ECW Region, Indianapolis Subregion, Second Round: (1) John Cena vs. (16) Ted DiBiase

Who wins this match?

• John Cena

• Ted DiBiase

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the ECW Region, Indianapolis Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under ECW Rules, meaning anything goes. It will be held at the Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Indiana. Assume one week has passed since the first round match.

bankers-life-fieldhouse-front-view-copyright2011.jpg

3171c430329aff76b9309faa56006655.png

#1. John Cena

Vs.

03_original_display_image.jpg

#16. Ted DiBiase

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Ted DiBiase has a legitimate claim as the greatest heel gimmick of all time. Of. all. time. But what else?

Nothing that would even remotely legitimize a scenario where he defeats John Cena. DiBiase is exactly the kind of heel that would be built up to be taken down by Cena. He couldn't beat Hogan, and he wouldn't beat Cena.

Do I even need to run down Cena's list of accomplishments, the all-time greats he's beaten and made tap out, his 8 years as the face of the company, or his drawing power? There's not a scenario on this earth, clean or dirty, where DiBiase beats Cena in a big match. Cena's had as much experience and success in a variety of anything goes matches, and this wouldn't be any different. DiBiase would be competitive, but even with his minions at ringside and interfering, it wouldn't be enough.

Cena wins this with the FU and the STF. Even the most avid Cena hater can't find a justifiable reason why DiBiase would win this.

Dibiase attempts to bribe Cena, somehow it works and Cena becomes heel. Dibiase WINS! That is literally the best chance Dibiase has to winning this, bribe Cena and hope to hell Cena takes the money, but that ain't happening in this universe or any parallel universe including the one where Cena is a heel jobber and Dolph Ziggler is bigger than Hogan.

Cena wins this by a landslide. Dibiase fought top faces all the time and I cannot for the life of me recall 1 time he actually won a match against Hogan, Warrior, Savage or anyone else that was champ at the time.

My guess is its a basic formula match, Cena starts strong but Dibiase catches him in a mistake, takes over, looks like he's going in for the kill, Cena comes back does his thing and Attitude Adjusts Dibiase out of this tournament.

So yeah unless Dibiase has some incredible dirt on Cena to where he will take the bribe he's not winning this. Cena wins.

I don't see a realistic scenario where Dibiase would win this match. No title wins in the WWE except when he bought the WWF title, but he had to create his own belt just to have one around his waist as a singles competitor, and he ended up losing that one, too. To Virgil no less.

Cena's better than Virgil, which is why Cena wins this. Word life.

Ted DiBiase is one of my favorite all time characters but theres no argument you can make here about him beating Cena. Cena's been WWE champ more times than anyone else in history(IIRC), millionaire ted's never held it.

Cena wins easy.

Not much to say about this one. DiBiase had a phenomenal character, but one that is prettu much designed to lose to the people's favourite, and Cena is the epitome of that. Cena wins.

No way DiBiase could bribe Cena, he's minted. The only viable way of beating him goes out the window. This could have been a great feud with DiBiase using smoke and mirrors to hide behind to strike at Cena from a distance. If they got to the ring, however, it would be academic. Cena wins this match like John Cena does.

This would have been a fun feud and a good match but an easy win for Cena. Dibiase had about as good a debut and push a new guy could ask for when he joined the WWF in 1987. Working so closely with Hogan, Andre, and Savage during his first year established Dibiase a major player for years. With that said he didn't have much success against main event wrestlers and John Cena is one of the best main event wrestlers ever.

Going with everyone else here. DiBiase was one of the best heel characters ever, but always lost to the top faces. This match is tailor made for a Cena victory, and that is what will happen.

DiBiase was just about as over as a heel can be, but there is no logical way that I can conceive of him going over John Cena in this matchup. It's been stated numerous times in this thread, but facts are facts;...DiBiase is EXACTLY the type of heel that would be fashioned to fall to a face wrestler like Cena, If i were to book this, I'd book DiBiase very strongly(he was as good as anybody in the ring), but he'd get caught by Cena sooner than later. An AA finishes Ted at the 17 minute mark..Cena moves on.Cena's participation, and victories in bigger matches against tougher opponents makes me give him the nod over Di Biase...

As much as I liked DiBiase when I was a kid, I can't pick him here. He's not exactly in his element and he's facing off against the modern day Hulk Hogan. If Cena can go over the likes of Brock Lesnar in an environment like this, then DiBiase has pretty much no chance. I don't usually go by the equation of if Wrestler A can beat Wrestler B then A can beat C, but it's fitting in this case. Cena has beaten guys like Lesnar, Big Show, Batista, Orton & Triple H in this sort of environment; so I don't see him having any significant trouble getting past DiBiase.

Yh even when DiBiase was #1 heel in the company he never got his run with the belt. I absolutely love Ted - his attempts to get the world title and to stop The Undertaker were both great, although tons of shit matches in the second one. I remember one promo in 1995 I recently watched, was after the Michaels/Nash wrestlemania match when Ted had taken a backseat with a heel midcard stable. He recruited Sid, explained why - he wanted the thing he had been after the past 10 years, the WWE Title. Continuity! Marked so hard.

Anyway, he was made to lose to a guy like Cena here. He isn't even the number one heel in the tournament. I think it's gonna take someone very, very special to beat Cena this year, and while DiBiase is exceptional he isn't the guy. I think Cena may win it all.

Hmmm, strangely I'm gonna go with DiBiase here. In Hogan's day, the heel didn't go over the top guy and if this was being battled in the 80s Cena would win every day and twice on Sunday. However, if DiBiase was wrestling 20 years later he would be a multitime World Champion because heels do beat Cena.

Cena has one match on a ECW PPV on his record... and he lost due to outside interference. I could very easily see the Million Dollar Man having sufficient outside interference (the Dudley Boys for example) to overcome John and the ECDub fans will cheer every nefarious act against the hated one.

Hmmm, strangely I'm gonna go with DiBiase here. In Hogan's day, the heel didn't go over the top guy and if this was being battled in the 80s Cena would win every day and twice on Sunday. However, if DiBiase was wrestling 20 years later he would be a multitime World Champion because heels do beat Cena.

Cena has one match on a ECW PPV on his record... and he lost due to outside interference. I could very easily see the Million Dollar Man having sufficient outside interference (the Dudley Boys for example) to overcome John and the ECDub fans will cheer every nefarious act against the hated one.

You have an interesting point FitFinlay, I can picture it happening... but not so early on the tournament, I could see it happening at least at the semi finals, but not at this point.

That being said, Cena is the biggest star today adn easily following even by today standards or the 80's, Cena would defeat Dibiase probably via an STF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back