• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fandango: Unintentionally Sympathetic?

MartialHorror

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I wouldn't call myself a Fandango fan, although I'm not really a detractor either. He has a gimmick that I could care less about, but I think the performer is talented and almost makes it work. Lately he's been in a groan inducing storyline where he's involved in a love triangle. In a refreshing twist, the two Diva's end up turning on him instead of fighting each-other. I liked it, but recently I've begun to change my mind.

Maybe it's because of the PG era or maybe I missed the wrong episode, but was Fandango actually two timing them? I only remember Summer Rae kissing him and I don't recall him being a willing participant. Otherwise, he just seemed sort of reluctant. But it was ultimately revealed that Fandango only cares about Fandango, so they turned on him. Fine.

But now their behavior is coming across as creepy. They're practically stalking him. But my problem is that Fandango didn't really do anything. He left Summer Rae for Layla, but it was established that the feud primarily began with Layla's smugness over the subject. Then they started attacking each-other. Fandango didn't seem like he wanted anything to do with it...and he still doesn't seem like he wants anything to do with it. If he was harassing them in the story, then maybe it would be fine, but it just seems like he wants to move on while Layla and Summer Rae are being vindictive bitches about it.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I don't think they did a good job at making Fandango the bad guy here and I can't imagine any sort of pay-off. He's not going to have a match with them, obviously. So I just wish this entire storyline would end.

I'm not a fan of his either and can take him or leave him, but I agree he is talented and this boy/girl/girl isn't working now.

This is usually what happens when you get people who have no acting skills and expect them to go out there and actually act, and that's one of the biggest problems right now with the WWE. These athletics are not actors, and the insipid story lines that they're put into shows that spectacularly. Very few of them are believable and they only cater to the younger crowd who really don't know any better.

I'm also not surprised with the way this story line has gone. They say "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned", and I guess this is supposed to be what is happening.

But my problem is that Fandango didn't really do anything.

Yeah, and isn't it just like a woman to act this way?:lmao: Both girls were attracted to Fandango because he was a macho jerk.....then, they rebel against him for the same traits that brought them to him in the first place! It's true; he did nothing wrong.....he was being exactly who he was all along. He's been playing the type whom "normal" women watch from a distance, but never approach.

The Fandango story is an interesting one in that his entire odyssey was built around an intentional major push for a mid-card wrestler. I don't think management ever intended that he be anything more than that; they were already aware of Johnny Curtis' skill set and I seriously doubt they ever considered him as a main event-type performer. Still, his gimmick actually attracted mainstream attention and I understand his entrance song was catchy and easy to like.

I do find him sympathetic in his present plight....and wonder if the storyline with the two gals is going anywhere.....or whether it's already a done deal. If the LayCool wannabes (Layla & the tall blonde?) have no further taunting to do, the whole thing will go away and Johnny Curtis might even have to beware of being future endeavored.

Personally, I'd like to see the angle continue, with Fandango turning the tables on the lovely ladies. Let the "oozing machismo" jerk win for once; it's only an act.

I agree, I think it's strange they booked Summer to be the face when all of this started (with Layla & Fandango being heels). I know it was based in "reality" (if you would call it that), spinning off the date that was documented on Total Divas between Fandango & Summer. Summer was the one pursuing Fandango (at least on Total Divas); she asked him out, they went to a bar and got wasted, and she basically threw herself at him back at his apartment. Then during their makeout session, she stopped and said "I'm not into you" (or words to that effect) - while she was straddling him on the couch. She said "I'm not attracted to you" right after she seduced him, then was all over him. Isn't Summer over 30 years old? She was acting like a manipulative teenager, whether all of that was scripted or not. It was right around the time that episode of Total Divas aired when Fandango "dumped Summer via twitter", somehow making him the heel in the storyline. Maybe it's just me, but I don't consider it "dumping" someone if they make it clear that they're not interested. The announcers (mainly Cole) just talk about how Fandango dumped Summer with a tweet, rather than talk about the ****ish actions of Summer.

Fandango then hooks up with Layla, who actually is interested in him (kayfabe, of course), but Summer decides that she needs to break them up...and eventually succeeds, which was weird too (IMHO). Summer manipulated Fandango (again, like a teenage slore), then was also able to manipulate Layla into thinking Fandango was a "jerk" - but somehow Summer was cheered for it. I understand the logic in the story: Summer suddenly wants Fandango once he's "over" her (or at least she was upset that he moved on so quickly), but it's a dick move (and the excuse for Summer's actions was being "dumped" over twitter). It's strange that the storyline was spun to make Summer the babyface, even though she acted like a complete slore (****/****e combination) the entire time.

You'd think that Fandango would eventually become a babyface in this storyline (being sympathized with by the WWE Universe), and Layla & Summer would become heels; but that hasn't been the case yet, and I doubt that the angle is headed in that direction. Once the feud between Layla/Summer & Fandango ends, I think they'll probably turn the girls heel (they need a new "LayCool", since The Beautiful People are back in TNA)...WWE Creative probably won't use Fandango to get the girls over as heels though, they'll most likely use someone else. Probably another "disposable" face, someone like Zack Ryder for instance. Fandango will go back to being his usual heel-self, and they'll never mention the involvement between these three characters again. Fandango should probably get a new dance partner; his current gimmick definitely calls for one (maybe they can bring up another one of the NXT girls).

All in all, I agree: Fandango's current storyline is one that should see the WWE Universe sympathizing with him, but WWE Creative thinks that Summer & Layla should be the good guys (I guess because they're hot chicks). The "mean girl" act that Summer & Layla are doing will be booed eventually, and they'll probably be featured players in the Diva division. All of this reminds me of old Val Venis storylines anyway...it would be great to see Fandango eventually coming to the ring in a towel, and starting each promo with "Helloooo ladies...". Obviously that won't happen, but I think Fandango would make a great "lady's (ladies?) man" character - à la Rick Rude/Val Venis. If they're not going to continue with him dancing with various girls (which may be played out anyway), then that may be the way to go.

It's not unintentional. I've been saying it for weeks. They're building towards a double turn where Fandango becomes a face and Summer-Lay become heels. They are having a slow-burn. Frankly, I think you writing 4 paragraphs about this is overkill.

It's not unintentional. I've been saying it for weeks. They're building towards a double turn where Fandango becomes a face and Summer-Lay become heels. They are having a slow-burn. Frankly, I think you writing 4 paragraphs about this is overkill.

I tend to do that, lol.

but I think Fandango would make a great "lady's (ladies?) man" character - à la Rick Rude/Val Venis. If they're not going to continue with him dancing with various girls (which may be played out anyway), then that may be the way to go

I actually thought the bizarre pairing between him and ballet dancer Damian Sandow was pretty funny. Making him a ladies man though is all you can really do with him. Adam Rose is the same way.

Making him a ladies man though is all you can really do with him.

Then again, they'd better put more thought into this continuing story than they did last night. Fandango has been the ultimate ladies man all along ....except on Raw when he instead danced with a male dwarf, for crying out loud. :wtf:

Okay, that was a one-night pairing whose purpose was.......???

I can't figure where they're going with this....or if the whole Fandango business is going to suddenly disappear, along with Johnny Curtis. I want him to find a new girl; someone Layla and Summer are bound to hate. Perhaps even the original Fandangirl, who was truly doing the fandango dance, as opposed to whatever steps Summer & Layla used to do. She would be cool and aloof, as before, while turning Fandango's old partners green with envy.

But.....Hornswoggle as Fandango's new partner? :disappointed::disappointed:

The only good to come out of the Hornswoggle bit is that it FINALLY gave the audience a legit reason to be angry with him. I presume the only reason they did that was so he could beat someone up, since he can't hurt the girls, no one cares about Diego and an attack on Torito would actually be kind of justified. Of course, I still don't understand what they can do with this, as he obviously can't harm the girls.

Maybe he'll find two other female dancers and they will carry this feud? I dunno, but the badness of Fandango's storyline was only usurped by Adam Rose's moronic segment.

Fandango has gone from two women fighting over him, to having the two women reject him, and now he is left with nothing but Hornswoggle as his consolation prize.

He's gone from being a Sympathetic character to just Pathetic.

For the 10 billion times I see the word 'bury' get thrown around this site this may actually be a case that fits. Fandango is getting humiliated. I can't remember the last time he got the upper hand on anyone. I don't know how much lower he can sink until he is off TV entirely. My only inclination is that either his contract is coming up and they can't get things worked out or a character change is in the works. Like Sally, I want the return on Jandango. To me she was mysterious, beautiful and complimented Fandango's attitude perfectly much like Elizabeth with Savage years ago.

As long as we don't get the Pun Guy back I don't really care that much though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back