• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

First Impression's of "Hollywood's Own" Joey Ryan?

after seeing the little back and forth with taz on tonights gut check we will be seeing joey ryan again
it seemed like this might the beginning of a storyline and he will be a part of the IW roster

thats what i was thinking i could see joey ryan coming back at the next gutcheck or the one after that and trying for another shot but honestly i hope not i wasnt impressed with his promo or his match he looks like an idiot i hope he doesnt come back...ever but thats just me.

I pointed this out in the LD, I'll say it again.

In 2009 Joey Ryan turned down a contract offer from TNA. His reasons were understandable and simple: he is one of six who run, book and one of five of said six who compete weekly for Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, one of the top independent promotions not just in North America but probably the world. Some can argue they are just as good if not better than Ring of Honor. Ryan is one of the promotions focal points, not only this but from a publicity standpoint he has done both himself and his own promotion a world of good.

People will take a huge interest in Joey Ryan and they'll probably take notice of PWG. Did he work out something with TNA to work for them to simply be denied in Gut Check, I don't know. Will this transition into an angle, I don't know. But I did elude to this in the opening post and I'm not surprised at the initial "No" vote. Either way, if this was to get his name out there he has done a great job, because for two weeks in a row he trended worldwide on Twitter which means he got people talking. A helluva' lot more than Alex Silva did.

2 more things that bother me that I want to add.

1) When Pritchard in the back said that Ryan was a gimmick and not natural and with them wanting to move into reality it wasn't a good idea... M. Pritchard who the f gave you all wrestling minds the impression that we want more reality on our wrestling and less gimmick... STOP, STOP RIGHT NOW! People watch wrestling because it's fake. People watch wrestling because it's goofy. People watch wrestling because these guys are bigger and larger than life. I don't want generic wrestler in white trunk vs generic wrestler in black trunk, this is not MMA or boxing this is wrestling.

The WWE tried the reality route with generic guys without gimmick and they are slowly crawling back into gimmick world. My best memories of wrestling are the gimmick wrestler like Kane, Undertaker, Rock, Austin, Goldust, Doink, Hogan. As much as I like the athleticsm and skill of Daniel Bryan and CM Punk they wouldn't have catch fire in the big E without their gimmick. Someone on wrestlezone said lately that kids should take notes if they want to get in wrestling from guys like Joey Ryan. Do a gimmick, do something different. You can teach wrestling skills, but you can't teach charisma or the IT factor.

2) When Taz said that Ryan didn't looked like he was scared or about to fight and when he complained about his final plea speech. Newsflash, Ryan is a cocky heel he doesn't need to play scare or play like he's about to get in a big fight. He doesn't need to beg you, he need to look like he's better then you and your organization and that's what he did.

His gimmick and attitude are EXACTLY why 87% of the polled fans noticed him. It's the reason why you could have debut him on your roster tommorrow as your television champion and he would have fitted PERFECTLY. He already has the catchy gimmick, the attitude and the persona. He is tailored made for a big wrestling organization, he marketed himself in one night better than most guys who are on the payroll of the big two corporations.

But let's hope it's part of a bigger storyline, otherwise TNA management dropped the ball big time on that one.

J. Ryan was fantastic!

Amazing potential that would fit nicely on the x-division or to add more over the top weirdness to the tv championship feud with devon and the robbie´s...

the gimmick was perfect, thats a big part of the greatness and fun of prowrestling, so, whats all that pitchard chat about *reality*?¿?

Not signing him after they signed up the previous gut check tryout... it blows away any
credibility in the segment? why they do that? and why the bad mood with Taz?

what a dissapointment... Is an angle? i hope so...

I'm on Twitter and caught the trend of this, and I got one thing to say:

The fact that they turned down a competent, ready-to-go wrestler like "Hollywood" Joey Ryan and allowing themselves to give the blonde Brother bimbo Brooke the keys to the Knockout division is flat-out asinine. Even if it IS a storyline, what does it accomplish?! Joey Ryan is a heel, so either you're forcing him to make a character change because the online world is behind him now, and he'll be cheered if\when he gets a contract; or you're denouncing any heel-based wrestler on Gut Check so that the only way to get a contract is being a babyface and truly kissing the fans' and judges' asses.

If TNA\Impact is serious about doing these Gut Check segments, they better base it on who's ready to make an impact (no pun intended) and Joey Ryan is ready to compete in TNA\Impact. Whether he's a little green (which seems to be every descenders' argument) is irrelevant, because every rookie is green in their first go-round. Not everyone comes in ready to main-event.

Terrible booking decision.

My first impression was that he looks just like my mother in law's boyfriend.... My family all laughed about that for a very long time.

With that being said, I am very upset that the judges turned him down. He has a unique look so he would already stand out, did a decent heel promo, and THE FANS WANTED HIM TO GET CHOSEN! What is wrong with this company!? Then again, this is the same company that hired Brooke Hogan and thought that turning Abyss into a Superhero with Hogan's WWE Hall of Fame Ring would result in the next John Cena. It's a miracle they even still exist given some of the decisions they make. I did enjoy the segment, however I hope to see them say yes the next time a heel with great potential is standing in front of them. TNA made a mistake here because they lost out on a heel star waiting to happen.

I have been reading more about this, some say is an angle to make Ryan get the contract on destination x, some say is not an angle...

...what drove me the most insane is that Joey Ryan and the judges seemed to be communicating through completely separate universes. Joey in a world where suspension of disbelief exists, while the judges, namely Taz and Pritchard just came off as the "you know it's fake, right?" asshole judging him entirely on everything but wrestling ability and just making fun of him. None of what they said sounded reasonable....

And what about the recent tweets:

J Ryan:
"What a joke. @IMPACTWRESTLING is pathetic. I'm not good enough for your company? C'mon @TNADixie really? You make me laugh! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Don't bring me in just for your NO agenda. It's not my fault that Flair went into business for himself so why am I being punished?! Pritchard, @TheRealAlSnow & @OfficialTaz know that a NO is ridiculous. They know I'm money. I dare Tazz to say something to my face now. Somebody tell Johnny Ace he can reach me at [email protected] - I know he's not stupid enough to turn down money."

hotmail???

and Hogan:
"Working on the Ryan situation now."

Taz:

"Lots of Gut Check views from many of u. So, Joey Ryan has a cult following which I can appreciate that due to I'm kinda familiar w/cult followings. But, u need to "connect" with the masses..I don't think he does at this point in his career. I am a fan of his persona, but, when the "ding ding ding" happens u gotta be believable from a physical sense.
Some if u need to realize, I'm not on creative team, I'm not in talent relations. I'm an announcer, who now has input on ONE talent per month...so relax."

Two weeks ago, when his match aired, I was genuinely impressed by Joey Ryan's wrestling ability.

One week ago, when his promo aired, I was genuinely impressed by Joey Ryan's ability on the microphone.

Today, I just viewed his latest Youtube video and by god does the man talk sense.

What the hell were TNA thinking. Setting aside the 87% of the audience who wanted to see him get a contract, 100% of the AGENTS should want to see him get a contract.

Basically, they did have a NO agenda. Ric Flair went into business for himself, put them in an awkward position of giving Alex Silva a contract when they didn't want to and now Joey Ryan is paying the price as a sacrificial lamb to make Gut Check look legit again.

I hope to god this is an angle and he really does have a contract, because he's the one damn guy so far that deserved one. Silva sure as s*** didn't.

I think i saw him awhile ago at ROH wrestling, and back then i was very impressed by him.
Nice gimmick, nice moves. So i think TNA should give Ryan a contract.

Pre Gut Check:
I'd only seen Ryan on TNA's Ring Ka King.
The arrogance of his character was watered down, he never got a chance to do anything special in the ring and I don't think he ever spoke.
Basically, going into Gut Check, I figured this guy was an auto 'no' vote to keep the balance of hirings in line after that Silva-sham-thing.

Impression from Gut Check:
Holy crap, I love me some Ryan !!!

Thoughts after Gut Check:
Surely this is reality-show-wrestling to the next level, and Joey DOES have a roster spot.

How I would play it from here:
Joey crashes the next judges' decision segment after the judges have all voted 'yes' for some bozo. He then berates the fudge out of all of them.
The new Gut Check guy stands up for the judges by saying that to prove his worth, he will beat Ryan.
Joey then wipes the floor with him - which leads to Hogan coming out, stating that he is the overriding the judges as he is not going to "leave money for someone else to pick up".
Joey takes the contract, takes the mic, thanks Hogan .. but then 'heels it up' by saying he should have got the contract a month ago and that Hogan is an absolute fool for not making the decision earlier.
:la:

Why is everyone continually talking about the 'Flair stuff up'? People do realize that Al Snow and Pritchard voted yes so Silva was going to be signed regardless?

I'm spewing they didnt sign him but everything is leading to a work. They guy just oozes charisma and I can't see any reason why they wouldn't sign him. His line in the youtube video about Al Snow's balls was fucking awesome as well. :D

Why is everyone continually talking about the 'Flair stuff up'? People do realize that Al Snow and Pritchard voted yes so Silva was going to be signed regardless?

I'm spewing they didnt sign him but everything is leading to a work. They guy just oozes charisma and I can't see any reason why they wouldn't sign him. His line in the youtube video about Al Snow's balls was fucking awesome as well. :D

I know right lol a good majority of people believed that article too. Just shows how much influence the news sites really have, people will believe anything if it sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back