Crimson: "I'm Not Trying To Be Bill Goldberg"

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
I saw this interview on the main page, and this one part really caught my attention:

On his streak and comparisons to Goldberg: "There's no hostility between me and Goldberg. I don't follow Goldberg on Twitter. I don't pay attention to Bill Goldberg these days. People came to me calling me a 'Poor Man's Goldberg,' and he was retweeting the fans' stuff basically saying the same thing. It's sad that some of the simple-minded people out there, because of an undefeated streak, automatically assume that I trying to be Bill Goldberg, which I'm not. The fact that I'm an intense, and maybe some of my in-ring style, and because I break out a spear every so often (which hundreds of wrestlers do), it makes me out to be Bill Goldberg. Bottom line, I'm not trying to be Bill Goldberg."

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/243298-crimson-speaks-on-goldberg-comparisons-his-streak-tna

A lot of people like to compare young and upcoming wrestlers with legends of the past, or guys, who were very popular at one time, because they see certain parallels between the two.

"Randy Orton is the next Stone Cold Steve Austin." This is one of the more popular comparisons I've seen on the forums before, but I can never buy into it. Orton's popularity has exploded recently, he has delivered some outstanding matches this year, and he usually receives huge pops, when he enters any arena. But the Stone Cold comparisons always seem so far-fetched, because Austin was a mega star, and he is a legend.

Bill Goldberg does receive the overrated tag a lot around here. He doesn't have a long list of classic five star matches, but he was a phenomenon in the late 90's, and he was as hot as anybody, when he was on top. Live crowds went nuts for this man, everyone was foaming at the mouth for a spear and a jackhammer, and Bill Goldberg did have the PERFECT look for his character.

Crimson received a big push, when his undefeated streak began to gain some steam, but Crimson doesn't have the same spark that Goldberg did. He isn't as popular as Goldberg was during his dominant reign, and Crimson's streak doesn't have that "must-see" feeling.

Personally, I don't see anything special in Crimson right now. He does have some potential, and he could improve with more time, but I couldn't understand some of the hype, when the streak first began. Although, I will say this, Crimson's comments do sound refreshing. He doesn't want the "I'm the next Goldberg!" label. He wants to be known as the first Crimson. He wants to make his own path, and I do respect his comments.

What are your thoughts?

I see absolutely nothing in Crimson. He's as generic and boring as they come. As much as TNA like to say he is, Crimson is nothing out of the ordinary.

It's a good thing he's not trying to be Goldberg. Because if he is, he's doing a shit job of it. Goldberg was incredible. He caught the crowds attention and ran with it like a motherfucker. Crimson has, erm... not. He's not got himself over in the way Goldberg did, and given the fact that TNA have put him over a lot, that's largely his fault. Sure, TNA could do more. I don't think they have built up his streak enough, certainly not in the way WCW built up Goldberg's. And he should be in a proper, big feud for Bound For Glory - not hanging around with Matt Morgan and Samoa Joe sometimes.

As for the man himself, maybe he should try to channel some Goldberg if he thinks he isn't at the moment. Lord knows he could use some of Goldberg's amazing charisma.

Crimson is absolutely right he is no Bill Golberg.

Goldberg was a box office smash. Crimson is a boring, green, no talent, charisma black hole. His moveset is boring and unbelievable. He should be booked as aheel because TNA keep giving him this sneaky roll up victories after being destroyed for 10 minutes.

He's a channel changer.

i dont blame tna for pushing crimson...they need new stars...there will never be another goldberg that dude came out of nowhere and goldbergs gimic couldve only worked in a wcw environment where he wasnt intentionally the main event guy more so as just a gimic type thing that stays mid card tna's roster isnt big enough and tna is protecting all there stars ...other than joe.

Of course Crimson is trying to be like Goldberg. Everything TNA does is trying to be like something from the past. But that's the writers fault, not his.

The obvious difference is Crimosn can actually wrestle. Goldberg was just a big guy with a couple of moves that he did well, when not botching and nearly crippling people with. Goldberg had a great look, charisma but like many before him, he figured he was his gimmick and was bigger than the sport, which he so was not. When surrounded by guys who could wrestle, tell a story, sell in WWE, he was found wanting very badly. Crimson on the other hand seems to be able to wrestle, is very intense and has a very bright future. WWE will sink their teeth into him when he is off contract.

when I see people say "crimson is boring, has no character" blah blah bah I always ask myself..."are the the same motherfuckers who root for joe?" That being said...one is power, the other is more technical...yea...galderg...well....he use to wrestle...lets leave it ass that

I was fortunate enough to see Goldbergs first match on WCW. Thank you to the OP for this post as it jogged my memory a little bit to remember that moment.

I got caught up in the Goldberg hype at the time and knew as the moment he debuted that he would be big. But, Goldberg was on a show that a) Had better ratings than TNA does right now. b) Was booked correctly. Something that TNA has tried diligently to do since their inception but has not quite mastered the art. and c) He had (has) the look.

I said all that to say this. Crimson definitely has the look. He is a big man with intimidating features. He definitely could use some in-ring work and mic skills but given the time and right guidance/booking he could be pretty good.

Maybe not the 'next' Goldberg. But honestly, Who wants that?

I think the most important facet of the Crimson/Goldberg comparison is the respective companies they work for.

Goldberg was the right guy, in the right place, at the right time. The nWo was already well on it's way to becoming stale and, and Goldberg had a look and power game that allowed Bischoff and WCW to get behind him and give him a monstrous push.

Crimson on the other hand, finds himself at the mercy of Impact Wrestling, and they are indecisive with their talent and that is putting it nicely. Maybe the best comparison mirrors his own current feud with Samoa Joe. Joe had arguably the best push of any talent in the history of Impact/TNA when he arrived. But once his streak came to an end, they dropped the ball with him time and time again.

I can't really see Crimson ever getting to that Goldberg level of recognition, at least not in terms of the streak. Dixie Carter and the creative minds at Impact lack the ability to really get behind any one talent and push them to the limit. If they really want to make Crimson's streak mean anything, it might be time to start looking at putting him in the title hunt. Bound For Glory Series aside, anyone with an unbeaten streak as long as Crimson's character should have been in the title hunt long ago. Meandering from mid card feud to mid card feud not only devalues the idea of an unbeaten talent, it does little to make anyone think it will end anytime soon. The real test will be to see if they can get him into a larger program, and create an atmosphere where people truly think his streak is in jeopardy. Until then, he will be treading water like Joe and countless other talents on their roster.

As for Goldberg, he's shown a general lack of respect for just about any pro wrestler other than himself since the day he left the business. Goldberg simply used Crimson to get his own name 'trending' and back in the IWC forefront to test the waters for any possible bookings since he has supposedly been considering a match in 2012.

Talent wise, neither have ever really blown me away. Both fall into that Five Moves of Doom category. Goldberg's matches could have been great drinking games, had you taken a shot every time you called something from his arsenal.

If Crimson were to work on his timing, and adapt a more versatile move set, he'd be in a much better position. He doesn't come across as a Goldberg clone, but he doesn't come across as a man with the talent to stay undefeated either.

I just had to come put in my two cents, especially w/all the Crimson negativity.

I liked Crimson even when he was just starting out. He seemed to have the look and the intensity.

I still like Crimson. He's a likable character, with a good name, decent skills (which can only get better since he was pushed into his spot pretty quickly), and a good attitude.

The comparisons about the streaks are just silly. I mean, let's face it. Crimson is looking as though he's fighting through adversity to get his streak. Goldberg? His streak was based mostly by beating guys like Lodi, Kenny Kaos, Ralphus, John Doe, Joe Smith, Jim Johnson, etc. etc.

In other words, feeding jobbers to a guy to give him numbers is a little different than fighting bigger names w/in the company you're in.

Another thing about Crimson is the attitude. He's pretty humble in this interview. He knows he's green and needs work. He seems a bit taken aback by the comparison, but wants to be known as his own guy.

Goldberg? He had an ego on him the size of a Hogan's. He believed his own hype which one, allowed him to be a flash in the pan, and two, got him pwned by Chris Jericho backstage.

So, while Crimson and Goldberg obviously have similar physical attributes/looks to them (which may have been assisted by Russo... who knows?) and a similar ring style simply because of their personas, I will have to give the nod to Crimson here.

Why? Because he's got boatloads of potential, knows he needs to learn and gain more experience (which he will because he has the right outlook/perspective), and has the right attitude to make it because he's not immediately considering himself above the "peons" and thinking that his shit doesn't stink.

Off course he tries to be the next goldberg. But he is failing. He tries to do the same mannerisms before a match (holding ropes and screaming or something), he uses spear, he has undefeated streak.

I have never been a goldberg fan, but for crimson I just really don't care. And I think tna realized that this guy is not "the next big thing". That is why, i think, he was pulled out of the bfg tournament.

Crimson is absolutely right he is no Bill Golberg.

Goldberg was a box office smash. Crimson is a boring, green, no talent, charisma black hole. His moveset is boring and unbelievable. He should be booked as aheel because TNA keep giving him this sneaky roll up victories after being destroyed for 10 minutes.

He's a channel changer.

:lmao:

I laugh because it's blunt yet true.

They should have put him in tag teams with his "brother" Amazing Red. Do a slow built. Do something different. People compare him to Bill because TNA wanted him to be! They gave him a winning streak from the upset. He stabbed the biggest dude in TNA, Abyss in his second appearance.

I don't think Crimson is devoided of things but TNA pushing him too quickly has exposed him too much.

A little mystery goes a long way of people wanting to discover someone. It's better than shoving someone down people's throat. Not everything has to be sold like The Transformers, sometime just a little int of sometime exciting and a great word of mouth, it gives you an Inception.

Also I never liked Goldberg but sadly when I see guys like Crimson and other guys of his generation and watch DVD matchs with Goldberg in it I realise that damn this guy was actually great! And he is missed greatly.

Crimson made a smart choice here. He needs to eliminate the Goldberg comparisons because he will always be viewed as inferior to guys like Goldberg otherwise. I say the sooner he gets his point across the better. It would benefit him a whole lot more to be the first Crimson rather than a Goldberg knockoff. I am enjoying his current angle and hope to see the push continue. Crimson will surely be a top guy in TNA in the future. Once he reaches that point I can see him being there for a really long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back