• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Davey Richards Wants Michael Elgin in TNA

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
You can watch/listen to the whole interview here:

[YOUTUBE]K0AiaDFxo3I[/YOUTUBE]

Someone He’d like to See in TNA:

Michael Elgin. I would definitely like to see Michael Elgin. And you never know, you just might. I’m going to leave that at that but that’s definitely the one person I had a lot of fun working with and have a lot of respect for.

--

Well, this is certainly interesting, to say the least. At least from the perspective of how cryptic Richards is about the question.

Admittedly, I haven't watched the ROH product in years, so my knowledge and insight on Elgin is about as deep as anyone elses who immediately goes down a YouTube and Google Images rabbit hole to better their understanding of the performer, but I do know that his name is one that I've seen discussed in the past — certainly in the context of who fans would like to see brought in. In fact, I think he was probably listed in the last thread we had on who MVP should bring in, as part of this talent initiative, or whatever he was calling it, in coming into TNA as the investor just a few months ago.

There's more to the interview about his singles aspirations, why he chose TNA over WWE, etc. but I really found this particular question and answer most interesting, as TNA has reset the company to a point that new talent debuts might be the next step here in really re-establishing their product again coming out of the Hogan/Bischoff recovery.

Thoughts?

I actually feel like Elgin to TNA is a very real option in the future.

I know that Elgin, like most, wants a look from the WWE, but I'm not sure a full level of mutual interest will ever exist. The WWE has plenty of newer guys that they are just scratching the surface with who share Elgin's body type. As long as the WWE still sees a future in guys like Rusev and Big E., I'm not sure where Elgin would fit for them. Hell a guy like Big E. for example has loads more charisma than Elgin has, even if Elgin is a thousand times the worker. Elgin going to WWE, like Rusev, would be just another big strong guy who needs a mouthpiece.

But he could work in TNA. He might still need a mouthpiece at first, but his look wouldn't be as much of a hindrance in TNA. And there is no one on the roster like Elgin, and definitely no one who can match his strength. Hell there may not be a wrestler in the world who can match Elgin's combo of strength and technical in-ring ability. The guy is a special talent who is capable of delivering MOTY candidates every time he goes out there and is given time against a guy who can work.

The one issue I see is that TNA had better not be in a hurry if they want to acquire Elgin. I would wager there is no chance that Elgin walks away from ROH without first receiving his long deserved title run. Elgin has entered into "Tyler Black" or "Davey Richards" territory now where the company has probably stubbornly waited far too long to put the belt on him, but at least they have a better excuse this time around, as Cole was clearly ready for his shot too and has been great with the strap.

I'd say if TNA can build momentum for the rest of 2014, and continues to show that they are willing to push deserving ROH talent that they bring in(continuing to treat the Wolves with the strong booking respect they deserve would be a good start), then I'd say if WWE overlooks Elgin then TNA could be a very realistic landing place for him several months to a year down the line.

And just for you to get the chance to see him perform at his top level IDR(or any other TNA fans around who aren't familiar with Elgin's work), here is a matchup with Richards from WrestleMania weekend two years ago that many consider the best match of either man's career:

Elgin also just had an amazing match with AJ Styles that aired on ROH TV a couple weeks ago, and you can watch it free on their website. Those two also have an upcoming rematch to earn an ROH world title shot.

I've been a proponent of Elgin's for a couple years now, and it's possible he could end up in TNA in the future, but not the near future. He's on a main event level in ROH and I'm not sure if he's gonna be the champ anytime soon, yet it's something I'd like to see happen. Plus he's recently formed a stable with up-and-comers Raymond Rowe and Hanson. That might need some time to develop. Still he could make a good mid-carder in TNA when the time is right. He has
a lot of years ahead of him.

i would love to see Elgin join TNA. I've been a fan of his wrestling since I started watching ROH. (only about a year ago). So many potential matches that could be really exciteing to watch. Elgin vs. Roode, Storm & Gunner just to name a few.

I just wish he would cut that damn mullet.

Michael Elgin reminds me a lot of Mike Awesome. Same finisher too. Though more intensity than athleticism. This man is in my eyes the only good talent ROH has right now. For some unexplained reason he was given a huge push into the main event scene early last year that still is going on today but for some unforeseen reason they haven't bothered putting the World title on him. Might have something to do with having #1 Contenders up the wazoo and never ending their stories but I digress.

He has the look of a tough guy just like Ryback and Big E. He moves in the ring at a solid pace and can put on solid performances. I'm not sure how good on the mic he is, but to be honest if Bobby Lashley can generate a pop despite looking like a Battletoad and sounding like a Ninja Turtle, Elgin should have no problem fitting into TNA as a powerhouse. Hell, he'll do far better what they wanted to do with Hernandez and Rob Terry.

For some unexplained reason he was given a huge push into the main event scene early last year that still is going on today but for some unforeseen reason they haven't bothered putting the World title on him.

It's because he came up the same time as Adam Cole. Had Adam Cole not existed he would be ROH World Champion, sadly for Elgin, Cole exists, and as is the general consensus, Cole is the right person to be holding the title nowadays.

As for Elgin joining TNA, not going to happen. Not my opinion. His.

In an AMA on Reddit somebody asked Elgin if he never got into WWE and TNA came calling would he ever go, and he said, "Probably not, I'd just stay in ROH, it's where I'm happy." Shit can always change, but Elgin also said only two days ago that he was in negotiations with ROH to extend his contract.

He'd be a great pick up for TNA, no doubt - in fact, if Michael Elgin debuted tomorrow night, I'd go as far as to say he'd instantly be in the top three wrestlers on the entire roster - sadly for TNA and Davey's little, "I want revenge on ROH for firing me" pipedream, Elgin's priorities are elsewhere.

It's because he came up the same time as Adam Cole. Had Adam Cole not existed he would be ROH World Champion, sadly for Elgin, Cole exists, and as is the general consensus, Cole is the right person to be holding the title nowadays.

I get that. Cole's good talent too. But a short run in the middle is easily more than enough for Elgin.

As for Elgin joining TNA, not going to happen. Not my opinion. His.

In an AMA on Reddit somebody asked Elgin if he never got into WWE and TNA came calling would he ever go, and he said, "Probably not, I'd just stay in ROH, it's where I'm happy." Shit can always change, but Elgin also said only two days ago that he was in negotiations with ROH to extend his contract.
He'd be a great pick up for TNA, no doubt - in fact, if Michael Elgin debuted tomorrow night, I'd go as far as to say he'd instantly be in the top three wrestlers on the entire roster - sadly for TNA and Davey's little, "I want revenge on ROH for firing me" pipedream, Elgin's priorities are elsewhere.

I wouldn't say it'll never happen. Davey said similar things previously as have others. One thing is for sure in wrestling and that's never say never.

ROH don't really do "short runs", especially for a guy like Elgin. People see a Samoa Joe run down the line for Elgin, where he just beats the holy hell out of everyone as champion. Short runs are for guys like Eddie Edwards, who people loved in ROH but he was never really "over" per-say, or Jerry Lynn, a legend who they just wanted to give a small reward of sorts to for all he'd done.

And yeah, that's why I said, "shit can change", but for now Elgin's pretty much ROH through and through.

I like Michael Elgin, but I think he can do better (for the moment) in ROH than in TNA. Heck maybe he goes to Global Force if that place and its money take off. ROH can take you right into NXT and WWE. TNA cant do that for the most part.

If TNA is were to try & bring Elgin in, which would be a good move on their part, then they should also go after his wife, the KO division could greatly benefit from having someone as talented as MsChif on the roster.

If TNA is were to try & bring Elgin in, which would be a good move on their part, then they should also go after his wife, the KO division could greatly benefit from having someone as talented as MsChif on the roster.
The problem there is that MsChif works as a Microbiologist and is very respected in her field. She only wrestles as a side gig.

I doubt she'd be able to work TNA's tapings or event schedule in with that. Picking and choosing some random weekend indy dates is far more doable for her.

Not to mention, shes not wrestling at all right now because she's pregnant. And Maria has said ROH is allowing her to head a Women of Honor division so when MsChif returns, being the former top female in ROH, she'll probably resume that role. Unless they can bring Cheerleader Melissa back, or get Ivelisse Velez in, which would be doubtful due to Gabe.

I don't know much about Elgin or Devitt, they both look like talented guys that deserve a shot. My only worry is that TNA struggles to get the talent they currently have over with the TV time they have.

I don't know much about Elgin or Devitt, they both look like talented guys that deserve a shot. My only worry is that TNA struggles to get the talent they currently have over with the TV time they have.

I get what you're saying, and with the bloated rosters that the company has had in the past I think that was a valid criticism; however, I think now that's a dated concern.

It seems that TNA's slimmed down roster and more focused storytelling has allowed them to give a more clear direction to all of the talent that is being featured. I wouldn't expect TNA to debut any talent at this point that they didn't have a plan in place for.

I get what you're saying, and with the bloated rosters that the company has had in the past I think that was a valid criticism; however, I think now that's a dated concern.

It seems that TNA's slimmed down roster and more focused storytelling has allowed them to give a more clear direction to all of the talent that is being featured. I wouldn't expect TNA to debut any talent at this point that they didn't have a plan in place for.

I'm not sure about it being a "dated concern". I may be wrong but I don't think Sabin was at the last tapings and I wouldn't be surprised if Hernandez gets his pink slip soon as he hasn't been used either, Bad Influence contract is running out too.

I do agree with you that the trimmed roster has helped the storytelling. I think the time they spent recapping last weeks Impact & backstage skits could be trimmed, this could fit another match in.

I think TNA has a good and solid crop of wrestlers in their roster and their number one priority right now should be to create some new and fresh stars, but in a good logical way. Think it through in every aspect of the storylines and improve the product with the guys you already have - if the time slot isn't enough for all the content you are trying to put, simply reduce it or go digital and use the powerful tool that is the Internet.

Michael Elgin would be a great addition but I don't see him wanting to go in as he does have a solid slot on ROH's roster and with his lighter schedule, he's able to do some indy events and make some money. WWE is indeed full with guys like Elgin but his workrate could convince Triple H and the officials as WWE's position has been changing and wanting to have a more action-thriven product. In TNA he would be top three no doubt in that aspect and would be a good opponent to everyone, but unless TNA puts their shit together and keep on this role after the "reset" and really focus on improving their shows, I don't see any reason for Elgin to move. He's one of ROH's favorites and will be a World Champion when the time is right.

With the right manager I could see him being TNA's Brock Lesnar, but imagine a better worker right of the bat. Could we see it? Yes. Are we? Unlikely. Really looking forward to see how TNA's doing after Lockdown later tonight.

Elgin would be a hell of a tallent for any company to have on there Roster, and I think he would fit in perfectly on the TNA roster, there really is nobody else like him at the moment in the Company and his Style of wrestling would also be more suited to TNA then WWE and I can also see him having some awsome matches with guys like Gunner, Roode and Joe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back