• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Covers that should never have happend....

The Mark of Zur-En-Arrh

Tell me what's on ur so called mind
So i decided to turn the 'Fave covers' thread on its head and ask what cover songs do you hate and wish had never been recorded?

Did one of your favourite bands cause you a great deal of embarrassment by releasing an obscure cover once upon a time?

Or perhaps some prissy pop punk pukes covered one of your all time favourite tunes and it only fueled your hatred for them?

If so, please share them with The Mark of Zur-En-Arrh.......

(This thread was created in response to the news that Industrial Death Metal outfit, 'The Berzerker' are going to cover Tatu's 'All The Things She Said')

My personal selections are:-

Temptation
- Originally written by: Heaven17
- Covered by: Cradle of fuckin' Filth

One of the countless one hit wonders of that beautiful decade known as the 1980's, covered by the Diet Pepsi of Black Metal, Dani Filth and 5 other blokes, or as they are commonly referred as, Cradle of Filth. Clearly actually gaining some recognition in the US has gone to Mr. Davey's head because no one in their right mind would cover this song, let alone a Black Metal singer. Just a terrible way to end 'Thornography' which wasn't a great album anyway tbh.

Wild Boys
- Originally writen by: Duran Duran
- Covered by: Mnemic

See now, as much as i love the Birmingham Quintet known as Duran Duran, i've never really liked 'Wild Boys' as a tune. Simon Le Bon just seems to struggle to maintain his voice during that song, especially during the chorus. A decdae later and Mnemic decided to go and cover it on their album 'The Audio Injected Soul'. It's essentially exactly the same but with some funky distortion effects and growling 'Wild Boys' instead of merely chanting it. Song didn't really help or hinder the album. Now if they'd covered 'The Reflex' of 'Planet Earth' i might be singing a different tune.....

But that's enough from me, what do you guys think?

Do you think Metallica butchered 'Whisky In The Jar'?
Wish David Draiman had never heard of Tears For Fears, thereby spairing us Disturbed's rendition of 'Shout'?
Or maybe you've sworn to eradicate Girl's Aloud if they release another cover ever again?

Do tell WZ, do tell......

About ten years ago I was at a skating rink with some friends, hanging out, hitting on girls, when I heard the opening piano of Open Arms, by Journey. I thought to myself, "Sweet, this is the perfect time for a song like this to play." I open my mouth to say something very suave, dashing and debonair, when whose voice do I hear? Mariah freaking Carey!!! Need I say more?

Then we have the case of Carrie Underwood. I love Carrie Underwood. She's hot, she's one of the few redeeming artists in country music, and she's hot. Oh yeah, and she's also really hot. But no way in hell do I want to hear her singing a Motley Crue song. That's just so, so wrong. Home Sweet Home is not a country song, it never was a country song, and I don't want to hear it sung by Carrie Underwood. Who, by the way, is really freaking hot, in case I forgot to mention it...

It takes a lot for me to HATE a cover. I generally enjoy when a band takes a classic or even remotely cool song and re-does it. It breathes new life into the music, and often rekindles the love for the original. Seether's cover of "Careless Whisper" in some ways does that for Wham. Point and laugh if you must.

I will ALWAYS have a level of disdain in my heart for Sheryl Crow because of what she did to "Sweet Child O' Mine." Lots of people have performed the song, but she re-recorded it for the movie "Big Daddy" and it got play on mainstream radio. Everyone I've spoken to hated it. How dare she.

As if I needed another reason to hate everything about Britney Spears except her body, she covered one of my all time favorite performers when she butchered Bobby Brown's "My Prerogative."

What hurts the most
Initially written by Jeffrey Steele and Steve Robson, and recorded by Mark Wills. That being said, the Rascal Flatts version is arguably the most famous, was by far the best in my opinion. The song was ruined when covered by Cascada. Absolutely hate the band with a passion. No talent, incredibly boring, and likes ruining my favourite songs. Cascada and this song don't match at all, and it should never have been covered.

It takes a lot for me to HATE a cover. I generally enjoy when a band takes a classic or even remotely cool song and re-does it. It breathes new life into the music, and often rekindles the love for the original. Seether's cover of "Careless Whisper" in some ways does that for Wham. Point and laugh if you must.

I will ALWAYS have a level of disdain in my heart for Sheryl Crow because of what she did to "Sweet Child O' Mine." Lots of people have performed the song, but she re-recorded it for the movie "Big Daddy" and it got play on mainstream radio. Everyone I've spoken to hated it. How dare she.

As if I needed another reason to hate everything about Britney Spears except her body, she covered one of my all time favorite performers when she butchered Bobby Brown's "My Prerogative."

Oh yeah, I actually kinda dig the Seether version of "Careless Whisper." And truly hate Sheryl Crow, not just for Sweet Child O' Mine, but that will do for an excuse.

A few months ago I was listening to the radio and heard a cover of Darlin Nikki, by Prince. I'm not sure who covered it, it was one of those bland we all sound alike rock bands that we are subjected to these days, but I'm on the fence...not sure if it was awesome or I hated it...

Africa- We all miss the rain in Africa, but that is a different issue. The big issue is having Toto's second half of their Two Hit Wonder (Paired with Hold The Line) destroyed recently by a horrendous cover version.

The Toto Version:
[youtube]lPT_3PEjnsE[/youtube]

The Cover:
[youtube]6lOoId21B1Q[/youtube]

I have nothing against a nice cover in a different genre, but Karl Wolf has destroyed the great song of Africa. His tinny voice, his whining sound, and the music video (not even shot in Africa apparently, actually shot on the Middle East) seems Africa is covered in chicks in bikinis and douche bags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back