• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Crap end to the year

Dowdsy McDowds

Sally was here
At the start of December, I started working at an electrical store (Comet) as a temporary member of staff for 3 months, with the manager saying he'd see how I got on then maybe extend my time there or give me full-time hours. As I'm a temp, I'm down for working 16 hours a week, but most weeks have been at least 36, with this week coming in at just under 50.

Today, the manager told me that although the store had been doing well and beat last year's target by £12,000, myself and another temp guy are going to be let go a couple of weeks into January as the company as a whole just hasn't had a great December, and January looks bleak. Pretty crap news to get just before the New Year and it was a bit of a struggle today given that I found out about 2 hours into a 10 hour shift.

All I can say is eugh, so here's hoping 2012 is a better year for finding a job :)

At the start of December, I started working at an electrical store (Comet) as a temporary member of staff for 3 months, with the manager saying he'd see how I got on then maybe extend my time there or give me full-time hours. As I'm a temp, I'm down for working 16 hours a week, but most weeks have been at least 36, with this week coming in at just under 50.

Today, the manager told me that although the store had been doing well and beat last year's target by £12,000, myself and another temp guy are going to be let go a couple of weeks into January as the company as a whole just hasn't had a great December, and January looks bleak. Pretty crap news to get just before the New Year and it was a bit of a struggle today given that I found out about 2 hours into a 10 hour shift.

All I can say is eugh, so here's hoping 2012 is a better year for finding a job :)
Hey, the same thing happened to me yesterday. Except change your store with Target.

Welcome to the world of Seasonal Employment. It sucks.

Барбоса;3611212 said:
Despite their imaginative television ads, Comet is in the financial shitter full stop

Yeh, if only the stuff they do in the ads was close to how it actually was in the store.

I guarantee you my end of the year was worse.

Oh? What happened?

Hey, the same thing happened to me yesterday. Except change your store with Target.

Welcome to the world of Seasonal Employment. It sucks.

It does indeed. Like I knew it was unlikely I'd be kept on past the 3 month period, but for it to be called off at the half-way point is what annoys me most.

Unfortunately, you should have expected this. They probably had no intention of employing you any longer than they had to. Hope the money you have from them is enough to get you through for a while.

Unfortunately, you should have expected this. They probably had no intention of employing you any longer than they had to. Hope the money you have from them is enough to get you through for a while.

Aye in some ways I feel naive about it to be honest. 3 months seemed like a decent amount of 'short-term' time and the manager talked up the improvements the store had made compared to where they were a year ago.
As for the money, for the weeks in December leading up to Christmas Day, I was paid for 16 hour weeks but was told the extra pay will come through in January. Fingers crossed I'm not boned on that.

You were employed seasonally no matter what they say. They pull this shit all the time and it drives me crazy.

Also Killjoy, frost is a bitch. No plants to cut and mows to lawn for the rich white gringo. BA DUM BUM TISH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back