Enter the Void

Mr. Truth

Real American Hero
Anyone ever see this? It's buy French director Gaspar Noé. It's stars two American actors, Nathan Brown and Paz de la Huerta (of Boardwalk Empire fame). Most of the movie takes place in Japan. There is zero French in the film, probably about 75% English, 25% Japanese. Maybe a bit more English. Noé chose to use American actors so you wouldn't have to read subtitles and just focus on the visuals. I'm not going to get into the plot since that's not really important in my mind. If you haven't and want to see one of the trippiest, most visually stimulating movies ever, download it. It's like no other movie I've ever seen. Fair warning, don't watch this movie if you are prone to seizures. The title sequence and a few other parts will probably kill you. Only reason I put this in the cage is due to the extremely graphic nature of the film.

Reactions: X
FUCK
YES
MAN

Enter the Void was by far my favorite film from 2010, watching it was a visceral and physical experience. It helps that I may have had indulged in a bit of psilocybin before watching. The entire experience of watching the film was incredible. Fuck man by the end I was drained. Incredible film, this could possibly be better than Irreversible and I Stand Alone.

Up until last night, Black Swan was my favorite movie of 2010 since I love Aronofsky's work. This movie just took my mind and scrambled it. After watching it, completely sober, I still felt extremely drained. I already ordered the DVD and also Irréversible. If I like that, which I'm guessing I will, since all I've read was praise for it, I'll end up getting I Stand Alone. Noé is challenging Gondry for my favorite foreign director. And Eternal Sunshine is one of my top 5 movies. So that's tough to do.

I had some friends who saw it at Sundance and said it was a must see. It's on Netflix Watch Instantly right now, so I'll give it a watch in the near future.

I saw the film about 8 months ago so I think I'm adequately within the proper timeframe.

I've been excited for this movie for a long time now and it has finally come out. Fuck Yes! I'll be watching it on Netflix sometime this week.

Señor Truth;2796747 said:
It was only a rough cut then and it just came out on DVD. Still within the time frame.

I think you meant to say that the theatrical release was re-cut. There's no way in hell a director will compete for the most prestigious award in the world of cinema with just a rough cut.

I think you meant to say that the theatrical release was re-cut. There's no way in hell a director will compete for the most prestigious award in the world of cinema with just a rough cut.
Not true. If a director wants to get a movie done in time, and it's not quite finished, they might still submit it. I know Tarantino did that for Inglourious Basterds.

Wikipedia said:
A rough version of the film premiered at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival, but post-production work continued and it was not released in France until almost one year later. A cut down version was released in the United States and United Kingdom in September 2010.

Señor Truth;2800492 said:
Not true. If a director wants to get a movie done in time, and it's not quite finished, they might still submit it. I know Tarantino did that for Inglourious Basterds.

Only more reason to hate Tarantino. I stand corrected. However, Noe's Enter The Void submission wasn't a rough cut. After it competed, he cut a significant portion of it out and added a new title sequence. He didn't go into the competition with an unscored workprint like Tarantino.

Only more reason to hate Tarantino. I stand corrected. However, Noe's Enter The Void submission wasn't a rough cut. After it competed, he cut a significant portion of it out and added a new title sequence. He didn't go into the competition with an unscored workprint like Tarantino.

Directors go into film festivals with unfinished movies all the time, it's hardly a reason to hate on Tarantino.

Directors go into film festivals with unfinished movies all the time, it's hardly a reason to hate on Tarantino.

Where are you getting this from? I don't buy this for one minute. You want to provide a source for that? Festivals aren't focus groups, they're competitions. Why would someone send in their work to be judged when it's not even finished? I've been to many film festivals and I have never, ever seen or heard of a director showing an incomplete film.

Also, I retract my statement about Tarantino here because he DIDN'T send in a rough cut to compete at Cannes. He sent in a final product that he intended to later edit and add scenes to. There's a HUGE different between a rough cut (i.e., a film that hasn't gone through the final stage of post-production) and something like what Tarantino did here.

Where are you getting this from? I don't buy this for one minute. You want to provide a source for that? Festivals aren't focus groups, they're competitions. Why would someone send in their work to be judged when it's not even finished? I've been to many film festivals and I have never, ever seen or heard of a director showing an incomplete film.

1) I've been to film festivals and seen unfinished films. They're mostly finished, but not quite perfected yet. A friend of mine who went to Sundance this year was telling me that one of the films they saw, I want to say Martha Marcy May Marlene, had an unfinished sound track.

2) If you read the 2011 guide on how to submit a film to Sundance it says, and I quote, "A large percentage of the films submitted to us every year are unfinished versions with incomplete or temporary sound, missing scenes, no credits or titles, unfinished effects, etc. However, it does need to be complete enough for us to be able to make a decision."

So as you can see, Sundance gets unfinished films all the time. If you want a link (I hope this works), here it is... www.sundance.org/pdf/film-events/Submissions_FAQ.pdf

3) Not everyone is there to compete. In fact, most films don't even get considered for the awards. Most directors just want to show case their films in hopes of them getting picked up by a distributor. Some directors probably leave their films unfinished because they want to use the money a distributor pays them to hire a really great special effects person, sound editor, etc.

1) I've been to film festivals and seen unfinished films. They're mostly finished, but not quite perfected yet. A friend of mine who went to Sundance this year was telling me that one of the films they saw, I want to say Martha Marcy May Marlene, had an unfinished sound track.

2) If you read the 2011 guide on how to submit a film to Sundance it says, and I quote, "A large percentage of the films submitted to us every year are unfinished versions with incomplete or temporary sound, missing scenes, no credits or titles, unfinished effects, etc. However, it does need to be complete enough for us to be able to make a decision."

This isn't about submission, this is about competition. Name me one film that has competed in an incomplete form at one of the big three festivals (i.e., Cannes, Venice, and Berlin). I'll even let you have Toronto as well.

Also, why would you use for your example an independent film festival? You point out later in your post that film festivals are significantly used for acquiring distribution deals but this is hardly the case with the most prestigious of festivals (Cannes has the European Film Market, but it's important to note here that the festival always makes sure to distinguish competition from distribution screenings). Sundance is little more than an American version of the EFM.

3) Not everyone is there to compete. In fact, most films don't even get considered for the awards. Most directors just want to show case their films in hopes of them getting picked up by a distributor. Some directors probably leave their films unfinished because they want to use the money a distributor pays them to hire a really great special effects person, sound editor, etc.

This point is totally irrelevant to the topic at hand since we're talking about two films that DID compete. Inglorious Basterds and Enter The Void weren't screened out of competition at Cannes.

TDigle, we're on two different pages, I was just referring to festivals in general, not competitions. I should have gotten that after your first post, but you can see why I would be confused after your second post. Sundance is the only film festival I've ever really been a part of, so I was going of my knowledge there. I want to go to Cannes one day, but as a college student that's not really something I can do right now.

Toronto? I was looking into organizing a trip through my film club to the Toronto Film Festival, but it seems unlikely since it's during the school year. I had a friend who said it was one of the least worthwhile festivals to go to, but he's sort of a film snob so I don't know how much weight his words carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back