Curses? Or Your Team Just Can't Step Up?

CH David

A Jock That Loves Pepsi
So our esteemed Sports Stadium Mod has come up with a thread asking what our favorite sports curses are. I obliged, but I don't really believe in sports curses. Why did I reply then? Well simply because I like to talk about them and see other what other people think about them. Just because I don't believe something like that, or give into the hype of it, doesn't mean I can't enjoy talking about it right?

Anyway, this is simple. When it comes to curses in sports, do you believe in them? Is/Was there some mystical forces keeping your team from succeeding? Or is all just crap and your teams just didn't/can't step it up?

For me, obviously, I don't really believe there to be any curses set upon teams in professional sports. During their runs of not being able to win a championship, they just couldn't step up to beat one team, get past a hump. Look at the Chicago White Sox. I don't want to go into the Cubs or Red Sox, I'll rant on a random tangent.

But White Sox, here was a team who was simply fantastic at the end of the 1910s. Even without Babe Ruth, who was traded to the Yankees for cash instead of to the White Sox for Shoeless Joe Jackson and cash, they could have been a powerhouse. But the 1919 Black Sox scandal happened, and those eight players were banished from baseball. What would happen after that? They sank into the shithole for years. They would then rise up to mediocrity, and lower back.

The 50s would hit and they gained some momentum, even making it to the World Series in 1959, only to lose against the Dodgers. But from 1950 until the mid '60s, they would finish behind the Yankees. After that until the early '80s, the team slipped back into mediocrity with rumors of the team moving, and just all around not so complete rosters. Then they started "Winning Ugly" with scrappy play, and finished the decade slipping back into the middle grounds.

They would be good in the early '90s, but couldn't get past the hump, in '93 they fell in the ALCS to eventual champions, the Toronto Blue Jays. In 1994, they would lead the Central Division until the Strike hit, and ended the season. Nothing more of note until 2000, when they dominated the Central again, but couldn't sustain that success in the playoffs. After three more years of mediocrity, the team brought in Ozzie Guillen in 2004, and they began to play his way. 2005 happened, and the rest is history.

The White Sox were a team that sucked after the Black Sox scandal, got stuck behind the Yankees during one of their dominant runs, and were just damn mediocre for a long time. But they were finally able to put it together, step it up, and win their title after 88 years. They did what they had to to finally win, by putting together one of the finest pitching staffs, some of the scrappiest of players, and a damn good outfield, and meshed it fantastically.

So, do you believe in sports curses? Or are they just cop outs for when your team can't step up?

Curses are defiantly cop outs for teams who just can't step up. I was sooooo happy for the Red Sox when they won the World Series back in 2004. And do you know why? So fucking ESPN could finally stop doing stories about "the curse" and stop showing the Bill Buckner error. CH David, I don't know whether this will piss you off or not, but I'm going to provide another curse I can't stand....The Chicago Cubs. Know I don't know the full history of this curse, but I do know it has something to with Billy Sianis, him being ejected from a game, and a goat. People tried to reference this curse again in 2003, when the Cubs played the Marlins in the NLCS, and the infamous Steve Bartman incident happened in game 6.

So, yeah, I think curses are an excuse fans use to hide the fact that their team just isn't that good.

I must admit, I have an up to date man-card, but I've almost had to turn it in on multiple occassions because of my lack of sports knowledge. That being said, it's very difficult for me to go into detail about speciic teams that I feel carry some sort of "curse" since the radio was America's favorite form of entertainment during the last time the team won a championship.

My contribution to this thread is going to be a quote from VH1's "I Love the New Millennium" when referring to 2004, when the Red Sox finally won their first World Series since 1918: "Hey Boston fans... there wasn't any curse. It just might be possible that you guys could have sucked for a really long time." And I couldn't agree more with this statement.

There is a possibility that the mere thought of a curse could spook a team and psychologically put a strain on their efforts. Or, like the quote above states, they could just suck for a long, long time. But curses are non-existent. It just takes a long time to rebuild a team into championship material. Just look at teams like the Detroit Lions.

Sometimes it's just not in the cards for a team to win championships.

I made my thread as more of a thread on the story, as I doubt most fans actually believe in a curse. What next, a magic guy in the clouds that co trols the game, and praying to him will have your team win games?

So there are no curses in my opinion, just great stories to write jounalistic articles to unite teams and players together.

It's pretty obvious that it's just a cop out. It's always fun to hear the different stories about curses and how they started but in the end only one team can win the championship in their respective sport every year. So chances are there will always be some teams in every sport that go through lengthy championship droughts.

The biggest problems with a lot of these "cursed" teams is lack of good ownership and/or lack of talent over the years. Most of the teams with these "curses" are bad teams. Every once in a while there will be a few year period where they have some success but for the most part they suck.

Curses are a cop out, and there is no sensible argument that can be made otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back