Extreme Rules 2014 General Discussion & Aftermath

Which would you rather see at Extreme Rules?

• Daniel Bryan and The Shield vs. Triple H, Randy Orton, Batista, and Kane

• Daniel Bryan vs. 1 of the 4 and The Shield vs. the other 3

Results are only viewable after voting.
Its pretty crazy to think that after the first Raw after Mania, the card for Extreme Rules seems all but set.

WWE Title Match: Daniel Bryan (c) vs Triple H

With the match not happening on Raw, I would expect Triple H to announce it on the next Raw for Extreme Rules. With how good their Mania match was why give away the sequel for free? Plus this time the titles at stake.

Shield vs Orton/Batista/Kane

With Shield coming to Bryan's aid and attacking Orton, Batista and Kane this match makes sense. This won't be the quick squash the Mania Shield match was as Orton and Batista provide legitimacy for this match.

John Cena vs Bray Wyatt

We got the standard one on one match at Mania and as evident on Raw it solved nothing. Now with a stipulation added to the match Bray can finally get Cena to accept the monster side of himself.

Cesaro vs Jack Swagger

Following their breakup at Mania and the count out on Raw they seemed destined to finish their feud at Extreme Rules. This will allow Cesaro to build momentum with a win, end his association with Zeb and Swagger and move on to bigger and better things.

IC Title Match: Big E (c) vs Alberto Del Rio

With the wins Del Rio has gotten over Big E I would have to think its leading to a title match. Having it at the ppv gives Big E a proper platform to beat Del Rio on.

Diva's Title Match: Paige (c) vs AJ

Not sure how long Paige is going to be champ for, but I would have to think AJ gets her rematch at the ppv.

We probably get a pre show tag title or #1 contender match for the tag titles or maybe a Rusev squash match and after one Raw, I'm fairly confident that the card will look like this or something really close.

HHH did say you want a war on RAW.

WAR GAMES
Daniel Bryan & The Shield vs. HHH, Batista, Orton & Kane

This would be epic. HHH is a big supporter of the concept. Yeah there was always rumors that Vince shot it down. But this is a new era and I can see it happening in some form.

A Daniel Bryan-HHH rematch would be good but we just saw it at Wrestlemania. DB got his in ring revenge on HHH.

And nobody wants to see DB vs. Orton vs. Batista again or DB vs. Orton/Batista one on one.

WAR GAMES is perfect for Extreme Rules.

War Games would be ideal, it would be a nice throwback and add some excitement to a PPV that is always kinda meh for me.

I am not a big fan of Kanes involvement in the match and I am guessing he will be the one doing the job here to keep everyone else strong.

I gotta say, I am really starting to get behind the HHH led WWE, I know Vince is still around but we are seeing a shift and it seems to be a good one.

NXT is pumping out quality, storylines are starting to deliver and new stars are being put on our TV every week and I like it.

My Extreme Rules card would look like this:

War Games:
Bryan and The Shield vs. HHH, Orton, Kane and Batista

Would love to see the Throwback stipulation and this can further shine Bryan's star and give the Shield the rub to go to the next level

I Quit Match:
Bray Wyatt vs. John Cena

I would love to see them go in a direction where Cena snaps during the match and it plays out like the Rock/Foley I quit match from years ago (minus all the unprotected head shots) This could be the first evolution in John Cenas character in almost a decade and Bray will come out of it looking like he was able to accomplish his mission, even if he sacrifices himself to do it.

Tables Match:
Cesaro and Brock Lesnar vs. Jack Swagger and Big Show

Big show is getting stale as all hell and a heel turn and alignment with The Real Americans could work in his favor, lets face it, Swagger isn't gonna soar on his own anymore and putting Cesaro next to the guy that ended the streak would be a nice way to align him for bigger things. The The Paul Heyman guys are gonna be faces no matter what so embrace it, do the blow off, establish a new team to compete in the tag division with Swagger/Show and let Cesaro get in that big swing.

Diva Street Fight
AJ Lee vs. Paige(c)

This one is obvious, I like AJ losing, working a small program against Tamina and then chasing until Summer Slam and bringing back the crazy chick persona

Tornado Tag Title Match
Cody Rhodes and Goldust vs. The Usos (c)

There really isn't another team to challenge right now and the Usos deserve a spot on a PPV, not a preshow... This is a good place to debut The Ascension and have them cost the Rhodes brothers the match and work a fued with them leading up to their title shot against the Uso's at Summer Slam

IC Title Extreme Rules Match
Alberto Del Rio vs Big E (c)

I personally don't like Alberto challenging for the IC title and I also think they need to get the belt off of Big E soon and re-establish it on someone in the more upper mid card range, Alberto is just not that guy though since he is out the door soon, but they have seemed to painted themselves in a corner with this one so just let it happen and have Big E drop the belt at the next even to someone like Reigns or Sheamus.

Hardcore Match
RVD vs. Christian

RVD has a clear purpose and that is to put over a younger guy, but I think he first needs to re-establish himself to the crowd so that when he does job to someone like Rusev it creates the desired effect, people calling for this to happen now are jumping the gun a but imo.

Pre-Show

Alexander Rusev vs. The Miz
Squash the Miz in the same fashion they with Ryder this past Monday, but get something out of it, in between now and then have Rusev also squash Dolph Ziggler and the night after this PPV on Raw have Ziggler/Ryder/Miz finally kick of the disgruntled employees stable that has been rumored.

***With a pre-show squash match I think they can get another match in on as well***

Sheamus vs. Dolph Ziggler
Same thought as the Rusev match, Ziggler loses, gets increasingly pissed off and establishes himself as the Leader of disgruntled stable the next night on Raw.

Thats what I got anyway.

I'd prefer they save Triple H vs. Bryan or Bryan in a Fatal 4 Way with Evolution for Payback, a fitting name for either one of those two matches. That would leave either Shield vs. Evolution and Bryan vs. Kane or Shield & Bryan vs. Evolution & Kane. While I love the idea of The Shield vs. Evolution in a 6-man, Bryan against Kane or anyone else that isn't named Brock Lesnar, isn't a match I see a lot of people being very interested in coming off of Wrestlemania. It would be a step down for Bryan after what he went through at Mania, and Kane vs. Bryan already happened the day after Elimination Chamber. So hopefully they go with the 8-man. Even if War Games is shot down by Vince, The Shield & Bryan against Evolution & Kane would still be exciting without it.

The Shield & Daniel Bryan vs. Evolution & Kane

John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt in a Last Man Standing Match

Cesaro vs. Jack Swagger

Paige vs. AJ Lee for the WWE Divas Title

The Usos vs. The Brotherhood for the WWE Tag Team Titles

When was the last time a brothers vs. brothers tag team title match happened? 2001?

Big E. vs. Alberto Del Rio vs. Big Show vs. Sheamus for the WWE Intercontinental Title

Big E defending against 3 of the final four from the Andre Battle Royal.

Alexander Rusev vs. Rob Van Dam

A veteran for Rusev to go over and have a great match with. The kicks and Rusev countering RVD with power moves, should make for an awesome match.

Pre-Show: Bad News Barrett vs. Dolph Ziggler

This year's Extreme Rules ppv will be held at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey on May 4th. On the Izod Center's website, John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt is being advertised for an "Extreme Match." http://www.izodcenter.com/Events/WWE_Extreme_Rules.aspx

I'm not certain if the site mistakenly put Extreme Match rather than "Extreme Rules Match" or if Vince has decided to just shorten the name of the match. At any rate, it's still essentially a generic name for a no disqualification bout. However, WWE hasn't officially announced the match as of right now, but I'd say that'll probably change by tomorrow night on Raw.

Well, regardless of what they're calling it, the best we can hope for is a few chair shots and kendo sticks. MAYBE they'll use a garbage can, or try and put someone through a table. Don't get me wrong, I know they're trying to be "PG" but if it's an "Extreme" match, how about something a little less generic? Fight in the back or something. And another thing, how come most, if not all Falls Count Anywhere matches end up with someone getting pinned in the ring?

Well it looks like it will be Bryan vs Kane at Extreme Rules, I'm not thrilled with that choice and I doubt it will be the main event, but hopefully they slap a LAst Man Standing stip on it to beef things up since Bryan has beaten Kane twice recently and him putting on a mask doesn't alter that.

I think The Shield vs Evolution will likely be the main event for the PPV which is cool, I am just curious as to what stip they slap on that one as you'd think they'd want something that fit with the theme of the PPV as opposed to a straight six man tag.

Cearo vs Big E, The Usos vs Rybaxel, Paige vs AJ and a squash for Rusev will probably fill out the card. It'll be interesting to see if they find anything for RVD, Barrett and Sheamus to do.

This turned into an underwhelming card very quickly. I can cope with no Lesnar. Sheamus, Ziggler and Del Rio not even featuring is something that puzzles me. This card as two matches that really interest me: Cena/Bryan and Evolution/Shield. Bryan v Kane will be fine. Big E and Barrett could be ok but Big E hasn't been performing of late.

The triple threat is odd. Rusev vs Woods and Truth is a waste of time. Wasn't Ryback defeating guys like Curt Hawkins on PPV -same shit. Paige vs Tamina is uninteresting filler. At least Brie Bella is somewhat popular.

This could have been a lot better. There are two top quality main-event matches but the rest of the card is, meh. 3 hours in which the first 1 and a half is like a really average episode of Raw. The Shield and Cena come to the rescue. What. A. Surprise.

This turned into an underwhelming card very quickly. I can cope with no Lesnar. Sheamus, Ziggler and Del Rio not even featuring is something that puzzles me. This card as two matches that really interest me: Cena/Bryan and Evolution/Shield. Bryan v Kane will be fine. Big E and Barrett could be ok but Big E hasn't been performing of late.

The triple threat is odd. Rusev vs Woods and Truth is a waste of time. Wasn't Ryback defeating guys like Curt Hawkins on PPV -same shit. Paige vs Tamina is uninteresting filler. At least Brie Bella is somewhat popular.

This could have been a lot better. There are two top quality main-event matches but the rest of the card is, meh. 3 hours in which the first 1 and a half is like a really average episode of Raw. The Shield and Cena come to the rescue. What. A. Surprise.

I'm surprised at no Sheamus and Del Rio. They could have easily thrown those two together in a one on one match on the card instead of Rusev vs. Woods/Truth or if all else fails a random pre show match between Dolph, Del Rio and Sheamus.

Now, if Sheamus gets involved in the Evolution/Shield match that could be interesting. I don't believe WWE has addressed Sheamus and HHH's friendship like they have with Orton and Batista.

The triple threat does seem awkward. RVD is out of place. I'm guessing Cesaro moves on to RVD after this pay per view and Swagger finds a new tag partner, Big E perhaps?

It should be a okay show, good way to avoid that dull period after ER that WWE has been struggling with the past few years

The real problem with this card is people like Xavier Woods and Rusev and Swagger but no Ziggler or Sandow. No Cody and Goldust. No Sheamus or ADR.

These guys might be a little bland, but they're Special Event veterans. I'm having a hard time looking at this mid and under card and having faith in it.

I would've put in the Extreme Rules Discussion, but I am making a different thread so that people can specifically discuss the Special Events matches and aftermath. If moderators feel this should be merged with the earlier thread, please feel free to do so.

This is my first ever review of a WWE event, so I am pumped. Thanks to the WWE network, I have been able to catch Wrestlemania XXX and Extreme Rules live.

For me, this event was excellent, let's get down to it then.

WWE Kickoff:

Josh Mathews, Booker T, Sheamus and Alex Riley talk and hype the show. Apparently, the El Terito vs Hornswoggle weeLC match would be the pre-show match.

WWE Pre-show: El Torito vs Hornswoggle (WeeLC match)

Winner:
El Torito
It was a fun match and crowd was into it throughout. El Torito and Hornswoggle did as much as they can and got enough to do. There were fun spots throughout the match, like Los Matadores and Jinder going through all the tables and ladders at the ring side, Heath Slater going through the table, Drew McIntyre leaping over the rin apron and ending up going through the table. Overall a decent effort, with El Torito picking up the victory.

Grade: **1/2

WWE Extreme Rules Main show

RVD vs Cesaro vs Jack Swagger triple threat Elimination match

Winner:
Cesaro
A very fun opening match for the show. RVD looked like he stepped up his game for this particular match, especially after a couple of lackluster performances leading up to this particular match. The match was fast paced. It was nice to see the trash can coming out (I haven't seen that one in some time). The highlight of the match for me was RVD Five Star Frog Splash right on the trash can, which was followed by neutralizer by Cesaro on the trash can.

Can someone please change Cesaro's entrance theme?

Grade: ***

Stephanie is backstage with Daniel Bryan and asks gives him choice of not having to compete tonight and surrender the titles. Bryan tells her to get out of her face.

R-Truth and Xavier woods vs Alexander Rusev 2-on-1 handicap match

Winner:
Alexander Rusev
Lana comes out and dedicates the match to Putin. That was awesome. Lana is hot!!

This was nothing but a glorified squash match. Still , the match went on longer than I expected. Woods was taken out even before the match starter. Truth got some offense in, but Rusev eventually got the upper hand. Rusev locks in the Accolade and wins the match by submission.

Grade: *1/2

Post match attack by Rusev on Xavier Woods on instruction by Lana. I like what I see of Rusev, but this foreign powerhouse gimmick is not doing much for me. But I am willing to give it more time.

Renee Young backstage with the Evolution. Triple H tells her about the massive egos everyone in this group has and how they've earned it over time.

Fun promo.

Next is the IC title match.

Big E (c) vs Bad News Barrett (Intercontinental Championship)

Winner:
Bad News Barrett (new Intercontinental Champion)

Another good match. It was odd that on Extreme Rules, they'll have a standard rules match. Still, it was fun to watch. Crowd is really getting behind Barrett. Here's hoping that this eventually results into a good run for Barrett. The spear through the apron by Big E on Barrett was very well executed. The end was fun. Barrett misses the initial Bull Hammer, runs off the apron and hits Big E with a running Bull Hammer. Barrett picks up the win and becomes the new Intercontinental Champion.

Grade: **3/4

The Shield vs The Evolution six man tag-team match

Winner:
The Shield

What a match! This was the match of the night for me. But honestly, has Shield ever had a bad match? Everyone here worked their asses off, and everyone looked like a star. The match told a great story. Even before the match started, a brawl broke out between the Shield and Evolution. Evolution took early control, but as expected, eventually chaos ensued. There were so many highlights throughout the match, but if I had to pick Moment of the night, it was Rollings flying off the upper stalls on to Triple H and Randy Orton. That was sick! Eventually, Reigns fights of Batista's attempt at Batista Bomb, hits him with superman punch, spears Batista and pins him to pick up the victory. Batista took the fall on his second consecutive PP...I mean special event match.

Grade: ****1/2

Ambrose goes into the stands and picks up Ambrose on his shoulders and celebrates the win. What a show this is turning out to be.

John Cena vs Bray Wyatt Steel Cage match

Winner:
Bray Wyatt

Another strong match. This match was more set on methodical pace and was focused more on the story telling. While the match was generally strong, I think Luke Harper and Erick Rowan had too much involvement throughout the match. They could've done without it because that defeated the purpose of having a steel cage match. What really stood out for me was the ending. Cena had the match won and was walking out when the lights go out. We see a child singing in a distorted voice. Cena, terrified, turns back into a Sister Abigail. Bray Wyatt walks out the cage and wins the match.

Grade: ***1/4

I am still coming to terms with what we saw at the end of that match.

Paige (c) vs Tamina Snuka (Divas Championship)

Winner:
Paige (retains Divas Championship)

It was a good match. Paige looks like getting more comfortable on the main roster. She has good skills inside the ring and it was good to see a more than filler match from the Divas. After a decent back and forth match, Paige locks the Scorpion Crosslock on Tamina and wins the match by submission. Paige retains her Diva's title.

Grade: **1/2

Bray Wyatt delivers a promo with the kid who puts on the sheep mask. I think he calls him little Johny. Creepy stuff.

Daniel Bryan (c) vs Demon Kane Extreme Rules match (WWE World Heavyweight Championship)

Winner:
Daniel Bryan (retains WWE World Heavyweight Championship)

Another fantastic match, especially considering how many times we have already seen these two going at it. The match was a brawl throughout the arena, in the ring, backstage, in the parking lot. Bryan driving Kane back in the ring on a forklift was great to see. There were more fun spots throughout the match, like flying headbutt off the forklift, Kane catching Bryan during suicide dive and delivering chokeslam, and finally Kane going through the table on fire. Bryan hits Kane with the running knee to pin him and retain the WWE World Heavyweight Championship.

Grade: ****

After the match, Kane stares down Daniel Bryan as the show ends.

Overall show: B+

This was a very strong follow up to the Wrestlemania and an excellent show from head to toe. Except the Rusev match, every other match was fun and delivered on some level. There were cool spots throughout the show. Daniel Bryan and Yes Movement continues, The Shield had a very strong victory over Evolution, Bray Wyatt won a very important match against Cena and was that ending creepy. Cesaro continues his momentum, but please someone needs to address his entrance music. It's horrible. We got Bad News Barrett winning the Intercontinental champion which in my opinion was the right move.

Aftermath:
Seems like Bryan and Kane are not done yet, so expect the feud to continue to Payback, though after the match they had, I don't see how they can top that. Cena and Bray would continue and I have no idea what they can do from here. I am pumped for this particular feud.

With Batista leaving after this event, I think Shield and Evolution are done. Tonight's RAW would set the tone of what happens next. On a side note, Ambrose is about to complete a year as the US champion. Take for whatever is worth. I expect a return match between Barrett and Big E before he moves on. Hopefully Sheamus or Cesaro would go after Barrett.

Do chime in with your views of this show.

A lackluster Extreme Rules...

The best match of the night goes to the most unlikely candidate -- the RVD vs. Cesaro vs. Jack Swagger elimination match. RVD haters should be slapping themselves right in the face right about now. Without RVD, would this match be the way it is? Would there be anything worth watching tonight?

The runner up goes to The Shield vs. Evolution match, mainly for the efforts by both parties.

The Daniel Bryan vs. Kane match was okay. Kane took a lot of chair shots.

And that's about it, nothing more to say.

A lackluster Extreme Rules...

The best match of the night goes to the most unlikely candidate -- the RVD vs. Cesaro vs. Jack Swagger elimination match. RVD haters should be slapping themselves right in the face right about now. Without RVD, would this match be the way it is? Would there be anything worth watching tonight?

The runner up goes to The Shield vs. Evolution match, mainly for the efforts by both parties.

The Daniel Bryan vs. Kane match was okay. Kane took a lot of chair shots.

And that's about it, nothing more to say.

:wtf: did I just read? Runner up? My goodness.

Anyway.... I think this was a pretty damn good PPV, but clearly Evolution V The Shield stole the show. They continue to be a breath of fresh air for WWE everytime they perform, and they've never been more over than they are now. In particular, this was Seth Rollins' night with the incredible jump off the upper level barricade. I was marking out already before that happened, but I was literally speechless after that. As CM yes said, every superstar got their shine, and the crowd getting into it just enhanced the whole thing. This was most definitely on a par with the Elimination Chamber match against the Wyatts, possibly even better.

Cena V Bray was good too. It wasn't all action Jackson, but it didn't really need to be. Bray's mannerisms are important in this storyline rather than the wrestling. Pretty creepy ending too, and shows that this feud will continue for a while yet. Is it unfair of me to be disappointed that Bray didn't win clean? It's no biggy, but I hope he does sometime. He beat DB clean at the Royal Rumble and it did him no harm.

I really enjoyed the title match too. I was worried it would pale into insignificance after the Evolution/Shield match, but the match stipulation gave it something extra. Doubt any smarks called Daniel Bryan driving a forklift truck with Kane dangling in front of it. :D It was pretty brutal (for PG), and it needed to be. The outcome wasn't a surprise, but it didn't make either superstar look weak.

WWE Extreme Rules
Izod Center
East Rutherford, New Jersey
May 4, 2014

Thumbs Up​

1. Rob Van Dam vs. Jack Swagger vs. Cesaro - I thought this was a fun match to kick the show off with and I liked that they added the elimination aspect to it, even though it was only added at some point yesterday. I thought that Cesaro and RVD worked especially well together, while Swagger generally just seemed to be there as fodder. I suspected that would be the case, but it didn't keep me from enjoying the match. Cesaro looked like a beast at times by showing off that natural strength of his. The spot where he suplexed Swagger into the ring off the apron only for RVD to land the Five Star Frog Splash to eliminate him was a nice touch. I enjoyed the 1 on 1 aspect of the match with RVD & Cesaro more than the triple threat. There wasn't a lot of hardcore stuff in the match, apart from the use of a trash can late in the match, but it was still fun. Cesaro scoring the win about the 12.5 minute mark after hitting the Neutralizer on top of the trash can. ***

3. Big E vs. Bad News Barrett for the WWE Intercontinental Championship - Even though the fans didn't seem to be into this match to a huge degree, I thought both guys put out a good effort in a solid, physical match. It did seem a little slow at times, it took a little time for the two to find their rhythm, but they did get things together. Even though Bad News Barrett is a heel, with a few minor alterations, I think he could pretty easily be made into a solid babyface character. Both men worked hard, sold each other's offense well and the ending came about the 10 minute mark with Barrett finally hitting the Bull Hammer to become IC champ for the 4th time. I'm very, very, very cautiously optimistic about Barrett this time around, but I'm not fully on board yet because we've been down this road with Barrett and the IC title before. **1/2

4. The Shield vs. Evolution - A great match between these two factions that told a good story and was packed with wild action. All six wrestlers, even Batista, worked well together and even though it ultimately became a bit of a wild brawl, it didn't get too crazy so as to ultimately detract from the match itself. The 2nd half is when the bout really became the brawl we were expecting with Ambrose & Rollins and Trips & Orton eventually fighting all over the arena, leaving Reigns & Batista in the ring. Rollins' spot on Orton & Trips looked great, even though it looked like poor Dean Ambrose took most of it himself. ;) Inside the ring, Roman Reigns ultimately gets the better of Batista, getting out of the attempted Batista Bomb, hitting him with the Superman Punch and finally landing the spear to give The Shield the clean win a little past the 20 minute mark. ***1/2

6. Paige vs. Tamina Snuka for the WWE Divas Championship - There wasn't a ton of crowd support here comparatively speaking, but there was more than we usually see from a Diva match. I thought it was a good effort from the ladies and it's becoming more & more obvious that Diva matches are progressively becoming more physical. Paige played her part well as almost sort of a female Daniel Bryan in that she's been painted as something of an underdog because of her youth and newness to the roster. She sold Tamina's offense well, and vice versa, and that kid's definitely not afraid of taking a bump. Paige eventually gets the upper hand and puts Tamina in the modified Scorpion lock for the clean win about the 7 minute mark. **1/2

7. Daniel Bryan vs. Kane for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship - I wasn't entirely sure what to expect out of this match. I didn't know if Kane would just dominate it from bell to bell, whether it'd be back & forth or what, but I enjoyed the bout a lot more than I expected. Ultimately, the match did what it was supposed to: deliver a good story, a good physical outing, make Kane look like a formidable opponent and Bryan like a tough & fearless scrapper. I also liked that they kept Brie and Stephanie out of the match altogether, keeping the focus on the two guys wrestling, so that Bryan wouldn't retain in some sort of flukey way. The crowd wasn't as white hot as they've been in the past for Bryan's matches. I imagine that most people just weren't jacked to the roof about Kane being his first opponent as champ, but the match still received a strong response from the crowd. The stuff backstage with the forklift was inventive. It might have slowed things down for a while, which may have hurt the match a little, but I thought it was a good example of Bryan's fire. Kane was "knocked out" after being hit with the crowbar, Bryan was tired from a physical confrontation and he couldn't just drag 320 pounds of dead weight all the way back to the ring. He couldn't win unless it was in the ring, and he wanted to win badly, so he did what he had to. The table spot was a nice touch, though the fire extinguisher took a bit away from it. But, at the same time, what else could you expect? They're not gonna stand there and let the guy burn. The match ends with Bryan nailing Kane with the running knee, getting the win and retaining the title about the 23 minute mark. ***1/4

Thumbs Down​

2. R-Truth & Xavier Woods vs. Alexander Rusev - I just didn't really see much of a point to this match. We've already seen Rusev destroy both of them in singles matches, we've seen him lay them both out simultaneously before, so why do it again at a ppv? I get that they want Rusev to look dominant, but the formula simply isn't working for me. It's a hackneyed, outdated formula that simply doesn't work anymore. NA

5. John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt - This was easily the most disappointing match of the night. As I pretty much said in the "Super Cena Strikes Again" thread, WWE went so far over the top in protecting John Cena here that it almost feels like Bray Wyatt lost the match. There was so much interference from Harper & Rowan in the match that it made the element of cage matches designed to prevent interference completely irrelevant. On top of that, Cena had the bout won probably half a dozen times and only didn't because of the insane amount of interference. They should've simply had a 3 on 1 handicap bout in the first place because it's essentially what the match turned into. The worst part, for me, was Cena just managing to overcome all 3 of them. The spot in the match where Cena is trying to exit the door of the cage with Harper & Rowan holding the door closed and is still managing to push the door open despite two big, brawny 300 pound men pushing against him was just too much. The ending with the kid singing to distract Cena was original and I think it would've otherwise been fine had the match not been absolutely packed with interference from Harper & Rowan and Cena still managing to beat back all 3 of them. *1/2

Final Thoughts​

Overall, I thought Extreme Rules was a pretty solid show. The undercard generally delivered solid to strong matches, with the triple threat opener being the strongest of them. The six man tag bout was the best match of the night while the WWE WHC bout was more than I was expecting, delivered the right outcome and had Bryan looking like a strong champion. The steel cage match was lousy for me. I'm not hating on Cena, I defend the guy from hate most of the time, but there's no defending the Super Cena performance of last night. It was a lousy booking decision that made The Wyatt Family look weak despite Bray winning the match. As I said, WWE went so overboard with protecting Cena, as if Cena losing without a shitload of interference is somehow gonna cause the sky to fall, that it almost felt like Bray Wyatt lost the match.

Grade: B-​

So I'm someone who hasn't watched wrestling since 1999 when I was 15, and strangely I've started watching again recently because in my job as a financial analyst I was reading about the WWE Network (which has gotten a lot of play in financial media) and it just sort of lit a fire in me to rediscover the long forgotten world of pro wrestling.

Over the past month or so I've watched most of Wrestlemania XXX on the WWE Network and read a good bit about some of the things that had happened since I quit watching, have caught parts of Raw/Smackdown each week and etc.

A few of the things that stood out to me about this PPV:

The Shield v Evolution - I liked this match and from what I can tell I really like the Shield as wrestlers but it seems like they are absolutely worshiped by the Internet fans. Me personally, I'm someone that likes a wrestler who can put on a show in the ring but who can also be entertaining in general (like Shawn Michaels.) I respected guys like Bret Hart and Benoit (before murder-suicide obviously) for being great in ring but to me wrestling was always about more than just the matches and both of those guys were simply dull when not working a match.

It seems like to me at least, The Shield falls into that category. I'm so new to watching again I could be totally off base, but their weird body-armor / special forces uniforms and the fact that they just seem to work good matches but not do much otherwise makes me wonder if they're just popular on the 'net the way Benoit was when I was a big fan or if there is more to them I'm just missing.

Cena v. Bray Wyatt - I've liked what I've seen of this feud in the last month and think Bray Wyatt is very entertaining. The rules for this match kind of hurt the whole thing, though. At several points in the match Cena could have easily pinned Bray, but he kept trying to escape the cage despite it being essentially impossible because of the two Wyatt family members. Why did they even allow pin fall in the rules? It made Cena's actions seem nonsensical. The rules should have just been that you have to escape the cage to win, then the whole thing makes better sense.

Daniel Bryan v. Kane - I've liked DB so far since I've been watching (I liked HHH vs DB at WM30), and it's interesting he's being pushed so much. When I watched wrestling before guys like Shawn and Bret were about as small as you could get and still get a major push, it's nice to see WWE has transformed at least a bit in that "normal" looking people who aren't 6'2" (billed as 6'5") and 280 lb steroid beasts can have careers now.

Something I've not liked at all about the direction of WWE is the whole PG/Family Friendly aspect. While this match wasn't amazing, it was nice to see a lot of kind of spectacle type "hardcore" elements like the repeated chair shots / kendo strikes on Kane, the back room brawl, Kane punching through car windows, flaming table etc. The forklift segment kind of dulled the match up, but I felt DB kind of made that worthwhile by taking the big jump off the lift.

Anyway, for a returning fan that's turned off some of the recent RAW/SmackDown shows due to them not being interesting, I found this PPV to be fairly entertaining. One thing I will say is it's really shown me an aspect of wrestling I never considered and that is the importance of the announcers in selling the match and making the whole show work. The announce crew from my previous period as a fan were just far better than the one they have now, and I think that's part of why some of the matches didn't play as well as they could have. I mean the triple threat elimination match, one of the announcers thought it was a typical triple threat in which first pinfall/submission wins all, just looks incompetent them not knowing it was an elimination match.

Jack Hammer's review summed up most of my thoughts on Extreme Rules, I enjoyed the show and thought 2 of the 3 main events really delivered. I didn't mind Bryan vs Kane having so many gimmicky stunts as I think with Kane and the kind of match it was it needed padding out with that stuff, like last year with Ryback and Cena's big stunt finale.

The Shield vs Evolution was easily the best match on the show, all 6 guys worked hard and it blew up when it turned into a mass brawl. WWE obviously have a raging chubby on for Reigns but Rollins and Ambrose still got a their chance to shine. The Shield going over makes me think the Evolution reunion may be shorter lived than I had hoped.

The Cena/Bray match was disappointing for me because I felt the interference stopped them getting any real rhythm going and it was so overdone that it became repetitive as Cena for some reason kept doing the same thing instead of trying to pin Bray instead. The ending with the possessed style kid was great though.

On the undercard I thought the triple threat was all action fun and Barrett vs Big E was a solid bout. Barrett can push on from here but Big E is not overr and needs a refresh.

Top to bottom Extreme Rules was a Strong follow up to Mania.

The Eighties used "Rhythm" to discuss the Wyatt/Cena match I actually think the three matches had a case where something was breaking the rhythm of the matches.

Bryan/Kane - was ok but they spent too much time setting up for spots that I just wanted them to get into fighting each other.

Evolution/Shield - it was pretty good but the ending was kind of a mess. After Reigns and Batista were down on the ring the rest spend a large chunk amount of time fighting outside. It took to long and its hard to believe that Batista was down for 5 mins with a powerbomb as well as Reigns.

Cena/Wyatt - Too many interferences, Bray's win didn't help him at all. Cena basically lost a handicap match which includes Little Johnny. I was thinking yeah Cena is "the guy" but if you want to establish Bray Wyatt as a top heel they need to make his win a lot more decisive, it doesn't have to be a clean win, but this basically Cena vs. The Wyatts + 1.

This was a good show overall. I generally am not that interested in the Extreme Rules brand, this year I had a lot more excitement going into it and with the exception of 2 matches (one of those two being the pre-show) I enjoyed it. Here are some thoughts on the matches.

0. El Torito (with Diego and Fernando) VS Hornswoggle (with Heath Slater, Jinder Mahal and Drew McIntyre) in a WeeLC Match
This was horrible and should never have taken place. My friend who I watched the PPV with was extremely offended by it. He said it was one of the worst matches he has ever seen. I mostly just found it annoying.

1. Cesaro (with Paul Heyman) VS Jack Swagger (with Zeb Colter) VS Rob Van Dam in a Triple Threat Elimination match
This was a good start to the show. While it could have been a little bit better, it set the pace for the rest of the show on the main card. A great choice to begin with.

2. Alexander Rusev (with Lana) VS R-Truth and Xavier Woods in a 2-on-1 Handicap match
This was a useless waste of everyone's time. The US Championship and Tag Team Championships both get left off the card, and this garbage excuse for a "match" makes it onto the card? Worst of the night.

3. Bad News Barrett VS Big E in a Singles match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship
I thought this was ok. It could have been better, although the right guy won. I'm surprised that it did not go on first.

4. The Shield (Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns) VS Evolution (Triple H, Randy Orton and Batista) in a Six-Man Tag Team match
This was awesome! By far the best match of the night. All 6 wrestlers did a fantastic job and I cannot wait to see more of this feud. I really thought it was going to go on last, so seeing such a good match earlier on in the show was a cool change of pace.

5. Bray Wyatt (with Luke Harper and Erick Rowan) VS John Cena in a Steel Cage match
For the most part, I liked this match. The fact that Harper and Rowan were interfering WAY too much started to get annoying later on though. The ending with the kid on the distorted mic was pretty stupid. Mixed feelings on this match.

6. Paige VS Tamina Snuka in a singles match for the WWE Divas Championship
This was fine. Paige got a watchable match out of Tamina and the right girl won. It was a chance for the fans to relax in between all of the bigger matches, so it was smart to place it so close to the end.

7. Daniel Bryan VS Kane in an Extreme Rules match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship
This ended up being a pretty cool match. The stuff they did in the back with the cars, the forklift, and the table that got set on fire all made it one of the better matches of the evening. I'd place it as the 2nd best after the 6 man tag team match. A good choice to end the evening.

Overall thoughts
Not a bad show at all. I have no major complains other than that they should have replaced the Rusev match with a title match for either the US or Tag Team Championship. The Cena VS Bray match also could have done with a lot less interference from the Wyatts. I would put Extreme Rules as the 2nd best PPV of the year so far.

1. Wrestlemania
2. Extreme RUles
3. Elimination Chamber
4. Royal Rumble

This could of been a great Extreme Rules ppv but some of the matches didn't happen unfortunately, the point of this ppv is extreme rules like whats the point in having an extreme rules ppv if you only have 1 extreme rules match, my card for extreme rules would be:

1) 10-15 Man Hardcore Battle Royal (winner gets a United States Title Match)
Rusev wins this one each person that comes to the ring has to bring a weapon with them and its like a royal rumble type where wrestlers come after 2 minutes or so and he goes onto beat Ambrose for the us strap.

2) Cesaro Vs Jack Swagger
Falls Count Anywhere Match. This will be a great match with Cesaro getting the victory.

3) Paige (C) Vs Tamina Snuka
Diva Title Strap Match. Could be a decent match tbh.

4) The Uso (C) Vs Rybaxle Vs Goldust & Cody Rhodes
Three Team Tag Team Title Elimination Match. Could be a great match.

5) Big E (C) Vs Bad News Barrett Vs Rob Van Dam
Triple Threat Intercontinetel Title Ladder Match. Bit of a handful but again could be a great match with Barrett getting the big win and a decent push.

6) John Cena Vs Bray Wyatt
Last Man Standing Match. Move this match to extreme rules instead because the main event is a cage match.

7) Daniel Bryan & The Shield Vs Evolution & Kane
War Games Match. Added stipulation is whoever pins Bryan gets a future title shot but the authority play dirty and the lights go out and then Sting appears from the rafters to help out the faces.

Thats my card

Thats my card

I would have gone with a different approach.

1. WWE Championship Last Man Standing match: Daniel Bryan (c)vs. Triple H

Settle this feud once and for all. It never really had closure, considering that the Raw after Mania ended with their rematch being "interrupted" by the Shield. After Bryan wins this match, Triple H is taken "out of action" for the next few months, giving the Authority a break.

2. Roman Reigns vs. Batista

After the Shield turns on the Authority, Triple H gets each one of his cohorts to go 1-on-1 with each of them. Roman gets to go 1-on-1 with the Batista. Roman would do the job, giving Batista a nice win before he leaves.

3. WWE United States Championship: Dean Ambrose (c) vs. Kane

The still not-a-demon Kane gets the US title shot against Dean. Dean retains the title leading to Kane unleashing the demon a little later, and Dean dropping the title during the battle royal on Raw.

4. Steel Cage: John Cena, The Usos vs. The Wyatt Family

The Wyatts all take on Cena, when the Usos make the save, leading to the team up at ER. The Wyatts' win here will look make them look good for Bray to take on Cena 1-on-1 at Payback, while Harper&Rowan get a title shot.

5. Seth Rollins vs. Randy Orton

Seth Rollins gets to shine against Randy Orton. When his heel turn takes us by surprise a month later, the fact that this match happened adds another dimension to his partnership with Orton.

6. WWE Diva's Championship: Paige vs. Natalya

If the plan is to turn Paige heel anyway, why not put her against faces. Have Paige win by questionable means, foreshadowing her eventual heel turn.

7. Submissions Count Anywhere: Cesaro vs. Jack Swagger

Have Swagger challenge Cesaro to a Submissions match, so he can take him down with the ankle lock. Have Cesaro wip out the Jim Breaks Special for the win, adding that move to his repertoire.

8. WWE Intercontinental Championship Extreme Rules match: Big E vs. Rob Van Dam

Give RVD the win. You can't have RVD come back every year and making it seem like a big deal if he's a perennial loser. Winning the IC title as a transitional champ to drop it to BNB later isn't that bad.

Pre-Show: Sheamus vs. Rusev

Those jobber matches are boring and don't add any substance to Rusev's development as a character. Have him take down Sheamus instead. It's a huge win that immediately gets everyone's attention instead of taking down a couple of nobodies .

I would have gone with a different approach.

1. WWE Championship Last Man Standing match: Daniel Bryan (c)vs. Triple H

Settle this feud once and for all. It never really had closure, considering that the Raw after Mania ended with their rematch being "interrupted" by the Shield. After Bryan wins this match, Triple H is taken "out of action" for the next few months, giving the Authority a break.

2. Roman Reigns vs. Batista

After the Shield turns on the Authority, Triple H gets each one of his cohorts to go 1-on-1 with each of them. Roman gets to go 1-on-1 with the Batista. Roman would do the job, giving Batista a nice win before he leaves.

3. WWE United States Championship: Dean Ambrose (c) vs. Kane

The still not-a-demon Kane gets the US title shot against Dean. Dean retains the title leading to Kane unleashing the demon a little later, and Dean dropping the title during the battle royal on Raw.

4. Steel Cage: John Cena, The Usos vs. The Wyatt Family

The Wyatts all take on Cena, when the Usos make the save, leading to the team up at ER. The Wyatts' win here will look make them look good for Bray to take on Cena 1-on-1 at Payback, while Harper&Rowan get a title shot.

5. Seth Rollins vs. Randy Orton

Seth Rollins gets to shine against Randy Orton. When his heel turn takes us by surprise a month later, the fact that this match happened adds another dimension to his partnership with Orton.

6. WWE Diva's Championship: Paige vs. Natalya

If the plan is to turn Paige heel anyway, why not put her against faces. Have Paige win by questionable means, foreshadowing her eventual heel turn.

7. Submissions Count Anywhere: Cesaro vs. Jack Swagger

Have Swagger challenge Cesaro to a Submissions match, so he can take him down with the ankle lock. Have Cesaro wip out the Jim Breaks Special for the win, adding that move to his repertoire.

8. WWE Intercontinental Championship Extreme Rules match: Big E vs. Rob Van Dam

Give RVD the win. You can't have RVD come back every year and making it seem like a big deal if he's a perennial loser. Winning the IC title as a transitional champ to drop it to BNB later isn't that bad.

Pre-Show: Sheamus vs. Rusev

Those jobber matches are boring and don't add any substance to Rusev's development as a character. Have him take down Sheamus instead. It's a huge win that immediately gets everyone's attention instead of taking down a couple of nobodies .

I think this card would have been great! You make a lot of good points, especially about RVD. The guy could have been a transitional IC champ. WWE's matches are just way to predictable sometimes. Why not give more surprises?

I think this card would have been great! You make a lot of good points, especially about RVD. The guy could have been a transitional IC champ. WWE's matches are just way to predictable sometimes. Why not give more surprises?

RVD deserves to win at "Extreme Rules" of all places. Plus, he had just returned, so the crowd would definitely be behind him, even against a fellow face like Big E. Plus, instead of feeding Big E to Rusev for two months, you can start foreshadowing his heel turn and partnership with Xavier.

You can have RVD drop the title to BNB on Raw. The only thing about this card that sucks is the fact that Bryan and BNB will both get injured and dump the titles anyway. But I'm booking it as if I didn't know that was gonna happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back