• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do You Tip?

I do tip so long as i've got change or the card machine has an option for tips, but i've just read Becca's post and i totally agree.

I literally have to think on people's behalf sometimes and bust my ass to ensure that their goods are in working order and where they should be when they should be, and more often than not i get a load of sarcasm and stupid ridiculous demands.

This guy has to walk back and forth with several plates and i'm supposed to fork out more than what the menu lists as the price? Just because they're getting paid barely above the minimum wage? I get barely above minimum wage too. Where are all my fuckin' tips?

Now sometimes i do actually get gifts from customers who've been really happy with my level of service, like a box of choclates or something, but this is usually when i've spent an hour sorting out a massive issue on a customer's behalf. Yet society demands i tip waitresses? For carrying something back and forth for 30 seconds at a time?

From now on i'm going to go all Mr. Pink on their sorry asses and whip out the tiny violin when they hand me a receipt that says 'Service Charge not included'

I tip depending on how good the service was. Maybe not even depending on the food because it's not like the waiter made the food themselves. If it takes forever to get refills or the check and shit then I'm going to tip much less. It's that simple. You do your job well and make it an enjoyable experience for my guest and I then I will return the favor. If you don't come by to ask us how things are or if we need anything, then fuck off. It's up to you to earn my damn money. I have no obligations to you, to make sure you get a fat tip for doing shit work.

I hate the argument of ''but they have hard work to do and make shit money''. Who the fucks fault is that? Not mine. They picked that job. Maybe they were idiots and didn't finish highschool. That's obviously a generalization and not fact, but you get my point. That's the friends I have that wanted to become nurses. They earn their proper licenses and then bitch about thier pay. Why the fuck would I feel bad? You chose that work, you have nobody to blame but yourself. If you wanted the money, be a doctor.

I tip depending on how good the service was. Maybe not even depending on the food because it's not like the waiter made the food themselves. If it takes forever to get refills or the check and shit then I'm going to tip much less. It's that simple. You do your job well and make it an enjoyable experience for my guest and I then I will return the favor. If you don't come by to ask us how things are or if we need anything, then fuck off. It's up to you to earn my damn money. I have no obligations to you, to make sure you get a fat tip for doing shit work.

I hate the argument of ''but they have hard work to do and make shit money''. Who the fucks fault is that? Not mine. They picked that job. Maybe they were idiots and didn't finish highschool. That's obviously a generalization and not fact, but you get my point. That's the friends I have that wanted to become nurses. They earn their proper licenses and then bitch about thier pay. Why the fuck would I feel bad? You chose that work, you have nobody to blame but yourself. If you wanted the money, be a doctor.

I see what you're saying, and for the most part I agree, but not all people choose their profession according to the pay it provides. For example your friends that are nurses, surely some of them have great compassion and empathy for others and that is why they became nurses? Just because they chose that line of work doesn't mean that their occupation isn't generally underpaid.

I always tip. If you think of how shitty their pay is and how a tip is basically built into what they get, I feel bad not tipping at all. Now if its shitty service I'll tip less than 15% which is what I usually tip. As far as delivery I usually tip like a flat rate of $2 cause my order usually around $15 and there is already a delivery charge.

I don't tip people. So they get a bad pay rate, so did I when I worked in a shop, but do any of you tip the people who serve you in stores? I'm willing to bet you don't. It's not my fault they're paid badly, and as a result I'm not going to take responsibility for it. Plus, I'm a student, I don't HAVE the money to give to other people. Maybe if I'm rich one day.

I'm sure when you worked in a shop and the people in the stores make more than min. wage though. A lot of servers make like only a few dollars an hour and its based on tips. I'm a student too, but if you don't have the money to tip at least some don't go out to a nicer place to eat.

As somebody who has worked in the food industry, I say it really depends on the customer service. There has been ONE time I did not leave a tip, but I'll tip anywhere from 2 to 15 bucks depending on the service we get. The interaction between the guys at the beginning of "Reservoir Dogs" pretty much sums it up, I'd say. Listen to Steve Buschemi's character. What he says makes perfect sense...

I tip based on how friendly the server is,and living in Houston,where the vast majority of people are friendly anyway,I can safely say I tip 95% of the time.My best friend never tips,except for just a while ago she tipped a guy because he had to use a ladder to get her balloons that had floated to the ceiling.Some people do,some people don't.I don't think it makes you a dick if you don't,and you should never tip because it's the popular thing to do.

I'm sure when you worked in a shop and the people in the stores make more than min. wage though. A lot of servers make like only a few dollars an hour and its based on tips. I'm a student too, but if you don't have the money to tip at least some don't go out to a nicer place to eat.

Most shops only give you minimum wage, or a pound over it. Besides, what's the cut off for allowing a tip? Do you check with your server on how much they earn? I'm sure in really nice restaurants the waiters get more than minimum wage, but people still tip there.

And :lmao: Don't tell me I shouldn't go to somewhere nice to have a meal just because I'm not going to conform to societies expectations of who I should give my money to!

Like some who have posted here I don’t like how society has ingrained it into our minds that we must tip. If I go to a nice restaurant the owner should be happy that I’m there in the first place. I’m already there paying my money at your restaurant; why should I also have to pay your staff? It doesn’t make a lot of sense. I don’t care for the places that take it upon themselves to include the tip on the bill. That really makes me angry. I also don’t understand tipping a delivery guy. It’s not something I mind doing, but don’t charge me a delivery fee if I’m expected to tip too. Why is it customary to tip certain occupations but not others? When I was younger I didn’t know people tipped the barber. Many times I stiffed those guys. Not on purpose; I just didn’t know. I’ve never actually taken a cab, but if I did I wouldn’t have tipped because I didn’t know that people tip a cab driver until I read this thread. Why do I tip the waitress who brings me my food and the guy who cuts my hair but not the guy at Best Buy who answered all my questions and helped me pick out my laptop? Who decided all this?

With all that said, I do tip. It’s not that I don’t believe in tipping. I just wonder how it came about that it was assumed that everyone should tip and you’re a jerk if you don’t. I guess you could say I’m giving in to society. I don’t really think of it that way. If I leave a restaurant without leaving a tip the waitress doesn’t know I’m taking some sort of stand against society. All she knows is she just got stiffed and is wondering why. Since it is so customary to tip I don’t want a waiter or waitress thinking I was not satisfied with them. I think I’m a decent tipper. I try to make it easy for the waitress. I try to set the tone by being friendly and funny in a corny way. If she recognizes that and keeps up she’ll get a decent tip. Some of those places that take it upon themselves to include the tip in the bill often screw their staff. Many times I would have left more, but since they felt it necessary to decide for me I just left it as it was. Believe it or not I actually enjoy tipping. It’s a nice way to show that I appreciate the service and sometimes a good tip can help make someone’s day a little better. I just don’t like how it’s assumed that I have to.

There was one time where I didn’t tip at all. It was right after WrestleMania X7. I just left the Astrodome in Houston with three friends and we stopped at Dennys after the show. We were seated and forgotten about. While sitting there I saw another group come in, be seated, get drinks, order, eat, pay, and leave before we were even given drinks. One of my friends wanted to leave at least a dollar, but I refused. We would have just left, but we’re not from Houston. We were only in town for mania and didn’t know our way around. Places like Dennys were going to be the only thing open and we did not know where there was another.

Actually I can think of one more time. I went to the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony in 2006. While driving to the building the traffic cops forced me into the main parking lot that was valet only and cost $20 to park. I would have been perfectly content parking somewhere else and walking a few blocks to the building. Since I unexpectedly had to pay for parking I did not tip the valet. I would have rather gotten the car myself.

Sorry for rambling on so much. I guess it all comes down to I don’t mind tipping, but don’t like how it’s assumed I have to. I don’t understand why certain people get tipped and others don’t. I don’t like tipping for something I could have done myself if allowed. It’s my first cigar lounge post so sorry if I went on too long.

Most shops only give you minimum wage, or a pound over it. Besides, what's the cut off for allowing a tip? Do you check with your server on how much they earn? I'm sure in really nice restaurants the waiters get more than minimum wage, but people still tip there.

Actually, Becca (Good to see you are still around, btw :p ) I don't believe there is a single restaurant out there that pays its wait staff more than minimum wage... That is a group of people that rely on tips to survive. For example, I have 3 Cousins that live here in Sedona, Arizona. It's a tourist town, upscale, if you will... They worked in my uncles restaurant on Friday nights, All Day Saturday, and All day Sunday. They made, each, between 700.00-900.00 in tips in those 3 days. They put themselves through college on it. It's just become common courtesy to tip the people that are doing what you decided not to do that night like make and serve dinner. You don't have to get up to get your drinks, refill your bread or chip basket, etc... Also take into consideration that they do this for hundreds of people a week, with attitudes varying from mellow and laid back to bitchy and unsociable... These people are simply asking to be paid a small gratuity for doing something for you that needs to be done, that you don't want to do yourself. A bellhop at a hotel expects a tip for lugging you suitcases to your room...you don't wanna do it? If you did it, you wouldn't have to pay somebody else, right? Someone mentioned a delivery fee for a delivery guy? He's out driving around in his car, taking you your food, putting miles on his car, so you don't have to. What's wrong with showing some gratitude? (Can you tell I've had these jobs before?) Look at it this way... You pay taxes on your wages. You make at least minimum wage... They don't. They get taxed on their wages just as you do... The difference has to come from somewhere! One last thing... If you know you're going to go somewhere that it's expected that you tip, don't complain about it! If you don't wanna tip the lady that brought you your ribeye steak, mashed potatoes, and vegetable plate, stay home and cook it yourself!

Simply put, if you don't tip, don't expect good service. Waiters always remember good tippers and shitty tippers, and when one or the other walks into a restaurant, word spreads quickly. I am promise you that if you don't tip, the best advice I can give you is to not return to that restaurant.

Waiters in Texas make $2.13 hourly, and that's it. I have always looked at tipping as part of the cost of doing business. I tip, and if I get good service, I tip very well. I don't think I could get up and leave without tipping.

I see what you're saying, and for the most part I agree, but not all people choose their profession according to the pay it provides. For example your friends that are nurses, surely some of them have great compassion and empathy for others and that is why they became nurses? Just because they chose that line of work doesn't mean that their occupation isn't generally underpaid.

I'm definitely not saying that they chose those particular occupations for the pay. It was because, like you said, they have a sense of compassion for others that influences them to try and help where they can. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. What bothers me though is when they know full well going into what the pay is going to be but bitch about it anyway. I'm not saying that those in the nursing field shouldn't make more on average than they do, only that they are aware of the pay before hand. From what I have heard and understand, nursing isn't an easy job in the least. I have complete respect for those who choose that work. They should know what they're getting into before they commit though.

[quote="The Living Legend" Johnny Gunnz;2047322]Actually, Becca (Good to see you are still around, btw :p ) I don't believe there is a single restaurant out there that pays its wait staff more than minimum wage... That is a group of people that rely on tips to survive. For example, I have 3 Cousins that live here in Sedona, Arizona. It's a tourist town, upscale, if you will... They worked in my uncles restaurant on Friday nights, All Day Saturday, and All day Sunday. They made, each, between 700.00-900.00 in tips in those 3 days. They put themselves through college on it. It's just become common courtesy to tip the people that are doing what you decided not to do that night like make and serve dinner. You don't have to get up to get your drinks, refill your bread or chip basket, etc... Also take into consideration that they do this for hundreds of people a week, with attitudes varying from mellow and laid back to bitchy and unsociable... These people are simply asking to be paid a small gratuity for doing something for you that needs to be done, that you don't want to do yourself. A bellhop at a hotel expects a tip for lugging you suitcases to your room...you don't wanna do it? If you did it, you wouldn't have to pay somebody else, right? Someone mentioned a delivery fee for a delivery guy? He's out driving around in his car, taking you your food, putting miles on his car, so you don't have to. What's wrong with showing some gratitude? (Can you tell I've had these jobs before?) Look at it this way... You pay taxes on your wages. You make at least minimum wage... They don't. They get taxed on their wages just as you do... The difference has to come from somewhere! One last thing... If you know you're going to go somewhere that it's expected that you tip, don't complain about it! If you don't wanna tip the lady that brought you your ribeye steak, mashed potatoes, and vegetable plate, stay home and cook it yourself![/quote]

Not a chance. I may want to go out and have someone else cook for me. I'm paying for that food, I'm paying for the right to eat in that restaurant. And, in turn, the restaurant is paying their staff to serve me. That's like saying when someone serves you in a shop you should tip THAT person for putting your items through the cash register as well as you paying for the goods, yet that doesn't cross your mind.

I've worked in shops where my job description was basically to put items through the till, and take/give your your money yet I still helped people with things like make-up/skincare routines, or making coffee from the machine. Low paid, depressingly dull jobs, that, regardless of how much help I am, I don't get anything more than my wage. Today, my first day in a big store, a little boy couldn't find his grandma, and I had to stay with him, calm him down, and put a call out for the woman while keeping him entertained. Did I get anything for doing that, which isn't in my job description? Of course not. Why should I tip someone for carrying a plate to my table if you don't tip me for making sure your grandson was ok? Why didn't you tip me for helping you choose the right make-up for your skin care? Why didn't you tip me for looking after your child for 10 hours?

Waitresses usually make 2-3 dollars an hour. They rely heavily on tips. BUT you should tip them according to how they act and how they do their job. If they don't treat you right, take their time doing their job, or just plain suck then don't tip them. Usually, if I'm not happy with their service, I'll leave a penny or a breath mint ::lmao::

I've worked in shops where my job description was basically to put items through the till, and take/give your your money yet I still helped people with things like make-up/skincare routines, or making coffee from the machine. Low paid, depressingly dull jobs, that, regardless of how much help I am, I don't get anything more than my wage. Today, my first day in a big store, a little boy couldn't find his grandma, and I had to stay with him, calm him down, and put a call out for the woman while keeping him entertained. Did I get anything for doing that, which isn't in my job description? Of course not. Why should I tip someone for carrying a plate to my table if you don't tip me for making sure your grandson was ok? Why didn't you tip me for helping you choose the right make-up for your skin care? Why didn't you tip me for looking after your child for 10 hours?

Because we know these people rely on our tips to get by... Simply put: If it isn't in your job description, don't do it. You go to a restaurant knowing that they make shit for hourly pay, so they (usually) will try and give you the best service possible. What you leave them is usually a way of grading the service they provided. In all honesty, my suggestion would be if you are going to go to a restaurant with the intent of not tipping, you're best not going. Servers remember that stuff, the people who tip, and the ones who don't, so eventually your service will get worse. They will treat you according to how you treat them... Going off of your logic, it seems only fair, right? A cashier working in a department store knows that it isn't in their job description to get tipped. Wal Mart, for example, will fire you on the spot if you accept a gratuity of any kind. A waiter/waitress knows they are getting into an industry where the likelihood of high wages from tips is great. Not always, but for the most part. There's a huge difference

I always tip unless they give me a reason not to. I view tipping as an act of kindness you can do for someone to make their day better. Since you don't HAVE to, it's a nice thing you can do. There's a saying that goes a little something like this "treat others the way you would want to be treated". Therefore, I do nice things for people because I would want them to do the same for me. The world needs more acts of kindness, and by tipping someone then it's making a small difference in someone else's life.

What I often do is give a 20% tip or so if they did a good job, and add a dollar or two extra if they did a great job. If they did a bad job, I'll still give a tip of 10% or less. Even if someone didn't do that great of a job, you can still perform an act of kindness. However, if they are very rude to me AND do a terrible job, then I might consider not tipping. I once had a waitress who was really rude, forgot all of our orders, and then ignored us, she ended up getting a tip consisting of a penny. I felt that $0.01 would feel more insulting than no tip, since it's basically nothing.

So, like I said.... I always tip unless they give me a reason not to, because it's just a nice thing you can do for someone to make their day better, even though you don't have to.

No, I don't tip at all.

In Australia, it's just not one of the things we're 'supposed' to do. Usually at cafes and restuarants they have a small jar which you can put small change in if you feel like it but the waiters do not expect tips as their weekly pay does not consist of tips, they have a set wage which is what they get.

The waiters shouldn't be tipped anyway, they just bring the food out. If anyone should be tipped, it should be the cooks. Anyone can carry out plates and drinks but not everyone is a great cook.

[quote="The Living Legend" Johnny Gunnz;2050964]Because we know these people rely on our tips to get by... Simply put: If it isn't in your job description, don't do it. You go to a restaurant knowing that they make shit for hourly pay, so they (usually) will try and give you the best service possible. What you leave them is usually a way of grading the service they provided. In all honesty, my suggestion would be if you are going to go to a restaurant with the intent of not tipping, you're best not going. Servers remember that stuff, the people who tip, and the ones who don't, so eventually your service will get worse. They will treat you according to how you treat them... Going off of your logic, it seems only fair, right?[/QUOTE]

If I get bad service somewhere I'm not going to go again, and I'm going to tell everyone I know to stay away as well. I doubt the restaurant is going to be happy with that. Or I'll write a letter of complaint to the restaurant and they'll lose their jobs :). 'How I treat them' should have nothing to do with how much I tip, it should be about how polite I am to them, if I'm polite, they should be the same back.

A cashier working in a department store knows that it isn't in their job description to get tipped. Wal Mart, for example, will fire you on the spot if you accept a gratuity of any kind. A waiter/waitress knows they are getting into an industry where the likelihood of high wages from tips is great. Not always, but for the most part. There's a huge difference

I know this is how it is, I'm asking WHY that is? I do as much work as those waitresses for shitty pay. Who makes sure the items you need are out in the store? Who will then go to the storeroom to look for the item if you ask? Who will walk around the whole store finding things for you? Who then serves you and makes sure items are packed neatly in your bag? Who deals with your shitty complaints and is actually polite about it even though I had nothing to do with it? What's the difference in that and taking my order, then carrying it to me? Why do waitresses get tipped for doing a job with low pay but I don't? Just because society one day decided on a list of professions we have to tip? At the end of the day, I go to a restaurant for a nice meal. I go to a shop for nice clothes. I'm paying for those items, and, in turn, they should pay their staff.

If I get bad service somewhere I'm not going to go again, and I'm going to tell everyone I know to stay away as well. I doubt the restaurant is going to be happy with that. Or I'll write a letter of complaint to the restaurant and they'll lose their jobs :). 'How I treat them' should have nothing to do with how much I tip, it should be about how polite I am to them, if I'm polite, they should be the same back.

Naturally... But what I meant was, there are some people that treat wait staff like dog shit, for no apparent reason... If you've ever seen the movie "Waiting", watch what they do to the bitch customer's food... Ryan Reynolds' character said some very important words... "Don't FUCK with the people that handle your food." What I meant was, not tipping even if you got good service would be remembered by the person who waited on you. So, the next time you came back, you'd probably get lackluster service.

I know this is how it is, I'm asking WHY that is? I do as much work as those waitresses for shitty pay. Who makes sure the items you need are out in the store? Who will then go to the storeroom to look for the item if you ask? Who will walk around the whole store finding things for you? Who then serves you and makes sure items are packed neatly in your bag? Who deals with your shitty complaints and is actually polite about it even though I had nothing to do with it? What's the difference in that and taking my order, then carrying it to me? Why do waitresses get tipped for doing a job with low pay but I don't? Just because society one day decided on a list of professions we have to tip? At the end of the day, I go to a restaurant for a nice meal. I go to a shop for nice clothes. I'm paying for those items, and, in turn, they should pay their staff.

But you knew the nature of the business when you applied, when you shopped there before you worked there, and that it was a "Non Gratuity" occupation altogether. If waiters made minimum wage or more, they'd be sorely overpaid. Look at it this way... They make 3 Dollars an hour... They work 8 hours a day, 4 days a week. Their tips make up the difference. If they make 10 dollars an hour in tips, that comes to about 13 dollars an hour. They're on their feet for 7 1/2 of those hours, dealing with a multitude of attitude/demands, I'd say they deserve it. Nowadays, they are forced to claim their tips, so they even get taxed on those now. It wasn't like that years ago. I'd say it's a fair exchange for a couple of hours of somebody doing what I just didn't feel like doing that day... As far as why some jobs are tip worthy and some are not?...I lay blame on society...

*EDIT* You actually pose a very good question, that even I cannot even begin to answer... Maybe one day we'll know the answer and we can shun the waiter for being a mediocre host with high expectations! :)

[QUOTE="The Living Legend" Johnny Gunnz]Ryan Reynolds' character said some very important words... "Don't FUCK with the people that handle your food." What I meant was, not tipping even if you got good service would be remembered by the person who waited on you. So, the next time you came back, you'd probably get lackluster service.[/QUOTE]

This is kind of what FTS was saying earlier, but i'd say, if the servie wasn't decent enough to make you leave a tip, why would you go back? Frankie & Benny's is a highly viewed restaraunt chain here in the UK, and i know a lot of people who frequently go to the one in my home town and have nothing but praise for the place.

I went there with my gf after a seeing The Dark Knight, and not only did it take 20 minutes simply to get our drinks when it wasn't busy, people who came in after us managed to finish 2 courses while we were waiting for our first, and when i asked what was taking so long, i was told:

"Sorry, your drinks took so long because the waitress smashed a glass."

So? It takes 20 minutes to sweep away glass and pour another drink?

I'd ordered a Chicken Burger and fries and my gf had a salad and like i said that took ages, their excuse this time was:

"Sorry, the head chef is away today"

Did they seriously needed the Head Chef to cook a chicken salad and a chiken burger and fries? The fries weren't even warm when i got them.

At no point did i get angry with them or treat them badly, i didn't even raise my voice, i simply asked for an explanation, and the service got worse as the meal went on. Sufficed to say, i haven't set foot in there since.

Ask Pizza in my home town gave us similar service and again, i haven't been there since. I'd go to the one in the town where i work, but i'm not going back to my local.

So yeah, ok, you might purposely fuck with cheapskates. Terrible, unprofessional attitude. There's clearly something wrong about how you do your job and you aren't rewarded, so their response is to actually be even worse at their jobs? Clever. I can see why they're waitressing.

I rarely tip because the food is pretty expensive and when i go for dinner i get a 3 course meal with my girlfriend so sometimes its out of not being able to afford it, others its about not being willing too because its expensive anyway.
I only tip if i get REALLY great service. Sometimes i think its what you're paid to do, plus its common courtesy to be nice/polite to people.
I understand that its hard for them though because often they get the minimum wage and the rest is supplemented by tips.

I have a few criteria for the amount I tip. First is the "lemon test". I like lemon in my coke, fail to give me my lemon so I have to ask for it again or not give me a new lemon with a refill your tip went from 20% to 15%. Let my drink sit empty for over a couple minutes 20% down to 15%. 5 minutes, no drink - 10%. Nothing I hate more than to have to stop eating because I have nothing to wash my food down with. Sit in my booth or kneel at my table to take the order is an automatic 10%, I dont care if the rest of the service is outstanting, I can't stand this. Have a good attitude and personality, entertaain me a little without intruding, pass the lemon & refill test = 25-35%.

Ric-Flair.jpg

In some restaurants gratuity is added, especially if you are with a large group of people. The big difference between a worker at Wal-Mart, a fast food server, and a waitress is that fast food servers and Wal Mart workers receive minimum wage or more. Waiters and Waitresses only earn tips and maybe 2 to 3 dollars an hour. You could say well its not my fault they have shitty jobs. Unless you are in a position where you never worked a shitty job in your life then you could say that. If you have money and are comfortable then I guess you could look down at people in that position.

I have been in that position working for little money, I never though I deserved anything extra for being a cashier and working other departments at Wal Mart as a teenager. People don't have to tip a waiter if they aren't giving them good service, or they have an attitude. I just think if the waiter/waitress is nice and is doing a good job at serving then why not give a few dollars?

I could understand if someone is low one money, but if you have enough money to go out to eat at a restaurant then you should have enough money to tip your waitress or bartender a few dollars. It's just common courtesy.

Yes, I tip. The only time I won't tip is if the service is particularly bad. Nine tiems out of ten you'll get service that is neither great nor terrible, so usually bad service doesn't happen.

I always tip at sit-down restaurants, barbershops and to delivery guys.

I usually tip places with tip jars

At sit down restaurants it is common courtesy to tip. They don't get paid that well because their pay is determined based on how many tables to wait and the amount of food they bring out. Its sort of like commision. If you are getting a meal and want it brought out to you, you pay the extra money. If you don't want to pay it do not go to that restaurant. I skimmed througha few posts here and a couple stood out. One by I believe HBK-holic saying something like "don't tell me not to have a nice meal if I don't want to tip!". Actually, yes I am going to tell that to you. It's incredibly disrespectful. You're essentially telling the waiter "Fuck off, I don't care that you went out of your way to help me." I hope they spit in your food next time you do that =/

Delivery guys should ALWAYS be tipped. One guy here said that "Well they just come in drop it off and then leave so I'm not doing it". Well if its not that big of a deal, get off your ass and go pick it up yourself. If you want someone to go out of their way and deliver it to you, you tip them. Its an extra service. It doesn't matter if it isn't difficult, the fact is that it takes time -- and time is money.

Tip jars are a bit different. To whoever said that they get irked by them is just a surly dude. Tip jars, unlike restaurants or delivery guys are not expecting to get anything. It's just a "Hey it'd be nice if you gave us some extra cash but you don't have to." I usually throw in a dollar or two if I'm going to Subway or a pizza place just because I used to work at a place like that and that tip money helps. Certainly not obligatory though.

I respect you less if you don't tip, granted that its at least satisfactory service. Seriously, its not that much extra money and if you honestly can't pay the extra three or so dollars in tip then you need to find a cheaper alternative. Very disrespectful to not tip. I used to deliver pizzas and I knew that some people didn't tip at all, so I'd go out of my way to make sure their pizzas sucked and I'd take longer. I even flat out told one person to stop calling in for deliveries because they were so obnoxious about not tipping. Why should I give someone good service who is disrespectful?

Not really, the quality of my character is not tied up in whether or not I tip my waitress, and to say so is just silly.

Actually, I'm going to disagree with you.

In fact, I was reading one of my HR books the other day (yes, I read up on HR. Shut up. Seriously, fuck off and stop laughing...) and I read about a new interview style where a high ranking VP will take a group of potential candidates for a promotion or a high level position out to lunch or dinner. The VP - the guy who is buying the mean - sets the tone by being a little less than nice to the waiter or waitress. From there, it's up to the interviewees to order and interact.

The VP will watch their ordering habits and communication style, but above all else, he will watch how they treat the member of the waitstaff.

Here's the kicker - the member of the waitstaff is a plant. Yes, they actually work there, but they're earning an extra tip from the VP to "play along."

Something will get screwed up on somebody's order, and the VP will again see how the candidate handles it.

It's a very accurate indicator of how those people, if promoted, will treat their subordinates and colleagues, as well as if they are individuals or just take the lead from what the VP does.

So many people - some of whom make more money than you or I do - feel very strongly that how you treat / tip a member of a waitstaff is an indicator of your character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back