• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do You Hate The Good Teams?

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
Earlier today I was having a conversation with one of my co-workers, and we sort of got into an argument about "the good teams". Now there are plenty of fans who will continue to support and root for their team no matter how bad they are. They are loyal, and will stick with their team through the bad times. On the other hand, there are fans of teams who always stay on top or they are consistently contenders in their sport. They win all the championships, and usually dominate their sport. Examples of "the good teams" are the Lakers, New York Yankees, New England Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers, and I don't know too much about the NHL, but I'm guessing the Detroit Red Wings are the dominant team of that sport? If I'm wrong, then please correct me on this.

If you are a fan of teams who aren't as successful as the "good teams", then I have a couple of questions for you:

Do you hate the good teams?

Does their constant success bother you?

When I was younger, I use to hate the Yankees, because besides our World Series wins in 1997 and 2003, the Florida Marlins have never been consistently good, and there are some years where we just plain sucked. I was jealous. I couldn't stand the Yankees because they always won, and they were always the best team in baseball, but over time, I guess I grew out of the hatred or dislike I had for all of the good teams. I realized I shouldn't be so serious about hating the Yankees, Patriots, or the Detroit Pistons(2004-2006).

Now for the second part of this thread. If you are a fan of the good teams, I also have some questions for you:

What do you think of the jealousy from the fans of other teams that are not as good as your teams?

Do you consider their jealousy to be petty and childish?

Some fans of the good teams are pretty cool. I know some people who are Yankees' fans, Patriots' fans, and Lakers' fans, and they can be pretty cool. Then again, there some fans of the good teams who can be dicks. They will constantly rip on your team, and try to make you feel ashamed of being a fan of your team.

On a side note, I'm not just talking about teams from MLB ,NHL ,NBA ,NFL , or College sports, you can include any team from any sport in this thread.

I am a Cubs fan so no one knows sports suffering like I do. I don’t hate the good teams, but I do root against them more often than not. I don’t root against them out of spite or dislike, but just to freshen things up. Take the Yankees for example. Going into the 2001 postseason they had been to and won four World Series out of the last five years. In 2001 the Mariners had a historically good season. They had the best record in baseball and had never been to a World Series. I was rooting for them because not only had I grown tired of seeing the Yankees every October, but I wanted to see Seattle lose their World Series virginity. I don’t follow the NBA that closely, but same goes for the Lakers. The Suns seem to always have a great season then come up short in the playoffs. Rather than seeing the Lakers in the finals again I’d like to see Phoenix get there just for something different.

Do you hate the good teams?

Not at all, I don't usually hate on any teams, because they're just doing their jobs, I usually do get a little fan like and hate on them, but for the sake of being a fan, because they're playing against my favorite team, and that's the only time I "hate" on any teams, good or bad.

Does their constant success bother you?

Not at all, they've accomplished things because they're doing good, they have good players, every team can accomplish that with the right combination of training and great players.

What do you think of the jealousy from the fans of other teams that are not as good as your teams?

I'm not really against it, it's all a part of being a fan, and wanting your favorite team to be doing good, and due to that loyalty, jealousy should be allowed, as long as it doesn't get to a point where it's more ridiculous than it is competitive based.

Do you consider their jealousy to be petty and childish?

As I stated above, as long as it stays in a competitive manner, without proceeding to a ridiculous matter of ruining the game and starting fights over it, I don't find it petty and childish, but just being a loyal fan.

I'm torn between this topic because yes, I do hate several of the good teams ie:Yankees and Lakers but I cheer for several of them as well ie: Patriots and Red Wings.

I have always hated the Yankees because yes, they do win all the time but besides that, they consistently kept my Seattle Mariners from reaching the WS back in 2000 and 2001. We won 116 freaking games in 2001. We tied the all time record with the 1906 Cubs but when we reached the ALCS, we lost to the damn Yankees 4 games to 1.

Yes, for the most part. Definetly always root against the Lakers, Yankees, Duke, Penn State and USC in football, the Pats and so on and so forth. Not sure if I hate those teams, but definetly always go for the underdogs. That's one of the biggest parts of sports, picking and side and being passionate about it. If it isn't one of my hometown teams, I'm usually looking for someone to root against. I will root for some better teams and players though (Celtics, LeBron, Tiger, etc)

I'm also a Steeler fan, so there's a lot of hate for Pittsburgh, being the greatest NFL organization of all time. Whenever people are hating on the Steelers, or even the Pens for that matter, I'm almost confused. You just don't get any of that in Pittsburgh. It doesn't bother me or put me into a rage or anything like that, just a strange phenomenon.

No, I love the good teams, hell my team is second in World Series titles. Honestly I think it's dumb to hate a team because they win alot, too bad. So the reason to hate a team is because they always put together a contender? Sure the Yankees spend alot to put that team on the field but can you honestly say that you wouldn't want your team to spend the cash if they had it? I can see the frustration with some fans about dynasty type teams but we all know you just wish your team was that good. I just don't see how people can hate a team that plays their respective game better than the rest, it's like saying you don't want to see a game played with skill.

I don't hate ALL of the good teams, but i dont like it when they get too much success and think that they are too good to lose. Being an Englishman, i'm a huge football (Soccer) fan so a lot of the good teams bought success because they were bankrolled, so i dont like those good teams because they only became good due to being bankrolled, not due to effort/ability.

I just hate bandwagoners. I think 90% of the people who say they are Yankees, Lakers, Celtics, Patriots, Steelers, Cavaliers, Canadiens, Cubs, Red Sox, etc. are prime examples of bandwagoners. Most like those teams because of one player or their rich history... nothing else.

Personally... I don't hate the 'good teams', I just don't particularly like those who claim they like those teams. One player or a huge number of championships do not determine whether I like a team or not. People that do that are not truely familiar with the team, the players, or their history. They just hear about it, not truely knowing about it.

If my teams (Rockets, Mavericks, Sixers, Flyers, Ducks, Stars, Phillies, Ravens...) were always winning every year, I wouldn't like it. You need your teams to struggle and lose sometimes, overcome adversity. When that happens, it tests your true love for the team. That way... if and when they finally do win a championship, IT'LL MEAN THAT MUCH MORE!!

Now, for the teams that I don't like (Pistons, Hornets, Indians, Canadiens, Devis)... I have my own personal reasons. So their success really couldn't really mean less to me.

So, I do not have 'good teams'... I just am not fond of the 'good team's' so called "fans".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back