• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Daylight Saving Time

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
We all know about it, some are annoyed about it, the time change has come once again. Daylight Saving Time ended for 2013 in the US as of November 3rd. I personally am part of the group that is annoyed by it and find it to be mostly pointless. Do we even need Daylight Saving Time? Why go through all the trouble of changing clocks twice a year when it can just be done away with?

800px-DaylightSaving-World-Subdivisions.png

This is a map of the world. The regions in blue use Daylight Saving Time. The orange regions no longer use it, and the red regions never did. It would be one thing if the entire world practiced the use of Daylight Saving Time, but the truth is that the majority of the world does not participate in it. So why should it remain in use? I have been told before that it is for the sake of the farmers. Ok, great. Not all of us are farmers though. Why can't they just wake up earlier/later (depending on time of year) like the farmers in countries/states who do not participate do? I think it should be done away with worldwide. It serves no purpose in the modern world other than frustration for those who do not wish to change their clocks.

How do you feel about Daylight Saving Time? Do you like it, dislike it, or are you neutral? Why?

Should it be removed completely or should more countries/states participate? Why or why not?

Discuss! :)

I suppose I'd get rid of it, yet it really isn't a big enough deal to make a fuss over.....which is probably why no one is mobilizing forces to do it.

For me, alarm clocks with ringing buzzers are useless; I awaken by an internal clock that never fails me. Never, that is, except during these silly one-hour time changes. But if that's the worst problem I ever have in my life, I'll consider myself very lucky.

Have to admit, at the end of March when we are coming out of Winter and go back to Eastern Standard time , it's always nice to suddenly see that extra hour of daylight in the late afternoon.

Might as well look at the bright side.

I'm in the minority here (I'm guessing) but I'm actually a fan of it. At the end of the day it is kind of pointless as we just end up back where we started but I do think its a good idea. I know in Alberta it gets real dark real quick around the winter time and if it wasn't for daylight savings time you would pretty much be in the dark all the time. You will always have the same number of hours in the sunlight regardless but daylight saving time at least adjusts the time so to increase your chances of getting a little more sunshine in your day. Even if its an extra hour a day I get to see the sun I would much rather have that than to live half my life in darkness. If there was no daylight savings time I would just get that extra sunshine in the morning but I prefer it after my work day is done, not before. Coming outside and seeing the sun after a long day of work is an upper for me.

Whether it stays or goes doesn't really matter. It doesn't hurt anything to get rid of it, it will get rid of the lag that comes with daylight savings time and if it was up to me I would get rid of it just because it seems to cause more headaches for the masses but from a personal standpoint I'm all for it.

I'm against this. I honestly don't see the point in this. We changed our clocks 5 days ago here in the UK, and I find it depressing to be honest. When I wake up at seven in the morning, it's still dark and gloomy and before you know it, it gets dark less than 12 hours later. When I leave school late whatever reason (get over it), it's already pitch black. It's ironic that we change the clocks right before the winters as well, making the general atmosphere dull and down. It is for farmers, but like Dagger said, they should be the ones to wake up earlier whenever they wish, instead of causing hassle to several people in the western hemisphere. Not that it's happened to me, but I know people that have forgotten about the time changes, affecting their day. I reckon this should be stopped in all countries, which I suppose would please the majority and give us an extra hour of daylight.

I believe the original intent of this was simply for convenience. The time shift allows for more daylight hours during people's standard activities where they would be outside or traveling. However, I also believe another good proponent for this is lighter skies in the mornings for the school children who are flocking around during this time. Between all the buses and the morning traffic, the earlier daylight allows them to spot children who many are still not cautious enough to not walk out into the street and look both ways first.

I know people who don't like Daylight Saving Time see it as an inconvenience because they have to change their schedules around, but think about what it does for the people who don't know any better. Do you want to be that person who hits a child because it's dark and you didn't see them? I know I don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back