Damien Sandow: It's Been Worth It

RIPbossman

Occasional Pre-Show
Damien Sandow: It’s been worth it.

Many aspiring wrestlers dream of main eventing WrestleMania. Having their face in the advertisements for all the big shows, being everyone’s favorite (or most hated) wrestler. And to a lot of fans, your status on the card of a main stream organization defines your success as a sports entertainer. However, those dreams and those standards are quite unrealistic. Only a small percentage of performers ever achieve that, and few would be considered successful. When looking at Damien Sandow, most fans will point the finger and say “He’s a failure”. Never main evented a pay per view, never held a World Title. No chance in hell of becoming a Hall of Famer. Those last three statements are indeed true. However, I am going out on a limb and saying Damien Sandow has had a worthwhile WWE career.

101013_damien-sandow_600.jpg

From day one (not counting his days as Idol Stevens), Sandow was saddled with a goofy gimmick that made it difficult for him to climb up the card. The “Intellectual Savior of the Masses” who entered to refrains of “Alleluia!”, wore a blue bathrobe, and enlightened the “ignoramuses”. We’ve seen these gimmicks before, with The Genius most closely resembling Sandow’s in particular. Gimmicks that are doomed from the start because they aren’t meant to be taken seriously. We laugh at them, not with them, and they have little chance to break through to a higher spot in the company.

Countless wrestlers have come and gone through WWE’s revolving door. Many don’t stay long, and ultimately have little to be remembered for. Justin Gabriel’s career was pretty forgettable. Outside NXT, The Ascension’s done next to nothing. Curt Hawkins, Tyler Rex, Palmer Cannon, all names that did nothing memorable in WWE. But that’s not the case with Damien Sandow.

Sandow has had memorable programs that made connections with WWE’s “Universe”. After Sandow won Money In The Bank in 2013, he and Cody Rhodes, formerly the Rhodes Scholars, feuded. While the team nor the feud was memorable, we did get one of the more memorable segments in Smackdown! history: Sandow jumping into the Gulf of Mexico, desperately trying to get a hold of his MITB briefcase that Cody Rhodes threw in. Sandow yelling “I can’t swim” and flailing his arms around, is an image most won’t forget.

Damien-Sandow-sunking-in-Gulf-Of-Mexico-500x329.jpg

Damien gave us one of the most exciting MITB Cash In matches we’ve seen. Sure, MITB matches aren’t meant to be well worked matches anyways, as the challenger normally wins rather quickly over a wounded champion. But so what. The match kept you on the edge of your seat for a long period of time. It was a breath of fresh air for three hour Raws that sorely needed it. Could Sandow do the unthinkable and beat John Cena? You kind of knew it wasn’t going to happen, but it was still a thrilling match. At the time he won Money In The Bank, there were probably no plans to unify the World Titles. While Alberto Del Rio held it, the WHC was the equivalent of the Intercontinental Title when it was held by a strong upper midcarder. That was a reasonable goal for Damien. Guys like Jack Swagger, CM Punk, and Daniel Bryan had won it previously. Guys who, at the time, were unproven as main eventers (Punk and Bryan obviously proved themselves later).

We all saw what happened next. Coming out week after week, dressed as some type of different person. Impersonating Paul Revere, Bret Hart, Vince McMahon, LeBron James, an astronaut, and other people. After he made the transition to being The Miz’s stunt double, we got one of the most memorable midcard storylines of the last ten years. Damien Mizdow got chants of “MIZDOW’S AWESOME”, chants WWE management never intended him to get. He was bottom of the barrel at this point, but fans still gave him great reactions.

The Mizdow storyline can be compared to Daniel Bryan’s push in 2013-14, on a much smaller scale. Bryan was entertaining as part of Team Hell No, once the “weak link” storyline started, Bryan got much stronger reactions than management hoped for. It forced them to let him main event Summer Slam, despite them being unsure about his drawing power. As time went on, it was clear WWE did not want Bryan to main event WrestleMania, but he turned every match and every segment he was in into gold. Management simply couldn’t ignore the “YES” chants any longer, and he was put into the main event of WM 30.

Mizdow was meant to be a nothing, a nobody. But management couldn’t ignore his reactions, and had no choice but to run with it, albeit on a small scale. The Miz played a huge part in this, with his heel work being excellent as he mistreated Mizdow. The truth is they had great chemistry together, with fans wanting Damien to finally stand up to The Miz and tell him off. It was a long, drawn out affair, one that saw them become tag team champions. The crowd popped during the Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal when Mizdow finally, once and for all, turned on The Miz. We didn’t get much of a pay off in terms of a blow off matches (what we got was forgettable, with Summer Rae’s involvement at the end) but the journey was well worth it. After all the abuse, Miz slapping him, ordering him to shine his shoes and costing him matches, we saw someone the audience organically was connected with stand up to the jerk.

28ebd1dfe989f5c1a5738cd3514ed1f9_crop_north.jpg

Really, maybe Sandow has been his own worst enemy for the last few years. What I mean is, most of his segments involved humor, most of which as a heel. Wrestlers generally are supposed to be taken seriously in order to advance up the card, but Sandow always put a comical vibe on everything he did, even before he dressed up as Magneto. He sort of came off as a joke, and using a phrase I used before, became someone fans laughed at instead of laughed with (unlike Chris Jericho). He certainly did his job as an entertainer, but maybe it wasn’t the right kind of entertainment. Maybe no one saw the long term ramifications of what he was pigeonholing himself into.

Today we see him as Macho Mandow. I have to admit, his impersonation of Randy Savage is dead on, to the phrases, wrestling and mannerisms. He and Curtis Axel are very entertaining together, but Sandow has become typecast. Michael Richards (before the racist outburst) he typecast himself as a comical fool because he did such a great job playing Kramer. I believe WWE management has labeled Sandow as someone who can never be taken seriously as a main eventer. His humor should have been used in a way similar to Chris Jericho, where you always viewed him as someone who could tell jokes, not BE a joke, and be taken seriously as the same time.

The future looks bleak for Sandow, but even if his career ended today, he can hand his head high. Throughout the years he made a true connection with the WWE Universe. If he didn’t, there’s no way managment could have justified giving him as much mic time as they did. He put smiles on people faces for years, even if his character wasn’t in on the joke. Macho Mandow, singing his own rendition of Randy Orton’s and Sheamus’ theme song, the aforementioned Gulf of Mexico segment, all things that fans remember and made them laugh.

Damien Sandow has not had a great career in terms of kayfabe achievements. A tag title belt and a Money In The Bank briefcase are all the hardware he’s had in his career. But in terms of giving us memorable programs and segments, he’s done that. Comparing him to people like the Ascension and Tyler Reks, and countless other forgettable WWE superstars, he has a lot to show for the years of hard work he put into WWE, even if mostly on an entertainment level. As it is, Damien Sandow has had a worthwhile WWE career.

First off, that was an excellent read. You really put a lot of effort into the post.

As for Damien Sandow's career, he was excellent as the "Savior of the Masses"; I thought it was a highly entertaining gimmick. He won the 2013 MITB Ladder match and I expected big things from Sandow, but then...

WWE forgot about him. It's a shame, and unfortunately it happens to a lot of wrestlers.

SummerSlam (2013) - Lost to Cody Rhodes
Night of Champions (2013) - Nothing
Battleground (2013) - Lost to Dolph Ziggler on the pre-show (Feud with no build)
Hell in a Cell (2013) - Defeated Kofi Kinston on the pre-show (Feud with no build)
Raw (10/28/13) - Failed MITB cash-in on John Cena
Survivor Series (2013) - Nothing
TLC (2013) - Lost to Big E in an IC Championship match (Feud with no build)
Royal Rumble (2014) - Eliminated after just over 2 minutes in the RR match
Elimination Chamber (2014) - Nothing
WrestleMania XXX - Was in the Creative Has Nothing For You Battle Royal (Andre the Giant Memorial)
Extreme Rules (2014) & Payback (2014) - Nothing

Around this time, he started doing the impersonations, a gimmick never meant to get over.

Money in the Bank (2014) - Impersonated Paul Revere
Battleground (2014) - Lost meaningless Battle Royal
SummerSlam (2014) - Lumberjack for Ambrose-Rollins match

Around this time, he started managing The Miz. Again, Sandow was meant to be irrelevant.

Night of Champions (2014) & Hell in a Cell (2014) - Managed The Miz

Survivor Series (2014) - Won The WWE Tag Team Titles With The Miz

Around this time, Sandow (now Mizdow), was getting some audible crowd chants of "We Want Mizdow". That's an indication of 2 things: How great a heel Miz is, How Sandow could get over with such an awful gimmick.

They had a decent reign until sometime before Royal Rumble 2015 when they lost to The Usos.

Then, WWE was almost "forced" to make Sandow relevant and break free from the terror of managing The Miz.

Sandow turned on Miz at WM31 by eliminating him from the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal.

Mizdow was getting some great pops from the fans. He had FINALLY regained his momentum lost from his awful run after winning MITB, but then...

Miz defeated Sandow a few weeks later on Raw, and Sandow went back to being irrelevant. WWE forgot about Sandow yet again.

A few weeks later, Sandow formed an irrelevant comedy tag team with Curtis Axel.

That's how WWE works. A lot of wrestlers are given nothing and have no chance to succeed. Sandow turned nothing into something (managing and later impersonating The Miz), but that would only last for so long.

Has his career been worth it? I'm not sure. He's been more successful than some people (Tyler Reks, Curt Hawkins, etc.), but that's not saying much. After he retires, I'll remember Sandow as talented but highly misused.

I don't know if I would agree. He certainly has done a lot in the company but for what end result? Is he really any better off now than he was when he started, aside from making some money? If next week they started a top level feud between him and someone(Cena, Orton, Rollins, whoever), would people buy into it. To me, that's the bigger issue - he didn't become a wrestler to be a comedian and really that's the role he has been given. While he has been successful at that role, in the end does that role matter? Look at Santino - he has been gone for a while now, does anyone really miss seeing him? He held titles, worked with a lot of talent but in the end he wasn't someone the fans really wanted or needed. Or how about Eugene? Sandow is going down the same route. There is nothing wrong with mixing in some comedy, Foley did that a lot, but there has to be some balance to it and that hasn't happened with Sandow. He hasn't gained anything from these angles they have thrown him in. If anything, it actually feels like the longer he has been in the company, the more steps back his career has taken. At one point, we were thinking of him as a future World Champ but I don't think anyone thinks that now. That's why I can't agree that it has been worth it.

I always thought he was very underrated, I enjoy watching his work and he has been given the crappiest gimmicks and I still find him entertaining even during the dullest of shows, Would rather have seen a bigger feud against him and the Miz even to let them wrestle at Wrestlemania or at least an Intercontinental or US title run but not the first guy they have missuesed and wont be the last.

Damien Sandow is a good, solid midcard wrestler. That's all he'll ever be, and there's nothing wrong with that. Not every guy needs to be a top megastar and headline events. Right now fans are lining up to crucify WWE because Dean Ambrose and Kevin Owens aren't headlining every event. Guess what? They probably won't be long-term main eventers. Sandow won't be either. Eventually he might get a reign as United States Champion or Intercontinental Champion if he's VERY lucky, or maybe he and Axel will get a WWE Tag Team Championship reign at some point. Either way, Sandow is in a fairly good position in WWE. If he keeps his nose clean, he could end up being a very long-term employee for the company.

Great read. May, I suggest making this a series, with other misused superstars?

As for the topic, I believe that Sandow's career has been worth it. He won multiple tag team championships and a MITB. Unfortunately, he lost his cash in. I believe that today what makes you a success or not (in the fans eyes) is whether or not you are respected by the IWC. Despite, many of his horrible gimmicks, Sandow has brought it home every time. The IWC respects that, and for that I say that his career has been worth it

The saddest part is that he is a pretty good worker in the ring and is deceptively big. I find it incomprehensible with Vince's obsession with size that guys like Luke Harper and Damien Sandow don't get massive pushes. Their in-ring work alone is elite for big dudes.

And in Sandow's case he's the whole package. Can speak, wrestle, heel, face, etc.
It's as if proving versatility isn't a good thing anymore. The creative team can only do good things for guys who are so over-the-top defined as a face or heel that it gets tedious. Only truly elite talent can shine through such nonsense (THE ARCHITECT)

Instead of Sandow and Harper we keep getting the big dead cosine and the lard show.

As it is, Damien Sandow has had a worthwhile WWE career.

Agreed, and the same thing can be said of most wrestlers who've performed in WWE, whether they've enjoyed featured roles or not. While we mostly see them only on our TVs, they've been working hard to get to where they are now, often for years. Everyone we see hasn't had the fortune of Brock Lesnar, who went from a collegiate wrestling career straight to the pinnacle of sports entertainment. Even John Cena spent a few years in the bush leagues before making it in WWE.

The point is, just having gotten here is an amazing accomplishment....and I would think most pro wrestlers would rather be a pauper in paradise than a king in hiding.....meaning they'd sooner choose to be jobbers in WWE than a champion in a small, independent federation.

I wish they'd do more to feature Damien Sandow.....but I don't think they're going to.

Great read. He got the talent and look. I thought he was going to be the next Triple H. Sucks he came out the same year as The Shield.

Thankfully he's still young and you got wrestlers like Brock and Rock winning the WWE title in their late 30's so there's still hope for Sandow.

I wouldn't say it has been worth it, but Sandow has done better than most would have had they ended up with the in-ring career experience he has had in the WWE. He started out as a great heel with the intellectual gimmick. Then we saw Team Rhodes Scholars (who really should have won the Tag Team Championship together) that split up following Sandow's winning a Money In the Bank briefcase. I enjoyed the feud with Rhodes over the briefcase that followed, Rhodes throwing the blue briefcase out into the water was classic, only for Sandow to introduce one that looked like it was made out of chocolate. Why didn't WWE capitalize on this and make Money In the Bank chocolate candy during this angle? They'd have made a ton of money off of that! So then we have Sandow's loss to Cena when he cash'ed in unsuccessfully which was followed by his infamous impressions gimmick. He deserved better than to be jobbed out and humiliated like that.

Then we have Damien Mizdow.... While a humiliating role to get stuck with, I commend Sandow for making the Mizdow storyline not only work, but for being so hilarious during it. His feud with Miz deserved a Wrestlemania match but NO instead he has to lose to Big Show after the feud culminated in a forgettable moment during a match NO ONE cared about on the pre-show. He might be stuck in his Macho Mandow gimmick for a while doing comedy with Axelmania. It's funny, and I'd rather he be doing something that's entertaining if all they are going to do is make him be a jobber. Sandow has made the best of what he has been given to do and has been entertaining in the process. He's good in the ring and makes me laugh when he does promos.... at least he has that going for him. I do wish he had more accomplishments than a Money In the Bank briefcase win that resulted in a failed cash-in attempt and a Tag Team Championship run with The Miz, but it is what it is.

Damien Sandow: It’s been worth it.
Depends how you look at it. In terms of Championships and acomplishments he could off done better especially when he failed to cash in MiTB against Cena(Cena failed to cash in year prior to that so to me it was just "Hey, see, not all guys can succesfully cash in MiTB and its not just Cena who cant do it").

In terms of character sure. He had some memorable moments so he has worthwile carreer so far. Not everyone in WWE can be mainevent level talents, somebody has to be billed like comedy jobber who has comedy stunts to entertain masses.

If this was an industry that treated performers well from low card to main event I might agree with the whole sentiment of 'you can have a great midcard career' . But the wrestling business has far too many people unable to make a decent living for me to go along with that sentiment. The career span of most performers is too short, the physical toll on the body is too great ,the time away from family or on the road too daunting to just get a decent living from wrestling.

He has a career, and many would be grateful just to be on the platform he's been on. The first question is whether Sandow is happy with where he is and we won't know till his career is over and/or he leaves WWE and does a shoot. He might be pleased just to be employed in the industry he's in.
The second question is does he deserve more ? The answer to that varies from person to person but imo he deserves a lot more.

Sandow is being pushed as a mid card performer. But imo he's treated more as a lower mid card or jobber than anything else.
I personally think his talent has been wasted for far too damn long. He's great on the mike, good in the ring so what is WWE waiting for. They (wwe management) have tempted us with little moments where we (the audience) thought he was going to get something great only to be disappointed.
Take at some of his career highlights or benchmarks:

Intellectual Saviour
Solid character. Worthy of someting memorable, an IC / US title run at least would have been reasonable. Only thing that stands out is getting the shit kicked out of him by DX.

Rhodes Scholars
Paired with another under utilised performer (Cody Rhodes) I thought there would be a tag title run or two, it doesn't happen. They break up after he wins MITB and the feud turns out to be him putting over Rhodes rather quickly and that feud fizzled to nothing.

MITB
See above. Wins it, cashes in on Cena, has a good match still loses and then nothing. Could have won the IC or US title, that would have been a decent consolation prize for him. He gets nothing again.

Mizdow
Paired with The Miz. What should have been a humiliating position he elevated and made it one of the most entertaining segments on Raw/Smackdown. They win the tag titles (thank God) only to lose after a month. Mizdow breaks up and Sandow loses a match to the Miz and the feud fizzles again.

Now
Paired with Curtis Axel , they are a parody team of the Mega Powers. Curtis Axel playing Hulk Hogan and Sandow playing Macho Man or Macho Mandow.

He has done all that has been asked of him, has the talent to be more but can't because of the bullshit decision making going on backstage. Far less talented performers have received more than he has in terms of a push and it's getting very hard to watch.

A career ? Yes. Decent Career ? Maybe. The kind of career his talent demands and he is deserving of ? Not by a long shot.

The funny thing is that he essentially is Hunter Hearst Helmsley and has some of the best mic skills in the E.

His runs with Miz & Cody lead me to believe if given the time him and Curtis Axel could make a memorable tag team stint as well however there wont be any consistency surrounding them either.

Him losing his MITB accomplished nothing for him neither did holding tag titles and I'd hate to see him leave but if you're not gonna have him wrestle at least put him on commentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back