• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Favorite Comebacks

CH David

A Jock That Loves Pepsi
Another simple thread. In any sport, professional, collegiate, hell even high school, what are some of your favorite comebacks? They could be comebacks to win the game, comebacks to only suffer defeat at the last minute, anything. Hopefully this gets going a little bit and I'll post a few others, but one will be sufficient for now.

2005 Elite Eight. Illinois vs. Arizona​

I was in Missouri visiting my brother when this was going down, and I was in the guest bedroom watching as the others were watching whatever in the living room. Marking out the whole game. This game was basically a homecourt advantage for the Illini, being at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Illinois. It was a close game up until Arizona starts pulling away late in the second half. Then, with 4:00 minutes left, it seemed almost out of reach when Arizona had a 15 point lead, which was the largest the Illini had ever been behind. I thought it was over at that point.

The Illini had been turning the ball over, not scoring, and Arizona looked dominant at that point. Then, Deron Williams hits a three to cut it to 75-63. Still I thought no way, because Arizona went back down and scored making it 77-63. The Illini hit another three, and would keep the pressure on. Arizona got up to 80, but the Illini would not be stopped. Knocking down threes, quick layups, they were getting it done. Then with the score 80-77, the Illini get a turnover on the inbound play, and Deron Williams hits the game tying three. I fucking jumped up and was going nuts.

Overtime was more Williams, who hit two more threes, and the scoring was capped by a steal from Luther Head and a drive to the net. Game over, 90-89. I was going crazy, and my family looked at me like "what the fuck is wrong with you".

For those who want to watch the video, here you go.

[YOUTUBE]FmrvVQFGFlY[/YOUTUBE]​

So that is one of my favorite comebacks. What are some of yours?

Chicago Bears vs. Arizona Cardinals 2006 - In 2006, the Bears were riding high. They were undefeated at this point, destroying basically everyone in their paths. They were clicking on all cylinders. The defense was one of if not the best in the league. The offense was explosive. This was when Rex Grossman was actually, dare i say, good. Actually really good. Anyway, it looked like no one would stop them on their push to the super bowl. Then this game came.

This was a monday night game, so this was supposed to be a beatdown of the Cardinals for the whole country to see. No one was giving the Cardinals any hope for this game. Let's just say they werent one of the best teams in the league so how can you blame them.

After a Bears quick three and out, rookie QB Matt Leinart led the one-win Cardinals down the field and scored a touchdown. He would have two that quarter. let's skip to halftime.

The score was 20-0 at the half. It looked like the Bears would be handed their first lost of the season by the Cardinals of all teams. Rex Grossman had given up the ball four times in the first half, so it looked like defense and special teams would have to do it alone as Rex didn't do well in the 2nd half either.

The Bears needed something to get jumpstarted in the 2nd half, and they got it from rookie DE Mark Anderson. The Cardinals had the ball deep in their own territory. After a dropback by Leinart, Anderson gives him a sack of a lifetime, forcing a fumble which would be picked up by Mike Brown and returned for a TD. The Bears had their first 6-pointer. After the PAT, the score was still 23-10. Still a long hill to climb.

Later, The Cardinals would get the ball again. After a handoff to Edgerrin James, Brian Urlacher would grab that ball, and rip it out of James' grasp, forcing a fumble which would be recovered by Peanut Tillman and returned for a score. Now 23-17, this comeback was looking possible.

After The Cardinals get nothing on offense once again, they punt the ball to PR Devin Hester. Big mistake. He would go on to return it for a touchdown, giving the Bears the lead 24-23. After a missed Neil Rackers field goal, the Bears kneeled it and secured the win.

This game also led to this postgame press conference that we would never forget.

[YOUTUBE]m_N1OjGhIFc[/YOUTUBE]

My favorite is the Music City Miracle. That entire game was great to watch, and the final scoring play was among the best special teams plays ever. No one expected the Titans to pull off that win, and it was a bit of retribution for Frank Reich so many years earlier.

Champions' League Final 2005.

Liverpool, having had a diabolical league season found themselves in the final thanks to a series of lucky goals and solid defensive performances. Taking to the field with one of the worst players ever to grace such a stage in Djimi Traore, Liverpool were huge underdogs.

Sure enough, Milan's long term captain Paolo Maldini scored after a minute, then Liverpool's flair player Harry Kewell got injured. Perennial underacheiver Vladimir Smicer, on his way out of the club, came on in his place. Milan scored twice more before half time, and the half ended 3-0.

Alledgedly in the Milan dressing room, they already began to celebrate, and put on their winners' shirts under their kit. Meanwhile, in the Liverpool changing room, Steve Finnan was injured. What followed next? See for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back