Evander Holyfield vs Francois Botha Fight Review

The Roid Rage

Getting Noticed By Management
Tonight in Las Vegas, Nevada former heavyweight champion and aging warrior Evander Holyfield met fellow veteran Champion Francois Botha at the Thomas & Mack Center in a battle for the WBF Heavyweight title scheduled for 12 rounds.

Botha had won the title in February 6, 2009, successfully defending it once since then. Tonight was an opportunity for "The White Buffalo" to add another name to the resume of champions and contenders he's fought in his long career. At 41 years of age Botha has been on the comeback trail since 2007 having considerable success despite his age.

Holyfield on the other hand at 47 years of age, hasn't had a win since 2007. In Holyfield's defense he was robbed of a decision against Nikolai Valuev in a bout that would have awarded him the WBA Heavyweight title, and also lost a controversial decision to Sultan Ibragimov in a bout for the WBO title. So looking at it, this guy should technically be the WBA and WBO heavyweight champion, fighting for a third title against Botha. Previously to those fights Holyfield was coming off of four straight victories against Lou Savarese, Vinny Maddalone, Fres Oquendo, and Jeremy Bates winning 2 of those bouts by TKO and 2 by decision. In this bout Holyfield was seeking to gain his 5th heavyweight title, while he already is the only man to be heavyweight champion on 4 occasions, unified at that.

On to the Fight

In opening rounds 1 & 2 Botha came out strong with a lot of energy and activity, while Holyfield was trying to get the wheels turning. Both fighters landed pretty cleanly back and fourth, but it was Botha who was landing in greater numbers and controlling the action. Holyfield was being patient and looking for spots, but Botha didn't allow him the time to get set and make his attack most of the time. Botha was coming with good jabs and hooks as Holyfield worked high and low in spurts looking to out box and out point his physically dominant opponent. Every time Holyfield leapt in firing combinations, Botha used his size advantage to tie up Holyfield who was looking to land in numbers. There were a few occasions in the clinch where Botha was caught punching Holyfield in the back of the head which the referee warned him for twice in the opening round.

Rounds 2-3 saw Holyfield still trying to find a rhythm and keep from getting tied up at every pass. Botha would plod forward with heavy punches, most of which Holyfield was able to block and move away from, and continually grab him to keep the faster Holyfield from countering him at all angles. Still the size difference and work rate of Botha seemed to be getting the better of Holyfield who didn't have a lot of answers for the excessive clinching, and consistency of his opponents offense. It was clear that one fighter was in their rhythm controlling the fight as they wished, while one was still puzzling trying to get into his rhythm. Still, the rounds were close, as both fighters stayed pretty active. If I remember correctly though it was in one of these rounds that Botha actually landed a very nice, clean, powerful right that sent Holyfield back into the corner, although it didn't stun him for but a second.

Rounds 4-5 were the continuation of a natural process for Francois Botha. Coming into the fight at 250 lbs to Holyfield's 220, and also at age 41 himself, one could expect that stamina would become an issue down the road for Botha. In round 4 he continued to outwork Holyfield who was gradually picking up the pace, and you could see him wind was still with him as were his legs. By the end of the 5th round however, you could see that Botha was starting to get tired while Holyfield seemed to be just warming up. Botha had been really trying to outwork his senior competitor thus far, and with his attributes as I pointed out, it was no surprise the heavier Botha was wearing down at this point. He wasn't in any big trouble, but Holyfield's punches were starting to come in faster in succession, and he was really starting to use his footwork to move Botha where he wanted him in the ring.

Rounds 6-7 continued to show Holyfield mount his attack, Botha continued his previous tactics, holding and using his power to keep Holyfield honest in there. Here we saw more back and fourth as Botha, who had been moving so surprisingly well earlier on his feet, began to get stationary and stand with Holyfield, who in turn had been the one forcing on the exchanges. Both men were taking some pretty clean powerful shots, neither of them were really budging though. You could tell in round 6 that Botha was losing steam fast, and Holyfield was finally getting into his rhythm at this point. In round 7 Holyfield really got traction and landing more and more successfully as his opponents legs were getting tired, and his mobility was fading. Botha's punches were also noticeably losing power, Holyfield was getting a lot more confident and willing to take them. The difference in hand speed became more and more apparent as well. Botha was fighting pretty smart, but Holyfield was imposing his will on his depleting opponent. Holyfield finished the round with a nice combination to take it easily.

Round 8

This was the final round of this fight. Holyfield came out of his corner with his legs under him, looking fresh, with a clear game plan, while Botha was visually tired, and had no response for Holyfield's combinations, movement, and speed. All Botha had left now was a punchers chance against the smaller elder Holyfield. The White Buffalo however began to look more and more like his nickname suggested in the ring as Holyfield became the Matador, and Botha became the Buffalo. Holyfield was tagging him with punches from different angles, keeping his opponent at range while he chipped away at the tired champion. Botha had lost the ability he had earlier to make Holyfield miss. His footwork was gone from the picture and Botha just continued to throw arm punches that Holyfield easily slapped away or dodged, even walking through a hard right from Botha.

However, at about :40 seconds into the round, Holyfield landed a viscous, devastating right hand off the jab that sent Botha down hard. Botha struggled and was clearly dazed but got back to his feet to beat the ten count. Holyfield then came charging in to finish off Botha, rushing him into the ropes landing a combination of 5 or 6 hard shots, at which time the referee stepped in to stop the fight. Holyfield wins in impressive fashion to become a 5 time heavyweight champion, after the fight promising to continue on until he is the unified heavyweight champion.

To give my opinion on that matter, after the performance I saw tonight I would not be surprised if he could do it. He would have to fight as good and better than tonight, but the old warrior showed he can still put someone away, still has some tools, and has no intentions of sitting down for anyone. The majority of his opponents have all been much bigger and stronger men which is a high risk field for him. Still, he has actually been doing rather well despite the controversial decisions to Sultan and Valuev.

Maybe he is not as spent as people think. His major losses as of recent all came at a time when he was still healing from an injury. After he was healed, he went on to win 4 straight in convincing fashion. I am not going to say he could beat either Klitschko, I don't think he has THAT much left. But I guarantee he could fight them, and give either brother a nights work at least. You have to admit, he is better than some of the guys the Klitschko's have been fighting. Now, who does he face next?

No matter what, tonight is a night of celebration for the sentimental favorite, and new WBF Heavyweight Champion Evander "The Real Deal" Holyfield. I truly admire and appreciate his courage and will, and am personally glad to see him win his 5th championship. He's worked hard for it, he was robbed a couple times from it before, and I think out of a lot of the heavyweights out there Holyfield wanted it more than the majority of the other guys. Congratulations Champ, one more day in the sun.

Great, great review, Rage.

I'm not too big of a fan of Evander Holyfield. I've always believed Mike Tyson had fair points about Holyfield's headbutting, but regardless... it's nice to see Holyfield still be able to go at his age. In fact, it's quite remarkable.

That said, while I still need to see the fight, I highly doubt Holyfield can continue winning and defeating the best of the Heavyweight Division, and even if he were... there's no way he'd be able to beat one of the Klitschko brothers.

But, honestly, I don't think he'll be able to reach one of them. I mean, sure you can argue the Klitschkos have been fighting scrubs, but why would either one of them fight a 47-year-old Evander Holyfield? In fact, why would most up-and-coming Heavyweights risk their stature in the division by fighting him? I mean, a loss to Holyfield at this stage in your career would be a HUGE blow, and I just don't think the risk would be worth it since A) you won't be getting paid all that much, and B) even if you won, it wouldn't put you any closer to a title shot.

All that said, if I could put a fight together for him, then I would definitely select Kevin Johnson for Holyfield's next opponent. I cannot fucking stand Johnson, and there's nothing more I would love to see then Holyfield knock him the fuck out like he apparently did Francois Botha last night, while if Holyfield ended up losing, then hey.. you know for sure then that he's not ready for the Klitschkos or anyone else that far up on the ladder.

Firstly, thank you for being the one person who gave a shit enough to respond. I thought people would have been surprised at this at least, and maybe want to give their predictions. Wrong crowd I guess for the most part.

I don't see Holyfield being able to beat either Klitschko either, but I wouldn't mind seeing him try at some point soon. It's not like we are talking about a paraplegic or anything, this guy is still a world class boxer with some tools left. He is just small enough to be able to get inside the Klitschko's seemingly impenetrable jab, and big enough to land a meaningful powerful punch. Holyfield is a slickster too, there isn't anything he hasn't seen in the ring at this point, and I'd bet the cagey veteran would have a few tricks up his sleeve for them as well.

I am mostly being nostalgic and delusional probably, but I'm just saying, he's got a shot. I grew up watching this guy slay giants on the regular, with the exception of his age, I don't see any reason these two would be any different. If there is anything Holyfield knows how to do, it's fight a much bigger man. Keep in mind, he went the distance and outpointed Valuev, who lacks a lot of the skills the Klitschko's posses, but is still much bigger than them, and every bit as powerful. If Holyfield could get inside that long reach, they could be easy pickings really. I am still waiting for someone to figure out that an uppercut and body punching is the key to beating either of them.

If I were scheduling Holyfield's next fight I would put him against another alphabet title holder, as his goal is to unify the heavyweight title again before he retires. I would love nothing more than to see that happen. It just so happens the next logical opponent for a title would be David Haye. That is the next fight, unless Holyfield gets Wladimir who hold the IBF and WBO titles. I don't think Vitali would want to put his WBC title up against Holyfield though. Not because of the danger of losing it, but because it is so valuable and the most highly recognized and respected title. He would expect someone to have proven themselves more to gain a shot at his title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back