• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Favourite SummerSlam?

TerryMagowan

Dark Match Winner
i seen a few days ago people talking about summerslam match predictions, well personally i think summerslam has lost its meaning, its not so big anymore and its impossible to work a good feud in such a short time with a ppv every 2 weeks

so lets backtrack..what was your favoruite summerslam?

personally mine is 1997, it had everything good matches and good storylines especially the main event

Undertaker vs Bret Hart with shawn michaels as referee, if Bret lost he would never wrestle in america again and if shawn leaned in undertakers favor, he would also never wrestle in america..the match also had a very good ending

what do yous think?

For personal nostalgia '97 was awesome but '02 is probably my favorite due to the card being pretty solid and the long awaited and quite frankly unexpected ring return of HBK. The HHH/HBK feud ended up being one of the best feuds I can remember in my 21 yrs of being alive. HBK's feuds w/ Taker/Bret/HHH were some of the best.

I always enjoyed 1998 the most. First, it was my 1st ever PPV (I had only been watching a few months). Second, it is not only my favorite SummerSlam, but one of my all time favorite WWE events. I say that not having watched too many events that took place before '98. Only a handful.

D-Lo Brown vs. Val Venis: European title on the line, great opener

Oddities vs. Kaientai: 4-3 handicap match, this was just fun, funny, and ridiculous.

X-Pac vs. Jeff Jarrett ("Double J" back then): Hair vs. Hair, excellent match, funny aftermath, Howard Finkle plays a big role here.

Sable/Edge vs. Marc Mero/Jacqueline: Edge is a rookie back then, Sable screams her ass off, decent tag match

Ken Shamrock vs. Owen Hart (RIP): Lion's Den Match, great contest to wrap up a great rivalry.

Mankind vs. New Age Outlaws: Tag Team titles, Kane no-shows leaving Mankind partner-less, only 5 minutes long, and yet still 10 times the brutality we see in many street fights today.

The Rock vs. Triple H: Ladder match for the Intercontinental title, best match of the night, best match ever between the two, and one of the best in each other's careers. Too bad HHH's reign was cut short due to an injury sustained a week or two later.

Stone Cold vs. Undertaker: WWE title, just a straight up classic match to a finish. Great spot of Undertaker doing a leg drop of the top rope onto Austin laying on an announce table. Taker hands Austin the belt after the match ends.

You just don't see events like this anymore. It's VERY rare.

very true jeffo

my first ppv was actully summerslam 2000 which i thought was very good at the time with the long triangle between angle/hhh and stephanie really taking off

and we also seen that insane bump by shane omac

still dosnt beat summerslam 97 but still a very good ppv especially by todays standreds

My favorite SummerSlam is actually the PPV that got me into Pro Wrestling / Sports Entertainment, SummerSlam 89, Feel the Heat!! The Main Event was Hulk Hogan and Brutus “the Barber” Beekcake w/ Miss Eliziabeth vs. Randy “Macho Man” Savage and Zeus w/ Sensational Sherri. To me, it’s memorable, not because of the card itself, but the effect it had on me as a 10 year old who was starting to get into this. Imagine my delight after the PPV when the build up for Survivor Series 89 was started.

I can't nail down one Summer Slam because most have been pretty good but I'll go with Summer Slam '90 because it had two of my favorite matches ever--The Demolition vs Hart Foundation 2/3 falls for the WWF(E) tag titles and the Ultimate Warrior vs Ravishing Rick Rude for the Heavyweight title.

-2000-TLC 1 make this one special. Triple threat main event was great too. Taker-Kane and that crazy hardcore match between Blackman and Shane. Benot-Jericho 2 out 3 falls. That`s my favorite one.

-2002 was pretty good. Rock-Brock, Michaels in ring return, Angle-Mysterio. Great card that delivered.

-2001 was great . Austin vs. Angle was great , excellent ladder match between RVD and Jeff Hardy. Couple of others. Great stuff.

-1998. First high profile Taker-Austin match. Ladder Rock vs. HHH, Shamrock vs. Owen. That was a great one too.

-1997. I love the main event, had a great vibe with it. Overall card was not bad at all.

-1996 was good too, specially with the first Boiler Room Brawl.

I'm gonna be a little biased & go with Summer Slam 94, the 1st event held in the United Center. Bret vs. Owen in the cage & Undertaker vs. Undertaker.

CLASSICS!!!!

I've only caught ones since SummerSlam 2004, but I enjoyed last years bar Cena/Batista, not bashing them as wrestlers but the match could've been bettter, still enjoyed the rest, CM Punk/JBL worked a good match, had a good back-story to it.

For me I would say Summerslam 1991. It was the first WWF PPV i had seen and i was hooked from then on. The Bret Hart - Mr Perfect match for the IC title alone was well worth it. The rest of the card wasn’t that great but as i said before because it was the first full WWF ppv event i saw. It will always be that event that got me into wrestling.

I thought 1998s at MSG was strong. It was pretty much the height of the attitude era. You had great matches such as The Rock and HHH in a ladder match for the IC Title, Austin and the Undertaker fighting it out for the WWF title plus AC/DC’s Highway to Hell was the official theme tune for the event. Ya can’t get better than that.

i really like 2006 summerslam with batista vs booker and orton vs hulk and cena vs edge and dx vs mcmahons and more it was a really good summerslam with all my favorties winning accept for john cena hulk hogan put a ass kicking on randy orton and im glad because randy is a peice of crap bad wrestler hulkster is so much better then edge beat john cena but thats okay because i know cena is better than edge anyway because john cena gets to be in the movies and then dx beat the mcmahons and i was really happy because the mcmahons are mean and dx beat them up really bad and it was funny and i laughed and mr kennedy was there and there was other wresters there and then i was really happy because i like them best summer slam ever1

1996 was the first I had ordered live on PPV, does it hold any meaning to me? No, had it been the first ever I had seen on PPV like Royal RUmble 93, then it might.

So my pick for fav Summerslam would be Summerslam 90. Its one wrestling event I've seen the most times. Its full of good matches, great feuds that play out, some great backstage interviews. One of the best PPV intros ever. Maybe the best tag match EVER to have a run in finish. Has a double main event, and the first cage match on PPV.

2nd... would be the one with Brock vs Rock and HBK vs HHH

well out of all the Summerslam we have had some have been great while others are flat out bad. while i would rank 1997 as my number one just because it had better rival feuds and longer matches. HHH vs Rock Taker Vs Austin, and Owen vs Shamrock. great show. but recently i will go with 2006 you had Cena vs Edge and DX vs Mcmahons. Orton vs Hogan was OK although Randy clearly should have won this match to establish him as a true legend killer. Booker vs Batista was alright.

SummerSlam is one event that almost always delivers. I can't really think of a bad SummerSlam. With that said here are my top three:

2002: Great card from top to bottom. Angle and Mysterio got the show going right away. Also had great matches like Edge vs. Eddie and Benoit vs. RVD. We had a fresh new face in the main event in Brock Lesnar. And of course the return of the HeartBreak Kid in what might be the greatest match in SummerSlam history.

1997: In my opinion the WWF was in a slump during the first half of '97. They really needed a big show at that time and SummerSlam delivered in a big way. I think that event was the turning point for the WWF that really got things going the right direction to take over #1 again. If only Austin never got hurt. Arguably it made him even more popular, but it took years off his career and we missed out on what would have been a true classic with Owen Hart.

1991: One word: Masterpiece. I'm not talking about Chris Masters. I'm talking about the clinic Bret Hart and Mr. Perfect put on that night. This put Bret on the map as a singles star. I would have done the main event a little differently. I think instead of serving as the guest ref, Sid should have teamed with Hulk. That would free the Warrior to go against either Jake or Taker.

Those are my top three. It's hard to rank the rest because most of them are very good. SummerSlam doesn't have the same expectations as Mania so it's easier to deliver a great show. Here's hoping for Taker vs. Jericho this year.

My favorite SummerSlam by far was from 2005. 1992 is a close second.

Here was the card:

Chris Benoit defeated Orlando Jordan (United States Champion) - Funny one minute match. "Went to the bathroom and the match was over". (It was a fastly timed match on purpose)

Edge defeated Matt Hardy - This was the rivalry of the year. Great match

Rey Mysterio vs Eddie Guerrero (Ladder Match) - This match almost stole the night. It was an instant classic! Great build up & feud starting from wrestle mania.

Randy Orton defeated The Undertaker - Another solid match. Huge feud starting from wrestlemania. Taker really helped Orton progress.

John Cena (WWE Champion)defeats Chris Jericho - At the time, believed to be jericho's last match for a while. Solid match with an exciting finish. Crowd was anti-Cena.

Batista (World Heavyweight Champion) defeated John "Bradshaw" Layfield (No Holds Barred) - Great physical match. Violent, disgusting, and entertaining. Not to mention Batista retained in his home town.

Hulk Hogan defeated Shawn Michaels - 'Nuff said. Right? HBK overkilled the selling though.

That PPV's quality had a lot to do with the brand split since it was much more strict back then. Duo-branded PPV's were huge obviously.

i started watching wrestling in 1991 and my first ppv was survivor series when ut beat hogan for the title. but as far as ss goes, i have to say hands down 2002. one of the best openers ive seen, and the card was good start to finish. hbks return and his match with hhh was a classic, and the ME wasnt too bad either. how come no one mentioned 92? it might not have been the best, but i thought bret vs bulldog was a great match. i still watch it every now and again on the history of the IC title dvd.

I agree about '97 been a great card and the whole Hart/HBK/Taker thing. But my all-time fav card would have to be '94. The mystery of the second Taker with Leslie Neilsen was great stuff. The Luger/Tatanka angle with "who sold out" was one angle I really enjoyed at the time, but biggest match was the Bret vs Owen cage match. Not just because it's in the awesome blue cage that needs to be brought back, but because it is a killer match. A great build-up and great how they brought others from the family into it as well. All in all a killer card.

My All Time Favorite Summer Slam was Summer Slam 1991 for a few reasons 1. The Match Made In Hell Hogan Warroir Vs. The Trangle Of Terrior Sgt. Slaughter Genreal Adnian and Col Mustafa ( The Iron Sheik ) 2. The JailHouse Match The Big Boss Man vs The Mountie 3. The IC Title Match Mr. Perfect (Champion ) vs Bret '' Hitman'' Hart 4. Natraul Disaters Vs The Bushwakers not for the match tho this was one of the last apprences by the late Andre The Giant and Finally The Match Made In Heaven Randy Savage and Miss Elizabeth's Wedding and the Reception when Jake Roberts and The Undertaker beenin at the reception with the snakes in the gift boxes was just shockin for me at the time i was 9 when Summer Slam 91 happen

For me personally i really enjoyed SummerSlam 2005 I thought it had some pretty good moments

The night was started out with Orlando Jordan (c) vs. Chris Benoit for the U.s. title and the match ended up being a surprise squash match with Benoit winning, so being the Benoit mark that I am I enjoyed that opening segment

Then we went straight to Edge vs. Matt Hardy this rivalry has been quite controversial as it did include some deep personal issues but I loved this feud because the fact that there were some personal issues involved which IMO made it feel that more real. The match though could have been better but due to storyline reasons it wasn't.

Then we went to IMO the MOTN Rey Mysterio vs. Eddie Guerrero in a Ladder Match. These two put on one hell of an exciting match. This really kept the show' adrenaline going and it showed how good Mysterio can work in a ladder match environment, I really don't know why we haven't seen him in more

Next we had Kurt Angle vs. Eugene meh this wasn't that great but it was entertaining for what it was I guess

Then we had Randy Orton vs. Undertaker which was a pretty solid match, a little short for my taste but furthered their feud which was one good thing SmackDown had going at the time.

John Cena vs. Chris Jericho for the WWE title I thought this match was really good also as Jericho can work great matches with almost anyone and Cena is just great to watch these two had a decent fast paced match that was given time and throughly enjoyed.

Next up was Batista vs. JBL for world title meh a decent brawl i guess you could call this kinda similar to JBL vs. Finlay and well any other JBL match since they all end up being declared as "decent brawls" It was fun but nothing too special.

Then in the main event for the first time ever Hulk Hogan vs. Shawn Michaels in a epic dream match, may not have been one of HBK's best matches but IMO one of Hogan's best matches and was fun to watch especially with HBK over selling Hogan's "strength" and a great main even to end the show

This will always be my favorite SummerSlam and I even own a DVD copy of it ;)

mines is 2005 summerslam i mean the whole ppv rocked i mean name 1 bad match that was on that ppv there was none i mean look at the build up to it

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lyHgZ1YLwHo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lyHgZ1YLwHo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object
URL]

look at the card

Batista vs JBL No Holds Barred and this was when batista was actually good not like he is now

Kurt angle vs. eugene it was ok not a b4ad match

Matt vs. edge the name says it

John cena vs. Chris jericho Well jericho carried it but look at it it still was a very good match

Eddie vs. Rey dude people still talk about this awsome ladder match

Chris B$eniot vs. orlando Jordan quickest match in its history but had all of the crowd jumping look at it

Randy orton vs. Undertaker dude the summerslam rematch and the fued of the year come on

Main event

Hulk Hogan vs. The old Shawn heel Shanwn Micheals cmon well at least we got a good 1 from shawn7 an7d he was heel the last time he was heel

and the highlights rocked too

Raw Part

<div><object width="480" height="348"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x2mm6x_raw-summerslam-highlights_shortfilms&related=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x2mm6x_raw-summerslam-highlights_shortfilms&related=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="348" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2mm6x_raw-summerslam-highlights_shortfilms">Raw Summerslam Highlights</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/g-low2007">g-low2007</a>. - <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/us/channel/shortfilms">Classic TV and last night's shows, online.</a></i></div>

smackdowns part

<div><object width="480" height="348"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x20av0_smackdown-summerslam-recap_events&related=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x20av0_smackdown-summerslam-recap_events&related=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="348" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20av0_smackdown-summerslam-recap_events">Smackdown Summerslam recap</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/g-low2007">g-low2007</a>. - </i></div>

Mine has to be 98! 97 was awesome, but 98 was so much better, awesome feuds, and one of my favourite matches ever (cant stand the Rock, but he was great in this) against HHH!

HHH went from one of the most hated to loved from one SummerSlam to the next. Have to say this is one of his better matches - loved that ladder match. - Even Chyna played her part well! My first ppv I watched was the year before, yet other than Wrestlemania that was prob the best PPV of the year.

But then, the top reason has to be Austin Undertaker, was a great match, but when Taker told Kane where to go, I thought he would still come back out, gave a bit of suspense to an already awesome match!

I've actually been watching alot of them recently because i got the summerslam anthology so making a comparison to them all is pretty easy cuz its fresh in my head and the way I look it I've attended 3 summerslams one of which was the best of them all (2002) and another was one of, if not the worst (2007) and the other one was pretty good (1998)

I think my personal favorite is 98. You had a great card that led to great matches which isn't alway the case.. Triple H vs Rock was a great match. One of the better ladder matches put on. Though it is probably the best ladder match for two men of their size.

Mankind vs The Outlaws, was a solid match. I loved the promo before the match with Vince giving Mankind all of these weapons.

Austin vs Taker was a good match. One of the better matches that these two put on, considering that they didn't work the best with each other.

My favorite match from the card was the lion's den match between Shamrock and Owen. Some many things that I like about that match. Kinda wish that we would see that type of match again.

The other summerslam that I think was good was 02. With HBK returning and then with Rock vs Brock, but nothing compared to 98...

My favorite is 2000. Because it was the first ppv I ever saw, and it was also the first ppv that really wowed me and there were so mant good matches like TLC1, jericho vs benoit 2 out of 3 falls, and the Triple threat match for the the title with The Rock HHH and Kurt Angle.

2002 was special for me the return of HBK and Brock and Rock stood out

1992 from wembley with 80+ thousand fans solid championship match between macho man and warrior

one of the best IC matches ever with bret hart and the bulldog

and the crowd went nuts when the LOD came out on there bikes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back