• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Custon Championships should be banned in ALL of wrestling.

BrucePettit

Dark Match Winner
Maybe I'm just a 22 year old who is old fashioned at heart, but I think the idea of wrestlers customizing their own championship titles, is flat out stupid.

I think the only one that has ever truly made sense to me, without flaws, was Austin's "Smoking Skull" title. The reason for this, is because Austin's character and storyline during this time, was very anti-authority. In the prime of the 90's, it made sense for Austin to be so anti-Vince McMahon and anti-establishment, that he would have his own belt customized. This was the perfect touch to further and very deep, and now historic, feud in professional wrestling.

With that being said, since then, the likes of John Cena, Edge, Jeff Hardy in TNA, etc. have used their own custom titles. To me, Austin's scenario was the only one that made the most sense, and they should have left it at that.

Keep in mind that these guys are known employees to Vince/Dixie and their respective companies. Why isn't anything ever said when someone goes out and just makes their own title? If wrestling was real, wouldn't you go out and have a custom one made if you won the title, regardless of your character? Their should be one (or two depending on the World vs Heavywight titles, but that's a whole different story) look for every title in each company, and that's it. When you start just changing the look and customizing the title with each new champion, it loses the prestige and importance of the said title. It is almost as if each star who does this, is bigger than the company. No one disciplines them or says they can't, right?

I'm probably looking too much into this all, but for me, I hate when ANY wrestler after the one time Austin did it, changes the championship belt to something that fits them. Their should be one look, and that's that.

Thoughts? Opinions? Am I the only one who feels this way?

Hey the Cena tittle is awesome !!

Miz tittle isnt that different, i mean he just flipped the W to a M :S not a big deal!!

Edge was only to make him the Rated R Legend I guess :S
Maybe once in 10 years or about they should change, everything that is always the same gets a little bit boring :)

Maybe I'm just a 22 year old who is old fashioned at heart, but I think the idea of wrestlers customizing their own championship titles, is flat out stupid.

I think the only one that has ever truly made sense to me, without flaws, was Austin's "Smoking Skull" title. The reason for this, is because Austin's character and storyline during this time, was very anti-authority. In the prime of the 90's, it made sense for Austin to be so anti-Vince McMahon and anti-establishment, that he would have his own belt customized. This was the perfect touch to further and very deep, and now historic, feud in professional wrestling.

With that being said, since then, the likes of John Cena, Edge, Jeff Hardy in TNA, etc. have used their own custom titles. To me, Austin's scenario was the only one that made the most sense, and they should have left it at that.

Keep in mind that these guys are known employees to Vince/Dixie and their respective companies. Why isn't anything ever said when someone goes out and just makes their own title? If wrestling was real, wouldn't you go out and have a custom one made if you won the title, regardless of your character? Their should be one (or two depending on the World vs Heavywight titles, but that's a whole different story) look for every title in each company, and that's it. When you start just changing the look and customizing the title with each new champion, it loses the prestige and importance of the said title. It is almost as if each star who does this, is bigger than the company. No one disciplines them or says they can't, right?

I'm probably looking too much into this all, but for me, I hate when ANY wrestler after the one time Austin did it, changes the championship belt to something that fits them. Their should be one look, and that's that.

You act like every person who holds the belts changes it... I've been watching since 06' (Yes, probably not even as close to as long as you oldies), and the only time I've seen the belts customized was with Cena's spinner, and the Miz flipping the W to an M.

Hey the Cena tittle is awesome !!

Miz tittle isnt that different, i mean he just flipped the W to a M :S not a big deal!!

Edge was only to make him the Rated R Legend I guess :S
Maybe once in 10 years or about they should change, everything that is always the same gets a little bit boring :)

John Cena's/spinner title was, is, and always will be a piece of shit looking toy, and the miz's version is even more lame than that.

I agree with the op custom titles suck (smokin skull only exception) and devalue the original title, the titles should only be changed when the company desides to upgrade their look IMO.

You act like every person who holds the belts changes it... I've been watching since 06' (Yes, probably not even as close to as long as you oldies), and the only time I've seen the belts customized was with Cena's spinner, and the Miz flipping the W to an M.

The Rock had a brahma bull, Stone Cold had a smoking skull, Cena had the spinner, Edge had A Rated R(just the spinner with a R in the middle, Miz has his, and Jeff Hardy's piece of shit title are all the ones I can think of.

Totally agree the custom champions have been making the world heavyweight champion or wwe champion look worthless. They make a prestige of the world title and turned it into a profit, in my book I think thats an atrocity and corrupt.

images

I agree sorta, But to call the spinner title a peice of shit is not fair, That was his character he did it to the us title if my memory serves me right and it usualy does. That was his character and they just kept it. I think it works its a real flashy title and it works. The Austin title worked as well. The warrior changed the ic title not much just the strap itself, HBK changed it too. It is A must to change it every so often. The hardy butterfly belt was is and always will be a peice of trash, Or the new best saying in wrestling HOT GARBAGE.

i think the championships should only change if they look kind of old. i really liked the WWE Championship before Cena changed it into the piece of shit it is today

I like the spinner belt. I always have. It defines the era. Look at it this way: if it was as "shitty" as you say, wouldn't the WWE get rid of it?

It's a pretty looking belt, and a hell of a lot better looking now that it doesn't spin.

And if you win the title, you should have the right to make it look custom. You won it. It's yours. And if you notice, the WWE only lets people do it if they really believe in them.

It used to be just the strap was custom. For example: Billy Graham, Ultimate Warrior, and Sgt Slaughter had custom straps.

I tend to look at a "custom belt" as one that's used temporarily. In that logic, Cena's "custom belt" is as legit as Hogan's belt, Bret Hart's Winged Eagle, and Triple H's Undisputed belt.

Yea I agree with you since when I see world title belts I take the WHC more seriously since it looks more professional. The spinner only worked for Cena since it meshed with his rapper gimmick, but say someone like Undertaker with it, cmon it would look ridiculous.

The Rock had a brahma bull, Stone Cold had a smoking skull, Cena had the spinner, Edge had A Rated R(just the spinner with a R in the middle, Miz has his, and Jeff Hardy's piece of shit title are all the ones I can think of.

What about the NWO belt. They had their own.
And the Million Dollar Man had his own belt, though technically not a world title but still contested for and still his own design.

I'm not saying any of the custon belts are "shitty", I never said that. That was a different poster's words. All I am saying is that I don't like it and I think it cheapens the prestige and doesn't bring a lot of dignity to it.

I have always thought when John Cena won the US and WWE Championship that both of them were god awful A spinning belt it looks really horrible,Maybe I am old school but the only titles that I liked and will always like are The WWF IC Title The WWF World Tag Team Titles and The WWF Title from the 80's - 98 before the ''scratched '' logo.

The belt that Hardy had in TNA was one of the ugliest pieces of crap I've ever laid eyes on. Imo, I have no clue what the hell possessed them to do that. I mean that was a horribly lousy idea for TNA to do. I don't mind the change to the title, because you have to update them from time to time. The smokin' skull title was great for Austin as he became the face of the WWE.

I always thought the titles for Raw and Smackdown should have colour schemes that match their shows (red for Raw, blue for Smackdown). I hate the look of the diva and tag titles. The diva title is almost as fake looking as Hardy's title in TNA and the tag titles look like overgrown arcade tokens tapped onto belts.

Yeah from reading your post not only do you sound old fashioned but you also sound like a die hard Austin fan which is all good. Now I agree & disagree w/u because I think it's kool when a guy customizes his belt.

When Cena did it he was the rapper & the old fashion belts just didn't cut it for him so he had to spice them up it was perfect for his character IMO & I liked both belts & I got the adult replica of the WWE title even.

When Hardy did it they was basically tryn to say that he was the main guy in the company & he wasn't ever gonna lose it because he was that good & he had legends backing him so seeing as he will never lose & the company suppose to be going in a new direction to hell w/the old belt & lets customized our championship in the image of our biggest star.

When speaking about both situation it made sense to me that the did the custom belts oh I also like when edge did it too. Now did they really have to no but it's something fresh, fun, & shouldn't be taken serious IMO. I agree w/u it does make the guy seem bigger then the company but to me that's kool if the guy can really pull off the over the top cocky ego. Now when they let other ppl carry the belt when they become champion is when it becomes stupid to me & I always wonder why would any superstar want to carry another mans custom belt unless it was to mock that person for not being champ no more.

The whole idea of everyone using Cena's custom belt is stupid to me also & I would really love for them to change it back to the WWE title they was using before he changed it. If he becomes champ again then I think its fine if he carries the custom belt because its his belt but soon as he loses it back to the old belt they should go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back