Delusional wrestlers or Vince feeding them BS?

HeenanGorilla

Championship Contender
You hear stories in shoot interviews or biographies about wrestlers who were almost champ or almost handed certain roles. Billy Jack Haynes, for example, thinks he was up for the Hogan role Terry Bollea eventually got. I have heard things like this over and over from either bitter wrestlers who never reached the fame they feel they deserved or wrestlers who have no ax to grind, but believed what they were told. Another example would be Tito Santana saying that El Matador was in line for the WWF title run given to Bret Hart.

My question is, are wrestlers kidding themselves? Or was Vince actually telling these guys that these were the plans? Quite frankly, it may very well be both. I could see Vince telling a guy like Billy Jack or a fading Tito something like that to keep them around on the mid-card. I often think "Really? You thought YOU were going to be champ?". But, what I used to think was sour grapes--and still may very well be--is naive superstars eating up a line of BS fed to them by the master.

What do you think? Obviously, each wrestler has their own "coulda/woulda/shoulda"--Billy Jack may be angry, Tito may be telling the truth, etc. But, overall, do you think Vince gave each of his wrestlers a glimmer of hope to their face and giggled when he shut the door? Do you think he really felt each wrestler had a chance to show him what they had and THEN be rewarded with a belt? Or do you think these guys are making up stories?

My guess is a little of each. Some were legitimate opportunities that didn't come to fruition for one reason or another; but, I think, for the most part, Vince was telling these guys what they wanted to hear to keep them happy.

Sad that these guys, even to this day, really believe they were in line for something that was never going to be handed to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back