• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Favorite WWE Pay Per View Concept

Favorite WWE Pay Per View Concept

• Royal Rumble – The Royal Rumble Match

• No Way Out – Elimination Chamber

• WrestleMania – The Granddaddy of Them All

• Backlash – WrestleMania Revenge

• Extreme Rules – “Extreme” Rules Matches

• Night of Champions – Every Match is a Title Match

• SummerSlam – Daddy of Them All

• Breaking Point – Submission Matches

• Hell In A Cell – All Hell In A Cell Matches

• Survivor Series – Survivor Series Tag Team Elimination Matches

• Judgment Day, The Bash, Bragging Rights, Armageddon – No Concept, just a “cool” name

Results are only viewable after voting.

King Patrick Star

K. O. T. R. 2007 -€“ Team Undisputed
14259514_1.jpg

The WWE seems to be going in the direction of having the PPVs sort of stand out from each other, with their new concepts, Breaking Point, Hell in a Cell, and Bragging Rights (Let’s see how long before they change their minds again). Usually after Mania before SummerSlam, things then to get a little slow and the only difference in PPVs are basically the name. My question is, what is your favorite WWE PPV Gimmick Match / Concept??

I, myself, love the Night Of Champions concept. Having all the Titles on the line in a single night gives me the sense of prestige this PPV potentially has. Given the fact that the WWE is the only company in the World that can actually have 9, well 8, different Champions, is amazing in itself. There is no other show on Earth that has that many Championship Matches in one day, right??

What are your opinions??

My favorite PPV gimmick was the original King of the Ring format with the tournament fought on one ppv rather than across a number of weeks. It showcased some great matches with superstars battling through 2 or even 3 matches in a night to earn a title shot (at least i think it was i may be mistaken).

From the current PPVs my favorite has to be Cyber sunday (or Annihilation or Bragging Rights or whatever its called this week). The fan participation was a nice touch and removed some of the feeling of the action being scripted and made it more spontaneous (even though we all know they must be prepared for each eventuality). I hope the name change doesn't mean the Gimmick has been dropped.

For the purpose of the poll im gonna have to go with the Royal Rumble, simply for the royal rumble match itself, a match that showcases the vast majority of the roster and usually has one or two surprises.

How the hell did I forget to add the King of the Ring and Taboo Tuesday / Cyber Sunday / Annihilation / Bragging Rights?? Well, I did add Bragging Rights, but I didn’t realize it was going to be same concept as Taboo Cyber Annihilation. I can’t seem to be able to edit polls. Is there a way for me to fix that and move Bragging Rights to it's on spot on the poll?? Oh well.

I have to go with No Way Out and the Elimination Chamber. I think the Chamber is like the Hell in a Cell of today. Nowadays, the Hell in a Cell match has been done so many times that it's just like a cage match but just bigger. In the Chamber match U actually have wrestlers who come in at Ramdom and you have a lot more action going on and more spots to look at. I really can't comment on the HIAC PPV or the Breaking point PPV cuz I haven't seen it yet and don't know how it's gonna work. I just don't see how the HIAC PPV will work. If every match is in the Cell, I think it will get boring pretty quick. It's like having a MITB PPV. There's only so many spots you can have in a night. Plus you have each Title's #1 contender on the line for both Chamber matches so it adds even more value to it.

No Way Out gets my vote. 90% of the time, no titles will change hands at NWO, just because it is so close to WrestleMania and they try to announce matches early, but the fact that the elimination chamber is used makes sure that the PPV is still interesting, even though you tend to have few title changes, with this past year being the exception.

My favorite is the Royal Rumble. It's where the most unexpected things happen. You never see a super star win it twice in a row, or three times a decade, etc., it's almost carefree and I like it. If 'Hell In A Cell' is really going to be "all" Hell in a Cell matches, I don't see how RAW is trying to become a family show, lol.

My favorite is the Royal Rumble. It's where the most unexpected things happen. You never see a super star win it twice in a row, or three times a decade, etc., it's almost carefree and I like it. If 'Hell In A Cell' is really going to be "all" Hell in a Cell matches, I don't see how RAW is trying to become a family show, lol.

Twice in a row?? Check the Royal Rumble 1991 / 1992, 1995 / 1996, and 1997 / 1998. Three times in 10 years?? Check the Royal Rumble 1997 / 1998 / 2001.

I do see what you're saying though. In today’s World, back to back RR are virtually non – existent / impossible. There’s just too many Superstars on the roster to have one Star win twice, let alone back to back. The days of Hogan, Michaels and Austin dominating the scene are long gone. You aren't suggesting Cena do it, are you??

royal rumble it is so unique and great to see 30 men battle it out for a shot to main event wrestlmania

I'm going for the one that didn't get an option. Taboo Tuesday/Cyber Sunday. Sure, its been pure shit for the whole five years it was around. I think the first one was moderately the best, but at the same time its brought us some very intriguing match-ups.

Taboo Tuesday: 2004: Shelton Benjamin/Chris Jericho: The reason I felt this match was one of the best of the night, is because Benjamin at the time was still on the rise. He was coming off his biggest moment in his Career, defeating every member of Evolution, excluding Randy Orton, and gaining a chance to win the Intercontinental Championship by being voted over the likes of Christian, by the fans.

Benjamin and Jericho put on a great match at this event, and ironically enough I think it was overlooked by a lot of people; in favor of H.H.H/H.B.K 349734730473, or Eugene/Bischoff. Hell, even Orton/Flair put on a decent Cage match that closed out the show.

2005: John Cena/Shawn Michaels/Kurt Angle: This is likely the only Main Event match-up of all of the shows, you'll likely see me pick as the best match of the night. Furthermore, the only reason for this is because Edge was pulled from the tag match that would've been amazing to see, with his partner being Masters, I believe, against Mysterio & Matt Hardy

All in all, nothing overly special about this Triple Threat, it was just a damn good 3-way.

Cyber Sunday: 2006: This was the initial show for the Pay per view to switch to a regular Sunday night basis, as apparently Tuesday was just too "Taboo" for the W.W.E. to continue with. This was also the only show in which all three Heavyweight Champions faced off, with one of the titles (to be decided by fan's votes) would be on the line. While that match was okay.. my personal favorite from this show was..

Ric Flair/Roddy Piper/Spirit Squad: Pure shit at its finest. Piper had a huge gut, and I believe cancer.. and he was still capable of carrying *Ha*Ha*Ha*Ha*Ha, and defeating a group of male cheerleaders. I was in Wrestling's warped wing of Heaven while watching this match.

2007: C.M Punk/The Miz: This was honestly Miz's big break, and a lot of people likely have failed to remember it. Miz was voted in as the opponent over his Tag team partner, John Morrison, or the huge Big Daddy V. This match, in my opinion, stole the show and was forgotten within a week.

2008: Matt Hardy/Evan Bourne: For the second straight year, it was the E.C.W Championship match that stole the show in my opinion, but it was also a match-up that everyone forgot about within a week because while it was great - it was pointless, and just purely placed there because the fans felt Bourne was a better selection than; Finlay or Mark Henry. (imagine that)

Final Thoughts: In the end, Taboo Tuesday was the best because it was on a Tuesday. I loved that concept in and of itself. Fuck having Pay per views always on a Sunday. It gets old, switch it up. Road/Hog Wild was on a Saturday for W.C.W, and Survivor Series used to be on Thanksgiving for sakes, I'm sure they could randomly place more Pay per views on different days.

The reason I think this show failed wasn't because of its lack of originality for what day it comes on.. but instead, because of its failure to give the fans more true options to pick from.

When you tell a fan the selections for a Heavyweight Main Event match are; Single's regular, No Countout's, or Last Man Standing.. OF COURSE you're getting a Last Man Standing match.

When you put a fan favorite in with a random no body that isn't over, and someone else that's widely booed and disliked, of course the fan favorite is going to get voted for. (H.B.K, over the likes of Edge, Benoit, Kennedy & Hardy)

In the end, they should've had harder selections. Like if you're gonna have Last Man Standing as 1 option, put the other two as Hell in a Cell, and possibly 3 Stages of Hell, with mystery stages. (hardcore, cage, ladder, cell, regular, etc - all being randomly picked out of a hat during each stage that's advanced to.)

Night of Champions.

Think about it. Every title defended during one night. Every one of them. Not a few, not just the heavyweight titles and a tag title if you're lucky. This is the night of gold, and the night where every champion could potentially lose his dream. The PPV's relevance is automatically through the roof. Other than Wrestlemania, it's the only one that I am always interested in the outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back