• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

everyone has an opinion@NUFC

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
If you're British you will likely follow football, and if you follow football there's one team that seems to be in the news a lot, it's Newcastle United Football Club. This thread is essentially a Geordies opinion on the matter, this is not a thread to bash Geordies but rather to discuss rationally what is going on at the moment.

On the field

Top of the championship with six points clear of automatic promotion, one would assume that NUFC are doing well this season. It's a mix in my opinion, our players have grafted but some times it has been horrendous at times with lucky goals against Doncaster and Sheff Utd but we're getting the results.

The management

Whilst he's not the man most people wanted, Chris Houghton has done a great job, he took over with a team who couldn't be arsed and has managed to get some players in on loan to perform well. I hope the Geordies don't turn on him and just give him a chance. Great work thus far.

Mike Ashley

This man seems to hate Newcastle United yet owns it. Whether it be him putting the club for sale, turning down offers then taking it off the market, whether it be him lsoing a tribunal against Keegan where he admitted to lying to the fans as a "PR exercise" or whether it's renaming the biggest thing in Newcastle so he could advertise his shops that tailor those on Jeremy Kyle, he's a disgrace to football as a whole and I understand the frustrations of many.

The fans

STOP CHANGING YOUR FUCKING MINDS!

I wasn't aware they were still in the paper to be honest. I thought everybody had their fun and moved on once they got relegated. I used to look at the back page and see them, now there are bigger teams like Hull on the back pages.

The truth is, while they're in a lower division, how poorly the club is run isn't as noticeable. Mostly because others clubs have the same problem. And others fall further down the leagues.

Newcastle are also doing well in their league, which really isn't that intresting. Neutrals like teams who are on a downward spiral.

I'm a Newcastle supporter so I'm going to try and bite my tongue here

I want to... kill Mike Ashley

Nope, couldn't do it. The guy is an A Grade ****** with absolutely no understanding of what he has bought. And I say bought because he has bought it, but he doesn't own the club. The club has always belonged to the supporters, the shareholders if you like, and once you piss them off, YOU ARE FINISHED. Mike Ashley has pissed them off time and time again. Hiring Wise, sacking Keegan, bringing in Kinnear, taking 6 weeks to replace Kinnear, making no attempt to keep key players, screwing up the sale of the club multiple times because of his own greed and finally, as if all that wasn't enough he's renamed the stadium. This isn't some shop you can rename and rebrand, this is an institution right at the heart of the city. He deserves all the hatred he's getting.

Oh and leading Division 1, (or whatever the hell it's called now) big fucking deal. We should be in the league above.

Oh and leading Division 1, (or whatever the hell it's called now) big fucking deal. We should be in the league above.

Not really, at the expense of who? The three teams who did well in the division you're in now last year? Or the 17 teams who did better than you last year?

You deserve to be in a lower league, this year. Just like you'll deserve to be in the Premiership if you get promoted this time round.

Not really, at the expense of who? The three teams who did well in the division you're in now last year? Or the 17 teams who did better than you last year?

You deserve to be in a lower league, this year. Just like you'll deserve to be in the Premiership if you get promoted this time round.

Agreed on that, we deserved to go down last season and we did and if we get promoted this season then great we deserve it.

That I think has been the problem with the Toon faithful, delusions of grandeur. We had a few good seasons from 1995-2002ish but aside from that we've not been good since 1969 and that in turn was a bit of a fluke.

On the field
You can't argue with results. Look at the Premier League. United have been shit this year, but have been winning, they finally played well on Sunday and lost, they'd trade playing well for the three points everytime. Same with Chelsea. They won't give a fuck they were completely outplayed on Sunday.

Newcastle are in a League where they just simply have to get promoted, and they are on course. Style comes after results, and Newcastle are getting the right results. No arguments.

The management
Chris Hughton isn't a big name, and that is really what Newcastle need. If they had got Strachan, there would have been more pressure and focus on the club. With a little-known, quiet manager who is getting good results, the tabloids aren't on his back. He is doing a fine job, and should get the support he needs until results start going astray. If he takes them up, he keeps his job. If they stay in the Championship, he goes. Simple.

Mike Ashley
To be fair, he always had the right plan at Newcastle, planning for the future. He had a good network in place but it all went wrong, but the idea was a good one. However, there is no excuse at all for renaming one of the most famous stadiums in the country. Anfield or Old Trafford would never be sold off like St.James' has been. The sportsdirect.com@St. James Park Stadium is the worst stadium name in history, worse than "New Stadium".

I have been disappointed with the Toon Army this year. When they took 5,000 to Darlington for a pre-season friendly and sang throughout, I had high hopes they wouldn't turn their backs on the team, then 40,000 turn up to the first game. The fans who have stayed away this year should be ashamed of themselves. Sunderland fans did it when they went down, but I expected Newcastle to set a better example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back