For those of you that are my age...

Via Armbar

Has a pretty good dick.
Around 24 or so...how many of you have careers? Not just a job, but a legitimate career that you plan on having for many years to come? It's something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I did the whole entrepreneur thing and it was fun but I was in way over my head. I've completed college and planned to work in the music industry but that's something I found being less fun as a profession as opposed to a hobby. I'm just about in my mid-twenties and it's about time I decide on something that will keep me set for a large portion of my life.

I've been thinking about getting a degree in sports science, maybe teach kickboxing. It's good money and something I enjoy and don't see that changing. I don't plan on ever fighting as a profession so this is something related that is plausible. So what about you guys? Have you guys that are around my age decided on a career or already have on set?

I plan on doing the hair thing for a while. Might not turn out to be what I want to do for the rest of my life, but for now it's still fun and engaging, and pays better than many jobs.

Indeed I do, right now I'm in software development and I enjoy it so I plan on sticking with it for a long time to come. Hopefully I can work for myself instead of some random idiot some day but I hope to stay in software development for a long, long, time.

DirtyJosé;3437750 said:
I plan on doing the hair thing for a while. Might not turn out to be what I want to do for the rest of my life, but for now it's still fun and engaging, and pays better than many jobs.

Yeah that seems to be a good route to go since ya know...people will always have hair ha. And when people bald, younger folk will be there to take their place. I figured a degree in sports science and maybe coaching kickboxing or muay thai would be good because it pays well right away and with MMA becoming more and more popular I think the demand for trainers will be high.

I'm in the process of getting a certificate in Environmental Health & Safety. I orignially got into it for the safety side, due to all of my experience in warehouses and shit. I figured I might as well stick to what I know and try and get a job higher up the totem pole instead of being a laborer.

However, I'm finding myself much more fascinated with the Environmental Health side of the program. It's definitely the more dangerous of the two, but I'm really getting into this.

It's great to hear that you are thinking about this kind of stuff now. My advice when you are 24 would be to go in to a job assuming it is going to be your career but once you get going don't pigeon hole yourself in to that one career.

I worked for about 10 years in the same profession for the same company. The last few years were miserable. Since I have a family to support and couldn't just walk out the door, I spent a lot of time thinking I would be stuck doing it for the rest of my working life. Eventually I found a job that was different but required a similar skill set (I didn't have to go back to school). I am much happier (if you can be happy working) now in the new job but I can't say that I will be okay doing this for the rest of my working life. Good Luck!.

Yep I got a career, I've been at my current company for 3 years now, and it's definitely a job I can stay at for the rest of my life. Currently I'm an Internet/Data Technician and also one of three computer administrators in the company. $50k a year right now, but the benefits are really where it's at. It's a blessing to have a good health care plan especially when you have a family.

Of course the best advice I can give you is to look for a job you would love going to every single day. There is no point in working a job you can't stand going to, your life will end up being miserable. A full on career has positives and negatives. Positives are you'll be able to save and build for the future, but at the same time may limit your hobbies and general time you have available.

You seem to have the right idea, turn a hobby into a career. Working with computers was a hobby and I ended up turning into a career myself. Just be sure that you'll be able to support yourself with the career you decide to go into. Eventually one day you will want to retire and just enjoy life, find something that will allow you to reach that point.

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking about all this!

I'd love to be able to attain a career in the media production industry, and without wanting to jinx myself I've had an email through this morning that may be a step in that direction.

What's been frustrating is after 4 years in higher education (2 at college and 2 at Uni) and then leaving Uni with a first-class degree, in some ways it counts for little and I could have just tried to get my foot in the door of a company by starting out as a runner when I left college. However at Uni I increased my experience with different cameras and editing software so it was beneficial from a practical side although so much was simply theoretical stuff that wasn't industry specific.

Almost 27 now, but when I was 24, I was in the same career I am now. I followed the traditional path of high school -> college -> career. Love my job as teacher/computer tech assistant/webmaster, and don't even want to change.

I completed a degree is Business and Management Studies, specialing in Marketing.

I now work as a Marketing Assistant and I don't plan on moving to another career path in the future, unless this goes tits up. I expect to progress and move up the ranks and hopefully one day will be Head of Marketing somehwere.

I used to work at Vimto, and redesigned the artwork for the £15m confectionary range, and now the new packaging is starting to be seen in shops.

So far I have seen my Vimto Ice Lollies, Vimto Fruit Rope and now Vimto/Cherry Vimto Fruity Ice Cream toppings on sale. It is so cool to see a product that I designed the look of its in physical form on sale, gives me a buzz whenever I see one of them. :)

I'm in year two of a JD at the moment. I wanted to go for a PhD in Economics, but I needed about three more semesters worth of math classes and the wife (who's currently footing the bill) wasn't willing to wait 4.5/5 years.

Don't you have an MA in Psychology? Why don't you do something with that, or pursue further graduate work?

I work through a Staffing Agency and they find me 3 days of work here 3 days of work there and it FUCKING SUCKS. I work for 3 days bust my ass working 12+ hour days for the end result to be not needed anymore. Now I know how a ****e must feel.

I want a career it would be nice. I live in Florida maybe I need to meet some Cubans lol.

A career? Dunno, not much room for advancement unless I become foreman or go into business for myself (Lou Thesz does not approve), just recently I can go a week or two, sometimes three without any work, not that I am complaining at the minute, I love time off and I am working enough to get by. I'll still be a bricklayer in 10 years time I think, and to be fair, the moneys good now and even if I stay on the same pay it'll still be good then.

I can be a fickle bastard though, and while I dont mind working from 7:30 to 5:30 I'd rather not be doing it in my fifties and sixties, and frankly the way things are going I'll be long dead before retirement age, my dad complains now, at least he'll retire at 65, us lot'll be closer to 85. So I could see me going into private work and being self employed in the future, the plus side I have more freedom with my hours, the negative side is that work isnt anywhere near as guaranteed, gotta sort out my own taxes and all that and people seem to think that because your self employed you've more money than people in regular employment. Which let me tell you is generally a load of shit.

But, you know, dont worry about it, things dont generally work out like you plan them anyway.

Good stuff guys.

There are plenty of things I'm passionate about but with the way my mind works I lose interest in things quickly or become complacent easily. With the music thing, the stuff I used to enjoy doing become tedious and I got out before I stopped enjoying it altogether. I did enjoy running the restaurant but I was in way over my head. I really had no idea how to run it and luck and common sense can only take you so far with a business. I have credentials in other areas but that's kinda my point...I couldn't decide on what to do then and I don't want to waste time and money on more schooling that I won't need.

Ty pointed out something that is incredibly important to me when thinking about this and that is benefits. I have good dental and health insurance right now but that is only because the company my mom works for (she's in the medical field) covers her children until the age of 26. With the physical stress I put my body through regularly a good health plan is crucial. As of right now I'm leaning to getting my certification as a kickboxing instructor. I'll be able to do something I really enjoy and make pretty good money at it. Not to mention the opportunity to work at a fitness center/gym and also be able to do private lessons on my own time, increasing my income.

I just started as a financial planner.
The important thing when you find your first job, is to stick with it for at least a year. if you bounce around too much, no one will want to hire you since it takes time and money to train someone.

High school--->Undergrad--->Grad--->Doctorate--->Tenure

I guess I'm in a career then. Just going to take me another 6 years of school to get that doctorate. Can't wait 'til I'm 27.

Not sure really. There's a lot of money in what I do, and I like where I work now, but that's because the job is easy and there's only about 3 people who work there that are over 35, so it's a good environment. That being said, if you'd said to me two years ago that my career would be in IT, I would have been surprised to say the least. It depends on my next job really. By the time I'm 25, I'll be able to get jobs earning two or three times what I'm on now for less difficulty. At the same time, I could probably be an investment banker for 5 years, work from 6am-10pm, and then retire when I'm 30, so I don't really know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back