Developmental: Is it worth it?

Remix

Is a thin rope
We all know what FCW is. I doubt many of us have watched it, but we've heard of it and for the purposes of this discussion knowing of it is enough. If you know what FCW is, you also know that the only way to bypass it is to be called Bryan Danielson. Since most people signed by WWE aren't called Bryan Danielson 99.99% of WWE signings spend time there. My question is, whether FCW and the organisations it replaced are worth having.

Pros

You can teach them how to work a required style. This is very important. Everybody who watches indie feds talk about the limitations and restrictions of "The WWE Style", and anybody who disdains indie feds talk about how they're psychology free spotfests. Having a developmental system means that you can subtract moves which are either dangerous, rediculous or make no sence. I don't need to explain why WWE feels the need to protect its performers by telling them not to do moves where somebody is likely to seriously injure themselves. That's basic health and safety. To illustrate the latter two, I'll use our WWE champion Sheamus.

[YOUTUBE]tm4cLm0u2_Q[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]-aat4uWHpxk[/YOUTUBE]

In the former case, can you imagine somebody actually winning a match, let alone a title with that move? And in the latter, what was the point of having a 280 pound guy jump over the top rope? Especially when he's supposedly a Celtic Warrior. The only guy the size of Sheamus who does that kind of stuff is 'Taker. Once a year, at the grandest stage of all. In wrestling, less is more.

Secondly, it allows you to take green guys like Sheamus was and mature them into what they are now. This is especially important because finding stars in the indies is like finding needles in a haystack. Having places like FCW where you can learn to wrestle and cut promos means that although you're no more likely to find needles in the haystack, you're likely to find things that can be worked on to make a needle.

Thirdly, what is the number one thing about being a WWE super star? I'll tell you, it's a character/gimmick. whichever word you use the point is the same, you needs a character that gets over. Now, WWE fans are a different breed to indie fans, so what gets you over in the indies probably won't get you over in WWE. Having places like FCW means that you can give them a character that has a greater chance of succeeding. this might be a small change like going from "The Irish Curse" Sheamus O'Shaunessy to "The Celtic Warrior" Sheamus, or it might be as large as going from Nicky (via "The Natural" Nick Nemeth) to Dolph Ziggler.

Finally, look at the FCW roster. These are all guys (and girls) that can be called up at any time. In some cases, they already have. Having a developmental territory means that you've got a healthy reserve of tallent that you can call up if need be. Granted, not everybody on the roster is ready to go but those that are ready can cpme up to plug gaps if need be. Need a tag team? No problem, call up the Usos. Need a Diva who doesn't mind shaving her head? Serena says she'll do it. Need 8 guys for a new show? I'll have them to you by Tuesday.

Cons

Developmental territories are expensive. You've got to pay the guys who aren't going to be on TV for a year or two, you've got to pay the trainers, you've got to pay for the equipment, you've got to pay for the buildings. And if you look at most of the guys there, not many are going to be stars. Look at it this way, for every guy who might be a star, there's twise as many who won't. You've got as much chance of finding a star in FCW as you do by looking somewhere like ROH. And chances are, the guys you'll get from ROH will be less green. And none of them would be David Otunga.

Another problem is that all of the guys you'll be calling up will be exactly the same. They'll have been taught by the same people, and as such they'll act like clones of one another. Even the guys who went to WWE via the indies will act similarly. If you're recriuting straight from the source, all of a performer's neuances will be freely used. You'll be bringing up individuals, rather than robots made by the same programmer.

Thirdly, all of the hard work of the Developmental Territory with finding a gimmick that works for them will often undone when they get called up. Serena was a mobster before Punk shaved her. The problem with places like FCW is the same as it is between WWE and the indies. Different audiences and different sizes means that what works in developmental might not in WWE. And of course, WWE might not need a wrestler with that gimmick, but they do need/want a guy with a different one. You'll have to adapt, Sunny Jim.

And finally, the developmental system means that guys who you've been a fan of since he first stepped into the ring of a small local show you went to have to wait for over a year before they come up. The Tyler Blacks, the Low Kis, The CM Punks of this world don't need to be retrained. They're good do go straight out the box. What's the point of having great wrestlers at your finger tips when the guys you send up are as shit as Eric Escobar?

So yeah, in your opinion are developmental territories worth it or not?

I like the writeup, Unsex. Probably the most well thought-out post I've seen on these forums so far.

Honestly, I'm not sure whether developmental is worth the effort, but I am glad that they have a pool of wrestlers to draw from. Unfortunately, the WWE does seem prone to having sudden periods where a number of wrestlers get put on the bench. Having the FCW wrestlers ready to serve as backup is a good idea, in my opinion.

Seeing the Usos challenge the Hart Dynasty actually makes me happier than seeing the Colon brothers go after the titles. In that respect, I'm quite happy that FCW was there to provide a contingency, even though I would've preferred the SES getting a shot.

So yeah, it's expensive, but I think the WWE can handle the cost. They may not make every guy that goes down there into a star, but you can get a feel for who will work once they are called up and the wrestlers themselves get a chance to practice. I think in the end, it probably is a good idea to have it around.

Man, after reading Unsex's post a few minutes ago, mine feels very incoherent.

Well mind you, FCW does have a television deal in the Tampa area, which allows a lot of the guys who've never been on TV to cut the "sloppiness" in the in-ring work. Would you want someone not named Sabu coming on TV and botching every other move? Didn't think so.

As YEDemon said, there're times (like now) where a lotta stars are injured/on vacation, so there has to be some sort of backup. Besides, developmental is to groom people into stars, not make said stars.

Side note: If well executed, that War Sword move (aka the Polish Hammer) COULD get the job done. After all it was a finisher for one Ivan Putski.

Is developmental worth it? Yes. Should it be relied upon solely? No. I understand the point of running FCW, they destroyed all their competition and need somewhere to get new people from. They can't rely solely on the indie's because plenty of indie guys are happy where they are and for every CM Punk there's a Braden Walker. I think the problem the WWE has, is character. The FCW guys don't really get over with anyone, look at all the guys on NXT, most of them aren't over. So in the case of developmental relying to much on guys from FCW leads to your Drew McIntyre's and your Eric Escobar's.

In short, I think developmental leagues like FCW and OVW are necessary. But they shouldn't be relied upon solely. I also think that running guys like CM Punk through a developmental system is a tad ridiculous and insulting.

Development companies are well worth the expense. It gives WWE a direct pool of young guys to choose from and mold into their style and what they want. When guys like Low Ki and Bryan Danielson went to development, it was because they had to learn the WWE style, which emphasizes safety and entertainment over pure wrestling and stiff shots. This is what they'll do with Tyler Black as well. Also they learn how to wrestle in a WWE ring which is much bigger than most of the Indy's rings.

And you can't argue with the results. Almost every star they have went through development. Randy Orton, Cena, Dibiase, Cody Rhodes, Sheamus, C.M. Punk, Drew, The Miz. WWE has been doing this for a long time, they've only used FCW for a few years now but Deep South and OVW were the main development territories several years back. The pros far outweigh the cons imo.

Firstly, Eric was given too much pressure, and just wasn't good enough for T.V when he came, although I was really getting into his Vickie promo's where he treated her badly. I found it entertaining. With that being said, it's the example of Eric Escobar that development can bring, as you said, they all are the same at the end of the day. But some are obviously better at doing something than others. Some may play a heel in FCW for a long time, and would need to change face for WWE, here is a big problem. I don't know for sure if they are a good idea, or just another Clusterfuck by the WWE ( Wouldn't surprise me ) But either way.. They always have back-up plans.

I may be wrong, but didn't Danielson only go to developmental because he requested to go. If I remember right, I thought I read that he felt a bit rusty and asked to go to FCW.

Developmental is like the going too college . It isnt needed not all the time but it doesn't hurt . I do think he hurts some of the big name indie wrestlers by putting them in Developmental , as opposed to them showing up on tv immanently so they can make an impact like how wrestlers did back during the monday night wars.

I think the only problem with developmental is something you briefly touched upon, that there are a lot of the same styles and gimmicks coming up to the main roster that we've seen before. The training is obviously good, but because there's only a few teachers they can only teach their own styles and this gets reflected on the wrestlers.

If you look at some of the current and previous generations best wrestlers you'd find that most of them have spent a lot of time in their early career in the indy's and abroad honing their craft. While it's not nearly as possible now it'd still be nice to see some young talent go through that route instead of the so called "easy" route through the developmental.

I have to say whole-heartedly that I believe the WWE has got it right with its developmental territory. My brother recently moved from South Africa to Tampa and his living his dream in FCW. I told me on the phone the other night that it is like a school- you can fine tune your in-ring abilities, get lessons in promo work etc, meet and chat with veteran stars etc all in one place. He has had a long career prior to the WWE, 11 years in fact, and he rose to the top of the South African wrestling scene. Some would say why go into the developmental scene if you have already been a pro for so long? This is why: you may be a good wrestler at home, but to be a world-class TV-calibre wrestler you need to be among those top wrestlers, learning intangibles, things that you couldnt learn any other way. All these things happen in a closed, safe environment. Hey, my bro was one out of 5 wrestlers that made it last year out of over 60 wrestlers. He must have some talent. But talent is not enough: imagine having Arn Anderson and Ricky Steamboat watching your matches, and Dusty Rhodes training you on promo work. Each and every week.

So I guess, the answer is YES! The developmental territory IS worth every cent. FCW brought us Sheamus, and now Wade Barret. OVW brought us Batista and John Cena. 'Nuff said!

I may be wrong, but didn't Danielson only go to developmental because he requested to go. If I remember right, I thought I read that he felt a bit rusty and asked to go to FCW.

Yes your right Bryan requested to go to FCW because he felt alittle rusty.

Now to the topic Yes I think there worth it It helps WWE find stars Because people in ROH ad stu like that either are fine where they are or just dont wrestle the WWE style and Devoplemental helps them Wrestle WWE style

Can you imagine if Goldberg had ran a year in a program similar to that? He wouldn't of been that sloppy in the ring, and would of been more valuable after the WCW collapse.

Now, I know this isn't a Goldberg thread, I was just using that as an example.

Anyways, Yes, Developmental is a good thing. Not a lot of big time free agents you can trust. Plus, you can control the talent. Now I know that sounds bad, but look at big sports teams.

They rely of Drafts and Free Agents, and they can be busts for their teams, and hurt the franchise for years. Look at Ryan Lief on the chargers... It took that team 6 years to recovery financial from that FUBAR.

So the WWE should use that luxury of their Developmental promotions. It makes sense.

The pros most definitely outweigh the cons in the case of a developmental territory.

It's true that not every single person in Florida Championship Wrestling will go on to greatness, but the few that do can benefit the WWE for a long time to come. It's really a hit-or-miss with developmental stars. Some might surprise in a couple of years time while others are doomed for the unemployment line the minute they debut on live television.

The WWE is doing smart in taking raw and unrefined talent and giving them the polish they need to succeed in the company. Since there is a big difference between the independent style of wrestling and the WWE's style, going somewhere like FCW can help them transition styles. It's more about telling a story through actions while maintaining safety in the WWE while it's more about one random high spot after another in the indies. The WWE breaks them down, only to build them back up again.

As someone previously mentioned, Tyler Black will probably go down to FCW for a bit to make the transition necessary to compete in WWE. If somewhere down the road the WWE decides to sign the likes of Chris Hero, Claudio Castagnoli or the Briscoe Brothers; they'll probably end up doing the same thing.

I don't get how this is even a question. There are no territories. The multitude of places a wrestlers can go and ply his craft, learn, grow and better hisself are very few. It is imperitive that WWE maintains a developmental "school" for building the future stars of the company.
Will all future wrestlers have to come from here? Obviously no. But only had they gained a wealth of experience elsewhere.
It's funny that everyone disses the "WWE style". ALL promotions have thier style. WWE just happens to be the biggun so theirs gets more attention. Deal.

I have to say whole-heartedly that I believe the WWE has got it right with its developmental territory. My brother recently moved from South Africa to Tampa and his living his dream in FCW.

Wait a min ... is your brother Justin Gabriel? :worship:

As for the developmental territories ... I would have to say its worth it. I mean it works in two ways. (1) its an opportunity for people w/o wrestling experience to mold their ability and (2) for guys in other feds to adjust to the WWE Style.

My only problem right now is that the WWE tends to call up guys from their developmental territories. I mean it makes sense as a business model and strategic sense but I noticed the young stars of today really don't distinguish away from each other very much.

Ted Debiase is like Cody Rhodes who is like Drew McIntyre who is like Dolph Ziggler who is like Wade Barrett (ultinatley they all remind me of Val Venis' style). I mean if you think about it the new talents these days are way too similar. Thus I just don't see the diversity of styles unlike post attitude era when you had guys outside the developmental system (i.e. Benoit, Guerrero, Rob Van Dam, Booker T, Jericho, Mysterio) varying up the matches and styles abut.

I definitely feel FCW is needed in a major way. As previous posters pointed out there's no more territory systems. It's a great way for the young talent to get experience not only on live events but on TV as well. It's also used for wrestlers returning from injury to get rid of ring rust. It also keeps many former wrestlers employed as trainers and in other roles.

I'm sure they do pretty well financially they hold shows all over the state, and many WWE stars make appearances often. I've been to many of their shows, and enjoy it. I actually prefer their TV show more than Impact most of the time.

Developmental training is vital, it gives the person a chance to practice performing under the companies guidlines and infront of a crowd, whilst not hindering the ratings of the televised shows by being thrown onto RAW for instance and making a fool of yourself or breaking basic guidlines like choking someone :p

Also gives the trainers a chance to see what you can do and how you'll likely handle the pressure of being in a company without having to travel around and scout all the time

Could also say the shows for spectators most likely aren't free, people watching it aren't getting free tickets and they don't have to worry about paying big bucks for TV time and can still get revenues from local advertising, more than likely the stars are getting paid next to nothing aswell and trainers etc. are getting paid anyway

And in the case of WWE having multiple developmental schools, more people get a chance to try out, and thus more chances for a star of the future even if they turn out to be a ref.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back