• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fanbases that RUIN bands for you

Twiztid Rodimus

Pre-Show Stalwart
I want to reignite the music portion of this site, so I figured I'd spark it up with a topical question, What fanbase's ruin what would be a band you normally give a chance, or dig. I have a few. Though I try and ignore fanbases for the most part, ESPECIALLY young fanbases.

1) Avenged Sevenfold (AX7): I respect people's opinions, for the most part. But the utter ignorance shown by the AX7 fans that I've come across, is MIND boggling. When I see The Rev, being touted as ''The best drummer EVER'' and that Danny Carey and Neil Peart ''Wish'' they could drum like the Rev, it makes me want to kick a kitten and punch puppies. That is SO off base it's ridiculous. I'm okay when people like a band over others, but to completely dismiss people who CLEARLY are ''better'', just because he happened to die, is laughable.

2) Dubstep: I dig synth music, I even dabble in techno/electronic stuff as long as it's ''serious'' and 'dark'', per se, and when dubstep hit, I listened, and figured that it would be something I could sink my teeth into...THEN....the completely and utterly arrogant fanbase reared it's ugly little heads, and I have flat our come to despise the genre because of it. They over rate it SO much, it couldn't possibly be ''great'' in my view.

This is two of mine, what are some of yours?

Black Veil Brides

Yeah I like the bastard children of KISS and Motley Crue, but not their fans. That's probably because they're mostly made up of teenage girls (and older ones) who have such a blind devotion to the band its almost sickening, like wearing nothing but the band's merchandise and the like (this can also be applied to Escape The Fate and Falling In Reverse) I wanted to go to one of Black Veil Brides gigs but I didn't really relish being a 20 something male at a gig that would predominantly be teenage girls.

Certain Nirvana Fans

I'm talking the ones who have a hard on for Kurt Cobain saying 'he was a genius' 'he was a brilliant singer and guitarist' and the like. Yes he was a great songwriter and he was pretty good at guitar and singing, but out of all the musicians coming out at that time he was probably the the worst.

Whilst Randy Blythe was in a Czech prison earlier this year for that manslaughter case, the fanboys turned into complete and utter blind fools.

For those who don't know Blythe, vocalist in Lamb of God, was arrested and detained when arriving in the Czech Republic and accused of manslaughter. The last time Lamb of God had played in the CR, a teenage fan fell from the stage and died as a result of bleeding from the brain. Blythe was alleged to have pushed the fan causing him to fall.

Now, I'm not an expert on the Czech legal system, or what rights they give to international criminal suspects, so I don't go around on metal web pages pretending that I do.

It's fair if you want the news not to be true, and that you don't want someone that you idolise to have caused the death of someone, but blindly defending them with moronic arguments like "fuck the Czech Republic, they're Nazis", "Randy can do whatever he wants, he's a metal god", or - this is the best one - "it serves them right for never producing any good bands", will not help the cause.

The worst part was that some of these [what Fox News or the Daily Mail would erroneously call] 'trolls' were hating on the kid that had died. Why? That poor lad has so much in common with you, and his life ended going to do something fairly innocent and enjoyable. Lamb of God are not some late '80s crust punk band. By history's standards they are fairly tame. No one expects to die listening to Lamb of God. But idiots were quicker to blame the victim rather than the potential perpetrator. What if that was your friend, your brother, or you?

On the flip side, the more mentally developed fans on the internet managed to do the rounds and raise enough cash between them to pay for Blythe's bail and a lawyer.

The Beatles. I understand that they sold a lot of albums and a lot of people really like them but fans I've come across act like they are the greatest musicians of all time when the reality is their songs are all very basic pop songs. They were in the right place at the right time and had catchy music.

Metallica. I'm not a fan of much metal anyway but some Metallica fans are the most annoying people I have ever met when it comes to music. If I tell them I don't like Metallica or I bring up the lawsuits Metallica has filed over the past decade they refuse to have a rational conversation and suddenly any other band I mention is the worst band ever to them.

The Beatles. I understand that they sold a lot of albums and a lot of people really like them but fans I've come across act like they are the greatest musicians of all time when the reality is their songs are all very basic pop songs. They were in the right place at the right time and had catchy music.

I work in Liverpool and I was nearly lynched for saying Paul McCartney's solo work isn't that great, although I saved myself by stating John Lennon was very talented...

I don't think anyone can really criticise The Beatles though. They are easily the most influential band in UK music history. They changed everything, and without The Beatles there would be no Oasis, and without Oasis there wouldn't be many of the guita-based bands that we have today.

The Beatles' songs have become a part of our national identity, literally EVERYONE knows tracks like Hey Jude and Let It Be. While I would never claim McCartney and Lennon were the greatest singers, songwriters or even musicians who ever lived, its impossible to deny their influence on modern music. The Beatles are still one of the most popular bands around even today.

Metallica. I'm not a fan of much metal anyway but some Metallica fans are the most annoying people I have ever met when it comes to music. If I tell them I don't like Metallica or I bring up the lawsuits Metallica has filed over the past decade they refuse to have a rational conversation and suddenly any other band I mention is the worst band ever to them.

I agree on the Beatles. My dad is a huge Beatles fan and has every one of their albums. He likes to say that the Beatles were the greatest rock band of all time. I disagree.

I'm a Metallica fan lol. I don't think they're the greatest of all time but they are a great band. Their last album they put out that was a duo sucked lol.

Justin Bieber fans annoy the crap out of me. They act as if he's the greatest singer of all time and Lord help you if you say anything bad about him.

Rap fans tend to annoy me too. They act like rappers can do no wrong and that their songs are the best ever written. Truth is that most rap songs produced these days are fairly simple with hardly any thought put into them.

I like Bob Marley's music but some of his fans I don't like. More of the younger Marley fans I dislike, the ones that only like him because he smokes weed and forgets that he was also a musician as well.

Being a apart of the local punk music scene and it's not hard to hate the people that goes to shows just to start crap and punch people and the hardcore dancing that just looks like people are doing karate. A lot of great venues in my area won't put on shows anymore because of a small groups of people who show up start a fight or break stuff at the venue.

I know that is a music section but I also need to get this off my chest I hate a lot of American History X fans. The dumb racist ones that act like it is a pro Nazi movie and just say stupid racist remarks when they watch the movie. It's a great movie just some people don't get what the movie is about.

I like Bob Marley's music but some of his fans I don't like. More of the younger Marley fans I dislike, the ones that only like him because he smokes weed and forgets that he was also a musician as well.

Being a apart of the local punk music scene and it's not hard to hate the people that goes to shows just to start crap and punch people and the hardcore dancing that just looks like people are doing karate. A lot of great venues in my area won't put on shows anymore because of a small groups of people who show up start a fight or break stuff at the venue.
Word.

It's funny how many people wear Bob Marley stuff that wouldn't be able to tell you one song by him.

Punk kids are also kind of starting to annoy me as of late. I like mosh pits, a lot, but I can't stand the people who just do it for attention.

Also, I wouldn't be particularly upset if every Juggalo on Earth decided to stick their dick in a power outlet.

While it's a "rap band" and not the typical rock style band, I'll go with anything Young Money...

Drake isn't a gangster. Nicki being a ****e doesn't make her a great rapper, just like it didn't make Lil' Kim on. Lil' Wayne's only talented when he releases mix tapes, his album work sucks... and even then it's not the greatest lyrics. They're literally just filled with metaphors. To give YM credit, they discovered Corey Gunz and he's a lyrical beast. Unfortunately for them, he found out that he was above all of them and signed with Eminem's label.

I definitely agree on the above with The Beatles. I just can't stand the Beatles at all, their music is mediocre to me, but people insist on blowing them up and saying how wonderful they are. I love Paul McCartney, that's about it.

Nirvana. People obsess over Kurt Cobain and quite a few people only began to love him after his suicide. Shit fuck.

Anyone who likes Metallica's recent stuff- it's garbage, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out; love the old stuff, but nothing in the past few years.

I'm not a diehard fan, but I like Metallica... but many of the diehards take such a pompus, snobby, upper-class stance about themselves and the band and just seriously embarrass metalheads and fellow music community members alike.

As you can tell by the sig, I love Pearl Jam, but the diehard fans piss me off. They're an amazing band with dynamic records, but Eddie Vedder is not God... (you are the man, Eddie, but c'mon people..) They've got standout songs and staying power and they're good performers, but their records (aside from Yeild) just aren't that great overall...

Gonna take a different approach now and suggest:
Haters of Creed. I love Creed... but I never used to. Even when I didn't like their music, I couldn't understand why so many people hated them or Scott Stapp (the singer), so much. They were litterally the biggest band in the world in 2002 and 2003, they got put over by the surviving members of The Doors... the freakin' Doors for christ sake! Great band, great records, great musicians. So many people just jumped aboard the band wagon and forgot that before "With Arms Wide Open" came out, they were the blue-chipper band who could do no wrong.

Haters of Nickelback. These guys are fucking smart. They've worked the music industry and continue to work the public. I dislike all their mainstream stuff, but their first two records, "Curb" and "The State" are awesome. However, these guys knew the business and have adapted that knowledge to continue to be successful. In many interviews, they dick around and giggle about how they know it's all about the "bottom line" and they have fun messing with people by playing the business the way they do. They're not "sell-outs" per-se because they intended to do what they are doing all along.

Furthermore, even a Nickelback hater will tell you that a Nickelback show rules. The music sucks, but the show is amazing, and you'll leave knowing how even with pasturized and plagurized and plasticized tunes, this band continues to sell out arenas worldwide year in and year out.

Horrible music. Smart dudes. Respect.

For me, the thing that irks me about music fans are the guys who insist that their 'favourite' band can do no wrong what so ever.

I love Radiohead, but the King of Limbs is a bit of a mess of a pop album to be honest, in the sense that it isn't one at all. I was on board when they went all proto-jazz prog rock, hell I think that both Kid A and Amnesiac have songs on that rank among their best - but I just cannot get into King of Limbs.

To keep with the theme of the thread. MUSE - I've had the pleasure of seeing them live twice, the first time they were energetic, frenetic and generally fucking awesome. The second time was more about the set and the staging than the music itself and they've since allowed it to permeate into their records. I don't mind people saying they like muse, but the way they've evolved as a band has significantly reduced the quality of their music, yet I know a lot of people who insist that Matt Bellamy (who is a talented musician) is this century's Beethoven or Mozart. He just fucking isn't ok? He's good but he's not that good.

Rant over.

Also, to those of you who say the Beatles suck, if you've ever bought an album that wasn't just a compilation of singles then you can say that they sucked, because in all honesty if they didn't invent that (and it could be argued that they did) they at least popularised it with Rubber Soul and every album released since then in the last almost half-century.

Also George Harrison was a great songwriter and he was the NUMBER THREE guy in the Beatles. If that doesn't tell you how fucking great they were then you're missing out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back