Favorite TNA Original

ProWrestlingFan

Championship Contender
TNA Originals - The wrestlers who have been with TNA since its early years. (Doesn't matter if they have been in ROH etc as they are independent wrestling promotions, also if they wrestled any dark matches in other promotions like WCW and WWF/WWE it dooesn't count)

AJ Styles : Debuted in TNA in 2002.
NWA World Heavyweight Champion (3 times)
NWA World Tag Team Champion (4 times) – with Jerry Lynn, Abyss, and Christopher Daniels
TNA Legends/Global/Television Champion (2 times)
TNA World Heavyweight Champion (1 time)
TNA World Tag Team Champion (2 times) – with Tomko and Kurt Angle
TNA X Division Champion (6 times)
First TNA Triple Crown Champion
First TNA Grand Slam Champion

Abyss - Debuted in TNA in 2002.
NWA World Heavyweight Champion (1 time)
NWA World Tag Team Champion (1 time) – with A.J. Styles
TNA Television Champion (1 time)
TNA X Division Champion (1 time)
Fourth TNA Triple Crown Champion
Second TNA Grand Slam Champion

Austin Aries - Debuted in TNA in 2005.
TNA World Tag Team Champion (1 time) - with Bobby Roode
Fifth TNA Triple Crown Champion

Bobby Roode - Debuted in TNA in 2004.
NWA World Tag Team Champion (2 times) – with Eric Young
TNA World Heavyweight Champion (1 time) - Longest reigning TNA World Heavyweight Champion in history.
TNA World Tag Team Champion(5 times) – with James Storm (4), and Austin Aries (1)
Bound for Glory Series Winner (2011)

Christopher Daniels - Debuted in TNA in 2002.
NWA World Tag Team Champion(6 times)– with Low Ki and Elix Skipper as Triple X (3), James Storm (1) and A.J. Styles (2)
TNA World Tag Team Champion (2 times)– with Kazarian
TNA X Division Champion (4 times)

Eric Young - Debuted in TNA in 2004.
NWA World Tag Team Champion (2 times) – with Bobby Roode
TNA World Tag Team Champion (2 times) – with Kaz (1) and Kevin Nash and Scott Hall (1)
TNA Legends/Global/Television Champion (2 times)

Kazarian - Debuted in TNA in 2003.
TNA World Tag Team Champion (3 times) – with Eric Young/Super Eric and Christopher Daniels (2)
TNA X Division Champion (5 times)

James Storm - Debuted in TNA in 2002.
NWA World Tag Team Champion (7 times)– with Chris Harris (6) and Christopher Daniels (1)
TNA World Tag Team Champion (4 times) – with Robert Roode

Who is your favorite TNA Orignial?

I'm really liking Christopher Daniels work as of late, but I have to say Bobby Roode has always been the guy that I thought should've held the World Championship out of Beer Money Inc. and his teaming with Aries has been beneficial for his character development as a Main Event guy I can totally see him holding the TNA World Championship again in 2013 and I can say the same for Aries but Roode is my favourite TNA original.

Austin Aries. He's a great wrestler, great talker and just an overall great performer. He reminds me of CM Punk in so many way that he's just so good in everything he does.

It has to be Bobby Roode (as you can tell by my sig), Christopher Daniels and AJ Styles, but if I had to pick one it would probably be Styles.

Bobby Roode is one of the best wrestlers in the world right now, but I only really became a fan of his during his time in Beer Money, what a great tag-team that was. Roode has become fantastic on the mic once he was given the opportunity to talk and it has been a pleasure seeing him develop into a true main eventer.

Daniels in my opinion has always been on of the most talented and underrated talents that TNA have had. Always entertaining, a great athlete and has a fantastic move set- the BME is still spectacular. Over the last year he has really come into his own and shown a new side to his personality with the comedy antics with Kazarian, and they are one of the highlights of Impact every week. I think Daniels would be a great TV Champion.

But you cannot look at TNA Originals and not go with AJ Styles. The man was truly phenomenal in the early days of the company, he just does not have a bad match and some of the moves he would throw out were incredible.

Yes, he has been overlooked in the last few years which I am disappointed about but he will be back on top sooner rather than later. AJ can have a good to great match with anyone, and has amazing chemistry in the ring with the likes of Daniels, Angle, Joe and many others. He has done it all in TNA, numerous times over and still remains one of the most over guys on the roster.

My pick- AJ Styles.

Why are Samoa Joe and Chris Sabin not included?

Joe has been with the company since June 2005 and hasn't left at any stage. There is nothing outside the Knockout division that the Samoan Submission machine hasn't won.

Chris has been with the TNA since 2003 and is still in their employ now recovering from an operation on his torn ACL injury. He is a four time X-Division winner and one time tag champ.

I've always maintained that AJ Styles should be the John Cena of TNA, and I stand by that notion.

One of the problems I personally have with TNA is that they've never built around anyone. A company needs a cornerstone, someone they can put out there as "their guy." They've done that for periods of time with Hardy, Angle, Styles, Joe, Jarrett, and Roode, but they've never settled on a guy. Sure, they refer to TNA as "the house that AJ built", but they've booked him as a comedy figure or flip-flopped him from the main event to the mid-card to off the card altogether.

When he's his natural self, Styles can be very good on the mic. Hes the most versatile wrestler within the company, as he can wrestle with power and as a high-flyer, and he's a great technician. He's got a ton of charisma, and he's shown he's capable of having good to great matches with just about anyone.

For me, this is a no-brainer. As I maintain Styles, after ten years(sound familar?), should be the face of the company, he's certainly my choice as TNA's top original guy. He was spotlighted from day 1, while it took years for guys like Roode, Aries, or Storm to get to the point where they had memorable matches and feuds. Styles has done that since day 1, and appears to be headed for something big once again. Even during the times they missed with the character(Prince AJ, Ric Flair #2), he still was putting on great matches and making those characters somewhat believable.

It's Styles all day long for me.

I am actually a big fan of everyone on the original list there.

But I have one major question...

Where is Samoa Joe?

Surely if you can have A-Double on this run down then you should have Joe. Despite the fact that Joe has a few classic matches in ROH, and had the most dominant world title run ever in that company, he is still considered by most to be a "TNA guy".

Aries on the other hand, despite a couple of shorter and only marginally successful runs in TNA(to be generous), until less than two years ago was always rightfully identified as more of an ROH guy.

So why does Aries, who has spent far more time outside of the company in the last seveal years, show up on your list of "originals", while Joe who has been a major player for nearly eight straight years does not?

Also Shelley and especially Sabin may warrant mention as well.

Why are Samoa Joe and Chris Sabin not included?

Yeah ....forgot to include Samoa Joe and Chris Sabin.

Samoa Joe - Debuted in TNA in 2005.
TNA Television Champion (1 time)
TNA World Tag Team Champion (2 times) – by himself (1), with Magnus (1)
King of the Mountain (2008)

Chris Sabin - Debuted in TNA in 2003.
TNA World Tag Team Champion (1 time) – with Alex Shelley

Also, Alex Shelly - Debuted in TNA in 2004.
TNA World Tag Team Champion (1 time) – with Chris Sabin

I am actually a big fan of everyone on the original list there.

But I have one major question...

Where is Samoa Joe?

Surely if you can have A-Double on this run down then you should have Joe. Despite the fact that Joe has a few classic matches in ROH, and had the most dominant world title run ever in that company, he is still considered by most to be a "TNA guy".

Aries on the other hand, despite a couple of shorter and only marginally successful runs in TNA(to be generous), until less than two years ago was always rightfully identified as more of an ROH guy.

So why does Aries, who has spent far more time outside of the company in the last seveal years, show up on your list of "originals", while Joe who has been a major player for nearly eight straight years does not?

Also Shelley and especially Sabin may warrant mention as well.

Yeah. I added Samoa Joe, Chris Sabin and Alex Shelly. BTW Samoa Joe is one of my favorite TNA Originals since he debuted in TNA.

Aries was a major part of X-Division in TNA till 2007.

Aries was a major part of X-Division in TNA till 2007.

I hate to be nitpicky about this, but since you felt the need to "correct" my Aries note, I thought I'd point this out:

Prior to his latest run that started in June of 2011...

Aries had two seperate runs with TNA.

Aries had his first stint with the company starting in August of '05 stretching until February of '06.

Aries had his second stint with the company starting in October of '06 stretching until April of '07.

That is one year total. In the first nine years of the company's existence he was rostered for one year.

In that one year's worth of action he competed in roughly 30 matches and never once competed in a title match of any kind.

So to call him a "major part of X-Division in TNA till 2007" seems to be pretty blatantly overstating his history with the company.

Aries's career with TNA prior to the summer of 2011 is basically a footnote at best in the company's history.

For me its got to be AJ Styles.

The man is amazing, he might not be 100% on the mic but the times that he is, he really grabs my attention.
He should be the Cena of TNA like someone above already said. He has done so much in his career and he helped build TNA since day one.
He, Daniels and Joe are the reason the X-Division flourished for song long. They all took chances and they all paid their dues.

The moment AJ beat Jarrett for the title I remember so many people tweeting and posting on facebook about how great it was. I mean even the crowd that night was incredible.

Im also loving the current AJ story. I WANT to now where it goes for a change instead of just watching because I can.

I hate to be nitpicky about this, but since you felt the need to "correct" my Aries note, I thought I'd point this out:

Prior to his latest run that started in June of 2011...

Aries had two seperate runs with TNA.

Aries had his first stint with the company starting in August of '05 stretching until February of '06.

Aries had his second stint with the company starting in October of '06 stretching until April of '07.

That is one year total. In the first nine years of the company's existence he was rostered for one year.

In that one year's worth of action he competed in roughly 30 matches and never once competed in a title match of any kind.

So to call him a "major part of X-Division in TNA till 2007" seems to be pretty blatantly overstating his history with the company.

Aries's career with TNA prior to the summer of 2011 is basically a footnote at best in the company's history.

I know. Thats why I never said he was in any title match I said he was a major part of X-division during 2005-2007. He wrestled many No.1 Contendor matches with Jerry Lynn, Chris Sabin, Senshi etc but never won. Still he was a big part of X-Division in those years when he competed under the name "Austin Starr".

AJ Styles, Austin Aries, Samoa Joe and Christopher Daniels are all ROH-Originals. According to the OP's logic, if you weren't in WWE, you're a TNA original. But you can't discredit ROH like that.

My favorite TNA original would probably be Chris Sabin with both Bobby Roode and James Storm coming close. The thing is, Sabin got me to actually follow TNA all those years ago. I tuned in to the show because I heard guys like Kevin Nash and The Dudleys were on it, but I stayed after seeing Chris Sabin have an amazing match. I've been a big fan ever since.

Other TNA Originals I'm a big fan of are Petey Williams, Awesome Kong, Abyss, Monty Brown, The Amazing Red, Tyler Black and Chris Hero (unless you count him as a CZW Original).

I know everyones giving this answer, and I dont wanna sound like I have his dick in my mouth but the answer is simply AJ Styles

And I guess everyones saying AJ cause well fuck...he deserves it. The Phenomenal One all day baby. When it was called NWA/TNA, when there were six sides, he held that company down delivered like no one else.

Only problem: hes always being fucked over by...I guess the writers?

Now Idk wth goes on behind those amusment park curtains but whoever the hell was responsible for making him angle and christians little bitch, had him dressing up as a turkey, had him in some weird ass storylines with karen angle, dixie carter, and overall whoever the hell put a guy like styles in these fucked up scandal storylines needs to be doused with gasoline and lit with fire.

I'm dead fucking serious.

Everyone's gonna get butthurt but TNA has no originals.

Calling ROH an independent company is a joke. They are the third biggest wrestling organization in the USA.

AJ Styles & Christopher Daniels both worked in WWE and WCW before TNA.

Samoa Joe & Kazarian both were trained by WWE and worked for WWE.

Roode & Young were actually a tag team in WWE and Roode also worked for WWC

James Storm was trained by WCW and worked for them.

And they all competed in TELEVISED matches. Not dark matches.

Monty 'Fuckin' Brown. He's the one that got me into TNA from reading about him in Powerslam Magazine. I just loved everything about this guy - his look, his power, his intensity, his charisma, THE POUNCE! He was a black Goldberg. Monty was really over with the TNA fans when I first started watching, but then Jeff Jarrett had to come and wreck it all up by beating him at Final Resolution and killing his momentum.

Really, now?
Calling ROH an independent company is a joke. They are the third biggest wrestling organization in the USA.
It's still pathetic by TNA's margin. Do they have a primetime TV slot? Nope. TV contracts in various countries? Nope. PPV transmitted worldwide via cable or satellite? Nope. Do they do world tours often? Nope. It's an indy. Deal with it.

Their recognition comes from their tenures in TNA.
But their largest exposure is TNA.
I shit piles of crap that look and smell better than WWC.

And?
It's like you're trying to find the fifth leg on the cat (Puertorican saying). We know these guys had prior exposure elsewhere. TNA didn't just pick up a bunch of totally green rookies. But their first true major exposure was in the form of TNA. Daniels was WWC Tag Team Champion in 1995, dude had one fuck of a mullet, but he gained his true exposure in TNA. Why? Because we saw him develop a character there from start and is still on. Same with Storm, EY, AJ, Kaz, Roode and so. Not to mention it's hard to disagree when they call themselves TNA originals.

Really?

And what about Undertaker, HHH, Kane, Steve Austin, Chris Jericho? They all were in WCW before WWE and they wrestled plenty of televised matches in WCW.

And AJ Styles, Samoa Joe etc they all call themselves "TNA Originals".

Every one of these Originals is great in their own way.

My favorite of the group is Austin Aries, he really is "the greatest man that ever lived". The guy has it all, awesome in the ring , great on the mic & a cocky attitude that always cracks me up. He's the most entertaining guy on the show in my book.

A guy that never fails to deliver in the ring is Bobby Roode. He has the perfect build for wrestling, he doesn't look over muscled like Robby T, but is built like a solid, strong, tough guy. He's an excellent heel, but needs to spice up his bland personality a bit. Always worth watching.

A guy that I've done a 180 on in the last 6 months is Christopher Daniels. I love how obnoxious he is and the way he fucks with the ringside marks. He puts on a solid performance in the ring and his promos always bring heat. Great entertainer.

I never was a big fan of Kaz, but teamed with Daniels he is somewhat entertaining. Good ring skills, but could use a little more personality. He's still an asset to the company.

The monster Abyss is a great character, especially when he disappears for a while and comes back pissed off about something. Think about how great he was when he was wielding "Janis". The Joseph Park character is one of the most popular in TNA and I personally love it. We are beginning to see signs of "Abyss" showing up in Parks, will he morf into Abyss or have a dual personality? Either way I'm intrigued.

I'm hoping TNA sends Eric Young in a serious direction, looks as though there may be a chance in the fight to fend off Aces & 8's. I've felt sorry for EY in his roll as comedy jobber, he can take care of business in the ring and was once in some bad ass factions. TNA please drop Eric on his head and bring him back to normal.

The Cowboy James Storm always gets a pop and is one of the most popular guys on Impact. His character is getting a little stale, but its not his fault because he hasn't been in an ongoing angle or feud since breaking up with Roode. TNA needs to get him involved in an long term storyline. Great in the ring and on the mic, he puts asses in the seats.

I can't count how many times TNA has fucked up with the Phenomenal AJ Styles, the man that is supposedly the face of the company. Two words, "Claire Lynch", enough said. I hope they have something in store for the bearded AJ angle, just don't make him a heel, it never works for him. What a waste of talent.

The Originals are great, now if TNA would only utilize the potential of the guys they have let slip through the cracks they would have a better product.

Ric-Flair.jpg

Best originals with TNA still is AJ Styles, Somoa Joe, and Sonjay Dutt is underrated. I would like to see some of the original x divisions come back like Amazing Red , Homicide, and Petey Williams

Don't care about the debate of what someone considers an original or not, the fact is everyone of them didn't start in TNA they were all acquired from other promotions either Indy or otherwise and say Kaz, AJ and Samoa Joe worked for WWE when they only had a few tryout matches is hardly "working for them" as opposed to the other side where someone mentioned Triple H, Austin, Taker that were all a big part of WCW's in it's early global televised days in one form or another and weren't just tryout matches, they were televised matches and even for titles. But who cares, it's about where they are moist recognised from, few people knew who they were til they hit TNA and got on a national show.

As for the question at hand from a pure wrestling point of view, it's hard to look past AJ, he's there HBK in that respect almost noone can touch him in the ring. Except...

as an overall performer tho, gotta say Chris Sabin, he is amazing in the ring and can talk the talk despite his size he's larger then life. MCMG was the best tag team pound for pound TNA ever had. They were like The best bits from The Hardy Boys and Edge and Christian combined.

Answer: Chris Sabin. in a very close tussel with AJ.

and Sabin was in the first TNA XDivision match i saw when it debuted in Australia I think it was the year WWF was not screened on Cable here due to a contract dispute.. Lucky for them :)

About the argument about what makes someone an original or not, well I feel that even if someone competed in a couple matches for another promotion, it doesn't make them an original to that brand. I believe its more about the company that gave you the stage and push to grow and reach new levels. Now under that logic Samoa Joe and others are TNA veterans, but not always TNA originals. I do however understand why people can argue that they are originals so I won't disagree with your opinions.

Now if I had to select one it would probably be Abyss. Early on he was an amazing threat and monster. If you haven't already, I recommend you watch AJ vs Abyss from Lockdown 2005. Now as the company continued haters referred to him as a Mankind / Kane ripoff. What those people didn't realize is that Abyss earned just as much respect with all the barbaric matches and great feuds he had. Another great aspect to his talent is the different stages of his character. Early on Abyss didn't even speak, today he is probably one of the best on the mic this business has ever seen. We saw him transition from James Mitchell's monster, to his puppet, to on his own, to Dr. Stevies patient, to Morgan tag champ partner, to Hogans buddy, to an important part of Immortal, and eventually to Joseph Park. No one could have played some of those roles as good as he did, or taken as much punishment as he had in his career.

I recommend people watch full matches, or catch highlights of some of these matches or feuds.

Abyss vs Monty Brown vs Raven
Abyss vs Sabu Barbwire Massacre
Abyss vs AJ Lockdown 2005
Monsters Ball 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, any Abyss Monster Ball match really lol
Abyss Lethal Lockdown matches
Abyss vs Rhino
Abyss vs Raven
Abyss vs Christian Cage 2006 (Theres a great home invasion segment too)
Abyss vs Sting World Title 2006
Abyss vs Tomko 2007
Abyss, Sting, Test vs Aj, Christian, Tomko 2007 Chamber of Blood
Abyss vs Angle 2007
Abyss vs Angle 2008 (incredible imo)
Abyss vs Judas (Barbwire match was good but had like no blood at all so match felt flat)
Abyss vs Morgan 2009
Abyss vs Stevie Richards
Abyss vs Cactus Jack Bound For Glory (Every segment from this feud was gold imo)
Abyss and Foley vs Raven and Stevie Richards
Abyss vs Anderson 2010
Abyss & Hogan vs AJ & Ric Flair (Incredible energy in the air)
Abyss vs Desmond Wolfe (Nigel)
Abyss vs RVD 2010
Abyss vs Bully Ray
Joseph Park vs Bully Ray

I'm sure I missed many but I loved the build to a lot of these! Also Abyss throwing Spike Dudley from the ring into the crowd at BFG 2006 was epic lol

I think that too much is made of guys being "originals" all that means is that they aren't complete wrestlers because they haven't wrestled all over and learned all the trades.

And "originals" can't grow a company. Take AJ Styles for instance. They pushed him to the moon and he had some great matches and got as big he possibly could in TNA, but he didn't help TNA at all because he was only known in TNA and thus could only get as big as TNA already was. The only way to make AJ any bigger was for him to leave TNA and win over a bigger audience or to make TNA bigger. And the only way to make TNA bigger was to bring in guys that were bigger than the company which is what they have done.

Really, now?
It's still pathetic by TNA's margin. Do they have a primetime TV slot? Nope. TV contracts in various countries? Nope. PPV transmitted worldwide via cable or satellite? Nope. Do they do world tours often? Nope. It's an indy. Deal with it.

Their recognition comes from their tenures in TNA.
But their largest exposure is TNA.
I shit piles of crap that look and smell better than WWC.

And?
It's like you're trying to find the fifth leg on the cat (Puertorican saying). We know these guys had prior exposure elsewhere. TNA didn't just pick up a bunch of totally green rookies. But their first true major exposure was in the form of TNA. Daniels was WWC Tag Team Champion in 1995, dude had one fuck of a mullet, but he gained his true exposure in TNA. Why? Because we saw him develop a character there from start and is still on. Same with Storm, EY, AJ, Kaz, Roode and so. Not to mention it's hard to disagree when they call themselves TNA originals.

ROH is owned by Sinclair, a billion-dollar corporation. It is aired on primetime in all Sinclair affiliates, which is to say, plenty of local FOX and ABC stations are airing ROH. And plenty of the people who don't watch it locally, catch up with it online and on DVDs. Ring of Honor has been making a profit for a long time while TNA has been in the red for years.

No one would call CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins or Antonio Cesaro a "WWE Original". They're ROH originals and there's a reason why so many people remember that.

Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Low Ki, Homicide... They all started in Ring of Honor. TNA was their second home, and even if it is their primary home at the moment, it doesn't change the fact they gained their real first exposure in ROH where they wrestled worldwide and became ROH World Champions.

This whole argument about whose a TNA Original is pretty silly. And those discrediting Ring of Honor are also pretty silly, considering guys like AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels were competing in BOTH organizations from around 2002-2006. So yes, that makes them just as easily Ring of Honor originals as they are TNA Originals.

The best way to count people as TNA Originals is to count them based on which company they've spent the most of their careers at, and where they've had the most success. AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels, for instance, have spent more time in TNA, despite spending a great amount of time in ROH too. Bobby Roode has spent the most of his career in TNA and definitely gained the most success of his career there. Same with James Storm, etc.

But, to disregard ROH is just silly. They are a major promotion, and they certainly are an organization that can claim AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Samoa Joe, and Austin Aries, as having success and gaining exposure there. In fact, when I look back the very first place I remember those names from IS Ring of Honor, not TNA.

A better way to define TNA Originals for this thread would simply be: Anyone who was in TNA during its first, initial year as a company, that is still with TNA today.

That would be: AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Chris Sabin, James Storm.
That's it. Unless you want to count the company's initial FIVE years of existence and use that as TNA Originals.
Then it would be AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Chris Sabin, James Storm, Abyss, Bobby Roode, Austin Aries, Alex Shelley, Samoa Joe, Sonjay Dutt, Petey Williams (if he's still remaining around), Hernandez, Eric Young, Gail Kim.

For me it's Christopher Daniels. He is far more entertaining then any of the other three, not to mention he's great in the ring and has had stellar feuds and matchs throughout his TNA history. It's a shame, really, that he's never been given the same opportunities as guys like AJ Styles and James Storm to be the World champion, etc. Daniels is better then both of them when you take into account the whole package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back