• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does a Diva's body shape actually matter now?

Madico_Fs

Australian Heavyweight Champion
I was watching a match between OBD (former TNA Knockouts Champion) and Mickie James for WWC, now it got me thinking, with the way WWE is going with PG does a Diva'a Body shape actually matter anymore?
Today we have diva's like Michelle McCool (SD!) and Melina (Raw) who are in a slim shape, however dont get me wrong as a targeter of bigger women, personally they seem more healthy to me, but Mickie James, OBD and Awesome Kong are not the slimmest women in the business.

My question to you is does weight and body shape actually matter in the ever changing world of Pro-Wrestling?

I would say yes. I dont want to watch a divas match as it is, but I still do as I want to take in the whole show, I even watch the Female NXT(No idea why); but if the women wrestling in it are fat and ugly I will be changing the channel, and Im sure many others would as well. Then again Im shallow.

But this I know holds true for me. Divas matches are boring and terrible, their only existence in todays wrestling is eye candy. If you take that away from them you might as well get rid of the division all together. Not that I would complain about that.

I was watching a match between OBD (former TNA Knockouts Champion) and Mickie James for WWC, now it got me thinking, with the way WWE is going with PG does a Diva'a Body shape actually matter anymore?
Today we have diva's like Michelle McCool (SD!) and Melina (Raw) who are in a slim shape, however dont get me wrong as a targeter of bigger women, personally they seem more healthy to me, but Mickie James, OBD and Awesome Kong are not the slimmest women in the business.

My question to you is does weight and body shape actually matter in the ever changing world of Pro-Wrestling?

Well, you have to first figure out what people watch women's wrestling for. I bet you can take a consensus for viewers and none watch "divas" matches for the wrestling OR the promos. We watch for sex appeal. Now with that said, you have to cater to what the audience finds sexy. You like bigger women, but you must realise that is a fetish and not the norm. Normal guys desire to have sex with girls who look like the Bella twins or Eve Torres or.... Trish Stratus. Occasionally the WWE signs chicks to fulfill your fetish. Look at Bertha Fey. But in with the PG rating, us guys are still doing the same thing we did pre-PG when we watch a divas match. We picture them naked..

Hahahahahaha....sorry. Yes their body shapes matter. Whether we are in the PG Era or not, no one wants to watch a couple of women uglies wrestle. Their skill in the ring is terrible, even the good ones arent as good as a crap dude. Best anyone can hope for is a wardrobe malfunction, that is more likely to happen than decent wrestling. No offence to the Divas they are very athletic but having breasts makes alot of the moves impossible. In Madico_Fs' defence I think he was more lusting for the Mickie James' of the world, as aposed to the Michelle Cools...I dont think he into female sumo wrestling.....

Oh yeah there bodies matter now i 4 1 loved Mickie James and didnt find her dat fat i honestly thought she was bout da size of a normal woman u would see in everyday life now i'll be honest i would love 2 see the Bellas just start makin out in the middle of da ring but honestly who wouldnt i wouldnt wanna see Awesome Kong or ODB do dat with eachother its just gross now if Vickie wanted 2 wrestle full time i think thats as big as they would go and it wouldnt suprise me if she starts cuz she has been losin alotta weight 4 some reason

In this season of NXT we're seeing some differences in body types of the Diva rookies. Kaitlyn looks like Velvet Sky decided to go to the gym 23 hours straight everyday and Jamie Keyes has some wicked shapely arms that could make Beth Phoenix a little jealous. And for me, I love both of them. But as for very dramatic body types, no. Other than Awesome Kong and Rosie Lottalove in TNA, I haven't really seen any large women come into women's wrestling recently. I can bet even if the erotic pictures of Alouisa never came up, WWE probably would never have a long term project for her. She was probably just put on there for the shock and awe.

For me it doesn't matter that much, unless of course your face reminds me of Bertha Faye (shudders). It doesn't matter what size or shape you're in, as long as you can fight in the ring, all is forgiven.

Hahahahahaha....sorry. Yes their body shapes matter. Whether we are in the PG Era or not, no one wants to watch a couple of women uglies wrestle. Their skill in the ring is terrible, even the good ones arent as good as a crap dude. Best anyone can hope for is a wardrobe malfunction, that is more likely to happen than decent wrestling. No offence to the Divas they are very athletic but having breasts makes alot of the moves impossible. In Madico_Fs' defence I think he was more lusting for the Mickie James' of the world, as aposed to the Michelle Cools...I dont think he into female sumo wrestling.....

Mate, not really into the whole mega woman thing, but normal woman im into, like Mickie James, compared to Michelle McCool...so no fetish

Well, you have to first figure out what people watch women's wrestling for. I bet you can take a consensus for viewers and none watch "divas" matches for the wrestling OR the promos. We watch for sex appeal. Now with that said, you have to cater to what the audience finds sexy. You like bigger women, but you must realise that is a fetish and not the norm. Normal guys desire to have sex with girls who look like the Bella twins or Eve Torres or.... Trish Stratus. Occasionally the WWE signs chicks to fulfill your fetish. Look at Bertha Fey. But in with the PG rating, us guys are still doing the same thing we did pre-PG when we watch a divas match. We picture them naked..

Again Not a Fetish, just merely a beleivable woman, and yeah us guys like eye candy sometimes, however i also do enjoy a good diva's match. Example Lita vs Victoria~Backlash a few years ago.

Well this is an era where men can excel and a unfortunately women can't.

The gal who formerly played Molly Holly said it best, that you will never see a female wrestler be as entertaining as a Rock or Stonecold Steve Austin.

You will see them do some good matches, and cut some good promos here and there. Hopefully help the mid-card out.

But the thing with Women's wrestling, is, that it isn't a huge draw.

Now if you replace the decent looking gals, with something like Janet Reno, you just turned something that was at least something decent to watch, to something I don't want to see.

Yea, Awesome Kong, and Chyna were quite unique and made great television, but that doesn't really make women's wrestling any better. So you this is where wrestling get's tough.

We all can love a good cat fight, but that can only last for so long till it doesn't matter anymore. Plus, I don't watch the WNBA, and a lot of other people don't as well. And it isn't that it isn't good basketball, it's just something isn't as good NBA.

If you watch divas for wrestling then size doesnt matter but WWE is really strong about how a girl looks hence the whole Mickie situation. I personally think if WWE focused more on the Jillians (ok in the ring) and Gail Kims (good in the ring) of the company (nice body not so great face) fans could start liking the tv personality of the diva. My favorite is Aj Lee she's okay in the ring and doesnt ooze of hotness however she is super cute.Yes there is a big difference between cute and hot.

I perosnally don't mind if there is a bigger women werstling aslong as they can wrestle. I enjoyed watching Awesom Kong and ODB because they would wrestle. Most WWE fans don't like it because they have a bad divas divison but if they can wrestle why shouldn't they be hired?

Yes, in this business it dose matter for some reason. I like my skinny ladies just like the rest of the male audience. To be honest with you I would rather watch heavy set female that can wrestle then two skinny girls pillow fighting. Heck I just end up fast fowarding during any and all WWE Divas matches. Unlike back in the day I would watch every minute of the diva division. Now a day its boring.! There's barely any skilled talented divas in the WWE except for a few. Lets face it I believe the 80's, 90's, and early 00's the division was awesome. As a wrestling fan it sucks when their are talented females out there and they don't get picked up because the way they look. I even enjoyed watching TNA Knockout more then the WWE Divas because there was good wrestling matches. Lets see I would watch ODB vs Amazing Kong instead of Eve, Bella Twins, Kelly Kelly, and etc. That's my opinion and like I said I like to watch actual wrestling then two females roll around. I still like old school wrestling with Moolah*, Madusa, and couple of heavy set ladies back then. Enjoyable to watch then what we are seeing now a day.

Yes, sex appeal matter. I could care less.!!

G

Back in the 80s and even in the 90s there were divas that weren't the most attractive (example, Luna Vachon, Bertha Faye) but still had unique characters that could put on a match. I never particularly cared for any of the women's matches, but they still had interesting characters that you could get into.

Nowadays, a diva is hot for only so long until it becomes apparent that they have zero wrestling ability, zero charisma, and zero reason to care about them other than the fact that it makes a great time to grab some snacks and make a bathroom run.

I see the appeal of watching a hot woman on TV, but WWE has a knack for making even the hottest of women lose their appeal.

Of course it doesn't matter, so long as they all look the same. ;)

Seriously- all of the WWE divas have the exact same body profile. Between 5'3" and 6'0" with fake tits and a flat stomach. The lone exception is Vickie Guerrero, who is a Diva by default, and is worse to watch in the ring then that Donald Trump/Rosie O'Donnell abortion. (Wrestling- on the mic she is gold.)

The PG rating doesn't mean dick; the divas are still there to show off tits and ass in the middle of the card. All being PG means is they can't do upskirt shots of Stacy Kiebler anymore. You can still sell sex to 13-year old boys trying to tug off for the first time.

OF course they still matter. Let's not forget that supposedly Kaitlyn was hired only due to her breast implants and athletic body. So even with the potential facts of Kaitlyns hiring, and the looks of all the current divas on the roster, it's obvious that WWE still cares about the body more than enough for it to be noticeable.

Of course, it wouldn't necessarily mean that it matters for the fans. For some it might, because that's all what the divas are worth watching for, but to some it might not matter that much, as long as they get to watch some kind of women's wrestling.

So, it all depends on who you ask, and what part of it all that is in question. WWE? Yes definitely. Fans? Arguable.

Unfortunately, with the WWE, body shape does matter. They have seemed to have forgotten that you can get both sexy AND talented, if they are trained properly. Trish, Ivory, Jazz and Molly were not skinny girls, but all were attractive and extremely talented. You don't have to sacrifice one for the other. Trish transformed herself from an eye candy valet to one of the best in the business. With Mickie, WWE kept calling her fat, but I always dug her build, although I just saw a video of a recent match with her and ODB, and she has definitely let it go. It all depends on what the organization expects out of their female wrestlers. Right now, it makes no sense that WWE has not brought Kong on. She's talented, regardless of her size, but she doesn't have that "look".

Considering all the divas in the WWE today are thin I would say yes it matters...to WWE at least. Not to me though. I would prefer to have women all different shapes and sizes but for some reason I guess WWE doesn't find that appealing anymore.

Isn't it a little obvious, what would you rather watch a great divas match between ODB and Mickie James or a not so good match between Kelly Kelly and Melina? Some might disagree but I'm pretty sure the majority of wrestling fans (male) would much rather watch a Kell Kelly Vs Melina (two beautiful women but not that good in the ring maybe Melina's okay though) than a match between Mickie James and ODB (not so pretty but a good match). WWE wouldn't just hire pretty women without the in ring ability if they thought the fans would much rather watch two average women with the in ring ability.

I would rather watch pretty girls in the ring that can actually entertain and perform. The two are not mutually exclusive of one another. History has shown that you can have both, with proper training and experience. My point is I would rather have that tv time devoted to other storylines versus watching 2 pretty girls in a pillow/lingerie fight. That makes me tune out, which I'm sure WWE doesn't want. If you're going to have these girls on, give them decent storylines, mic time and decent matches to work. No one tunes in to see them, but if you're going to trot them out there, give me a reason to care.

The divas have no personality because they are written that way. There are two types: babyface with nice personality, and heel with self-absorbed/conceited personality. They're all the same aside from looks.

The WWE doesn't want to waste time writing for the divas when they barely have time to get their male talent on camera. Until someone wants to grow some balls and take a risk (i.e. developing characters and booking properly), women will never draw.

So much in wrestling depends on the writing.

If the WWE put some effort into the women's division and tried to book it as serious wrestling like the men, then I would say body type and shape wouldn't make a bit of difference. However, since we get 3 minute matches (at best) gimmick matches, dance contests, etc, body shape does matter. They're basically trotting out their half-time show dancers when the bring the women into the ring. Aside from Laycool, who gets a chance to even speak on a microphone and connect with the crowd?

Meh, women's wrestling could be fun and interesting, but not until it becomes part of the overall product and not just the happy fun time jiggly girl show.

When it comes to the Divas in general, I'd probably have to say yes. Women's wrestling in the WWE is not generally a serious matter. There are definitely women on the roster that are good wrestlers and the Divas do sometimes have good wrestling matches, but they're also definitely still used as eye candy.

I know the WWE is PG but, for some reason, people automatically assume that any and all aspects of sex are somehow banned and that's not the case at all. Look at how many of the Divas dress for their matches. Gail Kim typically wears little more than a pair of pink short shorts and a halter top, Eve Torres wears spandex Daisy Dukes so tight that you can make out her cameltoe if you look hard enough, Kelly Kelly wears what also amounts ot a pair of spandex Daisy Dukes and a bikini top most of the time when she's out, the long tights that Melina & Natalya wear are so tight that it looks like they're painted on. For all intents and purposes, the WWE wants women that just about any heterosexual male viewer would want to have use his face for a seatbelt.

When it comes to women's wrestling in general, it doesn't really matter to me if a gal is packing around a little extra cushion if she knows how to wrestle. But, a perfect example of what not to do would be TNA's ill-fated match between Roxxie and Rosie Lottalove earlier this year. Not only was the match horrible because Rosie couldn't work to save her life, but they had her running around in Beautiful People-esque wrestling gear despite the fact that she's about 300 pounds. The match simply wasn't a pleasant sight to behold and I mean that in just about every way possible.

If you are speaking in a general sense, you'd have to be lying in saying the body shape of a Diva doesn't matter. There are numerous examples out there in the obvious that indicates this:

• Mickie James "weight issues"
  • Driving factors for the signing of Kaitlyn
  • The tagline for the Diva's

Hell, even the word "Diva" implies that body shapes would matter. These girls need to look the part in order to play the role as the role endorses how they look. Full circle statement, there... but back on point, the female wrestlers of the WWE in this day and age have to be somewhere above an 8 on the epic cream scale to get any job. With the demographic that professional wrestling caters for (and most sports for that matter), any women that you involve as an integral part of the show is mainly there for eye candy, as well as providing an entertaining product with their talents.

But you have to remember, there are exceptions to the rule. Body shape and an attractive appearance can be thrown out the window if she is playing the role of a heel or a talent enhancement. I know it sounds sexist, but by taking someone who isn't as beautiful as other people on the roster and giving them a full-fledged heel gimmick, is there any possible way you can cheer for them? Take a look at Jillian and Vickie Guerrero. The characters they portray forces the audience to hate on them, so why should their appearance matter? I haven't heard one cheer for Jillian or Vickie in a while, if ever, since they became heels.

Professional wrestling is a male-dominated business, and the women that want to get their feet wet have to play by the rules set out by the males. If you haven't got the looks, good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back