• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dixie Carter on "The Ross Report"

Chrome

Getting Noticed By Management
TNA president Dixie Carter was on Jim Ross' podcast "The Ross Report". This got released on January 6, 2015 here: http://podcastone.com/The-Ross-Report

Ross introduced Carter as a "very nice woman that's making it in a man's world".

Carter said she wanted to find the right place. They needed more hours, more eyeballs, more promotion and when she said that to Destination America and they said they wouldn't be interested if they didn't have that relationship. Destination talked globally; they are the biggest paid TV provider in the world. They talked cross promoting all platforms, and promoting TNA on a different level.

Ross said it's going to be difficult to get people watching Destination because he didn't know many shows on there. Carter said she talked to the guys as much as she could throughout the negotiations but she couldn't really say much during confidential negotiations.

Even if it looks like they're taking a step back based on the number of homes that have Destination America and that it may be a challenge for people to find the channel, they will be taking a step forward in the potential.

Ross isn't considering it a step back because they are preparing to launch themselves many many steps down the road. Ross said people will talk about the TV shows if they're good. Simple deal. Dixie agreed about that.

New Network Demographic
Carter on demographic of wrestling said that Destination wants adults, while Spike wanted a specific male demographic 18-49 age. Destination is much more broad and may want a younger audience as well. 25-54. TNA will work towards that this year that males and females can enjoy.

More TNA shows
Carter is excited about the replays, and the Saturday morning "Unlocked" show that will be unveiling as it was something they wanted to do for a long time. "This will be young and hip and quick and fast".

Behind the scenes
Carter said it seems as though the wrestling fan is more interested in the behind-the-scenes. They will be transitioning this year from trying to distinguish themselves not just from competitors but from themselves in the past. Carter said it's like watching the Olympics; you don't know much about the athletes, but the three minute segment makes fans feel for the people. She asked why you can't do that in wrestling?

Lashley
Carter mentioned how Lashley doesn't go out and talk/act as much. Lashley is a legitimate badass in real life and he backs it up in the ring with amazing matches. Carter said they didn't have to get Lashley to recite Shakespeare to get over.

Carter on TNA expanding to Mexico and Canada:
"Absolutely. I've tried to tweet about Canada. We're in negotiations right now. I'm very hopeful that something will break in Canada and we will amount to something soon. I encourage people to call their network affiliates and that they want wrestling. We have a new deal in Mexico and some exciting plans are going to happening there and in south of Mexico which we never expanded to before."

Is TNA "Impact Wrestling" or "TNA Wrestling":
"The name of the company that it was founded on is TNA - Total Nonstop Action. We have struggled with the acronym of that; I have personally. But there is quite a foundation that's embedded in that invested in so much time. The television show - we have one 2-hour show called 'Impact Wrestling'. Impact is our Raw. Other places in the world, we have TNA Xplosion, TNA Global Matches, TNA Impact - so it's not as confusing around the world. TNA remains our corporate name. We've got "Greatest Matches" coming out, Unlocked, and hopefully more."

Ross says people are expecting significant changes on TNA's first show on Destination America. Ross suggests that wrestling fans should not think TNA should go crazy as the next week is another show.

Carter on what she expects from the shows in New York City and how many shows they want:
"I think the goal is five shows over the three days. The live show - you're not going to see a different show. There's only so much you can do in a live format television production. That show is going to be off-the-charts wrestling. We've got some incredible match-ups. Bobby Roode/Bobby Lashley. There are some other things that night. The live show will be an action-packed wrestling show. But the changes you'll see will come in the subsequent weeks as there will be production time to give the show a different feel."

Carter said Josh Mathews will give the show a fresh feel, but Tenay is such an important aspect of TNA and will have different duties on top of being part of TNA Unlocked.

Carter said John Gaburick is a positive influence and that the locker room isn't in a better shape.

Carter on house shows and expenses:
"It's also supply and demand. I feel like 'if you build it, they will come'. I feel we need to give the touring a little bit of a breather. We have done it so much in prior years. We have a smaller roster than other people... it's more important that the television show gets the attention it needs and deserves and when that takes off where we need it to, we absolutely plan on touring. We need to do it right and successfully."

Ross isn't sure about King Mo, Bellator, Rampage Jackson - are they working for TNA:
"Our deal - we still work with King Mo and I want to see that happen. Lashley is still fighting with Bellator. I've talked with Tito - he wants to do something. We're not working with Rampage right now. I know Brock left wrestling, went to MMA, left MMA and went back to wrestling. I cannot even begin to tell you how physically grueling it is to wrap up the series of tapings we did and fight in MMA two weeks later. Lashley is the first person to ever do it. But King Mo really wants to do it. He's been great to work with.

On AJ Styles:
"AJ has been synonymous with TNA for many years and I think he'll always be TNA. I've told him that. I hope to get to work with him again in the future. He's fantastic. No matter how great his matches were for us. He has never had a stinker. I think he was really coming into his own in his last year or so on our show. I was so proud of that growth as much as I was just how incredible he is in the ring."

On Carter's relationship with Vince Russo. Respect factor? Still friends? Will he be back?:
"There are no discussions and plans whatsoever to do that. I think Vince, when focused and when all moons are aligned, he can be a tremendous talent. I wish him success in everything he does. There have been no talks at all about anything going forward."

Network's thoughts on the product.
Carter said she negotiated every two years. A majority of the negotiations this year I had was when I was still with Spike. Many of the networks ask immediately why Spike would even let them go. Carter said she would never in a million years say anything bad about Spike as they gave TNA a lot of opportunities; she would forever be grateful. At the meetings, she said she was overwhelmed at the potential.

Wrestling company that does television or a television company that does wrestling?:
"We're a wrestling company that does television, but we're a wrestling company that does include other pockets of opportunity like live events... Short term: we want to be a wrestling company that really focuses on television; get it right, let's see if we can do something a little different, special than we have ever done before and hopefully, people will like it"

For those that don't know TNA Impact debuts on Destination America on Wednesday January 7 2014 at 9pm EST, and then will air on its regular timeslot on Fridays starting Friday January 16, 2014.

Fat boy oklahoma said nothing. He is out of touch.

The little school boy wanted a second invitation to the carters ranch

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back