Did Jeff Jarrett Ever 'Draw A Dime' In The WWF?

Low_Ki

Former WZCW Tag Team Champion
So a few years back I remember watching the Monday Night War DVD that the WWE produced to document their fight with WCW.

During the DVD, the one soundbyte that I always remembered was regarding Jeff Jarrett who 'broke a thousand guitars and never drew a dime'.

My questions is, do you agree with this statement? And Why?

From my perspective, I was an adolescent kid who was far more interested in Debra. Jarrett never jumped off the screen at me. He was a midcarder at best and I kind of thought of him more as an annoyance than anything.

He maybe drew a little money, but I didn't tune in on Friday nights (I'm in the UK, and Raw was on Friday nights) to see him.

I think the point that I gave up on Jarrett was when Austin gave him a stunner on Raw towards the end of his tenure, although that wasn't on him, that was creative.

Nope. I can't remember the exact timeframe he was around, 94-99 maybe, but I struggle to believe in an era of Hart, HBK, Austin, Taker, Rock, Vader, Nash, Hall and HHH, that anyone was paying their money to see Jeff Jarrett.

No. Jarrett was midcard at best in the WWE. He had two stints and both were pretty short. Good worker but was never a draw and was never given a chance to be one.

He almost came close to getting over in the Attitude Era when he started hitting women over the head with the guitar. He was actually getting a pop from the crowds. But then he left for WCW. The rest was history.

Perhaps partly due to Jarrett going back and forth between companies and never staying too long in any one run, he's a guy I completely forget about.

Jarrett was a perfectly solid midcarder. He did his job. Never got the big push. So no, I don't think he was ever much of a draw and he also was never really in position to be one.

For me, Jeff Jarrett was not a draw.

Tuning in to WWE at the time I was wanting to see Stone Cold, The Rock, HHH, etc not Double J.

I didn't watch WCW, so the last thing I remember was him losing the Good Housekeeping match to Chyna at No Mercy 1999, and who remembers his feuds with Al Snow and The Godfather prior to that?

The statement about breaking one thousand guitars and never drawing a dime could not be more accurate.

People just did not seem to like Jeff Jarrett, and not in the "he's such a good heel that people hated him" sense, more like in the "I have very little interest in anything Jeff Jarrett does" sense. I think a big part of that was because Jarrett valued himself higher than any fan ever did, and it showed. His promos had a very Dolph Ziggler 2012-esque feel to them and the fans just did not buy it.

I don't think anybody was paying tickets to see Double J, especially not in the Attitude Era. "Didn't draw a dime" is a good description of him.

Jeff Jarrett was too smarmy of a character to really be much of a draw. Sure, he was a heel. However, he was more of a "just get rid of him" heel, rather than "KICK HIS ASS!!!" heel. He was also a victim of his own arrogance. He was NEVER the wrestler he thought he was. He was a good talent for the Territories. WWE/WCW? Not so much. TNA? Had he just stayed in the background, things might have been a lot different.SO, yes, the fact that he "never drew a dime" tag fits very well, indeed.

No.

I didn't and I don't recall anyone ever saying they tuned into WWE or WCW to see Jeff Jarrett, in fact I was glad he went to WCW because it meant I didn't have to see him on RAW.

He was a solid worker who was pushed by WCW for whatever reason(s) and I guess he was in the right place at the right time and got lucky.

As for TNA, it was the Jeff Jarrett show, anytime he lost the title he quickly regained it and then there was some booking horrors like Monty Brown turning heel when he was the best thing they had going and should have defeated Jarrett instead of becoming his 'Planet Jarrett' colleague.

If Jarrett had been born circa 1947 rather than 1967, I think there was a chance he would've been a major star in a number of the various southern based territories. As it was, when Jarrett began wrestling back in 1986, the territory system was on life support and the plug was about to be pulled. Until he showed up in the WWF in mid 90s, Jarrett was really only a star in Memphis or in WCCW due to the working partnership between WCCW and Continental Wrestling Association at the time. Given that his father, Jerry Jarrett, was the founder and one of the co owners of CWA, along with Jerry Lawler, you always have a little nagging wonder if that genuinely had anything to do with whatever opportunities he had. Even then, however, he was still mostly wrestling as either a mid-card or tag team guy just as he was when he came to the WWF. By the time Jarrett was elevated to main event status in WCW, the company was roughly a year from being bought out by the WWF and the quality was nonexistent.

During the Attitude Era, Jarrett simply didn't have the edge that fans preferred top guys to have. Jarrett was basically just a country boy calling everybody slapnuts trying to give the impression that he was a tough guy while toting around a fake guitar to break over someone's head. I never bought into the guy as a main eventer and have always thought that he was a good, solid mid-card and tag team wrestler who was elevated to a spot he didn't have the goods for whether it was in WCW or when he founded TNA. As I said earlier, had Jarrett been born 20 or so years sooner than he was, I think he may have been a bigger star as he really would've fit in more with the times.

As basically everyone else has said, I agree Jarrett was best served as a mid carder. I enjoyed him during his first run as a heel ic champion. He was prettt good in ring and had some good matches and a good feud with Razor. Didn't enjoy anything he did when he came back during the attitude era.

The OP brought up the sound byte from the MNW series about JJ breaking a thousand guitars but never drawing a dime. I too, for some reason, remember that but can't remember who said it....anyone remember?

Of course he never drew. The fact that Vince McMahon never (and will never) brought him back in the true testament. Vince has brought anyone back, no matter what they did to him in the past, who would draw or if there ANY type of monetary value at all. Jarrett was lucky he was a wrestler in the HOTTEST era of pro wrestling where low-and mid card guys could get jobs in either top promotion.

I too, for some reason, remember that but can't remember who said it....anyone remember?

Mike Graham said it.

Jarrett was NEVR a draw, he wasnt ever in any main events in WWF and once he went to WCW and became a main eventer the numbers started plummeting even faster so what does that tell you?

The irony is that the other person who supposedly "never drew a dime" was also a second gen star in that era... Bret Hart. The differences between them aren't as big as you think.

Both grew up in their father's territory and were given above average pushes their. Remember Jeff was originally part of the USWA trades as far back as 1992/1993 which saw Jerry Lawler come in and his dad was due to be the guy who ran the WWF if Vince went to prison.

A bit like Bret, JJ came in as much on his family name as his own talent. Where Bret was able to move past that and prove himself (albiet by working with guys he knew from Stampede) Jarrett never really had that same ability. He could play the cocky heel, but so much of his schtick seemed cribbed from others (The Flair Strut, the Savage like tights) that he wasn't really original.

As an IC champ, he was servicable and he and Jesse James/Roadie were a good match... but to say he DREW in the same way Bret did as IC champ would be wrong... people didn't care JJ was the IC champ, they just wanted him beaten... Bret was IC champ, people WANTED to see him defend it.

Money did screw with Jarrett a lot more - he jumped twice to WCW in an era where doing it once could damage your career... his second run was better, in that he found his groove with the "Don't Piss Me Off" guitar gimmick and his team/friendship with Owen. It's easy to see why they bonded so well, pretty much would have had the same childhood.

Jarrett STILL wasn't drawing though and Austin was right to not want to elevate him or work with him in that world title picture. Some guys in the past were harshly denied, like Rick Rude when Hogan refused... but Austin had the measure of Jarrett. He was mid-card at best and even then, not the mid-carder people WANTED to watch.

The best modern equivalent is Miz before he got that World title push... Miz was able to turn it around through sheer will... and I think Jarrett could have if he'd not left the second time. Austin wouldn't have put him over though - he might have had to wait until Foley or Angle were in the driving seat.

Nah. Nobody was paying to see Jarrett. They were paying to see Stone Cold, DX, The Rock, etc.

BUT JJ was at his best IMO when he was tagging with Owen, and that duo had the advantage and the disadvantage of being on a hot roster at the hottest time in the company (and industry's) history.

Back in that day when (almost) every feud and title meant something and had time and energy poured into it creatively, I think JJ & Owen were a fun pairing who were, as many have said, best in the mid card. He was excellent IN that spot, but as to the OP: I doubt anyone ever said, "Let's go to RAW to see Jeff Jarrett!!"

The best JJ could have hoped for as far as that goes is if someone wanted to see him smash a guitar on someone's head. Even still, that likely wasn't selling the tickets.

I almost did a double take when I read the title of this. Jeff Jarrett has never drawn a cent in either WWF or WCW. The guy was just plain bland no matter what he was trying to portray, and he was utterly forgettable in both his WWF runs. We can all agree that the best part of him being on TV was that we were gonna see Debra with him. If anything, WWF was smart in keeping him in the mid-card; can you imagine him having a high profile feud with the Rock or Austin? Plus, I'm one of the multitude that feels it was insane to elevate him to World Champ in WCW. Hell, he shouldn't have been US champ.

Sadly, in JJ' s head, he's one of the biggest draws in wrestling history, thinking he can be compared to a Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair. Not even close. Even in TNA he had himself as the tip of the company and still couldn't draw close to Hogan, Flair or pretty much anyone else. It's too bad too because IMO JJ is a great promo and a pretty decent wrestler. I loved his feud with Kurt Angle in TNA. They had some good matches too.

It surprises me that a question that seemingly can only be answered with "No" has so many responses.

I think the Bret "not drawing a dime" example was more figurative, while Jarrett is probably literal.

Miz is interesting though. I agree he is a solid heel and performer. But has he drawn a dime? I am really asking. I have admitted to being a sporadic fan of today's product. But, in my few and far between viewings of Miz, he seemed to also be a solid guy who entertained those already in the building, as opposed to one who drew people to the building. Even his main event at Mania was more about Cena and Rock.

When I hear "draw", I think people who bring people to the show. As a young fan, I would go to house shows. Hulk--at the height of Hulkamania-- was the champ and rarely on the card. Obviously, it was my parents or family/friends who would buy tickets for me and I would be at the mercy of whoever was on the card. But had I been able to buy my own tickets, I would not go for a certain wrestler. At that time, I would be thrilled to see anyone in the WWF. WWF "drew" me at that time. SummerSlam '89 was my only PPV experience and although I was looking forward to Warrior winning the IC belt back from Rude and was mostly looking forward to seeing the Hart Foundation, I would have gone without either of them on the card. I just wanted to see these heroes in action, in person.

More to the point of the post, obviously, as an adult you can decide who to see and when to go to events. I went to Triple H's MSG return in '02 and some SmackDown taping around that time as well. That and one other MSG house show were my only live events as an adult. BUT, I still understand how a fan can be "drawn" by certain performers and not others. Like others have said, Hogan, Andre, Warrior, Stone Cold, Rock, Undertaker, Foley, Hardys, Edge and Christian, Jericho, LOD, Demolition, British Bulldogs, Hart Foundation...these are those who could DRAW me to an event. Sure, HBK and many others are considered draws and I am fine with that. I can appreciate a technical masterpiece from him, but he wouldn't make me, personally, want to buy tickets. Having said that, I absolutely see that many, many people would and have bought tickets to see him; so, he is certainly a draw.

But, Miz, Jarrett...some others from my time might be...King Kong Bundy, Big John Studd, Koko B. Ware, Paul Orndorff, Don Muraco, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Bushwhackers...these are all guys I would be THRILLED to see on the card once I got to my seat and bought my program. But I am not sure that any of them drew me to the building. It was more the collection of stars, rather than these guys individually. (Honestly, I grabbed these out of the air for various reasons--Studd and Bundy's size, Hacksaw, Koko and Bushwhackers' crowd involvement, etc.) and there may be instances where I was wrong. Orndorff's program with Hogan, for example, would have drawn me actually.

I just think there is a difference between making money with merchandise, etc. and DRAWING A DIME. Could just be my opinion and that is ok. But, as another example, a guy like Mark Henry has been there forever and has been a solid employee I am sure--but never once made me buy a PPV or even turn on a free episode of Raw. I would say Mark Henry never drew a dime. Whereas, the New Age Outlaws were draws because they could get people to go to a show just to yell along with their entrance. That is how I view drawing. Do Enzo and Cass draw? Or are you glad they are there, once you are already there, because their entrance is fun? Again, I am really asking. Separating who puts the people in the seats and who simply entertains them once they are there seems different to me.

As basically everyone said, he never drew anything for the WWE, or WCW for that matter, he even created his own Company (TNA), and still nothin, in fact, i remember the fans literally chanting "drop the belt, drop the belt", he made it about himself, as someone said, he thought he was the real deal when he wasn't, he is one of those guys that no one cares to see, fans can do without him, there wer even coments on the internet when he joined the Bullet Club, coments like how he was going to basically destroy them by joinning them, i don't know if he rubs People the wrong way, but there are some times that i see that Fans actually hate him, i don't wish anything bad for anyone, but i think the best for him is just to retire and work behind the scenes, because honestly, i don't think he draws anywhere.....

No.

Jeff Jarrett, while a solid wrestler in his own right and decent on the microphone wouldn't have drawn a dime in WWF. Not because of his gimmick mind you, but because he simply wasn't in the same league as wrestlers such as Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Diesel or The Undertaker.

I would say he wasn't in the same league as Razor Ramon, but in fairness; Razor never won the world title either.

He didn't draw in TNA either, people were telling him to drop the belt day in and day out and the only reason he drew in WCW was because he was the only main eventer at the time who seemed like he gave a damn. (Next to Booker T or Scott Steiner)

In short; Jeff Jarrett was Seth Rollins before Seth Rollins became a thing. Difference being that Rollins was actually great in the ring.

He technically wasn't the guy people were paying to see(That was obviously Austin, Rock, McMahon, Taker etc.) but I found him pretty entertaining during his feud with Chyna during the Attitude Era.

I'm not a fan of his but "Not drawing a dime" is a stupid argument to have. There are plenty of guys who are looked at as good professional wrestlers who "didn't draw a dime". Not everyone has the same role in a professional wrestling organization. Jarrett's role, for the most part, was not to draw you in, it was to draw the other guy in. How good he was at that is an argument worth having.

In the WWE he was a mid carder at best. He was the kind of person who's personality just grates on you after a while. He pretty much did what was expected of him but there were a lot of bigger fish that were the draw.

I guess I'm in the minority with this but I think Jarrett is one of the best of all time, Ive been a fan since way back in his USWA days, Admitedly his best work of his career was not in the WWE but to be fair he didn't have the best booking whilst there, I have never seen him have a bad match anywhere, One of the most underatted matches I have ever seen was Jeff Jarrett vs Shawn Michaels at one of the In Your House PPVs, I do think he should have been given a higher push in the WWE as he has proven he is capable and dependable of being put in any position on the show, My favourite series of any matches was Jeff Jarrett against Kurt Angle in TNA.
I don't believe many people back in the 90s paid for a WWE ticket soley on the basis of seeing Jeff Jarrett if thats your question but as for drawing money theres no question he did as he was always a strong part of those shows, back in that period there was maybe less than a half dozen guys who were over to that level but If he was given the same chances in the WWE that he was given in WCW or TNA things in my opinion would be different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back