• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Defining the Moment: Kurt Angle

LSN80

King Of The Ring
So Ivehad some success running this series in the WWE section, and I feel it's just as applicable here in TNA. I decided to go with TNA's biggest acquisition to TNA from WWE ever in Kurt Angle. The only rule here in the thread is this: The moment has to be something Kurt has accomplished in TNA.

So here's the deal with a career defining moment. It's that time in a wrestler's career that made you take notice of them more than any other. It's the special moment in said wrestler's career that made you look at them differently, as more then the average wrestler. It's not to be confused with the moment you took them seriously as a main eventer. This is the moment you believe the wrestler will be remembered for when all is said and done so far in their career. It's not necessarily confined to a match either, as it can be a promo, segment, a series of events in a row that lead to an amazing climax, or an incredible match. There's no set criteria for this, just your personal opinion. Whether we like the wrestler is immaterial, and this isn't a "first" list. It has everything to do with what really will stick out as the crowing moment of said wrestler's career(to this date) when it's all said and done.

The thing Im looking for here most, personally, is to see many a different perspective on Kurt's career in TNA. I enjoy seeing how we, the IWC, view said wrestler. Throughout the previous series' it's been quite exciteable to see so many people with varying viewpoints on the same wrestler. I expect the same with Kurt Angle.

When I look at ANgle's TNA career, there's one moment that stands out more then any other. After competing with Samoa Joe in a tag team match at Victory Road 2007 where the man who scored the pinfall received the man whom he pinned championship(s), which Joe did, pinning Brother Ray to win the TNA Tag Team Championships by himself. With Joe holding both the X Division Title and the Tag Titles, and Angle the World Title, Joe challenged Angle to a match at Hard Justice with all the titles on the line. The result was, to me, Kurt Angle's defining TNA moment.

[YOUTUBE]WRUtnhk1hZg[/YOUTUBE]

Not only was this a phenomenal match, Angle made history in many ways. He became the first and only man to hold every TNA title at the same time. He also became the only man to be a triple crown winner in both TNA, and WWE. Angle had come to TNA and established a legacy that is virtually untouchable. Id bet the house that Angle's accomplishment will never be duplicated, truly making it his defining moment within TNA.

This truly is a personal thread. In essence, its the moment that you will most remember of Angle when all is said and done in TNA. Im looking for more then just an example, as I want an explanation as well. I want to know why you feel the way that you do. Feel free to provide a YouTube video if you so wish to make your point! And as always, have fun with this!

** MODERATORS NOTE **

Please do not derail this thread by discussing the work Kurt did in WWE. This thread is not about his work there — it's about his work in TNA, and only TNA. Commenting on what he did elsewhere only side-tracks the discussion which ends up spamming these threads and hijacking them into conversations that have nothing to do with the OP.

Thanks.

— IDR

To me, it would have to his match with Mr. Anderson at last year's Lockdown which frankly, was the real Match of the Year. Now I realize that Angle has been putting on fantastic matches for a long time now and this one only barely stands out, but it's the timing of it that makes it such a standout in my mind. It was at a time where I was really questioning his heart and thinking that he was basically just living off of his name and getting a paycheck. I hadn't seen much effort from him in a long time but this match showed me that despite his obvious personal life issues, he still has it in him to put on some of the best matches in the world. It's something like this that would put him back on top in my opinion. If they would just quit with the over booking of this Jarrett feud and let them have an excellent match, he may be able to win me over again.

The moment that defined Kurt Angle in my mind was his series of matches with Chris Benoit. This was when I said to myself he's has to be the greatest wrestler of all time. I've been a big fan of Benoit for years before he got to the WWE and I had never seen someone match him whe intensity that Angle did. His promos against Benoit over their series of matches were classic. You can take his matches with Benoit and create a Wrestling 101 class with it. Kurt was just great. I hate watching him now because TNA keeps him these idiotic feuds. He's lost a step a lil. I hated to hear that he was planning on staying with TNA because he would have a definite career renaissance in the WWE.

Oh I forgot another moment that really stood out was in TNA; now this proved without a shadow of a doubt he was waaaaay over. The storyline when he held all the titles in TNA and the IWGP title. I was mind blowing to watch the story develop and him defending all the titles. Then he defended all the titles under the TNA banner at No Surrender 2007. Around that time I felt that Kurt was the greatest.

To me Angle's defining moment in TNA is the formation of the Main Event Mafia. When it first started off it was entertaining and the whole group just flatted out dominated, Angle included. The group worked so well together, though once Joe got involved it started to run its course. The tension between Sting and Angle was great and the TNA originals giving everything they could to take them down was good stuff as well. Everyone involved got a decent rub at the time and it helped them get more established in TNA. The eventually buildup for AJ Styles was key as well as it made AJ the true face of TNA.

In response to Da Truth, I would say his classic matches with Benoit defined A moment for Benoit more than it did Angle. I would think his defining moment would have to be his match with The Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania 21. This match will always go down as a instant classic and is the reason I bought Wrestlemania 21 on DVD (of course when it just got out on DVD). This will go down as his best match in his WWE history, and also ONE of HBK's. Not only did he steal the show, but he went over, which made it extra special.

Entry into TNA: While his matches against Anderson, Joe, Styles, Morgan and even Desmond Wolfe were great moments, I think that his sheer entry into TNA was a defining moment for both him as well as the company. Never before had a star of such magnitude ever come into the company and that too in his prime. That move singlehandedly made people take notice of TNA. Videos were aired of Kurt training in a six sided ring in September 2006 and that moment was announced as the moment of the year for TNA later that year. I still think that he remains TNA's greatest signing and that includes Hulk Hogan. I say this because he has some mainstream popularity and can still go in the ring like few others can.

Ending of MEM: This happened on the next show after Bound For Glory 2009. Basically Kurt came out and said that MEM was no more and that he had been wrong about the homegrown TNA stars. A lot of people felt that the MEM vs TNA Originals feud was shit but I really liked the ending. Kurt put talent over in a big way but even then he was not made to look weak. It was certainly a unique way of finishing off a stable.

TNA only eh? Well, for me, it's Kurt Angle v. Mr. Anderson in that steel cage match last year. I don't care what they say, that was TNA's match of the year. The technicality proved that both Anderson and Angle were pretty damn good wrestlers. Let me rephrase that: Anderson was a pretty decent wrestler, and Angle showed that he was the greatest technical wrestler perhaps i the entire world.

Sorry IDR, but that series he had with Chris Benoit was pretty damn good. I think it deserves to be brought up. Not trying to spam.

I think Kurts best moment in TNA was his first face to face showdown w/ Samoa Joe then out of nowhere Kurt hit Joe w/ that nasty headbutt & knockedout Joe. To be the first man that ended Joes streak was huge for TNA & Kurt to establish him as the man to take this company to the next level.

For me it has to be his matches with Desmond Wolfe. A well told story and excellent matches to support it.

I second Kurt's debut. The crowd went absolutley crazy for him and his headbutt to Joe was brilliant. The pull apart brawls, the fued was a hard hitting simple story of two men who wanted to simply be the very best in the world, which wrestling should mainly be about.

Angle jobbing to Joe in their rematch showed how he wanted to help the company and put over the TNA talent and not just himself was great.

There are 2 moments that stick out in my mind which just define Kurt Angle in TNA

1. The Debut

[YOUTUBE]MmRUAaYSfes[/YOUTUBE]

In the world on wrestling today, there are few surprises, with spoilers being given out on the Internet well before they air on TV, and so many leaks, making it difficult for a real shock to occur. However, TNA pulled off a HUGE bombshell when they announced the signing of Kurt Angle, just days after he was released from WWE and thought to be on the scrapheap. Jeff Jarrett made everyone who knew (and it was only a few people) sign confidentiality agreements to keep it secret.

It worked. Angle signing with TNA shocked everyone, and the reaction he got when he made his first appearance in the Impact Zone, showed just how big of a deal Kurt Angle is. In a small crowd, pretty much noone else could have got a reaction like the one Angle got. He was immediately THE MAN in TNA, and since then has lived up to that status time and time again. A true great.

2. The first confrontation with Samoa Joe

[YOUTUBE]fSxY3EycFbU[/YOUTUBE]

You can see the initial meeting between Angle and Joe in the above video.

The wrestling world was dying to see Angle take on Joe, and when the opportunity came knocking, TNA reacted immediately, having the 2 men have a confrontation as soon as possible. I loved the viciousness of the headbutt dished out by Angle to Joe. It was brutal, and that signified what this feud was going to be all about. Two of the most intense wrestlers in the business going at it. I thought this was perfectly done, one of the few things TNA did not mess up.

I gotta say that I don't watch TNA PPVs and I only started watching TNA around 2008 just before Samoa Joe won his first world title. That said, I think the moments that stood out to me the most would be his feud and matches with AJ Styles. Put these guys in the ring together and it's always magical. I fondly remember the match Angle had with Styles on the January 4th edition of Impact and I remember being on the edge of my seat for the entire match. It was what I saw as a PPV quality match being given on free tv. So as far as free tv goes, I think that was match of the year. Honorable mention goes to Angle's formation of the Main Event Mafia which led to the year long storyline that actually intrigued me the whole way through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back