• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does anyone else see a Cena vs HHH race to equal Ric Flair's 16 Championships?

J-sin

Occasional Pre-Show
For WM 33 that is. Triple H winning the RR potentially sets up another major storyline for Wrestlemania 33.... Say if HHH (the now 14 time Champ) defends the championship before WM, at say Fastlane he could lose the match to Reigns or whoever it may be and then after the match, maybe the LoN or New Day etc can come to the ring and beat down the new champ..... After the beat down, Hunter gets on the mic and uses his Authority to call for an immediate rematch, with an unconcious opponent he calls for the ref to Start the match and BOOM there we have HHH joining John Cena as a 15 time World Heavyweight Champion....

Therefore at WM33 we can maybe have a Triple Threat match for the championship with Trips and Cena as the 2 contenders along with whoever is champ, thus giving Cena and HHH the chance to equal Ric Flair's 16 reigns as Champion I only say a Triple Threat as it ensures they are both in the championship match both being 15 time champions Or maybe there could even be a tournament that concludes with the championship at WM where they have both won through to the Final, but a Triple threat match sounds more viable than that option.... What do u guys think?

No. Triple H won't allow himself to equal or surpass Flair. He's too smart for that. He'll book Cena to do it and people will resent him for it in some capacity.

Wrestling has changed since Flair was world champion, and pro-wrestling titles seem to be respected whoever holds them. For example WWE's titles are not admired like they were in the past. Anyone can hold the IC title and look like the next best thing. Now, only certain wrestles like Cena, Owens, and Ambrose can really make their title reigns mean anything.

That's why I don't fret if WWE decides to give their wrestles multiple title reigns. If someone like Cena suppressed Flair's record it wouldn't mean much. Yeah, Cena has more "world championships" then Flair, but WWE want's him to be champion! Cena is a great champion. But nowhere near the level Flair was in his prime.

Nah, Triple H winning it was more of a necessity than desire. Besides the title switches hands so much now the # of reigns just doesn't seem that bit deal anymore. When Flair held it they held it for a while, well until his last few.

Edge is a 10-time world champion, and I can only remember 2 of his title reigns.

No I think Triple H is done winning titles. I saw this coming since The Authority started. I knew at some point it would lead to Trips winning the title as the evil boss so whoever ends the Authority would win it.

They're telling a story which is why he's champion. I cant see a logical story where he'll win it again

Hasn't Triple H been without the gold for 7 years now? If he had any intention of beating and surpassing he would have booked himself to hold the gold 2-3 times since his last.

He has won this purely for storyline purposes and nothing else. It makes sense.

Nah, Triple H winning it was more of a necessity than desire.

That.

The Creative people are trying to do something big here......perhaps the downfall of the Authority's 'might makes right' method of doing business (I hope) and it's terrific that the group in charge actually has someone who can be forced to put his money where his mouth is. (I'm trying to imagine Dixie Carter of TNA or Paul Heyman of ECW having to get in the ring with a pro wrestler to defend their empire. :))

Maybe there will be an announcement or two that Cena and Triple H are just below Ric Flair in total number of title reigns but I doubt anyone will be looking to have those two guys competing to see who can top it. As it is, we can't know if Cena is to have any involvement with Triple H at all in these next few months.

Hopefully, the whole mess will be fully resolved at WM32 and Trips returns to his $1000 suits and desk in Stamford.

Remember, Paul Levesque was married to Stephanie McMahon while still an active wrestler and member of top management. If he was after the largest number of title reigns, he could have taken it for himself years ago.

Triple isn't pushing for that record. Why? He hasn't won a World Championship in like 7 years. Last night's win came as a necessity, for storyline reasons and due to the fact that many big names, will be missing from Wrestlemania.

Cena's the one that will reach and break the record. And maybe Randy Orton, since he's like 35 and has already 12 World Ttitles under his belt.

To co-sign on what others have said, I feel Triple H becoming champ was by necessity than desire. Take away the injuries and I wouldn't even have seen Triple H in this Royal Rumble. Apart of me feels he would've been involved in a program with Rollins.

Nah, its just one time thing. Dont think he cares about Flair thing though its probably flattering to get to be one more time Champ.

I get what they want to do with heat on him for winning and Reigns beating him at Mania though maybe it was better to gave it to someone fresh like maybe Owens. HHH- Reigns doesnt need title because its personal feud. But id does raise the stakes one more notch with title there. :)

I could if Triple H was an active member of the roster and not semi-retired. This could very well be his final championship. Cena is 38, Triple H is 44, the greater injury risk lies with the elder statesman.

I don't think Triple H puts himself in that position. His career is otherwise very distinguished and dogged by many criticism of being an also-ran. It would almost be a better stamp on history if he didn't. 14 is a nice rounded number.

Who honestly know....what happens if wwe are in the same position in 2 years in regards to injuries? I don't think this will be the last title reign for hhh

Unless the story calls for it I am pretty sure this might as well be his last reign. I think it's actually going to turn out to be very good! Cena is probably sure to beat the record. I don't think it honestly matters, but I wouldn't mind Flair's record staying in tact.

HHH is only world champion right now because the Roman Reigns push has suffered another setback. I really believe that the options going into the Rumble were the following. 1. If the crowd accepts Reigns then he'll come out champion. 2. If they boo him then HHH is winning it. We heard the boo's and HHH is champion.

As HHH said there is always a plan B and I believe in this case he was plan B. He has no intention of going after Flairs record and I think only Cena will surpass it. Although at the rate Reigns is winning and losing the title, he could surpass it by the end of the year, maybe even sooner.

I feel there is a strong possibility of this happening. But only because WWE expect Cena to beat Ric Flairs record one day anyway, so by making Triple H do it too, or first, it may transfer the heat that Cena will recieve once he does break that record.
A lot of fans have said they would boycott the WWE completely if Cena gets 16 or 17 titles.... the Tweet Chavo made about the comparison between Flair and Cena made plenty of people stand up and...well hide behind social media, but I digress...

We're just in a new era...there is more television time for wrestling and PPV's are more frequent and the WWE title is hot potatoed to make maximum profit. So OFCOURSE Ric Flair's record still means more regardless. And I do see why it would piss a few people off....HELL it would piss me off, but at least I know that I'm just being pathetic about it. That episode of RAW when Cena actually won the title TWICE in one night....that really got on my tits..I digress....
If Triple H beat the record. All "married the boss's daughter" and the famous shovel comments would take place....but I'll be damned if he didn't deserve it! Favoritism or not, he has been one hell of a performer over the years and I for one wouldn't mind it one bit.

Triple isn't pushing for that record. Why? He hasn't won a World Championship in like 7 years. Last night's win came as a necessity, for storyline reasons and due to the fact that many big names, will be missing from Wrestlemania.

Cena's the one that will reach and break the record. And maybe Randy Orton, since he's like 35 and has already 12 World Ttitles under his belt.

Right! HHH vs. Reigns is probably the biggest storyline they could go with since HHH vs. Rock isn't happening. Brock vs. Reigns II would have been nice.

This is Triple H's last WWE Championship. He's going to lose to Roman Reigns at WM32, and that's it (as far as HHH winning the WWE Championship).

John Cena then breaks the record and all is well.

Whether they do or don't pass Flair is largely irrlevant in my opinion. Records are made to be broken, but the ones breaking them aren't necessarily better. The reason is because they are COMPLETELY different eras. Just like in pro sports, it's difficult to compare players statistical accomplishments across eras because the game changes so much over time......it's the same thing in wrestling. The pacing of title reigns and feuds is totally different now. Plus, you had two world titles for a long time in the same company.

Ric Flair's position in wrestling history is firmly cemented and those who surpass him in title reigns won't necessarily surpass his greatness. Cena and HHH(and I have respect for both) certainly haven't and won't. Ultimately it's just a number.

To co-sign on what others have said, I feel Triple H becoming champ was by necessity than desire. Take away the injuries and I wouldn't even have seen Triple H in this Royal Rumble. Apart of me feels he would've been involved in a program with Rollins.

Don't talk wet, Seth Rollins is HHH's Boyfriend, so why would HHH feud with him?

That would be a cool idea but I would say no. HHH is only holding the Title now just for story line purposes, Hunter does not want to pass Rick. He will leave that for John to do sometime in 2016.
That would be a great idea John vs. HHH and the winner gets his 16th Title, Rick could also come out towards the end of the match and help one of the two win which would probably be HHH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back