Did Jericho Really Take A Shot At TNA Though?

Optimist Prime

Arise Optimist Prime...
Chris Jericho's tweet:

"After 10 yrs TNA talent still have an inferiority complex. If u don't think that u work for the BEST COMPANY EVER then nobody else will! As a performer u hav to act and project that where u work is the pinnacle of competition! If not then the whole place just seems second rate."

By this stage in my life, I know that the "news" industry is filled with inaccuracies and embellishing nonsense...especially when it comes to their titles...but like everyone else, you see that title and just want to find out what happened, so it definitely works. Unfortunately, once you start reading said article - you realize that you were pretty much duped.

While this tweet is certainly not a compliment by any means - it's also not a "shot" at the company. I would put Jericho's tweet more under the lines of "Constructive Criticism" which is quite necessary in any business.

If somebody at my work pulls me aside and tells me that they know I have potential but think I'm not working to my fullest capabilities - that isn't taking a "shot" at me. That's observing something that you may have come across during your tenure with the company and are telling me in the hopes that I understand what he's saying and act on it. That's constructive criticism.

Everything isn't always one extreme or the other. Somebody isn't either complimenting you or "taking a shot" at you. There are several alternatives in between...in everything in life.

I actually agree with Chris Jericho's tweet and believe that it could be helpful and something for TNA to acknowledge. He's right. If you subconsciously feel that you're working for a second rate company then you probably won't take it as seriously as you would had you felt you were a part of the best.

Now, of course, this is assuming that Jericho's observation were accurate and these wrestlers weren't putting in their all. I've never been a wrestler affiliated with any organization so it's harder for me to tell than it would be for somebody like Jericho so maybe I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt. But maybe the wrestlers are trying their hardest believing they work for the best company out there? Who knows? I'm merely writing this based on Jericho's personal perception assuming it were true...and at least from Jericho's eyes...he believes that it was.

I would think that if his intentions were to actually take a shot at TNA, he wouldn't have pulled any punches and perhaps mentioned something more deep or vital. But again, that's just my opinion.

What do you guys think? Was it really a shot at TNA?

-Prime

Nope — I fully agree with you Op. To me it came across as though he were a veteran giving advice to a rookie who's faltering or not performing to his potential.

It came across to me as though he were upset with how someone (or numerous someones) he felt were actually performing as though they knew they were only second best, which essentially condemns them to thinking that way.

Jericho operated the exact same way his entire career — it's the byproduct of a guy who honestly believes in the philosophy of hard work paying off. No matter where he was, be it a bingo hall in Philly, a major sports dome in Japan, Atlanta, New York or otherwise, he always busted his ass and gave the fans his absolute best. That's the advice I see him passing on here — essentially suggesting that TNA's performer(s) do the same to raise their own morale, as well as the morale of the company.

My thoughts on this tho are why does Jericho care so much about what is going on in TNA? Or the UFC? Is this his way of staying relevant? Seems every week he has something to say about TNA

And then the comment of UFC fighters not being able to do what wrestlers do. If its so easy why doesnt he take up fighting? I used to like Jericho but seems lately he's more worried about whats going on around him than whats going on with him.

My thoughts on this tho are why does Jericho care so much about what is going on in TNA? Or the UFC? Is this his way of staying relevant? Seems every week he has something to say about TNA

And then the comment of UFC fighters not being able to do what wrestlers do. If its so easy why doesnt he take up fighting? I used to like Jericho but seems lately he's more worried about whats going on around him than whats going on with him.

That's a very good point but everybody does that in some fashion...especially on Twitter or Facebook and especially a forum like this one. The difference is, Chris Jericho is famous.

Apparently anybody who is not famous gets away with posting their feelings on various things but when you're famous you have to watch what you're doing.

I'm kind of in the middle on this one. While I feel everybody should have the same liberties to express their feelings - I am also cognizant to the fact that he's somebody famous, especially in his own industry he's talking about, and perhaps should take that under consideration. And maybe he did? And maybe he just doesn't care? Who knows?

I do agree with you on why should he care so much...but in the same breath - we all do it and get away with it - and he's a human being just like the rest of us...with just a little more insight and a lot more to lose...I guess.

And then there's also always THIS.

I agree that this wasn't necessarily a shot. I am a little confused what he is referring to anyway. If he is even alluding to taking shots at WWE then he would certainly be quite a hypocrite because of his recent UFC comments. If he is talking about how the talent carries themselves on the programming then that is absolutely just constructive criticism. I think Jericho even mentioning TNA in any regard is actually a help to the company considering their issues with getting the TNA name out there. It wouldn't surprise me if he felt that way too. Then again maybe Jericho is just a few bottles of wine away from a Nash fall from grace.

I completely disagree with you, at least with why he cares about what's going on in TNA. It's professional wrestling, Jericho is a professional wrestler, why wouldn't he care? The man wants to see TNA do well, he wants professional wrestling to survive and more importantly thrive. He loves wrestling and wants it to be relevant in the future.

The biggest problem with WWE is that they don't feel TNA is a major threat and neither do a lot of the the fans and wrestlers. Jericho wants TNA to do well so wrestling will thrive and so that Vince has to start sweating a little so wrestling will be truly exciting again. So I ask you why shouldn't he care about what's going on in TNA?

As far as the UFC thing goes, Jericho was just being Jericho. He watched the fight and everything leading up to it I'm assuming and he wanted to comment on it on his twitter. So what? And ultimately he was talking about the fighters trying to do wrestling style angles witht he UFC, saying that they couldn't ever do that, which we all know it's exactly true. Jericho was just being Jericho.

This wasn't a shot, Jericho was trying to be something like a mentor, if I were in the business, I promise you I'd listen to anything someone like Jericho had to say to me too.

his comments were common sense, wrestling 101 as it were for TNA. any performer wants the industry to flourish. can't do that if performers are cutting promos that dont put their own company over another's.

as for UFC, you take MMA fighters, make them fight 4 days a week every week all year round, see how long their careers last. as it is, MMA isnt a sport where you can fight full time long term

No it wasn't a shot. He didn't say anything that wasn't the truth. He didn't put it in a way that was degrading or insulting to anyone. I look at it as constructive criticism, myself. I don't think he was trying to help them either. I think he was just being the straight up guy he is, and stating a REAL opinion.

That is another thing [among many] that I like about Chris Jericho. Whether it be someone he has had troubles with in the past, "competition", or when regarding a subject that may have been deemed "Touchy", Jericho will always tell it like it is.

No, this wasn't a shot. When Jericho takes a shot at you, you absolutely know it. This was criticism, but there was no malice in the comment. It's kind of a compliment to say he was watching at all these...the popular thing for those outside the company is to say they don't watch, don't know when it's on, etc. Frankly, TNA earned that disrespect, but in recent weeks, I think the product has been better. They are starting to put focus back on their own guys, but we don't need them telling us they could have gone someplace else for more money, but they stayed because they love the company. Tell us you want to make it to the top of the company, end of story. We know WWE is on top, and it's huge, and they have more money...we don't need your top guys to go in the center of the ring and tell us this. I think that was the point Jericho was making.

Like everyone else, I agree. It wasn't a shot at TNA, but more of a wake up call. I enjoy TNA, but I do feel that some of the guys don't really feel they are working for "the best company". Though, on the flip, you can see there are some there that feel they do. I won't give names, as I dont want this to turn into a debate.

In WWE, I think that most of the guys who get signed and released in short times have that same mentality, and it makes there work effort appear to suck. If you don't feel your working for the "best company", you are not going to give your best efforts. Its that simple.

It's the truth. Robert Roode cut a truly solid promo talking about how he was sick of the vet's taking over and stuff, he did mention the time he and Chris Harris were given an offer by WWE and they turned it down to stay in TNA. While it made him sound like a hero for staying, he also did mention how he turned down big money and bigger chances. Yes, he sounded like a hero, yes he got over, but what does that say for TNA's financial and overall standing in the world of pro wrestling? What Jericho did was offer a tip which TNA should follow. Nothing wrong with that other than dirt sheets aiming to get more hits on their site with petty exaggerations. Because that like... Gives them orgasm or something.

Just a random memory flashed in my brain. How many people here have seen the movie "Beyond the Mat"? If you haven't you should see it. Anyway they started talking about Paul Heyman and ECW. I loved ECW, but lets face it, it was not the best company in the world. There was a scene, where Heyman gave a peptalk to the guys and it riled them up. TNA could probably use something like that too, and it shouldnt come from Dixie, or some exec in the back though. It needs to come from the guys who have been in the business for a very long time. Guys like Steiner, Jarret, Flair, Hogan, and the others who know this business like the back of there hand. Get the guys fired up, make them believe again.

Chris Jericho's tweet:

"After 10 yrs TNA talent still have an inferiority complex. If u don't think that u work for the BEST COMPANY EVER then nobody else will! As a performer u hav to act and project that where u work is the pinnacle of competition! If not then the whole place just seems second rate."

-Prime

It's not a shot at TNA and attempting some mild amateur psycho analysis at reading between the lines I don't think it was areal pop at the originals or guys who have come up from the indies. I think this is a shot at the 'big' names that come in and coast. The Hardys, RVD, Booker T, EV2.0 et cetera have walked into TNA, been pushed to the moon at the expense of the TNA vets AND still look disinterested. Y2J experienced this phenomenon in WCW and I would imagine it still rankles to see guys act this way.

Chris Jericho's tweet:

-Prime

I think there is a big diffrence between taking a shot, and giving constructive criticism. I think that was definitely contructive criticism. It was some fruit for thought for anyone at TNA who read that.

Nice constructive criticism by Y2J. Tna does kind of set themselves as 2nd best.I don't know why when they have the best in ring wrestlers on National T.V.They just need to find a way to market them better.

If people need an example look at RVD and J. Hardy.Both of those wrestlers look like they are just going through the motion.I was a fan of RVD back in the day, but now he looks out of shape as far as in ring ability.Also he just does a spin kick,rolling thunder and frog splash...less moves than Cena.

Jeff Hardy.... well I am not sure why he is in the main event scene. The guy is hella rusty in the ring and he doesn't have any endurance to last long matches in the ring at least it's seems that way on T.V.

as for UFC, you take MMA fighters, make them fight 4 days a week every week all year round, see how long their careers last. as it is, MMA isnt a sport where you can fight full time long term

Not sure what your getting at, but if your saying that wrestlers take more punishment than MMA fighters I disagree. Otherwise if your saying that wrestling isnt as demanding as fighting than I agree.

If this was in response to all the comments made at last Tna impact show where they said that they stayed at the company and declined all the big money, I think Jericho's contention is wrong. This statement actually elevated the talent and I liked all these things they said. It makes them look good. And there is no need to pretend that your company is the best in the business, what works better is the fact that u know ur company is not best but u still want to stay there and make it the best company because it is urs and u have faith in it. I believe all the arguements made by Fortune were more of a latter arguement where they know the company is not that good but they want the company to succeed.

However, if his remarks were in response to seeing the work of some wrestlers over there, (and I believe that was the case) he is so right! You need to give ur best effort in that ring and give value for money and time that the people have invested in ur product!

Nice constructive criticism by Y2J. Tna does kind of set themselves as 2nd best.I don't know why when they have the best in ring wrestlers on National T.V.They just need to find a way to market them better.

If people need an example look at RVD and J. Hardy.Both of those wrestlers look like they are just going through the motion.I was a fan of RVD back in the day, but now he looks out of shape as far as in ring ability.Also he just does a spin kick,rolling thunder and frog splash...less moves than Cena.

Jeff Hardy.... well I am not sure why he is in the main event scene. The guy is hella rusty in the ring and he doesn't have any endurance to last long matches in the ring at least it's seems that way on T.V.

I agree with your post, TNA should market their wrestlers more so they could be viewed as a big company. Maybe what Y2J said is the wrestlers should tell that they are in TNA because its the best company in the world and not say they are there because they only love TNA ,it makes it look cheap.

As for you comments about RVD and Jeff Hardy, well what do you expect from wrestlers that have put their body on the line in WWE for the past decade or so? Injuries are going to slow them down a bit (Maybe drugs are to blame for Hardy).

It's definately not a shot at TNA because frankly Chris Jericho does not care about TNA. He is too successful and too busy to bother with something like TNA. He just spoke his mind because he really believes that that is the way to go forward.

However what Jericho is asking is to completely ignore the existence of the WWE. My question is considering that more than half of the TNA talent has worked for WWE at some point do you think that that could happen? WWE are the leaders at the business that TNA are trying to be good at. They are forced to acknowledge WWE's existence whether they like it or not.

The other thing that they could do is that they could acknowledge WWE's existence but at the same time mention that they are better than WWE. Wouldn't that sound hypocritical?

Yes, there are occasions where TNA could be more subtle. But on the whole I would say that if TNA had a better product then these questions as to whether they should believe they are the best or not would not have arisen. So I think that that is what TNA should aim at doing: improving their product. Even if they acknowledge that WWE are better after doing that, I do not see it being such a huge problem.

I think people are making this a bigger deal then it really is! And I'm talking about Robert Roodes promo! This is just a case of Tna keeping it real! That's all! Tna is going with the shoot promos and reality show type stuff along with unscripted promos. I think people are just caught up in how the WWE doesn't mention Tna but Tna mentions WWE.tna is keeping it real while the wwe chooses to live in a glass bubble that's unrealistic!

Tna mentions other wresling companies like Triple A, New Japan ,All Japan and Ring of Honor. This is Tna recognizing that there are other companies out there and being real about it! Some people don't like it but some do, It's real IMO and needs to be done. There's no more frustrating thing is to have a great wrestler come to the WWE and them not acknowledge where he came from, Like the guy just popped in out of Knowhere!

I for one don't like my intelligence being insulted and The WWE does it all the time! So I appreciate Tna keeping it real with me ! That's all!

When I read the headline, I truthfully was expecting something FAR MORE malicious. It was hardly even a critique on the product itself. Simply the attitude of some of the staff and workers.

And... he's right. They shouldn't even acknowledge WWE unless it benefits them in some fashion. They have to forget out WWE and do their own thing. If anything, do the opposite of what WWE does and feel they do it better than anywhere else IN THE WORLD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back