• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Divas Champion Natalya: Who plays the foil?

Who will take the Diva's championship from Natalya?

• Melina

• Michelle McCool

• Beth Phoenix

• Maryse

• Layla

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

LSN80

King Of The Ring
On the September 27 episode of Raw, Natalya won a battle royal to become the number one contender to the WWE Unified Divas Championship, and began feuding with self-professed co-Divas Champions Lay-Cool.At the Hell in a Cell pay-per-view on October 3, she defeated Michelle McCool via disqualification in a match for the championship, which meant that McCool retained the championship. She received another championship match three weeks later at the Bragging Rights pay-per-view, where she lost to Layla after McCool interfered.

On the November 1 episode of Raw, Natalya once again became number one contender to the Unified Divas Championship after defeating Michelle McCool in a non-title match. At Survivor Series on November 21, Natalya overcame the odds and defeated McCool and Layla in a two-on-one handicap match. This marked the biggest win of her career and enabled her to win the WWE Divas Championship for the first time.

Natlya has since found herself aligned with the returning Beth Phoenix, who she competed alongside of in the first ever Divas tag team table match, in which Natalya put both McCool and Layla through a table with a spalsh off the tope rope. The next night on Raw, Melina won a triple threat match to become the No. 1 Contender to Natalya's Diva's title. As Natalya entered the ring to congratulate her, Melina slapped her, turning heel in the process.

Melina is currently the No. 1 Contender, but Beth Phoenix will likely not be content to be a sidekick forever. LayCool, either individually or collectively won't be out of the title picture forever, and despite the underutilization of many of the Divas, the division is stocked with former champions in Eve, Gail Kim, Maryse and Alicia Fox.

WWE has booked Natalya as a strong and dominant champion since winning the title, and she's displayed good poise and presence in the ring and on the mic both. The purpose of this thread is to discuss who end the championship reign of the only female graduate of the Hart Dungeon. Having said that, I present to you three questions.

1. Who will be the one to end the first championship reign of Natalya?

2. When will it happen?

3. How would you book it/do you see it being booked?

Firstly, I think it's great to see Natalya as Diva's champion. She a winner that the fans are buying, and would be a much bigger star if the company put more time and energy into the division.

Ulitmately I think they're headed for a Natalya vs Beth Phoenix wrestlemania showdown. Beth has to turn at some stage - likely to be the Royal Rumble, followed by a feud that will culminate at the beginning of April.

Melina will play the stop gap, creating a mini-feud to what should be a nice match at the Royal Rumble. I see Natalya winning then Beth turning, taking her out.

Quite how you take that feud and get it going for 10 weeks before Wrestlemania I'm not so sure - but that's for creative to decide.

Regardless, I'd be shocked if they have anything else planned than Nat vs Beth at WM27. If it comes off, there's no reason why this can't be the best divas feud since Trish and Mickie James from Wrestlemania 22.

It's gotta be Beth.

Natalya has been one of, if not THE most entertaining diva's champion in years. She had a very good feud with LayCool, effectively usurping them as the queens of the divas division. With Beth Phoenix by her side, Natalya seems unstoppable.

Natalya looks like she could beat any diva on the roster, and I wouldn't be surprised to see her do it. Look for her to take care of Melina after a program that could last through Mania, and then to dispatch a diva every PPV, some in mean feud, others in friendly matches. Eventually it'll get to the point where there are no divas that Natalya hasn't beaten, and Beth will be the only competitor left. Natalya will offer Beth the title shot, but Beth will take exception to being OFFERED the title shot, and she'll take her anger out on Natty. I would love to see them in a special match, perhaps a diva's steal cage match or a falls count anywhere match. It will be a hard fought match, with Phoenix just stealing a win. It should be a solid end to a solid championship run, and look for Natty to stay relevant in the divas scene even after her reign is over.

I love Nattie as champ and I've enjoyed every bit of her run thus far unlike other champs in recent memory. If I had to weather a guess we are going to possibly see some sort of Beth vs. Natalya match out of respect to each other and I would assume that goes down at Mania. These two are probably the best in ring divas the WWE has and to put them on the Mania card and give it some sort of hype would garner some interest in the Divas division. Both of them can go and are very similar to each other, you'd have to think it would be one of the better divas matches we've seen in years. Not sure there is any other option besides Beth.

Melina,
I'm going to say at the Royal Rumble.
This is how I see it happening, Melina continues with her heel turn, ending up with a title match at the Royal Rumble. In the middle of the match, Beth.P's music plays, Melina takes advantage of the distraction and becomes the new Champ. Natalya confronts Beth.P, and she brushes it off as a mistake made buy the techs. Natalya won't drop it and Beth.P says she's tired of repeating herself. On the following Smackdown Natalya's music plays costing Beth.P her match. Then a little while into the show they show Beth.P backstage laid out, turning her into a tweener. All the while Melina’s screaming about how she won was no fluke. All this leads up to a triple threat match at WM27. Beth.P and Natalya end up losing the match for themselves. Melina wins, then on the following Raw, she shows video tapes of her "persuading" the techs to play the songs as well as her attacking Beth.P. Then you can make a Who plays a foil thread for Melina!

Gotta be Beth Pheonix. They are obviously building some kind of relationship between Natalya and Beth, I believe it's only a matter of time before the WWE goes all out with their divas division with this amazing dream match. I don't believe either of them need to turn heel for this match up. Treat is like a real dream match, both faces, nothing too personal. Just a feud over the belt. With Lay-Cool out of the picture currently, they may be taking the eye off Beth and Natayla's relationship with Melina so they can build their match later on.

2. When will it happen?

No doubt about it, Wrestlemania XXVII. Like I said, Beth Pheonix and Natalyaa have that Trish Status and Lita feel to them. They are two of the best women in any division currently and they will really go at it. This match won't rate a D- on a KB review, it'll be something to look forward to and Wrestlemania will be the place to do this. Finally WWE is paying attention to their divas. Not just slopping a match together at Wrestlemania. It will happen.

Like I said, No heel turns. These two are real big time women in any wrestling promotion. There have been talks of Vince being more focused then ever on delivering at Wrestlemania. Make this a real dream match. Nothing personal just make sure it will be intense. Have them attack each other, but have them laugh it off in the end. Like "you got me hahaha" type of thing. Then build it up and build it up and have them really slug it out a 'Mania. It could be something really awesome.

I really believe it will be Melina. Melina made her return to WWE earlier this year and won the title immediately... but she lost it to LayCool very soon after. Melina is one of the more dominant Divas in the division along with Michelle, Beth, and Natalya. Her in-ring ability is great and she has a very versatile combination of moves, ranging from a submission finisher, a exclamation point finisher [Sunset Split] and a reversal finisher she can pull from anywhere [Last Call Sunset Powerbomb]. Melina has a mean streak and can quite possibly play to one of the best heels SINCE Trish Stratus... personality wise. So let's see how it develops, and how she develops as a heel.

2. When will it happen?

I don't know that it will happen at the Royal Rumble... I'm hoping we finally get a Divas feud at WrestleMania, and no more of slammed together tag matches, rumbles, or playboy lumberjill matches... and finally a real title match... however, I think we have 6 weeks to build a feud which is a great length of time for Melina to build up and win at Royal Rumble... but I would rather see it happening at WrestleMania.

Personally... this whole Melina HEEL turn thing hasn't proved a real heel turn to me just yet. I mean, obviously it means she is in that general direction, but it was simply a slap to the champion. Melina is a competitor and she put her champion on notice. I would love the WWE to play off on this and go in the general direction of building both these women as GOOD competitors who are BOTH fan favorites until the actual event... where Melina has to cheat to win, ultimately turning Heel.

-----------------
I just wanted to edit and add my opinion about Beth. I think both Beth and Natalya are amazing, but I don't think they would put on that great of a match together. They are both excellent wrestlers but I feel as if Beth has been portrayed as so dominating, I just don't see a Diva defeating her... her entire career, she has almost NEVER lost to a clean sweep finisher. All her defeats tend to be roll ups or sneaky surprise pins... and that says something. Beth and Natalya are also just both powering Divas and when it comes to a power match, I just feel like in the end it just simply wont deliver... much like Goldberg vs. Lesnar at WM XX... Together they are a dominating force, against each other I'm just predicting a stalemate train collision.

That's just my opinion. I just think seeing Beth or Natalya fight other Divas rather than each other would be better... I'm sure they're matches would be great I just don't think multiple matches would be able to be reinvented by them to show us something new in a FEUD between them.

Melina is heel now, but I don't think it's time for her to reclaim the title. Beth Phoenix should receive it first becuz there is obvious build-up to it. Whether she stays face or heel doesn't matter to me.

Melina is heel now, but I don't think it's time for her to reclaim the title. Beth Phoenix should receive it first becuz there is obvious build-up to it. Whether she stays face or heel doesn't matter to me.

What is this obvious build-up? Beth Phoenix has done nothing since she has returned besides 3 or 4 Glam Slams. I am a huge fan of Beth Phoenix, but since her return, she has participated in 2 Matches, 1 of which was a Battle Royal. She has not done anything yet to show her worth for a title run. Obviously that isn't her fault, but there simply is NO build up. She came back to help her friend, and settle a score with LayCool... which Natalya did more so then Beth. Beth looked ridiculously weak in the Tables match at TLC, it could be how it was supposed to go down, or it could be that scary bump she took when she fell out the ring. Maybe its time for Beth to destroy LayCool and then gun for the title.

I think it has to be beth... Iwould love to see beth and natalya for the divas championship at wrestlemania.. the last time we saw to top class divas battle it out at wrestlemania was back in 2004 i think when we had Trish vs Mickie.. correct me if the years wrong...

Even if both are faces in this match it would be one hell off a match... But as for the question I think beth will take the title at maybe WM although I want Natalya to have a lengthy reign..

Nattie is a great wrestler and only deserves to drop the belt to someone of the same calibre, so my choice is Gail Kim.

Like many others I would go for Wrestlemania where I'd break from tradition and make the Diva match simple (no stips, 1 on 1) and not rushed - give the two girls 15-20 minutes.

Storyline... Beth and Nattie have developed a friendship recently but have Beth side with Melina in the current storyline - jealousy should be sufficient as a reason. Have Gail save Nattie from a beating and the two of them feud with Beth and Melina creating various match-up between the warring twosomes culminating in a three way No1 contenders match at the Elimination Chamber PPV that'll have Gail go over Beth and Melina. In the next six weeks there can be an ongoing tease that either Gail or Nat is going to turn heel on the other (LayCool/ Beth & Melina can be the protagonists at stirring this notion) and this can be used to build tensions between the two. Personally though, I'd keep both face and maybe tease Gail using the bell on Nattie sometime during the bout (ala Piper Vs Hart for the IC Belt). While I wouldn't rule out outside interference or ref bumps - I'd restrict these in having any impact on the outcome (ex Laycool, Beth and Melina charge the ring but Nat and Gail chase them off together, the ref will either have to take a bump or be distracted if Gail was to tease a bell shot). After Gail throws the bell out and after further close calls Gail takes a spill from the top rope and Nattie attempts the sharpshooter, Gail grabs the middle rope and uses it to get up on her right leg. This causes the left leg that Nat is still holding, to move (almost) unnoticed under her chin - a quick Eat Defeat later and we have a new Divas' champ. Both girls embrace after the conclusion - I guess a heel turn will have to wait for another day.

Screw the whole "she's a good worker" pick. The divas are only going to get 2-3 minutes on average, so what's the point of doing a bunch of shitty and/or botched moves to ZERO reaction?

Give the belt to Maryse. She's one of the few divas that actually try to get her character over as oppose to doing a bunch of set spots. We know that Maryse is goofy, can bump her over-tanned ass off, and has more charisma in one hair flip than just about any other diva has in their entire body. The crowd responds to her because she makes them respond. You can teach moves, you can't teach what Maryse has: She knows pro wrestling is a form of entertainment.. NOT A SPORT.

Besides, what is so great about Nattie or Beth? The WWE is all about a performer presenting something that makes them stand out. Both Nattie and Beth just seem like interchangeable people who like to throw people half their size around. They don't emote at all (if they even change facial expressions at all). They are bad sellers. And I really don't think Beth even tries to strike in her matches.

the last time we saw to top class divas battle it out at wrestlemania was back in 2004 i think when we had Trish vs Mickie.. correct me if the years wrong...

It was actually 2006, at Wrestlemania 22. Trish had been women's champion for over a year before Mickie took it from her. Melina(c) battled at Ashley for the title at Wrestlemania 23, but it was hardly an epic battle.

While it was a good move to turn Melina heel, she won't be taking the Divas title from Natalya. The 4 time former champion was likely turned to give Natalya a nice rub and enhance her championship reign. I fully expect Melina to put Natalya over at Royal Rumble, or whenever they face off.

I really think it will be Beth as well. My guess is LayCool will split after losing a series of tag team matches to Beth and a partner, and the two former partners will feud with each other. Maryse is currently playing the gold-digger to Ted Dibiase's "fortunate son" act, so I don't even see her getting a shot. That leaves Beth. We all know that partners and "friends" turn on each other all the time, and I expect Beth to turn on Nattie sometime before Wrestlemania, as she's a better heel then a face.

2. When will it happen?

I think it will take place at Wrestlemania. It will be a battle of the two strongest Diva's in WWE, but I don't see Natalya being able to overcome Beth's strength and experience. Beth will win the title at Wrestlemania in the first women's title match at WM since WM23.

I would book Natalya to go over Melina at the Royal Rumble, and continue to have Beth look dominant and win matches on Smackdown. Having Natalya defeat Melina at a major PPV like the Rumble will be a nice rub for Natalya in having her go over a multi-time former champion.

I would then book a tag team match at Elimination Chamber. I would have Beth and Natalya go over LayCool once again, but have Beth turn on Natalya after the match with an emphatic Glam Slam. This would give them over a month to book a match for Wrestlemania, which would give them time to establish Beth's jealousy after her "friend" Natalya hasn't given her a title shot, so she was going to take it for herself. Beth would then win as Battle Royal to become No.1 Contender on the next Raw.

Beth would then win the title at Wrestlemanai from Natalya. This would give Natalya a nice title run of 5 months and move Beth back into the position of the most dominant Diva in WWE.

Other: I think AJ Lee will be the one to do it, If I recall correctly, they're planning to move her to raw (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and while I'm not a fan of Face vs Face matches, I prefer AJ to be the one to do it

I'm going with Beth, preferably in a straight up one on one match at Mania, I think it is the kind of match that could really raise the bar or at least put it back where it was in the Trish era.

The news that Kong has signed I don't think will necessarily alter the title picture immediately as I could see her starting out as a bodyguard type character.

The other factor is Melina, if her heel turn develops well it could end up a triple threat for the title at Mania.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back