Curb Stomp on Hold?

OYDK

King Of The Ring
There's a report surfacing that Seth Rollins Curb Stomp, is only being put on hold until WWE deals with the recent concussion lawsuits that have been launched against them. It states specifically that "the move is said to be on hold until WWE's concussion lawsuits are gone or no longer a threat."

For what it's worth, this has been my line of thinking from the beginning. The Curb Stomp is not the only move in WWE that targets the head, but it is the most "violent looking" and as a result, it's a liability. I found it pretty hard to believe that WWE would ban the Curb Stomp for life considering that it really can't hurt you like say, a piledriver can.

So, if we're patient, hopefully we'll see the re-surfacing of a great finishing move, and WWE can stop cutting out every Curb Stomp in WWE history...

Thoughts?

No we won't. The reason it is gone is not because of the lawsuits its because Vince doesn't like it, The lawsuits are a the cover. In WWE if Vince don't like it, they don't use it. The Curb Stomp is gone and unless you have the patient to wait until Vince leaves WWE youn wont see it again. The source explaining why Vince doesn't like it is http://dailywrestlingnews.com/backstage-story-vince-mcmahon-doesnt-like-curb-stomp/

I've seen a few reports that say that as well. But what is the real story? Is it because Vince doesn't like it, or because of the pending lawsuits against the WWE? It's always smoke and mirrors with the WWE. Just tell us Vince doesn't like it so it's gone. What's the problem with that, not like they don't mind pissing people off. Do it on a weekly basis most of the time. If it's the lawsuits, then we we all understand they have to cover their asses.

There are still a lot of moves that look like they bash people's heads in, the piledriver, Dirty Deeds, DDT's the list goes on. If it was the lawsuits then they would ban them all, wouldn't they? So I don't know what to believe right now.

This isn't the first move that there needs a set up for. The 619 required a wrestler to lay across the ropes, any of the top rope moves like the Phoenix Splash, Red Arrow, Five Star Frogsplash means the opponent is laying there waiting for it to happen. More than enough time to roll away. Hell even Cena's 5 Knuckle Shuffle, or Reigns spear after he roars, should tell the guy lying down what's about to happen. This is a time will tell thing.

Today's tragic news of a toddler being killed by an adult performing a "Last Ride" on him is all the reason you need for the Curb Stomp to be banned.

http://news.sky.com/story/1479604/toddler-slammed-to-death-in-wrestling-move

The Curb Stomp is on paper one of the safest moves, but also has one of the highest capacities for serious injury/death if botched. If you, with full force, stomp on someone's head or neck, a fatality will likely occur. WWE don't want kids doing the curb stomp in playgrounds...

As I said in the other thread on this, remember the term Curb Stomp is wholly controversial to begin with as it was a "gang move" for many years and even American History X, which showed one was very close to being banned for it... WWE rode their luck with it and they decided not to open themselves to the kind of shit keeping the move can bring. Rollins won't bother, he has plenty of other moves he can use... but if a kid died from his move, he wouldn't live that down as quick as pics of his schlong being leaked.

Today's tragic news of a toddler being killed by an adult performing a "Last Ride" on him is all the reason you need for the Curb Stomp to be banned.

This is why I can't buy this argument. Children have died performing the AA, elbow drops, leg drops, Chokeslams, and now The Last Ride, and that's only the ones we know about. We've heard more than a couple cases of children tragically being killed by a botched AA. No move is safe, so if this is a legitimate argument than WWE should ban every move. I mean, is The Bulhammer any safer to "do at home"? I understand the Curb Stomp looks more dangerous and violent than other moves, but that still isn't a legitimate reason to get rid of it... this is pro-wrestling after all.

The Curb Stomp is on paper one of the safest moves, but also has one of the highest capacities for serious injury/death if botched. If you, with full force, stomp on someone's head or neck, a fatality will likely occur. WWE don't want kids doing the curb stomp in playgrounds...

This is true, but kids are also smart enough not to stomp their buddies face into the ground (or so I would hope). The reason, or I would assume the reason why kids predominantly use moves like the AA/Last Ride/RKO on their friends are because they look pretty safe and easy to pull off. When do we hear of children using The Curb Stomp, The Bullhammer, ZigZag, Running Knee, etc. at home? I think we should give children a wee bit more credit at this point.

As I said in the other thread on this, remember the term Curb Stomp is wholly controversial to begin with as it was a "gang move" for many years and even American History X, which showed one was very close to being banned for it... WWE rode their luck with it and they decided not to open themselves to the kind of shit keeping the move can bring. Rollins won't bother, he has plenty of other moves he can use... but if a kid died from his move, he wouldn't live that down as quick as pics of his schlong being leaked.

Again, partially true but not completely. As mentioned above, children have died from other moves and those cases aren't usually directed at the superstar, but rather the WWE. Seth Rollins wouldn't be blamed if something like that were to occur, just like Taker won't be blamed for the incidence above. Personally, I never looked at the Curb Stomp as this controversial move that WWE was riding their luck with... it was always just another move to me. Also, he was using it for 2 years before they banned it and nothing has come out of it. What exactly is WWE opening themselves up to by allowing Rollins to use a move that has never proven to hurt anybody?

If nothing else, just a move where someone's head/face makes contact with the ground can be scary for reasons other than concussions. When I was younger, I let a friend perform HHH's Pedigree on me (on some cushions, of course). Like any idiots who perform wrestling moves untrained, of course I eventually got a couple of my teeth busted out. This was after we thought we had "perfected" the move, and had done it a few dozen times. One tiny slip-up is all it took, and boom - it took a year for my teeth to get fully capped, and I walked around with weird looking teeth for far longer than anyone should have to...but I still blamed myself, not the WWE.

So there are the deaths, and the concussions to think about; then there's all the other things that could happen. Someone could lose an eye, if the kids don't check the ground properly for sticks, or broken glass, or something similar. A kid performing the move loses his balance for a split-second, and that could result in a broken nose, broken jaw, broken eye socket, the list goes on. Again though, is the WWE really responsible for something like that happening? Maybe it's more a product of the time we live in. Some kids in Colorado shoot up a school, it's Marilyn Manson's fault - or the violent video games they were "addicted to" (no wonder they were the first state to legalize recreational Marijuana, huh? lol).

Some people are just stupid, and others are downright evil. How a kid is hurt or dies shouldn't really matter, it's the kid who did it to him who should be at fault. Also, someone would need to check to see if the kid's parents are competent. I'd be willing to say that 9 times out of 10, it's a latchkey kid who didn't get enough attention from his/her parents that end up being that way. Not that all latchkey kids are "bad", just that the bad ones tend to be ignored more by their parents (or friends, or teachers, or the opposite sex, or whomever). Sometimes these lawsuits are solely about money as well. How much bread can the bereaved parents squeeze out of this company, or that company? It's enough to make you want to puke sometimes.

Obviously there is no such thing as a "safe" wrestling move, even for guys who are trained...but you can't blame the WWE for at least thinking about a move that kids could/would emulate, especially one performed by the "face of the company". Maybe it has more to do with that, than anything. Once Seth drops the title, I could see the move coming back...in other words, I wouldn't bet on seeing Seth do it before he drops the title. That way Seth could get more "vicious", because losing the title made him "crazy". It would be similar to Orton and the Punt, I suppose (and many other wrestlers from the past as well)...but not a bad idea none-the-less. Plus, Seth is a "bad guy". Parents need to explain that only a dirt-bag like Seth would pound someone's head in the ground with their foot. Again, not enough emphasis is being put on the parents, in my opinion.

If they don't ban it, I wouldn't mind the curb stomp being used as a super finisher. Sort of like Randy's punt. I have a feeling that it will return, but in a much reduced capacity.

If they don't ban it, I wouldn't mind the curb stomp being used as a super finisher. Sort of like Randy's punt. I have a feeling that it will return, but in a much reduced capacity.

This is exactly along the lines of what I was thinking. Seth is a main event level talent who will need to find ways to put away the very best. The move itself is probably best suited for a heel, but if there was ever a redemption story for Rollins somewhere down the road (I think there will be), he could bring it back to an enormous ovation and use it to get a huge win.

I'll be waiting excitedly but patiently for that eventual Rollins turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back