• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Favorite Movie From The 90's

z99zazn

S.O.S. (Used to be z99zazn)
What was your favorite movie from the 90's? This period in time had some of my absolute favorites. You have Pulp Fiction, which IMO is one of the greatest movies of all time. Samuel L. in that movie is amazing. Jules Winnfield is one of the coolest and baddest motherfuckers of all time! The more I watch it, the more I like it.

Also, Fight Club was amazing. Brad Pitt and Edward Norton did an amazing job. The story in this movie is great, and just like Pulp Fiction, I can watch it over and over and like it more each time.

Some other great movies are Friday, Half Baked, Goodfellas, The Matrix, The Silence of the Lambs, and just to pick a sports movie, Rudy. What do you guys think?

Toy Story.

It was a great movie and with me being a child when it came out I was really in to it. The 2nd one was even good and I figured that. I love pretty much any movie Pixar from the 90's. I'm really looking foward to Toy Story 3 next year when it comes out.

Airheads.

No must kidding, it was humorous though.

Reservoir Dogs is easily up there with Pulp Fiction. I also enjoyed the hell out of Desperado as it reminded me of the mindless action flicks of the 80's but had more style to it, the bar fight scene is an amazing sequence without the use of CGI or anything like that.

I'm on the boat with Fight Club as well. Not something I throw on when I need a picker upper though.

Goodfellas. Hands down. Especially since it is a true story. You have Robert DeNiro, Joe Pesci and Ray Liotta all together in a mob movie, doesn't get much better. And so much was left out from the book (Wiseguy), it is amazing all the criminal activity these guys did.
Heat and Fight Club are favorites as well.

That would have to be Scream for me. The witty humor and suspense of finding out who the killer was had me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

That would have to be Scream for me. The witty humor and suspense of finding out who the killer was had me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

I would have to say the best Movie for me for the 90's will have to be the one movie that turned me into an actor, the movie that set the tone for me and it would be something which will leave everyone scratching their heads...

Sleepless in seattle, the fact is the movie had everything that i ever needed, the story was great, the acting was credible and it had two of the best actors in the 90's playing roles such as Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.

There have been others of course, you have to think of character actors also such as Johhny Deep in edward scissorhands, that film really set an interesting tone for me, there are a hell of alot more as the 90's i felt was a time where actors made the movies, their acting there characters the way they represent themselves really made me look at entertainment and say wow, this is what actors should be, now days you get everyone and their mother attempting to be actors, people from reality tv shows doing nothing and models attempting to become actors with no prior training.

The best films where apart of the 90's and i hope that one day they bring the essence of acting back and stop letting every idiot who think they can act act, its pathetic.

The Shawshank Redemption, end of story. It was probably the best Stephen King adaptation ever, and Morgan Freeman carried that film on his back. Tim Robbins didn't hurt the cause, but Freeman was the narrative and emotional force in that movie. Robbins was great, don't get me wrong. But I still think Freeman was the true leading man.

And the scene where Brooks hangs himself? It had me crying when i was 12 and watched the movie, and it still gets the same reaction from me eventhough I know it's coming. When he puts on his suit, stands on the stool to carve his name in the banister, then they show him kicking away the stool after slowly running the noose around his neck....damn. That scene alone is what makes you fear for Red (Freeman) when he got out of jail and is put in the same room Brooks was in. You're left thinking "Holy shit....Red is going to off himself."

Pulp Fiction is a close second. Terrentino at his best, honestly. It's probably the only movie that has a disjointed timeline like that that I didn't automatically hate because it felt too jumbled. So many classic lines, also. People quote Pulp Fiction without even knowing it nowadays. Great, great movie.

Instead of rehashing the movies already listed, I'll add a couple to the list that I think deserve to be mentioned.

The Usual Suspects: A truly awesome movie, an amazing cast, and it gave us the use of Kaiser Soze as a verb, meaning to spoil the surprise twist ending to a movie. Thanks, Siskel & Ebert :(

The Sixth Sense: Bruce Willis, nuff said. Seriously though, disturbing images, a truly awesome surprise twist ending that was sublty hinted at throughout the movie, and that maddeningly hard to forget catchphrase, "I see dead people." Still M. Night Shyamalan's best work (since most of the rest has been crap.)

Groundhog Day: I can watch this movie over and over, which I suppose is rather fitting considering the subject of the movie. I can watch this movie over and over, which I suppose is rather fitting considering the subject of the movie. I can watch this movie over and over, which I suppose...

And finally, The Big Lebowsky: Just because I think it needs to be appreciated more...

Here's my list of favorite movies of the 1990s

Terminator 2: Judgement Day: This is HOW YOU DO A Sequel, A great cast, cool special effects and a great plot to boot.

Total Recall: It's a good film because it not only has a great cast but its based on the Phillip K. Dick story "We Can Remember it For You Wholesale" and it is one of the best Science Fiction films ever and it had me on the edge of my seat for the entire time

Rush Hour: I love this movie because of the humor and the action are balanced and the suspense in finding Council Han's daughter Soo Yung put me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

And Last, But not least

Goldeneye My favorite James Bond film outside of Goldfinger because not only is it Pierce Brosman's first 007 film but the film has some great action, drama and suspense and it gets better every time I see it.

Favorite movie of the 90's eh? I would definitely go with The Boondock Saints, and it is also my favorite movie of all time. The courtroom scene towards the end is simply brilliant. You have to kind of pay attention to the plot, because if you don't you may get lost with the action that is going on, and their "flashbacks" to the scenes.

I would also go with Fight Club, as Edward Norton is one of my favorite actors and Brad Pitt is awesome. I have not read the book, so I can't comment on how close the movie is to the book. But a movie based on guys kicking the crap out of each other, with no animosity or hatred towards one another, just fighting for the adrenaline rush and to get anger in general out of your system.

Lastly I will go with one that I am surprised isn't mentioned, as it is amazing and one of the best performances I have ever seen, American History X. The curb stomp is quite a gruesome scene, and i don't know about other people, but that made my jaw and mouth hurt for the rest of the movie. If you have not seen it, I highly recommend this film as it is a great understanding of the way some people think, and a way to possibly overcome the adversity you face.

My favorite movie? Well, purely for nostalgia reasons, I have to go with Space Jam.

I mean, back in the 90s, when I was a kid, this movie was everything I could have dreamed of. I was a huge fan of basketball in the day, and for some reason, the combination of Bugs Bunny and Michael Jordan made sure I was going to like it, no matter what.

Looking back at it now, it's a big steaming pile of crap. Wait, let me rephrase that; it's a big steaming pile of endorsement crap. This movie had more tie ins with Gatorade, McDonalds, Nike, and whatever god-awful product Michael Jordan was shilling at the time, and it wasn't even that subtle about how the endorsements were done. And in hindsight, the plot was absolutely ridiculous. First, we have a theme park (on the moon), who want to try and capture the Looney Tunes. So, they burrow underground to go find the Looney Tunes.

Look, I'm not even going to question the logic of cartoons living in the middle of the Earth, but I do have a special message for any producer currently reading this:

For the love of God, please, keep The Middle Earth to the dwarves, elfs, humans, and wizards that are Lord of the Rings. If you fail to do so, so God help me, I will find a way to break into your homes, wake you in your sleep, and punch you so hard in the testicles, you're unborn great-grandchildren will feel it. Let's keep Middle Earth as it is. No Looney Tunes.

Anyway, aside from the horrible plot, and the 2D to 3D interaction that made absolutely no sense, this was one of my favorite kids movies. It's kind of like how you look at clowns. When you were a kid, they were just fun-loving. When you got older, you realized they were alcoholic psychos that shouldn't be placed anywhere near your children.

Such is the case of Space Jam.

I don't think it's the best movie of the 90's, but The American President is getting no love.

Despite the fact that Michael Douglas played an unrepentant liberal, I think that the acting was wonderful. Martin Sheen should be called upon to be the supporting actor of the male lead in every movie. Annette Benning turned in her best work as well.

I loved the way that the two stories caught each other at the end too. Love and politics don't mix in real life, but it is nice to see a movie where even a politician can be swung in the right direction through the guidance of his heart.

No love for a movie you say?

One is missing from this set.

tons o' fun with fucking Dinosaurs

JURASSIC PARK!

My absolute favourite movie as a kid, and still is one of my top 3, maybe even #1. The movie that made me fall deeply in love with monsters. The movie that made Tyrannosaurs Rex the coolest mother fucker of all time. The movie that made 12 gauge shot guns my favourite fire arm. the movie that made me a little scared of bathroom stalls. Damn it was an epic movie, and I still watch it to this day for a good watch (for over the 100th time).

Fight Club

Easily my fave movie of all time. It's deep, clever, funny and portrays it's message brilliantly. Instead of using the protagonist to shove the message down your throat, they use the antagonist (or at least, the guy who becomes the antagonist) to put forward the message. I think this is a stroke of genius. Add in the great performances by Pitt and Norton and it's pretty close to flawless.

The Truman Show
I don't know why nobody has mentioned this already, maybe I'm the only person who remembers it.... Maybe I'm the only person who likes it.
Either way, great movie. It showed how good Jim Carrey was when he wasn't talking out of his ass (literally). And his performance makes you feel such sympathy for the character, you're cheering for him to escape.
And it created Truman syndrome, the paranoia that we are being watched. Which, apparently, 9/10 people feel at least once in their life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back