Ed Norton: Will He Ever Be The Legendary Actor We Thought He Would Be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner
A week or so ago, I had the pleasure to watch a 1996 Richard Gere thriller called Primal Fear. While this is definitely not one of Gere's more memorable films, it is significant because it marked the first film role for a young man named Edward Norton, Jr. After Norton deservedly received a Best Supporting Actor for Primal Fear, he blew critics and film buffs away two years later as a reformed Neo-Nazi in American History X. Although that goofy-ass bastard Roberto Benigni took home the Oscar that year for the mawkish and flat-out stupid Life Is Beautiful, Norton fans could rejoice in the fact that American History X only marked the first of many occasions that Norton would be up for a Best Actor Oscar.

Unfortunately for us fans, it's over ten years later and, besides Fight Club, we've failed to see Norton live up to his true potential. What happened to this once bright star? How can someone who was destined to be one of the greatest American actors ever now be relegated to shit indy films and popcorn fare? Is it too late for Norton to become the film icon that we once thought he would be?

Well, Tdigs... I think you're being a bit too hard on Edward Norton.

I agree that while none of his films since American History X has he put on the same caliber of performance he pulled off in that film, he's still had some very, very good to great performances in films like 25 Hour (my favorite Spike Lee movie, for the record), Rounders, and Kingdom of Heaven (best epic film of the decade, IMO, and Norton's performance was absolutely astonishing). I also dig the job he did in The Illusionist and The Incredible Hulk.

All that said, I can see why someone would be disappointed with the path his career has taken at the same time. I mean, for the guy who did American History X to also go off and do a film like Death to Smoochy can make you :headscratch: .

However, it's not like his acting ability is gone. Hell, in fact, his performance in Leaves of Grass is being hailed as his best performance to date by some people. Just by looking at the trailer you can tell he really does a fantastic job in this little indy film. Check it out:

[YOUTUBE]M02hO4-_HQQ[/YOUTUBE]

So, his career is far, far from over, and I think he'll give us some great shit as the years go by. Just because he's not selective in his roles and only does 1 movie every two years like say Daniel-Day Lewis, to me that doesn't take anything away from his best performances, and when talking about the best actors alive... you HAVE to include Edward Norton.

I don't know, maybe his best work is yet to come. Look at Jeff Bridges. He has been considered a great actor for a long time but only just now during the 2010 Oscars did he finally win his first Best Actor Oscar, not that the Oscars mean all that much but they do mean something.

I think Edward Norton could still see some huge things. He is still relatively young and like JMT said none of his movies since American History X have been that bad. In fact, behind Robert Downey Jr., Edward Norton could very well be my second favorite actor to watch. He took a character like the Hulk and actually made it watchable for me, something Eric Bana, another actor I enjoy, could not do.

I think we are being a little to harsh to Ed Norton i mean you are complaining about how he hasn't done any great movies since American History X. I mean it's pretty hard to top one of the best performances ever in one of the greatest movies of all time. He did Fight Club another great movie Kingdom Of Heaven another good movie he was good in the Illusionist another movie i like and i also really liked him in The Incredible Hulk which i didn't think would happen. So i believe he is still one of the best actors out their and their is still a lot of time for him to make more great movies.

he's still had some very, very good to great performances

Great performances in some fairly forgettable films. I'd actually just call them good performances really, because a great performance would mean that people remember 25 Hour, or his role in Kingdom Of Heaven.

I think the reason his career hasn't gone quite as people though it it might've is because Norton just isn't that likeable. That might be just me, but it's also the reason that Russel Crowe isn't as big as he looked like he was going to be ten years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back