• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Favorite Matches of All Time

Frogsplsh38

The Best in the World at What I Do
Hey guys, I just wanted to see what your all time favorite matches are. Great wrestling matches could consist of exciting and dangerous moves, back and forth momentum, great technical wrestling, unexpected finishes and more. So I'll get started, in no particular order:

No Way Out 2006: Kurt Angle (c) vs. The Undertaker for the World Heavyweight Championship

If I recall correctly, the big thing going into this match was that neither Angle or the Deadman had ever tapped out in their careers. With Angle's Ankle Lock and the Undertaker's Triangle Choke, it looked like something had to give here. There were some very exciting spots and I really enjoyed the action that went on outside of the ring. My favorite moment was when Angle put Taker through the announce table with an Angle Slam and then as the ref reached 9 in his count and the Undertaker was mot moving, Angle stopped the ref from counting him out. This is why I love Angle, he didn't want the match to end that way. After this happened they got in the ring and both used their submission holds with neither one tapping out. As Taker got Angle in a Triangle Choke, Angle flipped over and got Taker on his shoulders and the ref counted the pin. Angle retained. Great finish to a great match.

Survivor Series 2002: Elimination Chamber for the World Heavyweight Championship (Triple H (c) vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Rob Van Dam vs. Booker T vs. Chris Jericho vs. Kane)

The first ever Elimination Chamber and by far the best. It couldn't have started off better with The Game and RVD starting off the match. There were high spots everywhere. With RVD's "Spider Man" on the chamber wall, RVD giving Trips the Five Star Frog Splash off the top of the chamber, men getting thrown through the glass in the chamber, and an incredible finish. Triple H had lasted the whole match and was bloody and tired and it came down to him and HBK in only his 2nd match since coming off his 4 year long absence. Both men were battered and beaten. HBK actually kicked out of a Pedigree and as Trips tried another one, HBK countered and hit Trips with Sweet Chin Music and won the World Heavyweight Championship. Great to see from my all time favorite wrestler. Amazing match.

Wrestlemania 26: The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels II

Now, in terms of pure wrestling, I think their first match was a little better but I just loved the way this one was set up. With Shawn becoming obsessed with beating the Undertaker and stopping at nothing to face him at Wrestlemania. Taker kept denying Shawn the chance but Shawn wouldn't quit. His frustrations after getting eliminated in the Royal Rumble showed how badly he wanted this. My favorite part about this was at the Elimination Chamber when Shawn popped up from under the chamber and cost Undertaker the World Heavyweight Championship. Taker had no choice but to give Shawn another shot at the streak. This match just had such great build up to it and it did not disappoint. There were times where I really thought the streak was going to end. And I would've been okay with that because of my love for HBK but another incredible finish gave the victory to the Undertaker and ended the greatest career in WWE history for Shawn Michaels.

So there's my favorite matches. I'd love to know yours!

My favorite match of all time would have to be Undertaker and Hbk's first mania match. The build up was tremendous with Shawn playing the light version of Taker. His promos were amazing, and the first time he came out on Smackdown dressing in the white version of Taker garb was the first time I was on the edge of my seat for a promo in a long time. Then the match itself was amazing back and forth action. Again it was the first time I thought Undertaker's streak was in jeopardy. I was actually yelling at my tv, and being an avid HBK fan I really wanted him to end the streak and I thought if they would let anyone do it, it would be Shawn. The second match was set up very well to, but for me the first was the total package, and I still go back and watch it at least once a month.

I personally think the best match of all time is Bret vs Austin from Wrestlemania 13. However, my personal favorite is Rock vs. Austin from Wrestlemania 17. That much was total non stop action from start to finish. Many critics don't like the ending, but I LOVED it. They played it out soo perfect IMO. That match defined an era and one of the greatest feuds of all time. A definite 5 star classic in my eyes, even though many would probably not agree.

No one will say this match but this match means alot to me and that match is Cena vs HHH at Mania 22. Why? Well I am a Cena fan and i was 13 at the time this was around the time the boos started to get heavy so i thought they could drop the title on HHH. With all that in mind it was the first time I forgot wrestling was fake. I was in the moment i thought it could have went either way and the crowd was into the match so i was really pumped also.

The only other time that has happened to me was Cena vs Punk and Money in the Bank. So i guess that is my second fav

The funny thing about Cena/HHH from WM22 and Cena/Punk from MITB is that both of those matches took place in the same arena. The Allstate Arena in suburban Chicago. Me personally my favorite match would have to be Bret Hart vs Davey Boy Smith from SummerSlam 1992. It was such a great back and forth match and it was the match that pretty much put Bret into the WWF/WWE title picture.

It's tough to pick a favorite match. Each big one means a lot to the viewers and some catch on to certain matches and fall in love. But if I were to choose...

HBK vs Y2J at WM XIX - Insane match. Such emotionally driven moves by both superstars. Y2J using HBK's moves and taunting him made it much more intense. Beautiful story told by them.

HBK vs Flair at WM XXIV - Another perfect story told by 2 legends. Ric Flair's retirement match was one of the best he ever put on. HBK showed sincere remorse before the last SCM to win the match.

Taker vs HBK WM XXV and XXVI - both amazing. Words cant describe how incredible these two matches were. Back and forth the whole time. It actually felt like Shawn would beat the Undertaker, but obviously, Taker wins.

To be honest, I also loved Taker vs HHH 2 at WM XXVII. So many people say it sucked, but it told one hell of a story. Both guys put all they could into this match.

It's very easy to say the 'best' matches I've ever seen are your usual suspects: Bret/Austin, Bret/Shawn Iron Man, Flair/Steamboat, Bret/Bulldog '92, Shawn/Razor WMX, Angle/Lesnar WM19 etc, but my actual favourites show me up for the filthy attitude era/Mick Foley/HIAC mark that I am. What makes these matches for me are the memories, and the emotion they inspired in a young, less cynical version of me.

1) Cactus Jack vs Triple H @ Royal Rumble 2000 - I'd hope no explanation. The build and execution of this match has never - and will never - be topped.

2) Cactus vs Triple H @ No Way Out 2000 - Continuation of the above. Amazing spots, and emotional as hell.

3) Rock vs Triple H @ Backlash 2000. OH MY GOD. Goosebumps! The pop for Stone Cold is just ridiculous. Sends a shiver down my spine each time.

4) Mankind vs Underaker @ KOTR 1998. Now, I've been guilty of dismissing this 'match' as nothing but a hokey spotfest, but every time I watch it, I can't fail to be moved by Mick's performance. The things this man was willing to do for the fans. Nobody could have sensibly imagined he'd continue after that bump. There will NEVER be another like him. My favourite moment is when JR realises that Mick is up off the stretcher. Amazing.

5) Rock vs Austin @ WM17. No explanation needed.

Also, must mention Jericho vs Triple H at Fully Loaded 2000. A near forgotten match, from a terribly underrated event. Really put Jericho over as a main eventer.

My favorite match ever is an easy choice. It happened 8 years before i was even born but it has to be Magnum TA vs Tully Blanchard at Starcade 1985 in the I quit match. I've never seen so much hatred in one match. From start to finish they were just going after each other non stop. To make it even better Tully never actually said I quit he only screamed YESSSSSSS while getting a chair leg stuck into his fucking eye that's so bad ass i cant even begin to describe it. This match was the original brawler vs technical guy which was rehashed by Vince a couple years later with Bret and Austin but it wasn't anywhere near as good.

A distant second for me is Kenta Kobashi vs Samoa Joe. Kobashi may very well be the best in ring performer to ever grace this earth, and with that being said 2005 was without a doubt the year of Joe. These two met up at exactly the right time and the crowd was excellent. Kobashi used Chops throughout the whole match and Joe just continued to say Bitch!!! that's all you got.

If you've never seen these matches look them up on youtube right now.

Like many here, I don't really have a favourite match so I'll post 5 that made me mark out in no particular order.

Cena vs RVD ONS 2006. Even though Cena was the guy that got me seriously into wrestling in 2003 at 12-13 years old with his rapper gimmick I loved the crowd in this match. This match really went another level when Cena started dominating and the crowd sensed he had come to play so to speak. Then Edge cost him the match and a great feud was only intensified. Loved the summer of 2006 just for this feud.

Kurt Angle vs Undertaker- No Way Out 2006. This was a great match. Just two great ring technicians going at it.

Jeff Hardy vs Undertaker Ladder Match RAW 2002. Yes, this match. JR's commentary is legendary and the match itself is pretty good too. Michael Cole should feel shame! Enough said.

HBK vs Kurt Angle WM 21. Another amazing pure wrestling match.

The Rock vs Stone Cold WM 17. As another poster said, just nonstop action with an unexpected ending to say the least. SCSA ended up being a great heel after this.

Kurt Angle vs Rey Mysterio @ Summerslam 2002
It was only a ten minute opening match, but the pace and timing were unreal. First time I saw it I had to rewind the tape and watch the match again.

Austin Aries vs Jack Evans vs Low Ki vs Zema Ion @ Destination X 2011
Four guys giving it everything got. The best fatal four-way ever.

Cena vs RVD @ ONS 2006
The best wrestling crowd ever.

Bret Hart vs Stone Cold @ WM 13
One of the best matches ever. Requires no explanation.

Chris Benoit vs Shawn Michaels vs HHH @ WM 20
A fantastic triple threat match with a great ending.

My pick is probably not only my favorite match of all time but the most important match I ever witnessed.

I recall the night of March 30, 2008 as I went live to my first Wrestlemania (24) which was also my first live event and only to date. Shawn Micheals vs Ric Flair astonished me even after the excellent Money in the Bank ladder match. Going in I thought "yea these 2 should have a good match". Up until that point I had not yet seen the mastery of storytelling that was capable of being exhibited by Micheals and Flair. Part of me already heading in knew that Flair was going to loose. 20 minutes later regardless of the initial lack of of glee and excitement coming from me, my jaw dropped as a result of how good that match was.

The selling, the spots, the false finished and the heartbreaking ending that "retired" one of the best in history. That night I truly saw that Shawn Micheals really as a showstopper and that Flair was a masterful storyteller. Even the pyrotechnics and fireworks to gloss over the entrances gave the arena that night a truly special feel. They easily captured our emotional investment and kept the arena on their feet.

Not only is it the best I have seen, but the best experience of my entire existence to this day.

Fav match of all time, probably Flair vs Steamboat at Music City Showdown in May 89 (Flair wins the title back). The fact these guys had three high profile main event matches in such a short time and managed to keep each one fresh and different was a testament to their abilities, one the reasons this series is regarded as one of the absolute best of all time.

Flair-Steamboat always had excellent pacing, selling, and a great mix of technical wrestling and brawling with just right amount of high spots (mostly by Flair). The fact that two of the three matches finished in the Top 3 in voting in the annual Pro Wrestling Illustrated Awards is further testament to the brilliance of this series.

My Favourite match has to be Edge vs John Cena in a TLC Match because Edge was one of the first people to compete in a TLC match and going in everyone thought he would win but SuperCena came out the victor which took everyone by surprise!

I'm going to go with Paralyzer Z - despite being an emotional wreck over the match, it is easily my favorite match ever - Shawn Michaels and Ric Flair in a masterful piece of storytelling. I've seen more Ric Flair matches than I care to count - but with this one being his retirement bout and the theatrical expertise that was shown by both man made me truly appreciate the art of professional wrestling.

My second favorite match would be a tie between Terry Funk vs. Ric Flair in the "I Quit" match and Hogan vs. The Rock.

It's very easy to say the 'best' matches I've ever seen are your usual suspects: Bret/Austin, Bret/Shawn Iron Man, Flair/Steamboat, Bret/Bulldog '92, Shawn/Razor WMX, Angle/Lesnar WM19 etc, but my actual favourites show me up for the filthy attitude era/Mick Foley/HIAC mark that I am. What makes these matches for me are the memories, and the emotion they inspired in a young, less cynical version of me.

1) Cactus Jack vs Triple H @ Royal Rumble 2000 - I'd hope no explanation. The build and execution of this match has never - and will never - be topped.

2) Cactus vs Triple H @ No Way Out 2000 - Continuation of the above. Amazing spots, and emotional as hell.

3) Rock vs Triple H @ Backlash 2000. OH MY GOD. Goosebumps! The pop for Stone Cold is just ridiculous. Sends a shiver down my spine each time.

4) Mankind vs Underaker @ KOTR 1998. Now, I've been guilty of dismissing this 'match' as nothing but a hokey spotfest, but every time I watch it, I can't fail to be moved by Mick's performance. The things this man was willing to do for the fans. Nobody could have sensibly imagined he'd continue after that bump. There will NEVER be another like him. My favourite moment is when JR realises that Mick is up off the stretcher. Amazing.

5) Rock vs Austin @ WM17. No explanation needed.

Also, must mention Jericho vs Triple H at Fully Loaded 2000. A near forgotten match, from a terribly underrated event. Really put Jericho over as a main eventer.

I have to go back and watch Mankind vs Taker HITC about once every month. The thing that gets me the most is that i was about 17 at the time and Mellon arena was about 1 hour away from my house. It never occurred to us at that time to go. When JR yells GOOD GOD GOOD GOD THEY KILLED HIM! you believe it. Mick's performance coupled with JR's announcing get you so invested in the match, and I am taking still now when I go back and watch it. Good call on picking this match.

i've been always a fan of the match Bret vs Owen in steel cage match at Summerslam 94,very intense with an crazy final,a good classic in the carrer of the Hit man.

One match that i loved is Bret Hart vs Taker with Shawn as guest referee in Summerslam 97,the technical moveset of Bret has changed during this match when he locked the taker legs in the corner ring,extraordinary resistance of the dead man during the match and the first to broke the Sharpshooter.
For finish the match between Razor and Diesel at Summerslam 94, with the finish when Shawn makes the sweet chinmusic to the head of Diesel and mark the second tittle intercontinental for Razor.

My top 5, here it goes;
1. Triple H v Cactus Jack Royal Rumble 2000

This match was brutal, not a dull moment, to see Foley being driven face 1st into thumb tacks was unreal

2. Hardyz v Dudleyz v E+C TLC WM17

To see 6 young men put their bodys on the line like this was amazing and set the standard for years, very fond memories of watching this live

3.Undertaker v HBK WM25

A real showcase with both men at their best

4.Undertaker v HBK WM26

Didnt think it would surpass the 1st match, but it did and was a fitting end to HBK'S career

5.The Rock v Stone Cold Steve Austin WM17

Again, watched it live, was torn between who i wanted to win, and the ending shocked me, possibly the best wrestlemainia main event ever IMO

Honourable mentions to; HBK v Y2J WM19, Mankind v Taker hell in a cell and Hardyz v Dudleyz Table match at Royal Rumble 2000, all brilliant contests

Ric Flair (w/Mr. Perfect) vs Randy Savage (w/Elizabeth) at Wrestlemania 8

It's not a technical masterpiece, and I'm not even a big fan of Flair, but this match is my must-watch match.
When you take great wrestlers, add an old-fashioned story of a man defending his wife's honor, and put it all on a grand stage, you get awesome.

One match for me, rises above all...

Wrestlemania 27- Triple H vs. The Undertaker
The buildup was GREAT!!! It painted the picture that there were two last legends in the WWE. Triple H had done everything he could do, EXCEPT end The Undertaker's streak. So with the stage set, the King of Kings and the Deadman simply put, had an all out WAR. The match was incredible. And simple gestures and looks spoke louder than any microphone could get. Simple looks like Triple H holding a sledgehammer, and watching in astonishment after Undertaker broke out of a pin just amazed me. And as Triple H landed the tombstone piledriver, for the 1st time ever I thought the streak was going to end. And when Triple H tapped, you could FEEL his dissapointment. But also, for the 1st time since we ever saw The Undertaker, the Phenom seemed mortal as he was taken away on a stretcher. The buildup, awesome. The storytelling, unparralelled. The match quality, unparralelled. The power of the match... UNHEARD OF!!! Best match ever imo.

Shawn Michaels v.s Undertaker, WrestleMania XXV.

There have been some amazing matches where I have sat back and enjoyed the wrestling being played out in front of me on my TV. But 99% of the time, I am aware I am watching wrestling, so therefore I'm looking at the way the moves are being executed and everything else. And whilst this was the case for this match too, I have never been that emotionally invested in a wrestling match than I was for this. It's the strangest feeling I have ever had as a fan, because I felt like for 35 minutes I was having an out of body experience whilst watching it, and I've never had that since. My heart was racing for the entire length of the match and when Shawn kicked out of the tombstone piledriver, I was ready to pass out with excitement. When it was all said and done, I felt in a daze for a good hour afterwards and that's one of the main reasons why I couldn't care less for whatever happened afterwards. This is my favourite match of all time for that reason, because for 35 minutes I felt like I wasn't actually watching wrestling, but instead I was watching a live demonstration of art being played out in front of me and I will never, ever forget the feeling I had whilst watching this at the time.

Shawn Michaels vs Razor Ramon, Ladder-Match at Wrestlemania X

from the first Wrestlemania i ever watched. watched it again a few weeks ago and it doesn't get old. very intense and very well performed.

Bulldog vs Bret Hart at Summerslam 92 stands out too.

HBK is on lots of lists btw, shows what a great performer he was.

My favourite matches in no particular order are:

Sting vs Diamond Dallas Page on Nitro 1999. DDP had won the belt and Sting had returned and Piper gave him a title shot. The match had absolutely everything, which ended with the counter of the Diamond Cutter with the Scorpion Deathdrop to win the World title! The pop from the huge crowd was amazing and the good guy triumphed over the cowardly heel champion.

Kenta Kobashi vs. Jun Akiyama Prowrestling Noah 2004. These two guys were now the very best of the best. Two tanks hitting each other with everything they had in a 5 star in ring (and out) war for the GHC title. Both men considered the ace of the company had a four year rivalry that culminated at this match which saw both guys take huge bumps to take the title from each other. Kobashi had to use his Burnig Hammer to put his evil nemesis away and retain the Championship!

The Unbreakable 3 way -Joe/Styles/Daniels... I think it is a testemant to such a match that everyone talks about how good it is and not really who won, because in the end Prowrestling and it's fans were as these three men at the top of their games took it to an all new level...

One of my favorite matches was when Hulk Hogan game back to the WWWE to wrestle the Iron Sheik at MSG. The building was actually vibrating when Hulk Hogan made his grand entrance. One of a kind, pure electricity...

Stone Cold vs The Rock WM 17. A bit of an anti-climatic finish but shocking nonetheless. I enjoyed the match and it's the best one they ever had.

Stone Cold vs The Rock WM 19. This is my personal favorite since The Rock went over him clean. Finally, The Rock did it all. I loved Rock's tactics in this match; he really carried Austin most of the way since Austin was in pretty terrible shape and that's obvious in retrospect since he said that was going to be his last match and he was really hurting. Rock working the crowd by taunting them and mocking Austin really upped the atmosphere and the involvement of the crowd which made it much more entertaining.

TLC II at WM 17. Some of my favorite spots in all of wrestling and gotta give them props for taking those bumps. The Edge spear to Jeff off the ladder sticks out as my favorite moment.

HBK vs Taker WM 25. I prefer this one to their next one mostly because this one set the standard way too high and I liked JR calling the match.

Benoit vs Angle RR 2003. Two technicians putting up a wrestling classic involving one-upmanship and just great wrestling overall.

Hogan vs The Rock WM 18. One word. Electrifying. The atmosphere really makes me get much more involved in the match.

CM Punk vs Cena MITB 2011. Same reason as above.

RVD vs Cena ONS 2006. Same reason as above. Great ECW crowd that gave Cena everything he deserved.

this is pretty hard but here goes.

WM 21: HBK vs Kurt Angle
this match was excellent with both men showing off their incredible wrestling skills. and it was filled with good spots like when Shawn did a springboard cross body onto Angle when he was on the announcers table.

WM 10: Razor Ramon vs HBK
not only was this an exciting match but it was also the first ladder match that introduced a new match that fans enjoy. back and forth action between these two performers in their prime and it was for the undisputed intercontinental championship.

WM 19: Brock Lesnar vs Kurt Angle
this was a great match by two highly decorated wrestlers that featured great back and forth action between these two men. even though there was a botch Lesnar still carried on to get the victory and it didn't take away from the match.

WM 19: Chris Jericho vs HBK
this match was excellent due to the story of it all. a lot of personal emotion was invested into this match and when it came down to showtime it delivered. two great wrestlers putting on a great show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back