• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bands you were introduced to

Guardian of Takhisis

Dark Match Winner
Now that I've done a thread on bands that you introduced, I want to know if there's any bands that you didn't really listen to, or maybe never heard of, that someone introduced to you. Here's a one example for me. I'll post more later.

Avenged Sevenfold
[YOUTUBE]VurhzANQ_B0[/YOUTUBE]
I'd seen my brother-in-law wearing one of their shirts all the time and I'd heard of them but I'd never listened to any of their music. I didn't think that the radio station played any of their songs until they released "Nightmare." When I first heard the song I enjoyed it. Didn't know it was them. Another song I heard by them was "Bat Country" but also didn't know it was them. One of my wife's friends was a huge fan of them and introduced them to her and she introduced them to me. The one song she introduced to me was the song for the video above. Now I hear them all the time on my Pandora and in fact one of their songs would have to go on my list of really good covers.
Them doing "Walk" by Pantera.
[YOUTUBE]bTSbT-Gu00E[/YOUTUBE]
The vocals sound just like Pantera's lead singer. I heard Avenged's version on my Pandora and later the same night heard Pantera do it. Almost eerie how alike their voices sounded.
Well now it's your turn.

images

[YOUTUBE]sGVNTO9PSZ0[/YOUTUBE]

Was introduced to them by a friend, I like a wide variation of music, from indie, to dance to some rap artists, metal and screaming is one of my more picky genres when it comes to who I listen to, but Flyleaf sounded awesome. The shriek in the leadsingers voice in "I'm So Sick" sends a really nice sensation into my ears, something about it, is awesome.

[YOUTUBE]b3gOBiVJ3h8[/YOUTUBE]

Went from hearing them on WWE, to getting the album from a friend, to seeing them perform live all in the space of a year. Great band, their live show was mind-blowing, the lights, the lazers, the sounds they make with the guitars is just so unique. Heard them originally through "Propane Nightmares" being used fot Cyber Sunday but it was a friend who loned me their album that really got me into them.

A friend of mine was always playing his guitar whenever I was at his house and one of the riffs he busted out quite regularly was this one. Every time he'd say, "Do you know who this is." After a while it just became second nature to say, "Nirvana" even though I had no idea who they were and had never heard the original. Eventually I bought Nevermind on a whim one day and that kick started the movement that brought me away from rap and to rock. After that I bought all of Nirvana's albums including the B-sides "Incesticide". Unplugged still remains my favorite Nirvana album and one I still play regularly. The rest of their stuff I listened to less and less as I got older but every time I hear one of their songs it still takes me back probably twelve years ago when I had no idea who they were and every song was new and special and great.

[YOUTUBE]YqN0ZOEO9oI[/YOUTUBE]

Black Label Society

After working at a restaruant one night when I was about 16 I went back to one of the chefs houses for a few beers with some of the staff. When we were there he stuck some metal on the CD player which surprised me as he didnt look the type of guy who would be into heavy music.

He showed me his epic CD collection, and I picked out a few albums to take home and copy. He suggested I try Black Label Society, as knowing some of the bands I liked he reckoned I would like the vocals and the distorted guitar.

He was right, I absolutely loved the album and now have pretty much all the BLS stuff, they have become one of my favourite bands and I managed to see them live in Manchester earlier this year.

http://youtu.be/h58Ku8-IrIM

MVpOPvR7U_g

A friend of mine busted into my apartment one night and said "I've gotta play this for you. You've never heard anything like it." I asked what it was, to which she replied "you just have to hear it." I obliged, and she looked up the following song on YouTube:

[YOUTUBE]LnaeImQ0TSg[/YOUTUBE]

I am a fan of every style of music (and I don't mean, "every style of music... EXCEPT country). I honestly don't hear much that I don't like. I also rarely hear stuff that makes me bust out of my seat with excitement. Movits! is the definition of genre fusion, seamlessly blending hip-hop with 1940s roadhouse swing -- not to mention they barely say anything in English throughout their two studio albums to date. Regardless, Steve Colbert highly endorses them, signing the 3-piece band to Comedy Central Records.

[YOUTUBE]C8fIVTH0TiM[/YOUTUBE]

If nothing else, they're just friggin' fun to listen to. At least I enjoy 'em.

I was introduced to many bands by the same method. My dad, and Dragonball Z. Back in 2001 (I think) there was this music video craze. Obviously, these videos were set to some noted artists. I happened to like them a lot back then:

[YOUTUBE]kgk6PAqpe1M[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ajW63I6GUdo&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]T1DcX508i90[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]R6clRjpESEc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]iyZFSRjcHu8&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]wCsrrA1rPkM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Just a few. Thanks to these videos, I got introduced to many bands. Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, The Prodigy, Disturbed, Drowning Pool, Rammstein and so many more.

Avenged Sevenfold
[YOUTUBE]VurhzANQ_B0[/YOUTUBE]
I'd seen my brother-in-law wearing one of their shirts all the time and I'd heard of them but I'd never listened to any of their music. I didn't think that the radio station played any of their songs until they released "Nightmare." When I first heard the song I enjoyed it. Didn't know it was them. Another song I heard by them was "Bat Country" but also didn't know it was them. One of my wife's friends was a huge fan of them and introduced them to her and she introduced them to me. The one song she introduced to me was the song for the video above. Now I hear them all the time on my Pandora and in fact one of their songs would have to go on my list of really good covers.
Them doing "Walk" by Pantera.
[YOUTUBE]bTSbT-Gu00E[/YOUTUBE]
The vocals sound just like Pantera's lead singer. I heard Avenged's version on my Pandora and later the same night heard Pantera do it. Almost eerie how alike their voices sounded.
Well now it's your turn.

Oh man, I like you. I'm the biggest Avenged fan on the forum, and thought I was the only one until now. Glad to see you're a fan of them. Their cover of Walk is the fucking shit especially after hearing them talk about how much respect they have for Pantera. It must be awesome to idolize a band growing up than having an opportunity to not only meet them, but cover one of their songs in front of millions of people. Back to Avenged though, they're my favorite band of all time and the only music I listen to. Watching their live DVD now actually. Could go on all night about how much I fucking love this band, but i'll just stick to the topic.

To answer the question you posted though, I have to go with Sigur Ros. I'm not a fan of music in different languages. It just doesn't strike me as entertaining, but one day my cousin showed me a song by this guy, and I was hooked. Easily the most chilled out music I have ever heard and it's in a totally badass language, Icelandic. I would just sit here doing absolutely nothing listening to them, and i'd be as calm as possible.

[YOUTUBE]Zr_MJAOyOeU[/YOUTUBE]

To answer the question you posted though, I have to go with Sigur Ros. I'm not a fan of music in different languages. It just doesn't strike me as entertaining, but one day my cousin showed me a song by this guy, and I was hooked. Easily the most chilled out music I have ever heard and it's in a totally badass language, Icelandic. I would just sit here doing absolutely nothing listening to them, and i'd be as calm as possible.

[YOUTUBE]Zr_MJAOyOeU[/YOUTUBE]

Hells yeh! As Fizzy has already mentioned the awesome Ros, I'll mention a couple other Icelandic artists who my friends got me into too.

First one is actually just the lead singer from Sigur Ros doing solo stuff, but I had no idea he had put an album out until my friend put it on one day and is quite a contrast to Sigur Ros' usual stuff. There's a video on youtube of him performing this song with Bjork in Iceland and it just looks like such a great place to go and see a gig.

My second Icelander is a young guy called Olafur Arnalds who composes some great stuff, usually combining piano and stringed instruments to either joyful or sorrowful effect. Recommended for any other Sigur Ros fans out there.

Finally, a 4 piece from Austin Texas whose music has been used in both the Friday Night Lights film and TV series as well as other films/tv spots over the years, Explosions in the Sky.

Did I mention I really like Sigur Ros?

I was/always will be introduced to all sorts of bands/artists by my Older Sister.

She studied abroad for around two years of High school so whenever she came back home for visits, she'd come loaded with songs from different genres in her Phone. Lol.

I was introduced to my now favourite band Three Days Grace. :)

[YOUTUBE]Ud4HuAzHEUc[/YOUTUBE]

Pain - Three Days Grace

This was the first song I heard. I liked it instantly.

Then there were more songs like

[YOUTUBE]NrO83v6X8lI&ob=av2e[/YOUTUBE]

Psychosocial - Slipknot

I thought this song was insane. The first time I heard it, I was like 'Seriously?!' It took some time but I fell in love with their music.

[YOUTUBE]opU1urLhw50&ob=av2e[/YOUTUBE]

Awake - Godsmack

Then there was this. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back