Enhancing the TNA X-division and Tag Divison, how to do it.

Reddannihilation

Championship Contender
DISCLAIMER: This is not a thread for "wah wah, fire Hogan, fire Russo, push young guys" whinging. This thread is specifically for discussing current storylines in TNA and how you feel they should be booked moving into the future, if you want to bitch about the product, do it in the whiny bitch thread.

In the past few weeks, TNA has initiated a few new storylines/altered existing ones. Most recently two areas that have begun to improve are the X-division courtesy of Doug Williams and the Tag Division (due to the sheer luck of Scott Hall being released), so lets take a better look at these two divisions and how they can be built on;

Doug Williams and the X-Division; For a while now the X-Division has been de-emphasized with a large number of the former stars being upgraded to the main event (AJ, Joe) placed in the tag division (MCMG, Shannon Moore) or pushed in different feuds (Kaz, Lethal). Because of this the X-div has become somewhat barren, luckily Doug Williams has helped re-establish the title as the TNA mid-card championship. However, since winning the title a few months ago Williams has been the only constant factor in the title scene. Recently Brian Kendrick has been chosen as his rival but beyond these two, the only person currently in the division is Amazing Red.

Unfortunately for Red he just doesn't have a character and with Kendrick and Williams trying to push the division as more than just a cruiserweight division I don't see him being placed back in the title-scene right now. That being said, I'd be more than happy for him to be involved in triple-threat matches as he's quite skilled when it comes to high-flying moves. Part of keeping the division fresh is to keep a solid rotation of potential contenders in the mix. Which is why I think that over the next few months a few people need to be added to the X-division;

Jay Lethal: I know some might see Lethal as being past the X-division at this point with his Flair feud, but I'm hoping after Victory Road the feud will come to a close and when it does Lethal's not going to be able to jump straight to the ME as it's currently stacked with faces and Lethal just isn't that convincing as a heel.

Pope Dinero: Dinero's due back after rehabing his shoulder injury from Lockdown and again seeing as he works best as a face and the ME is filled with faces a stint in the X-division would do fine to keep him busy and to help him work off some ring-rust. Equall because he's not a high-flier it again assists in building the division as an actual mid-card division.

Kazarian: With the Fortune storyline coming through and AJ set to be ousted what better way to have Kaz claim his place then to pick up the X belt one more time before he crosses over into the main event.

Currently these are just 3 possible choices for X-division title competitors that I think will work out, but aside from adding new competitors I think it'd be quite beneficial for TNA to unify the Global title with the X-title. As it currently stands TNA has 2 mid-card titles and barely any focus on either beyond the occasional match and segment. Unifying the two does a few things, firstly it allows for more tv time to be spent building up a single division, secondly it combines the competitors from both title-scene's into a single group which allows a broader range of wrestlers to feud over the title. Both of these are an advantage and in TNA's current state there isn't really a disadvantage to the unification.

That's my two cents regarding the X-division.

The TNA Tag Division:

Currently in TNA we've got the recently vacated tag-titles being fought over by Beer Money and the Motor City Machine Guns. TNA's also got GenerationME, 3-D, Ink Inc., Nash & Young and the soon to be reformed LAX. Ink Inc. is currently involved with 3-D and the recently arrived ECW group I believe the purpose of that storyline is to help establish Ink Inc. as a credible tag team, which leaves GenMe, Nash & Young and LAX essentially doing nothing.

After the upcoming Victory Road PPV I'm hoping to see a 4-way feud for the tag titles. Personally I see Beer Money winning the titles, due to the Fortune storyline, however, rather than see the typical underdog faces chase heel champions storyline, I think it'd be interesting to see the MCMG continue their role as smartasses chasing the titles but include the reformed LAX as a veteran team hungry for the gold as they also have a long history with Beer Money and have GenMe as the underdog face team.

There are 2 major reasons I'd like to see a 4-way feud, firstly entertainment, having the clash of styles from high-fliers like GenMe and MCMG combined with the brawling style of Beer Money and the high-flying/powerhouse combination of LAX would lead to some fairly interesting matches. The other reason I'd like to see a 4 way feud is timing, as it currently stands TNA has 2 hours of programming a week, by placing all four teams into the single feud each team gets exposure, we won't need to see each group wrestle week in week out but we'll still get storyline advancement. And you'll essentially be getting 4 angles in the form of 1, with each team getting either ring time or mic time the angle will develop and the truly good matches can be saved for PPV.

So basically that's my opinion on how TNA needs to move forward with the recent steps they've taken to improve the tag-division. You might think differently so feel free to share, just remember to keep this thread positive, there's enough threads littered with the same reptitive bitching about TNA, so what do you think?

One way to do it is to push doug williams as a credible heel and somehow make the returning brutus magnus a babyface and have him feud with william or turn williams face and have him feud with Kaz untill AJ leaves the fortune angle and Kaz gets bumped up to main event status.
What nedd to happen with the tagtitles is that inkinc needs to get the tagtitles so they can continue there feud with Team 3D and the band but unfortunately hall was fired or let motor city get the titles because for years they have been prmised the titles but never got them.

When it comes to the X-Division, I think that TNA has a good number of legitimate competitors that would be well suited. However, a few problems are the fact that TNA has a large number of talent that barely see any television time and some of the competitors that could be well suited for the X-Division that are on tv aren't anywhere near the X-Division scene. I think that Doug Williams has done a good job overall so far with what he's been given, which hasn't been much. I agree that he's made the X-Division Championship have more meaning than it's had in at least a year and a half, but it still has a long way to go in my opinion. For the most part, the X-Division is essentially just him and Brian Kendrick at this point.

I can see Jay Lethal, Kazarian, Homicide, Amazing Red, Samoa Joe and Desmond Wolfe all doing well in the X-Division. I know that a lot of people prefer Joe or Wolfe in a main event situation, but it just ain't gonna happen anytime soon. Both are being used for shit right now and putting them in the X-Division might be a way of giving them a fresh start, especially for Desmond Wolfe. I like the idea of the X-Division legitimately being a division open to any male wrestler of any size or style rather than being a glorified Cruiserweight division.

I know it's not going to happen, but I think retiring the TNA Global Championship would also be a good way of putting more focus and emphasis on the X-Division. It was the creation of the title, as it was originally the TNA Legends Championship, that initially took a lot of emphasis away from the X-Division in the first place.

As for the tag team scene, I think using teams like the MCMGs along with Generation Me and Ink Inc. could really help in my opinion. The tag team scene in TNA is kind of stale right now and an infusion of fresh blood into it might be what it needs. I know that the Guns have been in TNA for a long time but they're hardly ever used. We'll sometimes go for months without laying eyes on them on tv so they still feel fresh. All three teams could also be used in the X-Division but I think the tag team scene is best for them right now. The Dudleyz look to be on the verge of breaking up and, even if they don't, they're tired and stale. Beer Money, while my favorite tag team overall in wrestling right now, are facing the same problem. They're a little stale and they've done everything a team can do in TNA multiple times already. As far as LAX goes, there's a possibility of a reunion between them. Quite frankly, there's not really anything else going on for Hernandez or Homicide. So, there'll be a nice mix of teams with different styles and experience to make the tag team scene feel fresher.

I like your ideas for the tag division especially with a re-uniting LAX gunning for the belts but having to go through possibly MCMG to compete for them. Everyone missed LAX a lot, so there will probably be a lot of pops for them initially cause it's been so long. Beer Money should definitely end up being champs so that it gives Fortune that whole "we are decorated with gold because we are a part of the best group" attitude. All great ideas.

However I think to capitalize on all this undercard talent not being used, they should continue to have the x division belt and the global championship as separate titles. I think the global division belt all along should be become a US title type belt and have Desmond Wolfe beat Rob Terry for it. That way your mid card belt chasers are Lethal, Kaz, OJ, Pope, Joe and Matt Morgan. Sad to say Joe here, but nothing is going on with him and you are right, he needs something to do. Pope needs to climb back up the ranks after being hurt. He was soooo close to being champ too. I always wondered whether or not they changed the finish to the title match against AJ and Pope because of Pope's injury at lockdown. Good stuff. Good ideas.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a thread for "wah wah, fire Hogan, fire Russo, push young guys" whinging. This thread is specifically for discussing current storylines in TNA and how you feel they should be booked moving into the future, if you want to bitch about the product, do it in the whiny bitch thread.

Which of the 423654675 should I put my bitching in?

Doug Williams and the X-Division; For a while now the X-Division has been de-emphasized with a large number of the former stars being upgraded to the main event (AJ, Joe) placed in the tag division (MCMG, Shannon Moore) or pushed in different feuds (Kaz, Lethal). Because of this the X-div has become somewhat barren, luckily Doug Williams has helped re-establish the title as the TNA mid-card championship. However, since winning the title a few months ago Williams has been the only constant factor in the title scene. Recently Brian Kendrick has been chosen as his rival but beyond these two, the only person currently in the division is Amazing Red.

I'm not sure if you're saying whether Doug Williams taking on new challengers most of the time is a good thing or bad thing? He went from Moore, to Kaz, Kendrick in six months and has been been able to keep the title very entertaining with meaningful angles. It's not as though he's just jumping from opponent to opponent, heck, even his current feud with Kendrick makes complete sense.

But you are correct, the division has been picked clean of god wrestlers at this point with Suicide, Okada, Red, and Sharkboy being the only remaining "true" traditional X-Division style wrestlers not involved in another program or being pushed.

Unfortunately for Red he just doesn't have a character and with Kendrick and Williams trying to push the division as more than just a cruiserweight division I don't see him being placed back in the title-scene right now.

He won't be. I won't speak to ill of Red here, but he isn't very good for things that don't involve jumping off things.

That being said, I'd be more than happy for him to be involved in triple-threat matches as he's quite skilled when it comes to high-flying moves.

I wouldn't, look a my sig, I hate those trapeze artist in wrestling spandex ;)

Part of keeping the division fresh is to keep a solid rotation of potential contenders in the mix. Which is why I think that over the next few months a few people need to be added to the X-division;

I agree, contender's do need to be rotated and the division does need more members of substance. I don't think Red can fill that role being unable to cut any kind of promo that isn't eye-gougingly terrible.

Jay Lethal: I know some might see Lethal as being past the X-division at this point with his Flair feud, but I'm hoping after Victory Road the feud will come to a close and when it does Lethal's not going to be able to jump straight to the ME as it's currently stacked with faces and Lethal just isn't that convincing as a heel.

I'm not sure they would send someone who is ranked as the number #10 contender back into the X-Division unless he loses to Ric Flair. I can't say I agree because, despite the fact that the ME is stacked with overprotected faces, I'm not sure if it will be by the time he's done with Flair.

Pope Dinero: Dinero's due back after rehabing his shoulder injury from Lockdown and again seeing as he works best as a face and the ME is filled with faces a stint in the X-division would do fine to keep him busy and to help him work off some ring-rust. Equall because he's not a high-flier it again assists in building the division as an actual mid-card division.

Solid choice, but he does have to take on Kurt Angle at some point in the future, so dropping him directly into the X-Division after might be too many steps back too fast. It would be of mutual benefit to both the Division and himself if he did so a bit afterward though.

Kazarian: With the Fortune storyline coming through and AJ set to be ousted what better way to have Kaz claim his place then to pick up the X belt one more time before he crosses over into the main event.

The only choice I fully agree with. How good Kaz would look as a member of Fortune were he to beat the man who owned him prior to joining Fortune? The stable needs a midcard belt and him beating Doug (despite my love of Williams) makes it look as though he has improved tremendously under Flair's tutelage.

Currently these are just 3 possible choices for X-division title competitors that I think will work out, but aside from adding new competitors I think it'd be quite beneficial for TNA to unify the Global title with the X-title. As it currently stands TNA has 2 mid-card titles and barely any focus on either beyond the occasional match and segment. Unifying the two does a few things, firstly it allows for more tv time to be spent building up a single division, secondly it combines the competitors from both title-scene's into a single group which allows a broader range of wrestlers to feud over the title. Both of these are an advantage and in TNA's current state there isn't really a disadvantage to the unification.

I disagree. As it stands now, the Global title isn't on tv, or eating up viable X-Division wrestler's besides Brutus Magnus, so there really isn't a point to unifying the titles. At least not at this time.

I'd like to add a name I believe would fit well, or benefit from, being in X-Division title contention;

Desmond Wolfe: I know, I know, you all would hate to see someone with such a hot entry into TNA be put into the midcard, but look at where Wolfe is now and you'll realize that he's just about there now. Toiling in the midcard and eventually winning the title would boost Wolfe and rebuild some of his lost credibility.

The sound of a one on one Ultimate X match really has me pumped. Just how long has it been since its been like that? 2006, right? It can however go higher and I feel that Douglas Williams is opening a huge door right now. With him as champion more technical wrestling is being introduced. Its showing with his feud with Kendrick.

You aren't the only one, the booking of the X-Division is great right now and Kendrick/Williams is tuning even hardcore WWE fans in to watch it. And there are still two weeks to go.

In my mind, right now, the only thing the division needs is 3+ more members and it will be perfect.

The TNA Tag Division:

Currently in TNA we've got the recently vacated tag-titles being fought over by Beer Money and the Motor City Machine Guns. TNA's also got GenerationME, 3-D, Ink Inc., Nash & Young and the soon to be reformed LAX. Ink Inc. is currently involved with 3-D and the recently arrived ECW group I believe the purpose of that storyline is to help establish Ink Inc. as a credible tag team, which leaves GenMe, Nash & Young and LAX essentially doing nothing.

After the upcoming Victory Road PPV I'm hoping to see a 4-way feud for the tag titles. Personally I see Beer Money winning the titles, due to the Fortune storyline, however, rather than see the typical underdog faces chase heel champions storyline, I think it'd be interesting to see the MCMG continue their role as smartasses chasing the titles but include the reformed LAX as a veteran team hungry for the gold as they also have a long history with Beer Money and have GenMe as the underdog face team.

There are 2 major reasons I'd like to see a 4-way feud, firstly entertainment, having the clash of styles from high-fliers like GenMe and MCMG combined with the brawling style of Beer Money and the high-flying/powerhouse combination of LAX would lead to some fairly interesting matches. The other reason I'd like to see a 4 way feud is timing, as it currently stands TNA has 2 hours of programming a week, by placing all four teams into the single feud each team gets exposure, we won't need to see each group wrestle week in week out but we'll still get storyline advancement. And you'll essentially be getting 4 angles in the form of 1, with each team getting either ring time or mic time the angle will develop and the truly good matches can be saved for PPV.

I'd love to see something like this play out, but I still doubt LAX will be reforming anytime soon. Other than that, I agree with you entirely.

And I can't see Beer Money losing with this whole Fortune thing going, so the Guns will have to wait even more.

I like this thread, particularly the bold-faced introduction of "no whiny bitching"

The X-Division is really in a weak place right now in terms of what we know historically of the X-division. I've heard rumors of Christopher Daniels coming back and the X-division is to him what the Intercontinental title was to Jericho (I mean that in a very positive way) and that could potentially put it closer to where it has been in the past. If we want to keep it mostly cruiserweight-ish, they are going to need to reconfigure the talent a little. Fo(u)rtune strikes me as a stable of "let's win all the belts". Beer Money for tag division, AJ for main eventing, and Kazarian for X-division (even if they are all chasing and not particularly winning all the belts). There's still Homicide, Amazing Red, and Suicide-Kiyoshi to help keep it moving. If we want to eliminate the Global title (should) and make the X division title more of a midcard booster title, we have plenty of other guys to put in there. Jeff Hardy, though still a cruiserweight and X-division material already (as we've seen in the past), could add another degree in moving it towards a more prestigious, non-cruiserweight exclusive title. Samoa Joe and Desmond Wolfe are kind of in limbo right now, and I think honestly, and with no intentional malice on my part, are otherwise stuck being enhancement talent to the other main eventers and up-and-comers. They could do well in the X-division; Joe's already been there with much success, and with Wolfe's resume behind him he could work effectively in the mix as well. Right now, I think it's best though to keep the Williams-Kendrick feud relevant for the next couple of months before rebuilding the title around an alternatively tweaked division.

Tag titles should go to MCMG's period. This team has been the best tag team in TNA for three years now and have always been put on the back burner. I don't mind if Beer Money wins the belts, in fact I would like to see MCMGs chasing the titles until BFG where they can finally win it so big that I might be inclined towards a few tears of joy. Other than that, the tag division is almost as ripe and extensive as the main event scene, both scenes I personally am enjoying thoroughly right now. Beer Money, 3D, the hinting at a reformed LAX, Generation Me, Nash-Young (can I take a moment to pause and appreciate the irony on the Band storyline managing to go full circle to where it was before it started), and of course, Ink Inc., the hottest tag team going right now which is actually making a surprising bonafide superstar out of Jesse Neal, all put a lot of flavor and interest in the tag division. How to enhance the tag division? No enhancement necessary, I say. Just give the MCMGs a solid G-D title run for once.

Follow up:

For the X-Division, it's also nice to note that TNA and AAA have been working together again since February of this year. This opens up a new realm of possibilities: you could bring in a couple of one-or-two-off deals with guys who've wrestled in TNA before like Alex Koslov, Jack Evans, and bigger names like El Nicho (Psicosis) and L.A. Park (who just returned to AAA recently), as well as some other up-and-coming talents like Extreme Tiger or Joe Lider.

You could also do a short-lived revival of the Abyss-Judas Mesias feud, but that's extraneous to the conversation.

For the x division I say add eric young as a contender with nash as more of a manager role have him cost doug williams the title and start a fued eventually ending in ey getting the belt that way when lethal and the pope come into the picture they have a bigger heel in ey to face with nash watching his back this will cut down on nash in ring and give whoever beats ey a great push

Next for the tag division the best thing is to give the guns the title this would be great as they can be the underdog team who finds a way to beat their apponents after a fued with beer money they can go up against ink inc 3D and lax and then we can introduce a 4 way tag title match

I remember seeing a Japanese tag team about a year ago, right around the time Divari was in the company. Not that Unified Global Crap that HE formed with Eric Young, and some other Jap,-- but it was like an X division match that I saw on PPV, that was just AMAZING---so my question is, what happened to them? Why not bring them back to elevate the X-Division. I mean, that particular night I was watching it---it was something that the WWE could NEVER put on, no matter who they brought in. Hence, do a little research, go to the outer reaches of overseas and Mexico, and REALLY open this division up. I still think that they should turn Amazing Red heel since he can't cut a promo.....then give him a manager! Either that, or have him work a series where he comes in at the end of a match, flies around, does a finishing move, and then leaves......at least it wouldn't be a promo, and it would be heat for the next time we see him. Work on his promos in the meantime. Of course, the worst thing they ever did was let Daniels go.....he at least clung to the X Division like he owned it, and rightfully so.

As for the Tag Teams....I think for now, they could use a little tweaking.....Team 3-D is getting to be over the hill, and not over with the crowd. Sure, they're a good heel, and could be used for filler on a fued, but I don't see belts on them anymore. MCMG I still think should be given one more title run. Their teamwork is amazing. LAX the same thing.....so that leaves Beer Money and Ink and GenerationME. I don't think that the tag scene is over filled, but I wouldn't add any more....however....I think ALL the tag teams should be involved in one inter-connecting storyline......not just two at a time. I think it should just be a battle, and have maybe one gauntlet tag title at a PPV.

Both divisions are in good positions right now. The tag team division has fallen a bit but that's not necessarily TNA's fault as the blame mostly falls on Scott Hall. The X Division can be better, but as of now it's better than it was back in '07, '08 or last year. Its refreshing to see actual storylines behind the title rather than random clusterfuck matches. One things for sure. The sound of a one on one Ultimate X match really has me pumped. Just how long has it been since its been like that? 2006, right? It can however go higher and I feel that Douglas Williams is opening a huge door right now. With him as champion more technical wrestling is being introduced. Its showing with his feud with Kendrick. It be great for guys like Desmond Wolfe, Brutus Magnus and even Hernandez who oftenly lost in the shuffle. However I would refrain from the idea of getting rid of the Global Title. Guys like Matt Morgan, Rob Terry, Mr. Anderson and Kurt Angle would never fit in the X Division.

The tag team titles have been in a bit of a rut since Morgan lost them but they can bounce up fast. There is always competition for it.

Both divisions are in good positions right now. The tag team division has fallen a bit but that's not necessarily TNA's fault as the blame mostly falls on Scott Hall. The X Division can be better, but as of now it's better than it was back in '07, '08 or last year. Its refreshing to see actual storylines behind the title rather than random clusterfuck matches. One things for sure. The sound of a one on one Ultimate X match really has me pumped. Just how long has it been since its been like that? 2006, right? It can however go higher and I feel that Douglas Williams is opening a huge door right now. With him as champion more technical wrestling is being introduced. Its showing with his feud with Kendrick. It be great for guys like Desmond Wolfe, Brutus Magnus and even Hernandez who oftenly lost in the shuffle. However I would refrain from the idea of getting rid of the Global Title. Guys like Matt Morgan, Rob Terry, Mr. Anderson and Kurt Angle would never fit in the X Division.

The tag team titles have been in a bit of a rut since Morgan lost them but they can bounce up fast. There is always competition for it.

Couldn't possibly agree more, which is why I don't think guys like Lethal or Kazarian will drop-back at all – I actually think they'll use this as a means for him to "run through" the division to the point he can proclaim that he's beaten all the competition and that he's not going to defend his title anymore until real competition arrives – enter Shane Helms, Tyler Black, Austin Aeries, etc. Any number of potential orthodox X Division style wrestlers, really. Hell, you could even bring guys like Petey Williams back as a byproduct of running this type of angle.

To be honest, it's not Williams himself that makes me loves this angle so much as it is the potential of it to finally inject some new blood into the division with future acquisitions.

I'm sure I'll get a whirlwind of backtalk about how ridiculous it is that TNA would be bringing in more free agents, but if you ask me, a division this depleted could really use them – especially a Shane Helms type. Helms was the longest reigning Cruiserweight Champion in WWE history for a reason.

Exactly IDR and what I would love to see is a repeat of 2006/7 when TNA brought in guys like Liger, Strong and Aries for one off matches.

Someone like Helms and Benjamin would be exactly who is needed to put the division and Williams over. Their style compliments the storyline and Williams would look great by going over them. Even Amazing Red would be suitable and I hope he is at least given a brief feud and PPV match given that he is the only real high-flyer left in the company
I hope this all continues further. The X Division is only getting better.

The tag division is only going to benefit from having their core talent like the Guns, 3D and Beer Money. I hope Hardy and Anderson don't stay involved there long though. I know they both have a World title shot but they don't need to be teaming at all.

Build the division around a heel team in Beer Money and a face team in the Guns. It's not that tough.

enter Shane Helms,
Come to think of it I had forgotten about Helms being due for an Impact Zone debut in the near future. He'd be a good competitor for the X-title as he's got good mic. skills and he's not at all bad in ring wise. I also agree about the Petey Williams deal as he and Doug Williams had similar styles of wrestling also it'd be slightly amusing to see Williams vs Williams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back