• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dear WWE "2nd Generation Star" is NOT A GIMMICK!

nWo2

Fans Since Forever
:banghead:

Yesterday I sat and thought about one of my favorite gimmicks in the WWE Universe and the guy I THINK should beat The Undertaker's streak. Bray Wyatt.

I do not watch NXT, but once I saw his promos on YouTube having seen him in action as Husky Harris, you can see this unique character fits him and its MUCH better than "Husky Harris 2nd Generation Star" and it got me thinking.

The Rock - 3rd Generation star and he didn't get OVER until he dropped the Mavia from his name and turned heel

Goldust - 2nd Generation Star and a great worker, BUT he NEVER took off in any federation until he painted his face and did homosexual inferences and gestures. The gimmick was controversial, new and taboo.

Randy Orton - 2nd Generation star. Randy is a good wrestler and we as fans respect his HEEL work so much that we just respect HIM. But Randy Orton is the most BOOOORING big name in WWE because he has no gimmick and really never has. His most memorable runs were after Triple H gave him the :thumbsup:, Rated RKO (carried by Edge) and with Legacy. His promos are bland and he's very stale because he has no gimmick and "Legend Killer" or "The Viper" are not gimmicks. How can you be the apex predator in WWE as a face or even while Brock Lesnar is around.

Now lets get into the guys who's GIMMICK was/is that their dad was a wrestler and why nobody cares about them.

Ted DiBiase, Mike McGillicutty, The Usos, even Cody Rhodes & Alberto Del Rio are all guys who have limited gimmicks really because they have no gimmick outside of their dads used to wrestle for WWE.

I say Cody Rhodes because even though he's had success in WWE he tagged with DiBiase and MADE them look good, but tagged with Sandow he's more established and STILL plays second fiddle. Thats because Damien Sandow has a gimmick and puts effort into it and Cody's biggest splash in the last year is a toss up between beating up his big brother at Rumble and growing a mustache

Solution

If the WWE wants these guys to have longevity or relevancy they'll take them off television for a while and put Bray Wyatt on Smackdown and repackage them with an original gimmick, a ridiculous gimmick.... but ANYTHING is better than what it is currently and thats no gimmick at all.

Do you think this is a fair assesment of WWE's 2nd Generation Superstars? Do they need an overhaul or tweaks? The idea that being a 2nd/3rd Generation star is enough to get guys over is FALSE: Agree or disagree?

and you know how I know most of these guys were given the "Hey your Dad used to work here" rub is because for the most part all of their ring attires is the old school underwear, knee pads and elbow pad standard, but NOTHING to distinguish themselves from their parents besides cutting lame promos about, "I DONT LIKE MY DAD!"

Agree wholeheartedly. This one goes hand in hand with my "Cockiness isn't a gimmick" thing.

Hey, look, a cocky second generation heel wrestler....my, how original.

Between those two traits, you've probably described 75% of the WWE roster right now.

:banghead:

Yesterday I sat and thought about one of my favorite gimmicks in the WWE Universe and the guy I THINK should beat The Undertaker's streak. Bray Wyatt.

I do not watch NXT, but once I saw his promos on YouTube having seen him in action as Husky Harris, you can see this unique character fits him and its MUCH better than "Husky Harris 2nd Generation Star" and it got me thinking.

The Rock - 3rd Generation star and he didn't get OVER until he dropped the Mavia from his name and turned heel

Goldust - 2nd Generation Star and a great worker, BUT he NEVER took off in any federation until he painted his face and did homosexual inferences and gestures. The gimmick was controversial, new and taboo.

Randy Orton - 2nd Generation star. Randy is a good wrestler and we as fans respect his HEEL work so much that we just respect HIM. But Randy Orton is the most BOOOORING big name in WWE because he has no gimmick and really never has. His most memorable runs were after Triple H gave him the :thumbsup:, Rated RKO (carried by Edge) and with Legacy. His promos are bland and he's very stale because he has no gimmick and "Legend Killer" or "The Viper" are not gimmicks. How can you be the apex predator in WWE as a face or even while Brock Lesnar is around.

Now lets get into the guys who's GIMMICK was/is that their dad was a wrestler and why nobody cares about them.

Ted DiBiase, Mike McGillicutty, The Usos, even Cody Rhodes & Alberto Del Rio are all guys who have limited gimmicks really because they have no gimmick outside of their dads used to wrestle for WWE.

I say Cody Rhodes because even though he's had success in WWE he tagged with DiBiase and MADE them look good, but tagged with Sandow he's more established and STILL plays second fiddle. Thats because Damien Sandow has a gimmick and puts effort into it and Cody's biggest splash in the last year is a toss up between beating up his big brother at Rumble and growing a mustache

Solution

If the WWE wants these guys to have longevity or relevancy they'll take them off television for a while and put Bray Wyatt on Smackdown and repackage them with an original gimmick, a ridiculous gimmick.... but ANYTHING is better than what it is currently and thats no gimmick at all.

Do you think this is a fair assesment of WWE's 2nd Generation Superstars? Do they need an overhaul or tweaks? The idea that being a 2nd/3rd Generation star is enough to get guys over is FALSE: Agree or disagree?

I don't think WWE generally uses the 2nd generation thing as a gimmick as much as they're just giving people background on the wrestlers. The only two wrestlers I can think of lately who are 2nd generation guys that WWE has made any sort of effort to get over via use of their family history are DiBiase & Cody Rhodes. As part of Legacy, they were little more than Orton's low level flunkies. After they split and went on their own, you never really heard much made of Cody Rhodes' familial connection in wrestling. With DiBiase, they tried to make him come off as sort of the successor to the original Ted DiBiase, even had him carry around the Million Dollar Championship for a while. The problem with that, however, is that Jr. simply has no personality or charisma. He looks better and is more athletic than his father ever was, but the guy has no personality to speak of.

As for Del Rio, WWE has made mention of his wrestling heritage but really hasn't tried to incorporate it into his character. Del Rio's character was initially a Latino version of the Million Dollar Man with a better look & more athletic ability but not as much charisma. The only one who really mentions Del Rio's father, Dos Caras, is JBL and he doesn't really do that all that often. Same with The Usos really. They mention that they're Rikishi's sons every once in a while, but I don't think they've really gone into the deeper connection with The Usos being part of the Anoa'i family.

Being a 2nd generation guy doesn't automatically mean you're going to be a star, that's just not how it works. If nothing else, guys like The Usos & DiBiase & McGuillicutty can be used as talent enhancement. Every wrestling company has jobbers even to this day, they're just jobbers with theme music and some degree of characters.

i dont think it works as a gimmick if it's overexposed or they are used as cover copys of their fathers (example Dibiase Jr.), but the 2nd/3rd generation thing could work if pushed correctly, but they dont always use it as a gimmick. they did it with Ted Dibiase and Rock (at first) and that was pretty much it. the rest of the guys were told of their background and fathers, but it their gimmick wasnt sons of legend fathers. After Legacy, Cody Rhodes was given gimmicks of Dashing and Masked from hurt nose to intelligent. Orton was the Legend Killer and Future for Evolution. so it's not like WWE uses it as a gimmick all the time though they have in the past with some like Dibiase, but for Orton, they didnt use the fact that he's 3rd generation as a gimmick.

So you think Husky Harris should beat Undertaker's streak? One of the most dumb ideas ever.

No. Giving The Rock the Rocky Miavia gimmick was what held The Rock back. The Rock would have gotten over anyway whether he was called 3rd Generation star or not. He had exceptional mic skills.

Randy Orton - 2nd Generation star. Randy is a good wrestler and we as fans respect his HEEL work so much that we just respect HIM. But Randy Orton is the most BOOOORING big name in WWE because he has no gimmick and really never has. His most memorable runs were after Triple H gave him the , Rated RKO (carried by Edge) and with Legacy. His promos are bland and he's very stale because he has no gimmick and "Legend Killer" or "The Viper" are not gimmicks. How can you be the apex predator in WWE as a face or even while Brock Lesnar is around.

Randy Orton is a 3rd Generation star not 2nd generation.
"Legend Killer" was Randy Orton's gimmick. You don't always need ridiculous "over the top" characters to get over. Randy Orton was over back then and is still over no matter how bad of a babyface he is.

In Rated RKO Edge carried him? It was Orton who carried Edge. Both guys were great none the less.

Ted DiBiase, Mike McGillicutty, The Usos, even Cody Rhodes & Alberto Del Rio are all guys who have limited gimmicks really because they have no gimmick outside of their dads used to wrestle for WWE.Ted DiBiase, Mike McGillicutty, The Usos, even Cody Rhodes & Alberto Del Rio are all guys who have limited gimmicks really because they have no gimmick outside of their dads used to wrestle for WWE.

Just because they mention that someone is a 2nd generation or 3rd generation star does not mean its their GIMMICK. Also Alberto Del Rio had a gimmick.

Cody Rhodes had a gimmick. He had the "Dashing" Cody Rhodes gimmick in 2010 and after that he became "UnDashing" Cody Rhodes with the mask after that.

WWE doesn't care about tag-teams anyway. Sandow isn't over too. Just because IWC loves him doesn't mean he is "over". Damien Sandow's gimmick isn't anything new anyway.

Their are many others who have got over without needing any gimmick. Kevin Nash was bigger than Diesel (a gimmick), HHH is bigger than Hunter Hearst Helmsley (a gimmick), Steve Austin was bigger than "The Ringmaster". There are many others.

They will get over if WWE push them right. A good wrestler does not need a gimmick to get over like Dolph Ziggler, etc who got over without any gimmicks.

There are currently 16 second-generation wrestlers in WWE. Let's analyze each one:

1. Randy Orton- 9-time world champion and one of the most successful stars in the company. He was booked the correct way. He used being a second-generation wrestler to get over at the beginning and then created his own character to get over himself. I might not be his biggest fan, and you aren't either, but you have to be objective and see that Orton is a success story. Aside from the Rock, he is arguably the most successful 2nd-generation wrestler of all time.

2. Cody Rhodes- He has had a bunch of different gimmicks and they have ALL worked in my opinion. Dashing Cody Rhodes was hilarious, and Disfigured Cody Rhodes was incredible. Ever since he lost the mask, he has been a little directionless, but he's made up for it with some good feud with Big Show and Orton. While tagging with Sandow, he inherited that "Intellectually superior" gimmick for a while, which made The Rhodes Scholars interesting, but I'm glad he's back in singles competition.

3. Ted DiBiase- This guy has ALWAYS been bland on the mic. I was one of the few who thought Cody was always better than Ted, so I just never understand why people were so high on him during Legacy. He's bland, that's why he didn't work. It has nothing to do with WWE focusing on his heritage.

4. Alberto Del Rio- First of all, Dos Caras never wrestled for WWE and even so, Alberto has hardly ever incorporated his dad into his gimmick at all. Del Rio had a Mexican Aristocrat gimmick. That's as FAR from Dos Caras as he will ever be able to go.

5. Michael McGillicutty- Although he has mentioned it in a few promos, it's safe to say he has never incorporated his dad into his overall presentation as a character. Michael has a fake name just to avoid the comparison. He's underused, but I think this is a case where he can actually BENEFIT from being billed as a second-generation star.

6&7. Jimmy Uso and Jey Uso- The Usos are great. I really like that they play up their heritage. It gives them some babyface fire. Plus, that entrance is sweet. There's no complaints from me here except that WWE has severely underestimated their potential to be a top tag team.

8. Primo Colon- He's been teaming up with his cousin ever since Carlito left. There's not much to say here, except that he really isn't as interesting as his brother. He can definitely go in the ring, but I think he's better suited to the role he's playing right now.

9. Roman Reigns- He's the perfect example of a guy getting over without ever having to mention his dad. Roman is a beast and he doesn't need to be shown as Sika's son to get over.

10. Bo Dallas- I think Bo Dallas is one of the blandest and most boring wrestlers/characters/people I have ever seen in my life. Something about him just screams "Flip the channel". It has nothing to do with his gimmick. I can't see him doing ANYTHING that would make me even remotely interested.

11. Memo Montenegro- Del Rio's brother is showing some potential in developmental, but hardly enough to be worthy for the main roster. He's still got a long way to go, and until I see exactly what his strengths as a character are, I won't have an opinion on whether or not he should use 2nd-generation as part of his gimmick.

12. Richie Steamboat- I think he's severely overhyped, but he gets the job done. I can see him moving to the main roster, but I actually think it's best if they don't play up the connection to his father. He's never going to impress the way his father impressed people in the ring. Not yet anyway.

13. Bray Wyatt- Husky Harris was a fine gimmick, but Bray Wyatt blows it out of the water. Bray is probably the best gimmick right now and he should be moved to the main roster ASAP. Forget mentioning his parents, Bray is a once-in-a-lifetime type of character and WWE should capitalize on it.

14. Tamina- Tamina is fairly good in the ring, and I thought she really had potential as The Usos' valet. Too bad they split up, because she has been struggling to get over. Hopefully they find something for her soon.

15. Natalya- Natalya is fantastic, and although being connected to Jim won't really help her, I think playing up her connection to The Hart Foundation is a good idea. They need to focus on the fact that she's a great WRESTLER, and what better way to do it than putting over her as the nice of the Excellence of Execution.

16. Ashley Flair- Ashley has been fairly impressive and can definitely get over with her father as a manager. I don't see any negatives in presenting her as second-generation. In fact, I think Ric could not only help put over his daughter, but put over the diva's division as a whole.

So in conclusion, there are plenty of scenarios where "2nd-generation" is a good way to introduce a character, but they eventually have to stand out by themselves. Guys like Ted and Michael have yet to stand out on their own and that's why they failed, but guys like Cody and Randy have been able to use their 2nd-generation status and build on it with interesting gimmicks and character traits.

Randy Orton is a 3rd Generation star not 2nd generation.
"Legend Killer" was Randy Orton's gimmick. You don't always need ridiculous "over the top" characters to get over. Randy Orton was over back then and is still over no matter how bad of a babyface he is.

In Rated RKO Edge carried him? It was Orton who carried Edge. Both guys were great none the less.

Orton's so over he put people to sleep the RAW after WrestleMania.

As for Orton carrying Edge? Puff, puff, give, man...I want some of that stuff you're smoking.

Just because they mention that someone is a 2nd generation or 3rd generation star does not mean its their GIMMICK.

You're missing the point. Most of these guys wouldn't even be there if they weren't 2nd generation stars. Also, 2nd, 3rd...who gives a crap. If you don't think it matters, why are you buying into this idea that Orton being a 3rd generation star matters at all? There's an obvious bias in favor of giving guys who have the right last name shots on the roster despite their lack of talent. And yes, the only gimmick most of these guys get are that they are some other wrestler's kid.

Their are many others who have got over without needing any gimmick. Kevin Nash was bigger than Diesel (a gimmick), HHH is bigger than Hunter Hearst Helmsley (a gimmick), Steve Austin was bigger than "The Ringmaster". There are many others.

They will get over if WWE push them right. A good wrestler does not need a gimmick to get over like Dolph Ziggler, etc who got over without any gimmicks.

Some guys get over without needing a gimmick, but two out of the three got over initially by having the gimmick before having the drawing power to just trade on their name. Kevin Nash could only become Kevin Nash after ditching the WWE and the Diesel and hopping the fence to WCW. Scott Hall, for instance, NEVER got over as himself though he wrestled in AWA and NWA as Scott Hall long before he was ever Razor Ramon. After Razor, he could wrestle as Scott Hall and still be popular.

The point is most guys need a gimmick.

BTW, if you think STONE COLD Steve Austin isn't a gimmick, I don't know what to say.

There are currently 16 second-generation wrestlers in WWE. Let's analyze each one:

1. Randy Orton- 9-time world champion and one of the most successful stars in the company. He was booked the correct way. He used being a second-generation wrestler to get over at the beginning and then created his own character to get over himself. I might not be his biggest fan, and you aren't either, but you have to be objective and see that Orton is a success story. Aside from the Rock, he is arguably the most successful 2nd-generation wrestler of all time.

2. Cody Rhodes- He has had a bunch of different gimmicks and they have ALL worked in my opinion. Dashing Cody Rhodes was hilarious, and Disfigured Cody Rhodes was incredible. Ever since he lost the mask, he has been a little directionless, but he's made up for it with some good feud with Big Show and Orton. While tagging with Sandow, he inherited that "Intellectually superior" gimmick for a while, which made The Rhodes Scholars interesting, but I'm glad he's back in singles competition.

3. Ted DiBiase- This guy has ALWAYS been bland on the mic. I was one of the few who thought Cody was always better than Ted, so I just never understand why people were so high on him during Legacy. He's bland, that's why he didn't work. It has nothing to do with WWE focusing on his heritage.

4. Alberto Del Rio- First of all, Dos Caras never wrestled for WWE and even so, Alberto has hardly ever incorporated his dad into his gimmick at all. Del Rio had a Mexican Aristocrat gimmick. That's as FAR from Dos Caras as he will ever be able to go.

5. Michael McGillicutty- Although he has mentioned it in a few promos, it's safe to say he has never incorporated his dad into his overall presentation as a character. Michael has a fake name just to avoid the comparison. He's underused, but I think this is a case where he can actually BENEFIT from being billed as a second-generation star.

6&7. Jimmy Uso and Jey Uso- The Usos are great. I really like that they play up their heritage. It gives them some babyface fire. Plus, that entrance is sweet. There's no complaints from me here except that WWE has severely underestimated their potential to be a top tag team.

8. Primo Colon- He's been teaming up with his cousin ever since Carlito left. There's not much to say here, except that he really isn't as interesting as his brother. He can definitely go in the ring, but I think he's better suited to the role he's playing right now.

9. Roman Reigns- He's the perfect example of a guy getting over without ever having to mention his dad. Roman is a beast and he doesn't need to be shown as Sika's son to get over.

10. Bo Dallas- I think Bo Dallas is one of the blandest and most boring wrestlers/characters/people I have ever seen in my life. Something about him just screams "Flip the channel". It has nothing to do with his gimmick. I can't see him doing ANYTHING that would make me even remotely interested.

11. Memo Montenegro- Del Rio's brother is showing some potential in developmental, but hardly enough to be worthy for the main roster. He's still got a long way to go, and until I see exactly what his strengths as a character are, I won't have an opinion on whether or not he should use 2nd-generation as part of his gimmick.

12. Richie Steamboat- I think he's severely overhyped, but he gets the job done. I can see him moving to the main roster, but I actually think it's best if they don't play up the connection to his father. He's never going to impress the way his father impressed people in the ring. Not yet anyway.

13. Bray Wyatt- Husky Harris was a fine gimmick, but Bray Wyatt blows it out of the water. Bray is probably the best gimmick right now and he should be moved to the main roster ASAP. Forget mentioning his parents, Bray is a once-in-a-lifetime type of character and WWE should capitalize on it.

14. Tamina- Tamina is fairly good in the ring, and I thought she really had potential as The Usos' valet. Too bad they split up, because she has been struggling to get over. Hopefully they find something for her soon.

15. Natalya- Natalya is fantastic, and although being connected to Jim won't really help her, I think playing up her connection to The Hart Foundation is a good idea. They need to focus on the fact that she's a great WRESTLER, and what better way to do it than putting over her as the nice of the Excellence of Execution.

16. Ashley Flair- Ashley has been fairly impressive and can definitely get over with her father as a manager. I don't see any negatives in presenting her as second-generation. In fact, I think Ric could not only help put over his daughter, but put over the diva's division as a whole.

So in conclusion, there are plenty of scenarios where "2nd-generation" is a good way to introduce a character, but they eventually have to stand out by themselves. Guys like Ted and Michael have yet to stand out on their own and that's why they failed, but guys like Cody and Randy have been able to use their 2nd-generation status and build on it with interesting gimmicks and character traits.

I just noticed I forgot Haku's son, Camacho. I guess that shows how much of an impression he's had on me.

Being a 2nd generation superstar is a gimmick in it's own right. That's not to say that it's a fresh gimmick, or that it is always a necessary gimmick, but it does serve a purpose.

When a talents lineage within the business is pushed, it bridges the gap for new fans as well as old. It also gives talent that WWE may not have a firm direction for yet, an identity and marketability right out of the gate.

No talent should rest their entire career on being 2nd or 3rd generation, as that's just coattail riding, but it does work. You look at Cody Rhodes, Randy Orton, Alberto Del Rio, and countless others...using that lineage has an advantage. If you don't believe me, ask Joe Hennig. He's one of the best talents on the WWE roster, and he's the son of one of the best talents has ever had. You can't tell me that Joe Hennig being Joe Hennig rather than Michael McGuillicutty wouldn't instantly improve his standing on a card, or his overall visibility and recognition with the overall WWE audience.

The idea that being a 2nd/3rd Generation star is enough to get guys over is FALSE: Agree or disagree?
Its not enough, but it helps. :)

DiBiase is still in the company because of it, othervise he would be gone long time ago. Heck, I even thought that he might even make it when they gave him that Million Dollar Championship. :)

This thread will go nowhere, look you have to make a new talent appeal to the masses. Wrestling fans appreciate lineage and instantly notice a man whose lineage boasts of wrestling blood. The Legends of Wrestling: Families episode very nicely shows how wrestling lineage works for and against a new talent, but the fact of the matter is, the cream will always rise to the top.

Ted Dibiasie Sr. says in that same episode how you will get a look because of your wrestling dads but to succeed, brother, you gotta work on the basics.

SO yes 2nd generation is a good break-in gimmick for young wrestlers, but only if they can carry it somewhat in their embryotic stage.

I think the part in bold is the key. For some guys, they'd really be much better off developing their own gimmick and personality and then debuting without any formal acknowledgement whatsoever of their lineage. These days, most fans know if a guy's father or grandfather was a former wrestler, so mentioning it isn't really necessary and certainly doesn't add to the character.

The biggest problem with namedropping a wrestler's lineage is immediately setting the bar at a certain height. If you repeatedly trumpet that Michael McGillicutty is Mr. Perfect's son, then you've set him up for failure because people are going to want him to be Mr. Perfect. It's nice if wrestlers want to "honor thy father" or whatever, but wrestling is really about setting yourself apart.

I got to admit Bray Wyatt does look like he's got something distinctive to offer. He moves really well for a big guy, and looks like he's building a good character. It's reminds me a lot of Waylon Mercy, which is fine with me since Mercy didn't last long and never really got an opportunity to take off.

Being a 2nd generation superstar is a gimmick in it's own right. That's not to say that it's a fresh gimmick, or that it is always a necessary gimmick, but it does serve a purpose.

Whats the purpose?

When a talents lineage within the business is pushed, it bridges the gap for new fans as well as old. It also gives talent that WWE may not have a firm direction for yet, an identity and marketability right out of the gate.

The problem is that the WWE doesn't even eventually give them any type of direction except developmental hell. This is primarily because like The Usos, Hart Foundation and Legacy they're introduced and we're supposed to make the link and THEY don't take the gimmick much further for example. Cody Rhodes gimmick has been tweaked to "Dashing" (which means cocky heel) to masked (which meant he wore a mask and talked slower), but neither is a new gimmick or much of a change at all. Now we have to wonder why Cody is on WWE Main Event; its because his character without Legacy has no direction. Its only a credit to Cody's in-ring ability that he's on television unlike DiBiase

If you don't believe me, ask Joe Hennig. He's one of the best talents on the WWE roster, and he's the son of one of the best talents has ever had. You can't tell me that Joe Hennig being Joe Hennig rather than Michael McGuillicutty wouldn't instantly improve his standing on a card, or his overall visibility and recognition with the overall WWE audience.

If Joe Hennig used his government name or dubbed himself "Joe Perfect" then he'd get a pop. Reusing your dad's gimmick is lazy, but STILL an upgrade from "My dad was a wrestler so I'm a natural" gimmick. He'd get a pop because his dad is dead and was one of the most beloved wrestlers.

If Joe Hennig was given an original gimmick that was far from his dad's gimmick ala Alberto Del Rio then we can see if he has any talent. If Joe Hennig came out as a masked wrestler like Suicide or Blue Blazer then we could see his value and talent by creating something drastically different from the legacy his dad left.

My original point is that WWE introduces these guys as 2nd & 3rd generation stars to get some cheap pops, but when it comes to character building THESE are the guys who don't have much to go on because they WERE GIVEN LIMITED GIMMICKS.... and being a legacy wrestler is so limited and prevalent now that to most WWE fans and smarks alike wont write home about it.... EVER!
:icon_neutral::disappointed:

So you think Husky Harris should beat Undertaker's streak? One of the most dumb ideas ever.

Husky Harris had a forgettable run in WWE already because he wasn't given any gimmicks.

Bray Wyatt is one of the most intriguing characters that I've seen since Mankind. Undertaker set the bar, but Goldust, Kane and Mankind have all successfully done so. Undertaker's known for facing the giants and monsters of WWE including Kamala, Giant Gonzales. The guy who breaks the streak will need to be someone young that WWE can build around for years, someone who can match Undertaker's ferocity and unique character to build an epic feud.

Bray Wyatt is a leery Southern preacher who just rubs your the wrong way. His character can be great heel or face, but potentially really devious especially if he takes some plays from Taker's book. THATs why I think he can do it!

No. Giving The Rock the Rocky Miavia gimmick was what held The Rock back. The Rock would have gotten over anyway whether he was called 3rd Generation star or not. He had exceptional mic skills.

So the fact that his Grandfather's last name and dad's name was given to him along with a pseudo-Samoan gimmick and tassles held him back. You don't say?

Thanks for agreeing with me, you're a genius because you agreed so hard that you thought you disagreed with me.

Now IF ONLY the WWE would take The Usos and do something useful like put them in a stable like The Nation of Domination, drop the pseudo-Samoan gimmick and an actual tagteam name instead of their last names maybe they'd have a shot.

Besides that at the time NOBODY knew The Rock had mic skills until he was injured by Mankind and returned HEEL to feud with Stone Cold & Ken Shamrock and take over The Nation

Kevin Nash was OVER because of his work as Diesel. Diesel was over soon as he powerbombed Shawn Michaels or maybe when he won the belt in 8 seconds or maybe when he attacked Sid after Sid powerbombed HBK, but either way he was over before he went to WCW same with Scott Hall/Razon Ramon

Triple H got over when DX was formed, but once HBK left he EXPANDED DX and THAT angle got them ALL OVER AGAIN! Lightning struck twice and for Triple H his gimmick changed when he joined DX after that he didn't NEED to do anything, but tweak his gimmick. He was in the right place at the right time with the right friends in the right places.

Stone Cold got over because he gave one hell of a promo at KOTR and changed his gimmick from Ted Dibiase's (the same unsuccessful one Ted Jr's used and STILL hasn't changed) to his own along with feuds with Hitman, HBK & Vince who WOULDN'T be over?

"My daddy wrestled so I'm going to" isn't a gimmick, but being a second generation star could be. What if the gimmick is trying to impress/live up to the legacy of their dad, become a bigger star than their father or whatever.
Heck, it could even be a legacy feud. "I'm going to do what my dad never could, beat The Undertaker" or whatever.

Of the men we now call legends, a lot were 2nd gen... Randy Savage, Jake Roberts, Mr. Perfect, Bret Hart Ted DiBiase and It's important to recognize that there was a time 2nd generation WAS a gimmick and several names used it although not for long. The best quickly found their own way. Curt Hennig was initially "Larry's kid" rather than his own man, Ted DiBiase started out as the son of Iron Mike and of course the Von Erich boys were the definition of the gimmick meanwhile David Sammartino didn't go quite as he was literally put with his dad, who didn't retire out of obligation to help him.

DiBiase is an interesting case, his family was known mainly because his father was the "guy who died in the ring". The talents of the day knew Ted and helped him get into the business and he used the connection initially, but quickly he developed his own personality and his 2nd gen status was forgotten.

Jake Roberts is another example, he had siblings who didn't do as well but all 3 made the WWF and Rockin' Robin won the womens title. Not one of them was ever acknowledged as 2nd Gen or the kids of Grizzly Smith and the information wasn't out there.

The difficulty today is that the info of who is related is out there before they even start a basic wiki search would tell you that Bray Wyatt's mom is Barry Windham's sister - thus both Bray and Bo Dallas are 3rd Gen as their grandad was Blackjack Mulligan. Thus WWE is in a tough spot, if they acknowledge it then they have the 3rd gen gimmick. If they ignore it then it's "disrespecting" their family legacy. It's a tough call to make, for what it's worth Bray is perhaps the most exciting of the 3rd or 2nd gen gimmicks to come along in a while - they use references like "my dad was a sailor" and his dad played "Captain Mike" so keep with it... it seems it might work.

Being a 2nd generation star is a great attribute that can establish legitimacy, but only if the superstar can back up his family lineage. The Rock's family success carried over to the latest generation. The past Mavia generations were known for their in ring ability and charisma, The Rock just proved that the gene pool wasnt tainted. It worked with Randy Orton because of the Legend Killer gimmick. The fans wanted to see him surpass his father's success and Randy did so rather quickly. You are correct, however, that it's not a gimmick. Its the reason I havent cared about Joe...Michael... *sigh* Curtis Axel. I dont care if Mr. Perfect slept with his mother (I'm sorry if that sounds a bit crude) but give me something that makes me want him on my television week after week or I'm not buying it.

I Agree somewhat,
The Wrestlers have no gimmicks,
but i say "Nothing Special"
if "Viper" aint a gimmick.
then "Human Wrecking Ball" aint one either.
and look how Lesnar has gotten over alot.
This "Daddy's little boys and girl" has gotten way out of line.
anyone who's dad wrestled gets a contract.
I Have No Respect for any 2nd or 3rd or 4th generation.
they only got a contract cause of their dad.
lets say cody rhodes would've been born in a non wrestling family.
cody wouldve never made it in a millon years.
you got people trying to make it in the business cause they love the show.
or their a fan, or its their dream. and the "Daddy's boys" make it cause of their daddy. its annoying. look at someone like wade barrett then look at ted dibaise. Tell me which one deserves to be there and who doesnt.
also in a few years wwe will have signed "actors" to be wrestlers.
i can see wwe paying some out of work actor to be a raw gm for about 4 months.
it all comes down to wwe and tna and even roh for that matter.
would rather have a bunch of daddy's boys. then real pro wrestlers.
after a few years no one will remeber their dad. and nobody will remeber them.

Being a 2nd generation star is a great attribute that can establish legitimacy, but only if the superstar can back up his family lineage. The Rock's family success carried over to the latest generation. The past Mavia generations were known for their in ring ability and charisma, The Rock just proved that the gene pool wasnt tainted. It worked with Randy Orton because of the Legend Killer gimmick. The fans wanted to see him surpass his father's success and Randy did so rather quickly. You are correct, however, that it's not a gimmick. Its the reason I havent cared about Joe...Michael... *sigh* Curtis Axel. I dont care if Mr. Perfect slept with his mother (I'm sorry if that sounds a bit crude) but give me something that makes me want him on my television week after week or I'm not buying it.

In Axel's case you have to bear in mind that he is not trying to emulate his father, nor is WWE sending him that way. Physically and in ring style he is far closer to his grandpa, Larry the Ax - with the beard he is virtually a doppleganger.

In Rock's case and arguably for the Rotunda boys as well there are two families known for wrestling who combined, so those guys have inherently more of an advantage either in genetics or lineage in the ring.

Someone like Cody Rhodes benefited as much from Dustin as he did from Dusty. Having Dustin on the roster gave Cody that "in", that he could go backstage, meet those who mattered and get "scouted" and even if Dusty later came to WWE - Dustin was always held in high regard by the boys and having an older brother to help you adjust to life in the business and who gets goodwill from the boys will help you more than your daddy being a multi-time world champ.

You are slightly wrong about the legitimacy, being 2nd or 3rd gen gives you an advantage to get in to the business and to perhaps get a leg up over the competition when you do debut but the legitimacy comes from being able to run with that chance and become a valuable commodity in your own right, surpassing family members is a bonus if it happens.

Take Randy Orton, while his dad and grandpa were famous, they were not main eventers to the level Randy became. Randy will go down as the most successful and famous Orton because he was able to create his own legacy and success, exactly what Axel was talking about on Monday. Sure Bob Jr. did get involved for a while, but also damaged his chances with the Hep C/Taker debacle. That could have done for Randy but the fans didn't care if he surpassed Bob Jr or not, he got over for being himself and his dad played a footnote role rather than a major part.

Dusty Rhodes will always have his legacy, but Dustin went out and created his own with Goldust and now Cody is successfully doing the same. When you see Cody on TV you don't see Dusty's kid or Goldust's lil bro but a legit superstar who has far surpassed what was expected of him when Legacy folded.

Someone like Curtis Axel doesn't have the benefit of his dad or grandpa being "in the WWE system" just that Curt was particularly well loved by the fans and those with clout who did know him. What Heyman said about it being an albatross is also very true as he's damned either way. Much is being made of him being Trips' "pet project" as a negative thing, but who was it who "managed" HHH to his first IC title?... Mr. Perfect, so it's natural that he would want to do all he could to help the son of the guy who helped him learn the ropes and get over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back