• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dave's Look At The GoW3 Beta

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As you may know, I have been looking forward to this for a long while now. It still annoys me that I would be playing the full game right about now if Epic weren't such bastards to continually delay the game whilst it sits finished in a warehouse somewhere. That being said, the Beat test is upon us and I must thank Blue Chipper (the poster) for giving me an exclusive code to play the Beta with. I will pre-order the game later in the year but right now, there was no need for me to.

So, let's have a look at one of the most wanted games of the year in my look at the Beta for Gears Of War 3.

Firstly, it is worth noting that there is no inconsistencies in the Beta when it comes to lagging out. I have played a few matches now and there has been no lag whatsoever. The last game was terrible for lag when you were playing with a full lobby. Yes, Epic may have tried to compensate for it later on in the day but by then the game had completely worn off of me. The lag has always been a problem for Gears and it is awesome that they have managed to fix it for the Beta. My hope is that they keep the same level of maintenance up so that we can play uninterrupted.

Secondly, the game-play is just so much better. Maybe it is because I am playing with other people who obviously love the series but everything seems a whole lot friendlier in this game. There is no point rushing to one spot or being a dick to your team-mates because it will get you nowhere. No, in this one, there seems to be a bigger grasp on teamwork and that is always welcomed. The game-play is very fluid and the game just seems to flow from one map to the other. The shooting system has been worked on and there is actual recoil when you get shot and are shooting at the same time, one thing that I though the last one was missing. It also seems to reward good play. If you play smart and pick your battles, then you are going to do well in this game. If you think that you are Rambo, then you are going to die.

Everything looks beautifully polished too. Perhaps it is just to draw us into the game at this early stage but all of the maps look awesome. The characters looks really sharp and Epic have definitely taken advantage of the HD gaming system that the 360 allows. The graphics are awesome and I could not find one thing that looked bad or out of place. Nice work on that front.

Really, I haven't played too much of this game but it is very addictive. It is very easy to play and doesn't feel like a chore like the last one did. No, this one is very balanced and it gives you a sense of anticipation for the game and it's full release.

I really enjoyed the first, and second game. I'm not a shooter fan by any means, but I really liked the use of cover and the third person view. The camera never felt limited and the AI were surprisingly good considering how bad they have been in past shooter games. Like you said, one of the best points of the series is the use of tactics. You cannot just run in and go on a rampage. You must be tactical and wait for your opportunity. The story is pretty generic, but the gameplay really makes up for that in my opinion and aside from the final boss, I was never disappointed during my playthrough of the first two.

As for the beta, I will likely not be picking it up. I'm not a beta fan as it really just makes me antsy waiting for the actual game to come out. I also will likely not be picking up the game for a few months after it is out. I have a pretty full agenda with my gaming right now as I have Shadow of the Colossus to finish, Fallout 3, Mass Effect 1, and ultimately Final Fantasy 7. I am really looking forward to it though, and as soon as I finish the aforementioned games, I will pick it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back