Daniel Bryan's role at Wrestlemania

rge2010

Mid-Card Championship Winner
For a short while it looked like Bryan could be added to the Main Event with Roman Reigns and Brock Lesnar. Then it looked like we could see a Daniel Bryan vs Dolph Ziggler match. And now it looks like WWE 'could' be going down the rumoured Daniel Bryan vs Sheamus route. I do think WWE will go with the latter BUT it still shocks me WWE don't seem to have anything this close to Mania for one of their top stars.

I was thinking about a few alternatives for Bryan and came up with the following.

Handicap Tag Match
Daniel Bryan & Randy Orton vs Seth Rollins, Big Show & Kane

I know, this is pretty lame and something you would see Main Event Smackdown, but if the correct story and build was given they could make this into a fairly interesting match especially given Bryan and Orton's history. This also gets a couple of the bigger names on the Wrestlemania card.

Singles Match
Daniel Bryan vs Chris Jericho

This match is completely random, but I am sure Jericho is smart enough to make this seem meaningful. I know Jericho has said he won't be at Mania, but I am pretty sure if he was needed for a match with one of the companies big stars he would show up. Build and storyline aside, this would be a wrestling purists dream.

Gauntlet Match
Daniel Bryan vs 3 NXT Superstars

It is no secret that Triple H runs NXT, it is no secret that Triple H's character hates Daniel Bryan so this could be set up with ease. Bryan moans he has nothing for Mania, Triple H says he is keeping him off the card, Bryan flips out, Triple H gets pissed, Triple H puts him in a gauntlet match against 3 NXT superstars. a) this showcases some of NXT's future superstars. b) gives the fans some anticipation for who Bryan will be facing. c) get two of the midcard heels for one and two and then finish with a 'top star' like Zayn or Neville and give them 10 minutes. The only issue is Triple H is busy with Sting so maybe it should be Stephanie McMahon involved in this.

Personally I love the idea. And no, it wouldn't be 'burying' NXT talent, it would be elevating them.

Bryan vs. Undertaker should've been the plan if he wasn't getting a world title shot. That would've placated fans for a bit.

The way I see it he has one option and that is Sheamus. Ziggler hasn't been built enough and at least Sheamus has been off TV, is fresh and would be despised if he returns and takes out Bryan.

To give Bryan anything else would either give him something insignificant or interfere with existing storylines.

I agree with Jake. The only logical thing for Bryan right now is a match with Sheamus. Everyone else who means something in the WWE is busy doing something a bit more important. Which makes it extra sad for Bryan that he has nothing worthwhile to do. As much as Vince doesn't believe that Bryan can be the next face of the company, or even Champion for that matter, he shouldn't be frozen out like the has been over the last few months. I hate to say it but really is a big middle finger to the people who currently prop up his business.

At least a match with Sheamus would be worth watching and would get a bit of hype. With Sheamus being out for so long, I think the match would be fresh and something a bit different from what is currently on offer for Bryan; being multi-man matches that will do nothing for him.

Maybe WWE could benefit by taking a cue from the Cena vs. Rusev rematch that we all know is coming and put Bryan in the Intercontinental Championship picture. If Cena wins the United States Championship, you know WWE is going to book him to look like some kinda chump, so maybe the same could hold for Daniel Bryan and the Intercontinental Championship.

I know that it'd feel like Bryan being put into something at the last moment to one degree or another. However, the notion of Daniel Bryan winning the Intercontinental Championship could be something to get people interested in the title again. If Bryan was actually booked to look like a strong champion, something I think is highly possible as there can't be any doubt among WWE management that Bryan's a very valuable commodity, even if here is some doubt among some of them that he shouldn't be THE GUY.

Based on what it looks like as of Monday, Barrett will defend against Ziggler, Ambrose & R-Truth, the hell R-Truth is doing in there I have no idea, so why not add Bryan to the mix? Sometime in the next few weeks, have him score a victory over Wade Barrett, everybody else in WWE has, put him in the match and just get the title off poor Wade Barrett. It's been a noose around his neck since the first moment he won it.

Haven't you read recent reports? Lesnar is clearly upset DB didn't win against Reigns. They're going to find a way to insert him into the WWEWHC match.

With Ziggler seemingly getting into a 4 way with Barrett, Truth and Ambrose, it seems that option is out.

Sheamus returning, even as a heel would make zero sense and have no build. Besides that, even a heel Sheamus sure wouldn't please DBs vocal fan base enough.

I've been largely against the idea of Sheamus simply because Vince was reported as saying that having Bryan main event in a three way with Lesnar and Roman was 'going to that well too much' (which it is) and yet he was all for a third (advertised) Mania encounter between Bryan and Sheamus. It reeks of hypocrisy. But I'm on board with Sheamus coming back and helping Bryan out of a jam (maybe he's feeling the wrath of the Authority) and then as the fans chant YES(!), kicking our hero's teeth down his throat.

It's effective as it gives us another top heel - something lacking on the roster - and gives Bryan a compelling antagonist. We know they can have a hell of a match and it'd be worthy of Bryan in a sense (proof that he can get a guy who's suffering from over-exposure back over). It'd be a better fit for his talents than sticking him with the IC title situation (he'd overshadow everyone in that area too) and I wouldn't put much stock in Jericho coming back for Mania, we'd have heard about it by now I think.

The other options for Bryan are either below his status or are involved elsewhere. Unless they condense Rollins/Orton into a handicap or six man tag (as the OP alluded too) with Bryan and the Authority giants involved I think our answer to this is a big tall, pasty fella’ from Dublin.

I've been largely against the idea of Sheamus simply because Vince was reported as saying that having Bryan main event in a three way with Lesnar and Roman was 'going to that well too much' (which it is) and yet he was all for a third (advertised) Mania encounter between Bryan and Sheamus.

I took it as he meant (reportedly) bending to the fans' cries 2 years in a row to change the plans and insert DB into the main event.

I took it as he meant (reportedly) bending to the fans' cries 2 years in a row to change the plans and insert DB into the main event.

I know that, and it was, as I noted, going to that well too much, but so is repeatedly putting on a match we've seen occur twice at WrestleMania already. I get what Vince was/is trying to do, but it was like the pot calling the kettle black to use a tired, old cliche.

I've been won over to the idea simply because Bryan has nothing worth his time doing asides from this (with the exception of putting him and Orton together to battle the Authority or some sort of major twist) and him getting Sheamus over as a top heel could work wonders, especially if they're given time on the card.

I know that, and it was, as I noted, going to that well too much, but so is repeatedly putting on a match we've seen occur twice at WrestleMania already. I get what Vince was/is trying to do, but it was like the pot calling the kettle black to use a tired, old cliche.

I've been won over to the idea simply because Bryan has nothing worth his time doing asides from this (with the exception of putting him and Orton together to battle the Authority or some sort of major twist) and him getting Sheamus over as a top heel could work wonders, especially if they're given time on the card.

You bring up a good point with Orton. With them delaying Orton's attack on the Authority (why, I have no idea), it could explain why DB has nothing right now. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back