• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is someone going to beat Flair´s 16 championships?

Well I feel this question serves 2 purposes. 1, is someone going to surpass his record and 2, will this person's total be really counted as legit reigns (i.e. would fans care about the title reigns as they did back when the belt(s) meant something)? If asking question #1, the answer is sure, why not? Records are made to be broken (although probably no one will ever bat over .400 again and The Undertaker's record will never be broken). That being said, yeah, someone's going to win 19-20, probably more, titles. But here's the thing, Flair's 1st 7 title reigns actually meant something.

Sure, those other 9 reigns came when either wrestling was on the decline and no one really cared or they came when Flair was just "given" the belt to pump up his record (i.e. beating Jeff Jarrett, although in no way am I saying Jeff was a better wrestler, just making a point).

If question #2 applies, then those reigns won't mean as much as thus, just be a number beside "x person won x amount of titles". Both seem likely to happen. Cena will surely beat his record, so will Edge and of course, Flair's friend HHH. I used to think Taker could have, but at least they give Taker the belt sparingly, as was the case with Shawn Michaels. Flair's reigns meant something, they were special. They lasted years at a time. Now, Cena wins the title on average 4 times a year. At that rate, he'll surpass Flair in another two years. So sad, but hey, that's the way of "Sports Entertainment"

I understand what you're saying. Same with the Women's championship, WWE recognizes Moolah's "first" womens title reign to be 10, 179 days but really that is her 5th title reign, wwe bought the rights to the nwa women's title. My point is that even though they dont regonize certain things the fact is that it happend. I guess it all just depends on everyone's individual perception

No arguments there man, you're totally right and I agree with what you're saying, its just unfortunate that the history writers don't. Besides, the real person to beat is Jerry Lawler, that guy has over 35 world titles to his name.

In my opinion, any one of the mentioned characters has a chance at topping THE MAN. The way the WHC changes hands at what seems like every other pay-per-view is crazy. I miss the way a champion was a champion for a reason. Because he was the best there is! Not the flavor of the month.

I'm not really sure Triple H has 4 more Title Reigns left in him myself. (like Edge) age and injuries could be a bit problem. I think his character may start to move away from the main championship into a more mentor/Kane type role (getting younger people over). Feel free to disagree.

Cena has a massive chance. Particularly as the WWE seem incapeable to write him into a storyline without either chasing the belt or having it, I'd say he could break the 20 mark without too much difficultly in the next 5-10 years.

Orton is a bit like the Undertaker, his character is so good that he doesn't always need the belt.

With Edge, whether age is on his side I'm not sure. (Personally) I rate him as the most credible champ in the company, so it's possible.

(In terms of looking at this literally) right now they're all on the same show. If one makes a break for Smackdown they've got a bigger chance than staying on the packed raw.

I'll start with HHH since he is closest. I personally think he will choose not break or even equal the record. For two reasons, 1) he will be aware of the lack of credibility he will have due to his connections. 2) I think he has probably realised now the amount of respect HBK has gained by not hogging the gols, by putting over the next generation. Hunter must realise this is where real respect is earned.

Second favourite has to be Cena, but I feel his time is winding down. Like many I feel his time as the face of the company is coming to an end. This of course doesnt mean he wont win more world titles, he surely will, I just cant see another 8.

Edge - I think injuries will mean has no chance. I also dont think he is deserving. He has already achieved more than his ability deserves by surpassing HBK and Taker,.

That really leaves Orton. The future face of the company - I expect to see the keys handed over with a clean victory over Cena at Wrestlemania. With a suspected further 10 year career, I can barely comprehend him not smashing the record.

Umm , Triple H is close ? Or maybe Vince won't give him the title...

Well , it could possibly happen , maybe John Cena , Randy Orton or Edge could do it ? Maybe ?

But isn't Ric remembered by his 16 world championships ? That's what I "remember" him by . So why would WWE even try to "beat" his record ? Doesn't make sense .

*NOTE: This is MY OPINION . Don't hate on MY OPINION . State your own . I'm not stupid and I know what I am talking about . Thanks .

The thing most important to realise was that flair was champ during an era where there were very few world title changes. In the 80's flair had 3 world title reigns for a year and one title reign that lasted 2 years plus he had another reign that lasted a good part of a year. so for flair to earn 16 world titles, it is a lot more meaningful than a wrestler in today's era. The wrestler's today, have weekly live cable shows and PPVs that demand more frequent title changes, so by sheer nature of the beast they will get more title reigns.

you know what i don't care about your rules, u perfer WWE wrestlers when Ric Flair only won the WWE title twice, the WCW world title eight times and the NWA world title six times. So i am going to be an asshole and say that Kurt Angle is going to be the first to break it hell the man has already won the damn world title 13 different times from WCW, WWE, and TNA. So for me the only person who possible could break Slick Ric's 16 championships is somebody who went to about two or three different companies and won there World Title multiple times. I personally don't care what anybody says but if I may quote a wise, great wrestler "YOU MAKE YOUR RULES AND I WILL BREAK THEM YA!!!"

you know what i don't care about your rules, u perfer WWE wrestlers when Ric Flair only won the WWE title twice, the WCW world title eight times and the NWA world title six times. So i am going to be an asshole and say that Kurt Angle is going to be the first to break it hell the man has already won the damn world title 13 different times from WCW, WWE, and TNA. So for me the only person who possible could break Slick Ric's 16 championships is somebody who went to about two or three different companies and won there World Title multiple times. I personally don't care what anybody says but if I may quote a wise, great wrestler "YOU MAKE YOUR RULES AND I WILL BREAK THEM YA!!!"

hmmm dude calm down, just chill, seriously. I've read everyones answers and all I can say is that I didn't count Kurt Angle, for one single reason, I forgot how many championships he has! excuse for making mistakes and being human! but yes I do consider Angle as a great option plus the fact that Falir IS in TNA and NOT in WWE, that could be a push for Kurt.

I don't prefer WWE, I just don't think that AJ Styles who is a 1 one time champ (NOT saying that he isn't a good wrestler cause he is PHENOMENAL) has better chances than HHH a 13 time champ. by the way there ISN'T NWA or WCW anymore so...I know..I'm not perfect and I made a mistake! calm down dude....

hmmm dude calm down, just chill, seriously. I've read everyones answers and all I can say is that I didn't count Kurt Angle, for one single reason, I forgot how many championships he has! excuse for making mistakes and being human! but yes I do consider Angle as a great option plus the fact that Falir IS in TNA and NOT in WWE, that could be a push for Kurt.

I don't prefer WWE, I just don't think that AJ Styles who is a 1 one time champ (NOT saying that he isn't a good wrestler cause he is PHENOMENAL) has better chances than HHH a 13 time champ. by the way there ISN'T NWA or WCW anymore so...I know..I'm not perfect and I made a mistake! calm down dude....

Allright "DUDE" first you just prove that your not a fan of TNA and that you perfer WWE. First Off AJ Styles is 8. Time World Champion (4 times from TNA, 1 from Christian Wrestling Federation/Entertainment, 2 from Ballpark Brawl, and 1 from All Access Wrestling) Also Jeff Jarrett is an 10 time world champion (4 from WCW and 6 from TNA when it was the NWA title) so theres another multiple time world champion u forgot. Second of all I would rather watch and AJ styles botch fest then a John Cena 5 star match. Third the NWA is still around its just hooking onto smaller promotions who aren't on t.v. you know believe me look up the list of NWA heavyweight champions, because the title is still around. Fourth I am just saying here why not put this in the Old School Wrestling Section instead of WWE section because like you said Kurt Angle is the Greatest Wrestler in the World and Ric is in TNA not WWE so i am just saying very stupid on your part and you really need to check your facts for multiple time world champions who are still wrestling and can break it.

I'm not even going to bother reading the posts before mine. The fact that someone even started this thread to ask this question disgusts me... Look at how many world titles most of the current main even roster holds. HHH has held the damn title 8 times in 10 years... In 5 years, John Cena has held it 7 times... At this rate, with this pattern, Ric Flair's title reigns will be undermined by paper champions who sell merchandise or pander to children. It's sickening. To me, the WWE Championship and World Heavyweight Championshop are just accessories to these people until the next cookie cutter champion is fresh out of the oven. The titles hold little to no prestige in this day and age... They need to fix this problem soon, or the titles will be as worthless as the people that hold them (Jack Swagger?)

Okay i know it may sound dumb, but why would anyone want to be up there as a 16time former world champion...doesnt that mean you have lost the belt the same amount of times? I mean come on who wants to be know as the 16 TIME FORMER WORLD CHAMPION WHO LOST THE BELT 16 TIMES TO DIFFERENT PEOPLE, its stupid.

But if anyone was to match flair or out do him in going to say.....Cody Rhodes (NOT JUST COS IM A RHODAHOLIC OR A UNCOMMON WORSHIPER) because he is 24 and has his whole career ahead of him.

To be honest, who the hell knows. Before I was questionable but once Flair went to WWE I knew his record had no chance. However I don't believe it will be Edge, HHH, or Cena. According to them the have so much respect for Flair and what he's done, so why would they take his record away? Just because he went to TNA because he doesnt know anything but the wrestling buisness.

And other people on the roster, no one else really has anything close to 5-6 besides Orton. So unless something drastic happens I see the record holding.

Yes is the simple answer. All the names mentioned (cena edge hhh orton) ,if they stay clear of serious injuries, should pass 16 and this is due to wrestlings format these days with weekly shows and monthly ppvs there are a lot more oppurtunities to win the title and average reigns are way down on what they used to be when people could easily hold the title for more than a year making ammasing a lot of championships alot easier as edges record proves.

By far, HHH will definitely be the one to break the record, AND I definitely see him being the one to set the new standard. It will be over 20. HHH still has many years left in him and is the heir to the company.

Edge might do it because of his shock factor, but these will not be long title reigns at all. Probably win it/lose it the same night scenarios. But I imagine Vince will probably halt Edge being a champion for a while.

Cena will never touch the record. His reigns are longer than the others, so shifts won't happen as often.

Someone else mentioned that a 16 time champion means you LOST 16 times too. Although vacating the title/injury forfeits are included, yeah, they still lost the title that many times. Title reigns should be achievements based on # of times defended and duration of time that they held it. But since its easier to say 16 time champ, the WWE audience with ADD will cheer it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back