• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Drew McIntyre

AnthonyMango/NoFate007

A Post Is Worth A Thousand Words
So on tonight's Smackdown, we saw the return of Drew McIntyre, who had..what...a 2 or 3 week stint on Smackdown in 07 or so when he teamed up with Dave Taylor? McIntyre seems to be starting a feud with R-Truth, and is clearly a heel.

I hate being negative when someone makes their debut, but really, I wasn't impressed with his little promo. He hasn't wrestled yet, so I can't say anything on that, as I'm too lazy to look up his FCW work right now. He looks a bit odd, too. I think its the shape of his head and his ponytail accentuating it. Idk.

What are your thoughts on this "new" guy?

I liked his small stint back in 2007 but something tells me that unless he shows full in-ring competency in this run, then he'll probably be on his way out cause the mic skills just ain't working for him. His opponent for the night, R-Truth, didn't even have a chance to defend himself as McIntyre hit that double arm DDT, which made it seem like they were trying to get him over as a heel almost immediately. Granted, the only relevant heels on Smackdown right now are CM Punk, Chris Jericho, Dolph Ziggler, Kane, and the Hart Dynasty, so another mid-carder heel may be necessary.

Well, WWE wasn't sure what to do with him in 2007. I believe he started off as a heel on Smackdown and teamed with Dave Taylor. Then he was suddenly switched to Raw and mainly stayed on Heat, but switched from heel to face quite often. I believe that WWE now knows that they want him as a heel, as he has more of a heel look to him. A fued with R-Truth? Not sure who it'll help more. Truth in order to keep him more relevant on Smackdown, and maybe McIntyre to saw that he defeated a veteran. I think he's a very solid wrestler from what I remember from 2007, but we'll have to see what he amounts to in the future.

I don’t really remember much of what Drew did a couple of years ago on Smackdown because it was all forgettable. He must be good or at least a decent wrestler if the WWE has kept him around for a few years and he has been in both developmental and the main roster? I honestly don’t know if the guy is good or bad because like I said, I don’t remember what he did a couple of years ago and he isn’t someone that makes me want to search him on YouTube or do some research on him. I guess I’ll just wait and see what he does this time around as it appears that the WWE knows what they are going to do with him, hopefully it’s something good and entertaining.

He does look kinda goofy, but I liked his finisher. I like the idea of him being a heel and once Shaemus comes to SmackDown!, they could team up or something. As for a feud with R-Truth, it wasn't much so far, but R-Truth is pretty cool to watch in the ring and it would be a nice start for him since he didn't last long in 2007.

Never heard of Drew before this. When they first introduced him I just assumed he was a local jobber getting his lucky break to be fed to R-Truth. Obviously when he attacked him, that idea went out the window. As if R-Truth hadn't been buried enough, now he's getting his ass beaten in seconds by newcomers no one has ever heard of. That's a shame.

We'll have to wait and see what they do with McIntyre. The double-armed DDT he delivered to R-Truth was damn fine, and his Scottish accent gives his character a bit of personality. It piqued my interest.

I haven't seen McIntyre before, and I didn't really see enough last night to form much of an opinion on him. However, if he is going to feud with R-Truth, who is a solid midcarder, the WWE must be pretty high on him. He does look rather odd, but I thought that his accent was awesome, much better than Sheamus'.

I dont he will start a fued with R-Truth it was just because he was at the right place at the right time. and i havent seen much of him so i cant judge him yet

God, I hope Ron does have a little rivalry with McIntyre. The Truth has been aching for a program to work ever since Shelton, It's a damn shame he hasn't been used more prodominantly on SmackDown.

Drew is someone I like, He just has this arua around him. It could just be his funny shaped head though. I did like that double arm DDT he hit on Ron, It was almost like a gillotine choke set up, I would have marked the fuck out if he had applied a choke after that move.

I'd take Drew McIntyre off TV for another year or so. I'd then bring back Brian Kendrick. Yes, THE Brian Kendrick. Why? Because Kendrick looks like McIntyre. He's like him in every way, only 1/8 th his size. I'd bring back Kendrick and give him a mad scientist persona. Drew McIntrye would be the product of a cloning experiment gone wrong.

I can only go by what I saw on that specific episode of Smackdown. As to his ring work...not bad at all. Very "stiff" punches and kicks, made it look very real, and that final DDT looked like it really hurt. Kudos to that.

As to the rest, the mic work...well if they're going to make him a grumpy kill-joy type, they made a good start. Now they've got to work on developing it a bit more. I could see him working with either Jericho (gave off the same vibe in terms of attitude, but with more direct force) or possibly Punk, but we'll have to see. I didn't really see enough of him to know what he's capable of.

Personally, I felt he took a little bit too long setting up the Double-Armed DDT, and on top of that, he has an irish accent. Nothing wrong with that, i mean im 100% but there are now 4 wrestlers that are Irish, if you include Hornswoggle. Finlay stood out 3 or 4 years ago when he had an accent, but I feel it's becoming a little common now. I think it will be in his best interest to have a personality and character that stems away from his Irish heritage

Personally, I felt he took a little bit too long setting up the Double-Armed DDT, and on top of that, he has an irish accent. Nothing wrong with that, i mean im 100% but there are now 4 wrestlers that are Irish, if you include Hornswoggle. Finlay stood out 3 or 4 years ago when he had an accent, but I feel it's becoming a little common now. I think it will be in his best interest to have a personality and character that stems away from his Irish heritage
The bloke is actually scottish, pretty obvious considering he has the scottish flag emblazened all over his ring gear..

The double arm DDT was brutal but he has an awesome bridging northern lights suplex which he used as a finisher in developmental which he should've kept on for the big switch to SD!
His promo wasn't that bad, it did its part - making him look heelish.

Unlucky for him, there just isn't enough unique characteristics making up his persona to get him any further than the lower card.

Like X said earlier, I figured that the guy was a local jobber that R-Truth was going to eventually just run through. To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised by how things turned around. The double-armed DDT looked sick and the accent automatically gives him some sort of exotic quality.

Now, I don't know anything about this guy, I just have a feeling that he could be a great young lion in the WWE. I don't know why, can't explain it, I just have a feeling that he could be really good. No logic behind it, just a gut feeling.

Drew McIntyre (Galloway) had a promising early career as a heel in Britain. Most of what I saw of him came in Irish Whip Wrestling in a feud for that company's top title with Sheamus. Personally, I think he could be an effective mid-card heel.

If it wasn't for the existence of the British Invasion in TNA, I would be looking for McIntyre to be put together with Burchill, Katie Lee, Sheamus and Finlay in a reworking of McIntyre's FCW tag team, The Empire. If a mouthpiece was needed, look no further than Hot Rod. Such a faction in the mid-card of Smackdown could give several faces such as R-Truth a feud to get their teeth into

What are your thoughts on this "new" guy?

As for his look, he used to have some facial hair, and he wore his hair down and long. Looked a little like CM Punk, which is why I'm assuming they sent him back to the minors, and brought him back with a "new" look. His gimmick is almost exactly the same, and since it interested me the first time around, I'll have to wait and see how it works out now. If he stays lower mid-card, and works a solid feud or two for a few months, I can see him working his way into a PPV match or two next summer. I doubt he'll make it to a non-RR PPV before WrestleMania, so it's best to test the waters with him before tossing him in headfirst.

Drew McIntyre (Galloway) had a promising early career as a heel in Britain. Most of what I saw of him came in Irish Whip Wrestling in a feud for that company's top title with Sheamus. Personally, I think he could be an effective mid-card heel.

If it wasn't for the existence of the British Invasion in TNA, I would be looking for McIntyre to be put together with Burchill, Katie Lee, Sheamus and Finlay in a reworking of McIntyre's FCW tag team, The Empire. If a mouthpiece was needed, look no further than Hot Rod. Such a faction in the mid-card of Smackdown could give several faces such as R-Truth a feud to get their teeth into

I like your idea of the stable, but throw in Stu Sanders. I saw the two tag with Burchill down in OVW on a couple occasions, and they worked splendidly together.

On to topic, I was nothing short of impressed with Drew this week, as I thought he improved since his last stint, and was blown away by his finisher. Sure, his promo was lacking a little, but he can work on that as he goes. The only thing I can see holding him back on the mic is his accent. If too many people are put off by it, it may present a small problem.

Yeah from what I remember of his little almost non-exsistant run on SD a few years back, he has some pretty solid ring work. I've seen a little bit of his work in FCW, and he's got some skills. I really didn't think his mic skills were too bad actually, and I like that he is immediately being pushed as a big heel and make somewhat of an impact. His look is a bit generic though, and he just looks kind of awkward. I'm also not a fan of the whole double arm ddt finisher, but thats just me. Maybe he'll make a name for himself as a major heel, he definately has the ability to.

Yeah, I have read good things about McIntyre and Sanders in FCW and how could I forget Sir William Regal?

It might get a little crowded if all the talent from the British Isles were lumped together on one show but if The Empire was successful enough at gaining heat, I could see it as a cross-brand faction. Sanders and McIntyre going after the Tag Titles; Sheamus getting a push towards the ECW Title perhaps with Finlay as his manager; Katie Lee entering the Women's/Diva's Title picture as well as serving at ringside.

If it really took off, we could see other 'imperial' wrestlers being linked with The Empire. Anyone from Commonwealth countries, such as Kofi, could be suspected of conniving with the 'invaders.' It could sow discord among the entire roster, the same way the NWO did. And if The Empire needed a real figurehead to challenge for a WWE/WHC Title, there are a whole host of Canadians who could fit the bill - Edge, Christian, Jericho. Even someone like CM Punk could join The Empire as his Straight-Edge gimmick has him targeting the way of life in modern America.

In the end, the faction would become too big and begin to collapse under its own weight. Perhaps a disagreement between Katie Lee and Natalya over who should be Women's/Diva's Champion or between McIntyre/Sanders and Sheamus/Finlay over the Tag Titles begins a civil war giving some of the younger talent the chance to break out by defeating some of the more established names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back