Favorite genre of wrestling?

Safari.GFX

Rehabilitated
Whether it be old school catch wrestling of the 20th century, or death match wrestling, their seems to be a type of wrestling to fit everyone. I personally am entertained by submission wrestlings. Wrestlers such as Kurt Angle, and Bryan Danielson do a great job of incorporating the submission style into their move set. I am also a fan of hardcore wrestling, whether it be a ladder match, or cage match. I think that those types of matches are so fun to watch.

I know a lot of people who would rather watch amateur wrestling then watch professional wrestling. I like certain aspects of amateur wrestling. The throws and hooks are interesting, and that goes back to catch wrestling which you never see anymore. But catch wrestling actually were the roots of the wrestling that we watch now. Although not prominent in todays wresting, there are some wrestlers who use a whole lot of the amateur style in the arsenal.

Hardcore wrestling became popular in the 90's. ECW really picked up on this, and turned there whole program into hardcore. Many think that ECW started the hardcore wrestling style, although that's far from true. Wrestlers like Abdullah the Butcher and Bobo Brazil, The Sheik and of course the funks, all had bloody brawls in the 50's,60's,70's and hell for the Funks they're still going! FMW, Frontier Martial-Arts Wrestling actually may have the first promotion to be based around the brawling bloody style of wrestling. Of course they were in Japan. This company was for real, they had flaming barbed wire, and Land mines! They had some american wrestlers who went over there, and those wrestlers ended up coming back to the U.S. From what I know, which isn't to much... Those wrestlers started some independent promotions, one I can think of is Tri-State which was in philly. They had a lot of supercards where the Sheik and Butcher would have bloody battles a long with other wrestlers. Eastern Championship Wrestling (yes ECW!) picked up on this. Actually Eddy Gilbert was the booker for Eastern CW and got the boot. Once Paul Heymen replaced him, they split from the NWA and became Extreme Championship Wrestling. I bet you know the rest.

So, my favorites... Amateur, Submission, and hardcore. What are yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back