• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does Goldberg Deserve A Retirement Match At WrestleMania?

quink987

Pre-Show Stalwart
with Goldberg wanting to return to Wrestling could the WWE reach a deal with Goldberg and have him compete in a retirement match on the grandest stage of them all.

so heres my questions....

Does he deserve to end his career at Wrestlemania?

Who should end his Career?

and would it Overshadow Rock/Cena if it happened at WM28?

ok ill go first I think he deserves it because he was the face of WCW for sometime he had the longest winning streak in history and to be honest I was a fan of his back in 1998 when he was on the rise but WCW F***ed it by ending his streak the way they did.

I think theirs only 2 men who should have the Honor in ending his career Steve Austin because it was one of the biggest dream match from 1998 to 2000 that fans really wanted to see (sting/Taker was no1) so Austin could be the guy to end it because goldberg said he would return for a match against Austin.

and the other guy should be Taker because Taker's streak is what people put their careers online to brake like HBK did so Goldberg could do the same thing.

and I believe if goldbergs career was on the line it would defo overshadow Rock/Cena if it happened at WM28

what do you think?

Well ye, I mean clearly WWE should get one outta him now before he becomes a little less relevant, but I dunno if he wants to RETIRE retire just now. Sure he can come back at WM and do something. Hey not even a match, just come in and smash a loud mouth ala Steiner Survivor Series '02, scream, spit and leave.

He had his last match at Wrestlemania. Let that be his retirement match.

Why end something that has already been ended.

Would it Overshadow Rock/Cena if it happened at WM28?

Are you kidding me?:lmao: No way.

I'm a huge fan of Goldberg during his feud with Triple H and his world title reign. He deserves to end his career at Wrestlemania.

But actually it already happened right? His career ended at wrestlemania against Brock Lesnar. He never renewed his contract eversince. He didn't even do pro-wrestling again even on other company. So should he comeback? I don't think so. We never know if he is still in shape after all these years. We never know if he can still perform.

Will it overshadow the Cena/Rock at WM28? Not a bit.

Definitly not. Goldberg never was a great wrestler either way, he had a good gimmick and was stiff. and he spit and had fireworks. Technically he sucked, his speed was about average and his brawl skills were okay. But he couldnt work, look at how he ended Bret Hart's career.

Goldberg will no doubtedly go down in history as the guy who was a major prick to HHH and Stone Cold before signing with WWE, and getting choked out by a guy a hundred pounds lighter backstage cause Goldberg claimed it wouldnt be believable to have him work with him in the ring.

Does he deserve it? Absolutely not. The last time we saw Goldberg he put on one of the worst matches in Wrestlemania history. I feel that both of them disrespected the business and the fans that night. Goldberg worked in WcW because they made him look unstoppable and they hid his deficiencies by giving him short, squash matches. He is well known in the business as being a good guy on a personal level, but a nightmare for a company to work with.

I believe that 1, If Goldberg did come back for one match at Mania, then he need to prove to us that he has it still in him. He had the (horrible) match with Lesnar at Mania, when Brock left for NFL(or UFC, can never remember) and Goldberg just flat out left. I think he had one match in five or six years, can he still do it?

2, He should have either a, an opponent where we know he will get a good show from ie. Austin(which I doubt will happen), Taker(still doubt, but a better chance), or Cena, or b, an opponent who is not quite a jobber, but will show Goldberg a "challenging" victory ie. Miz, Sheamus, Christian.

3. There is no way in hell that a one night only return of Goldberg would overshadow Cena/Rock. There's a reason that it has been made a year in advance. It's the big match on the big stage. I don't think anything can overshadow it.

In my opinion, a 'one last match' at Wrestlemania for Goldberg doesn't really offer up that much to the WWE. Yes he had a good, albeit brief run in the company, but I don't think many fans are really pining to see him return. When you take a look back at what was his final WWE match, at Wrestlemania no less, he along with Brock left a pretty sour taste in peoples mouths. Doing an appearance or two, maybe a guest ref or special Raw guest hosting gig, that I could see.

IF, and only IF he were to have that one last match. I'd say WWE would be wise to try and lure Austin into the fold. I don't see any reason why any current WWE talent should job to Goldberg, and if it is a last mach type of deal, he will most certainly go over on whomever he faces. Neither Austin or Goldberg have much to lose from a one off match, and it's perhaps the only real opponent people have wanted to see Goldberg face since he left the business.

Can it overshadow Rock/Cena. NO! WWE has put an incredible amount of effort into the Rock/Cena build. Building it for a year alone sets it apart from just about any other recent WM match that I can think of. Rock was a homegrown WWE talent, not a WCW transplant. He has a connection and fan base that dwarf anything Goldberg still has. Add in the fact that Rock is facing WWE's most loved/hated superstar amongst fans and the IWC, and any Goldberg match would pale in comparison.

Yes he was one of the biggest breakout stars in wcw and i still believe if wcw used him properly and if wcw used other talent correctly and ran there business the right way and took some cuts early they would still be around

The Undertaker., the build up for this match would be very entertaining, undertaker laying out an open challenge a few teases by john cena, cm punk and even mick foley then after a in ring promo goldberg appears and tells taker/... "your next!" and taker can play the fear angle showing doubt for the first time but ultimately going over in the end

I dont think anything can overshadow rock/ cena for the basic fct that the rock is a box office draw and a wrestling draw...most wrestlers are lucky to just be the latter

Definitly not. Goldberg never was a great wrestler either way, he had a good gimmick and was stiff. and he spit and had fireworks. Technically he sucked, his speed was about average and his brawl skills were okay. But he couldnt work, look at how he ended Bret Hart's career.

Goldberg undoubtedly go down in history as the guy who was a major prick to HHH and Stone Cold before signing with WWE, and getting choked out by a guy a hundred pounds lighter backstage cause Goldberg claimed it wouldnt be believable to have him work with him in the ring.

Couldn't agree more. I loved Goldberg at the time, but one can make the argument that he was a product of wrestling being at it's peak in the late 90s. If given the right role, almost anyone could have gone over back then.

I don't think he deserves a legit retirement match, nor do I think he should ever be considered in WWE's Hall of Fame. But if Koko B. Ware is in, you know Goldberg will eventually make it someday.

What the fuck is a retirement match 7 years after you already quit wrestling'?

Anyways, sure. I'm sure the WWE would love to squeeze another match out of one of the single biggest stars from the '90s. He recognizable and hasn't totally faded into obscurity just yet. Does he deserve it; I don't see why not. He was one of the biggest commodities in a time where wrestling was at it's best. Just because he sucks as a wrestler, just because he didn't go out right is not enough to say he doesn't deserve another match at Wrestlemania. It would probably be terrible, but what's the harm in seeing him Jack-Hammer someone like the Big Show again?

Also,
and I believe if goldbergs career was on the line it would defo overshadow Rock/Cena if it happened at WM28
On the line? He's already gone. That's not even debatable. The match would obviously have to be built as a "coming out of retirement for one last match" match. Also,
Please tell me that's not a serious question. It's even worse that you actually believe that a Goldberg match would overshaddow two of the biggest wrestlers ever having a match. Just no dude. Nothing is going to overshaddow their match. And if somehow, the chance of that ever happening would be slim. The WWE wouldn't let that happen, and I'm almost sure the fans wouldn't let that happen. I garentee you the fans would take more interest in something The Rock/John Cena do than anything Goldberg does.

Goldberg was an impressive looking athlete. He was given a strong push and an undefeated gimmick. He sold merchandise and put butts in the seats. That being said, his legacy is overrated and he does not merit a sendoff like this. He was big for 5 years, no? I honestly don't see the lasting impression he made on the business.

Well, I wouldn't call it a retirement match. I don't think it's smart to put that label on those matches, cause then you would see that guy a few months later trying to wrestle again.

I think one more match from Goldberg would be a good thing at WrestleMania. That's if he can be professional again, unlike the match he had with Lensar in 2004.

As much as people would laugh at this theory. If WWE has one more match with Goldberg at WrestleMania, then might as well use another part-timer. The Undertaker.

You want a nostalgia act to bring in the hardcore fans. That would be the match. People would be use to Goldberg winning all the time, Then the Undertaker tombstones him for the win. Be something different.

cmon are u serious??...of course he deserves a match at wrestlemania he's a legend...to all the goldberg haters out there he's BETTER than most of these so called superstars nowadays...when he wrestled it looked like he could beat his opponents ass unlike Rick Flair who won the title numerous times...oh yeah and put him in wwe 12 so i can spear the hell out of cena..

Sure he can have a retirement match. He deserves 1 more match in front of millions if he wants it. Doesn't matter who. There next. Then after the match have bret hart come out n distract Goldberg duing his celebration. Shawn michaels comes in behind n legit superkick goldergs head off. Give him a career ending concussion n make sure it was a retirement match. N bret n shawn r no totally cool after the screwjob.

From a personal standpoint as a fan, I say no. For me, Goldberg is a highly overrated flash in the pan that was only interesting because of his undefeated streak. And, truth be told, even that is pretty overly inflated when you take into account that most of his victories came over low card jobbers in matches that lasted 2 minutes or less. After his streak was ended by Kevin Nash, Goldberg just became another name on the WCW roster. A guy with a good look, granted, and some legit intensity but was piss poor inside the ring if he went longer than 5 minutes. In my opinion, Bill Goldberg simply wasn't nearly as good as some try to make him out to be.

Would be be a good business move for WWE to try and bring him back for "one more match" at WM? Well, if memory serves, I think they've already tried to do that on more than one occassion. Both sides have negotiated in the past but the deals have always fallen through and I don't see that changing. I have a feeling that Goldberg would want the moon and stars to appear at WM and WWE just isn't willing to pony up as much as he wants. On one hand, I can't blame Goldberg for trying to get as much as he can when the opportunity pops up. On the other, I can't blame WWE for turning him down if what he's asking for is just unreasonable for what he brings to the table.

A retirement match for a guy who has been retired for like 7 years? Sorry if I'm not exactly jumping on the band wagon here. That's not to say the WWE wouldn't love to milk more money out of him, as I'm sure he can draw like a madman on pure name value, but he doesn't deserve it. Just look at two of the guys who have been in retirement-type matches at WrestleMania: Shawn Michaels and Ric Flair (even if he still wrestles). Are you telling me that Goldberg deserves to be mentioned in the same category that they are? No way. To get a retirement match at WrestleMania you have to have REALLY earned it, especially if it's going to be a main attraction on the card. Goldberg was huge in WCW, but he was never much in the WWE and I don't see anything he did to change the business... So, he certainly doesn't deserve a retirement match at WrestleMania.

To be honest, I don't see Goldberg ever working with the WWE again. He doesn't seem to want to and I don't think Vince McMahon will go out of his way to get you if he knows you won't make him BIG money (Rock, Lesnar). I'm not saying Goldberg won't draw money, as he will, but for the amount they'll have to pay and whatnot, he's not worth it.

Here is my take on this ,

If wwe wants Goldberg for one more / last match at Mania , I hope wwe does it right, What I meen by that is , Bring in Goldberg now or a lil before/after survivor series 2011 , that way you can have Goldberg recreate "The Streak " have him win so many matches leading up to Mania against The Undertaker , that way it will be kinda cool at the sametime , Streak vs Streak, somebody's streak will have to end at Mania in the end. Thats just my take on this .

I'd be down with the 'Taker/Goldberg match had WWE not watered him down when he debuted in 2003. Like, if they brought back his undefeated streak back then with his debut, sure. But that's not the case. And Austin/Goldberg doesn't seem as spectacular now as it was back then. I think giving him a retirement match at WM would be a waste. He's lost his luster, IMO.

Does he deserve it? Absolutely not. The last time we saw Goldberg he put on one of the worst matches in Wrestlemania history. I feel that both of them disrespected the business and the fans that night. Goldberg worked in WcW because they made him look unstoppable and they hid his deficiencies by giving him short, squash matches. He is well known in the business as being a good guy on a personal level, but a nightmare for a company to work with.

That MSG crowd let them know what's up, though. lol

Strange thing is, I watched WMXX live on PPV and I don't remember hearing the crowd boo them or seeing Brock flip off the crowd. I found out about that years later.

Simple answer. NO. Goldberg shit on the WWE before and after he left. He claimed he was so much better than the WWE and tried his hand at basic cable car shows. WOW! He was only good because he was a WCW made talent and they let him have the winning streak to make him a name. When WCW was gone, I think Vince knew he was a hack and milked him for what he could and let him go. If the fans want to see another has-been in WWE, then more power to them. I'm not the least bit interested.

No he shouldn't, Goldberg got his WrestleMania win, his match was a huge letdown and Goldberg showed he didn't care about how his peers and fans alike viewed the bout which is a terrible shame because most fan will probably remember him by his WrestleMania20 match and look at him that he was all hype and nothing to back it up.

Does he deserve to end his career at Wrestlemania
Based on his last run i would say hell no considering the mess he made of his only Wrestlemania match to date. Sure he should get to bow out on the grandest stage of them all but aside from maybe Triple H i don't see anyone for him to be in a feud with that wouldn't seem just thrown together for the sake of a wrestlemania match.

Who should end his career
Well like i said above there is barely anyone on the roster that he has any history to play on for a potential feud. if i had to chose someone i would pick a guy that would use the win over Goldberg at WM to solidify themselves in the main event. Im thinking maybe Sheamus Wade Barrett or Daniel Bryan. A feud with one of those 3 would have to be very well done for it to mean anything and for it not to just be a novelty match based on Goldbergs star power alone. Besides i don't think Goldberg would agree to losing a once off match at WM.

would it Overshadow Rock/Cena if it happened at WM28
Please tell me that's not a serious question. :lmao:

No, Bill Goldeberg does not deserve a retirement match at Wrestlemania. He got his Mania match at Wrestlemania 20, when he was already 5 years passed his prime. He could not wrestle, had zero ring psychology, rarely ever sold for opponents, the same guys who built the the streak up for him. Goldberg had a small run in a company going broke for 12-18 months. Whoopy doo. Goldberg rarely did what was right for business, he did what was right for Bill Goldberg. He was offfered a match against Taker two years ago and he knocked it back, why on earth would Vince bring him back for a one off match with zero build up and have him go over one of his contracted stars????? Makes absolutely zero sense. Guys like Arn Anderson, Barry Windham, Larry Zybysko, Vader, Great Muta are guys who spent the Majority of their North American careers in WCW who are far more deserving of a Hall of Fame appearance than Selfish Billy Goldberg.

Does he deserve to end his career at Wrestlemania? No way in hell he is a WCW man...a virtual bust in the WWE, has trashed the WWE at every oppurtunity and could not even put on a good match last time hew as here

Who should end his Career? I heard Undetraker and it made me sick...That woudl be a horrible match. Taker can barely go Goldberg would do nothing . Plus it would do something for anyone. I am tempted to say Zack Ryder just so his last match he can get his ass the send off he deserves. But I would say Sheamus he can brogue kick him inot oblivion

Bwahaha

To be Honest i don't think Goldberg deserves anything...To be honest what has he really done for wrestling but think he is better then the Sport..He may be somewhat of a nice guy..But i think he is in the League of Ultimate Warrior...Someone who they thought had the look..so they gave them the Strap...besides a winning streak..what defining moment does Goldberg have...

So then u ask should he have his retirement match at wrestlemania...As long as its not as boring as it was when he faced Brock Lesner..That match was totally boring..one of the worsts Matches on the Wrestlemania 20 card...Stone cold made that Match exciting...

I think if you are going to pick someone to end his career..any of the solid midcarders could..they all Wrestle better then Him...the only thing that gets him over is the power that he has...He has no real wrestling Skill at all....

Do i think it would overshadow Cena/Rock....HELL NO...Cena and Rock are better then Goldberg any day of the week and twice on sunday...The both have more talent in there one pinky then he has in his whole body....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back