Do You Think Heels Should Win Clean More Often?

If we're talking about top main eventers then hell no. A guy like Del Rio shouldn't beat someone like Cena cleanly. At least not at this point of his career. Let's face it if a heel beats a top face cleanly it would just let the fans down and kinda ruin the face's credibility. Heels are supposed to be guys who would do anything to get a cheap win. It's just a fact in Pro Wrestling. Heels do get clean wins over babyfaces who have a lower position that they do though.

Do heels beat faces cleanly in today's WWE? Of course. Del Rio beat Rey Mysterio cleanly for the WWE title in a main event and took him out thus putting over Del Rio more. So for someone like Mysterio putting over Del Rio is a good thing because he's not exactly a top dog but he has done everything he ever wanted in the company and having a hard fought lost against Del Rio wouldn't hurt his credibility at all. John Morrison has been jobbing out as of late. And the "Evan Bourne's" are commonly used as punching bags for heels. But if we're talking about something like Cena jobbing to Del Rio then hell no.

This is not true. It's true that heels cheat more often in the match, but they don't always cheat to win. Sheamus, Kane, Mark Henry, Undertaker, Jericho, HBK, HHH, Jake the Snake plenty of heels won clean for the majority of their careers. And that's just off top of my head.

Again, not true. There are many reasons to boo a heel, not just cheating to win. If that were true then all it would take to get over with the fans as a heel would be to cheat and we all know that isn't the case. Same as simply winning clean does not get you over as a face. Villains should be deeply layered, scorns of society, so different from what is considered the "norm" that you cannot help but boo them, whether is be the things they say, the way they look, or for the things they believe. Not just because they grab the tights.

Just for the record, I said cheating gives the fans an added reason to boo the heels, nowhere did I say that it's the only reason to boo them. If a heel has no heat garnering tactics other than cheating he's gonna be a shitty wrestler So, in that respect, you are 100% correct.

As for your list of heels that win clean for the majority of their career you popped off several wrestlers that were given the titles "Monster Heels". Heels that dominate. Non-monsters have to win clean some of the time to build their credibility. But nearly always those wins are outside of the feud that they are currently in. An example of that would be ADR's squash match against Jo-Mo.

I honestly have no earthly idea where this philosophy about heels not cheating comes from. It completely flies in the face of one of one of the most basic principles of pro wrestling: good vs. bad. A heel is SUPPOSED TO CHEAT!!!!!! A heel is supposed to be a guy that gets ahead by resorting to dishonorable tactics in order to get ahead, thereby earning the dislike of fans.

As a society, we've always been taught that good triumphs in the end and that cheaters never prosper. Is it true? Absolutely not but, then again, wrestling is a form of fictionalized entertainment where such creeds still ring true and have rang true from the earliest days of television to stories told by wandering bards in centuries past. People always need someone to cheer for and someone to rage against. Now, every so often, it's good to change up that formula a little with a wrestler who straddles the line between good and bad. It gives that wrestler an edge that makes him stand out. The problem, however, is that you'll have fans that come up with the idea that all wrestlers should be like that.

There's nothing wrong with heels getting an occassional win cleanly and it does happen in WWE, but the idea that heels need to or are supposed to win cleanly most of the time is absolute nonsense except in rare cases like monster heels. Look at Mark Henry, for instance. He's won all of his matches cleanly over the course of the past 4 months because he's a monster. He's a 400 pound strongman that can literally boast to being one of the physically strongest human beings on the planet. He's someone that's believable as a badass. He's someone that you could believe could tear someone apart. Do you think The Miz could go in the ring with someone like Big Show, take him on head to head in a 15 minute match and beat him clean right in the middle of the ring? The Miz? All 6'0' 210 pounds vs. the 7'0' 420 pound Big Show?

I don't know if this mentality is brought upon by smarks who have played too many video games or watched too much MMA or what, but it's foolishness. I could sit here and list the wrestling greats who, as heels, have cheated to win their matches because it's what heels do, but my post would be even longer than it already is and I'd probably be here half the night listing them. So I'll just say one name: Ric Flair.

Im not saying heels need to win clean all the time (I keep having to say this) I am saying they should have people like the The Miz win clean more often then he does. I mean The Miz has the ability to put on a great match and if you had him beat Cena, Punk, etc... A face that has crediablity clean once then have him go on to talk about how he is the best he could be a great heel that doesn't lose any heat. I know that Heels have to cheat alot but I just think it would be better for the good wrestling heels to not have to cheat every single time they face a top face.

No. I think heels should rarely win clean over faces who are on their level. Sure they can beat up the jobbers, but a heel winning clean isn't very heelish. Unless he's a monster who's destroying everyone, I think a heel should be a cheater by nature.

I'll give a few quick examples of heels who would have benefited from a clean win over a face.

Wade Barrett
Was involved in a feud with John Cena for the better part of 2010. If Wade Barrett at any point during that feud would have scored a clean pin fall or submission victory over John Cena the stock in Barrett would have risen so much higher. He could have been pushed as a bigger heel and real threat.

Instead we have Wade Barrett, ex leader of the Nexus, ex leader of the Corre, current middle carder

Sheamus
Heel Sheamus was also in a feud with John Cena. Sheamus broke into the WWE like wild Fire, smashing ECW like it was nothing then being pushed onto Raw as a heel continually crushing others. Sheamus won the WWE title on a fluke from Cene during a Tables Match, losing the title within two months. Sheamus went on to WM26 to face Triple H in which Sheamus lost to Triple H. Rather than Triple H doing the right thing and laying down for Sheamus, Sheamus had to attack Triple H with a pipe. Sheamus would have benefited from beating either Triple H or Cena Cleanly to help get him over.

At this point it doesn't matter because Sheamus is one of the most over faces in the company.

Mark Henry
Dominated several big stars in the Big Show and Kane, then he went on to squash some other not so big stars like Morrison, and Christian. Henry became #1 contender, and went on to beat Randy Orton cleanly for the title, then beat him cleanly again to retain the title. Credibility x2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back