Excerpts from my life as Ransom Stoddard, Attorney at Law

Coco

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Things were very different out here before the train. When I first came out here as a law student, it was on a stagecoach just like this one... In fact, it may have been THIS stagecoach that I came out here on. Yes, as I brush the dust from it, it's starting to look very familiar. I was told many a time that I was a ladies man, and indeed on the fateful night there was a lady sitting next to me in the coach. Perhaps I'd have a better feel for whether I've been in this stagecoach before if one of you fine gentleman, for the sake of accuracy, pretended to be a lady and sat next to me in the coach.

Yes. I say, that's a great idea. You'll do, young man. You wanted the story, after all. Don't mind the cobwebs. I say, climb in.
As he gazed menacingly at my prone body, he said he was going to teach me law. Western law. I told him I already knew it. He asked if I knew tax law. I was embarassed to say that I had yet to read about it. I asked if he knew tax law. He told me he knew enough to give me a lesson or two.
And there I was. Face to face with the woman that the toughest man south of the picketwire intended to marry. She wasn't exaggerating when she said I "pop up" every time a woman talked to me. Indeed, the popping I was doing extended beyond the average call of duty for a gentelman.

I was slightly bemused to find that she couldn't read. Indeed, I was no longer in Kansas anymore, or at least not in the cocoon of academia that had served as my Kansas. I dream of a world where literacy rates are decent, the written word is respected, and people who can't interpret the written word are considered outcasts. If I had my way, I wouldn't touch a woman who couldn't read. But if I stuck to my guns here, I'd find myself dealing with slim pickings. Mighty slim. Begrudgingly, I told her I would teach her to read and write.

On a positive note, I can already imagine what kind of extra credit assignments I'll be giving her.
I don't eat steak off the floor either. I don't know why he feels the need to brag about it.
Have you, in your adult life, dated someone born and raised in the same culture as you who couldn't read or write? Would you be willing to?

I like the sound of your life Coco. I did imagine it would include a bit more cow rustling and boddice bursting but these things develop as your lawyerly skills grow.

I don't tend to put a lot of restrictions on guys before I actually meet them first. While no one likes to think themselves as prejudiced- not being able to read and write might limit the things we have in common.

I've seen my share of bodice bursting in law school. We don't have our noses in books all the time.

I like the sound of your life Coco. I did imagine it would include a bit more cow rustling and boddice bursting but these things develop as your lawyerly skills grow.

I don't tend to put a lot of restrictions on guys before I actually meet them first. While no one likes to think themselves as prejudiced- not being able to read and write might limit the things we have in common.

This ^. I love books. And the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back