• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cover Art

Smooth Sexual Chocolate

Grapefruits of Wrath
I wanted to know everyone's all time favorite cover art, for any record or C.D, cassette or online album, anything goes.

I was inspired by the thread that says all album covers today suck, now I know that album art is a total preference, so everyone should give a description as to why they chose the album cover that they did. Also feel free to post as many as you want, I know I have more than one favorite.

I'll get us started with one of my favorite covers.

The Peaking Goddess Collective
Organika (2007)

peakinggoddess.jpg

This cover is an absolute favorite of mine, the mandala images in the sky and water always remind me of how much I enjoy sipping a good cup of mushroom tea. The colors are a trip and anyone who's ever crossed the psychedelic line knows of what I speak.

Here is the full image for your pleasure.

page_41.jpg

So easy on the eyes, its also a really good representation of the music, I'm sure you can tell by the album cover what I like to do while listening to this music.

That was my thread you speak of :)

Well most of my favourite album covers are kind of oldie ones or from bands that have been around awhile

Red Hot Chilli Peppers-By The Way

187_Large.jpg

I just love the paintwork and feels like it could be in a gallery, the colours really suit it and it makes you know there's a variety of tunes (melodic and some funk rock) because the design has diversity

led20zeppelin20-20led20zeppelin20iv.preview.jpg

Ever since I was a kid, I just loved the old record my dad had of this gem. I never really realized how good it was in reality, first with the oil painting on the wall, and then the walls place in the community, it really brings out the urban versus rural feel of the cover art. One day, my dad will let me frame it so I can put it in my apartment, because I truly feel it is one of the most creative cover art pieces of all time.

I can't post the cover art because it contains a topless woman, but Carlos Santana's "Abraxas" album art may very well be the greatest artistic album work ever. The colors, the designs, the black magic woman on the front cover. Everything is so beautiful. It's a very bright album.

My favorite cover art work of all time is found on Drowning Pool's Sinner album.

misckjlkjk.jpg

For some reason, when I first saw this piece of art, it struck me. It may be the colors used, the dark mood...or it could be the juxtapositioning of the beautiful, feminine girl against the masculine, tattooed hand and wrist.

Whatever the reason, it has always remained my favorite piece of cover art and most likely will hold that title indefinitely.

1189237744_515738.jpg

Blast Tyrant by Cluth is probably my favorite cover art. I don't if I can explain why but I will give it a try. First off Clutch is a band that I love. Second the cover art is very unique and distinct from just about any other sort of band or their cover Art. The cover being unique is really just depicting how unique the band is because they have a very interesting sound that has evolved so much over the years. But, most of all I just love the idea of what appears to a be a hand drawn cover.

Honorable mentions would have to be Abbey Road by The Beatles, By the was by RHCP and Kid Cudi's Man on the Moon album. All very cool cover arts for albums that are top notch.

Wow, major props Indyjohn, I've been staring at that album cover for a good ten minutes now, that is truly some trippy shit.

DigitalBooklet-EatingUspdf-Adobe-1.jpg

DigitalBooklet-EatingUspdf-AdobeRea.jpg

DigitalBooklet-EatingUspdf-Adobe-2.jpg

Because of Indyjohn's trippy cover I thought I would go along the same route, Black Moth Super Rainbow's 2009 release Eating Us, Its some pretty basic photoshop, but it catches the eye, and the album booklet has eight more cool looking photos on the inside. I picked out one of my favorites along with the album cover and the back art and shoved it in those fancy spoiler tags. The drippy artwork fits well with their abstract electronic music, their name is a mushroom reference after all.

Just for fun here is their 2007 cover for the album Dandelion Bubblegum, pretty trippy in it own right. More drippy artwork too, this cover set the table for Eating Us.

black-moth-super-rainbow-dandelion-.jpg

So I recently bought this album by Hudson Mohawk, and it has some pretty cool cover art, but the picture on the inside where even better, just some good old fashion photoshop work, but cool and trippy none the less.

Here is the Cover, very creative, cool colors, and gives a hint of what is yet to come.

DigitalBooklet-Butterpdf-AdobeReade.jpg

These two picture on the inside are amazing, I love the art and the creativity. These pictures really stand out, and feel I could look at them for hours sometimes.

The art fits well with the music too, in a strange way the art actually makes the music more enjoyable for me.

DigitalBooklet-Butterpdf-AdobeRe-1.jpg

DigitalBooklet-Butterpdf-AdobeRe-2.jpg

mechanical-animals_500.jpg

The obvious response is the whole ''boobs'' thing. But I want to break down why this is my favorite, for the less than intelligent people who just look at the shock value.

1) The obvious, It was a homage to David Bowie. ''The Jean Genie, Ziggy stardust''. Manson stated throughout his career that Bowie is a huge inspiration to him. From the way he transforms himself each album, down to the lyrical nature of his songs.So this is obviously the inspiration for the transformation of Manson into Omega, The persona of half the M.A album songs.

2) It shows a shorter hair cut and a red dye job. A way to show the difference in the supposed ''Goth'' look he had on his first three albums.

3) The alien motiff is for obvious reasons. He was the most outcasted artist for reasons that only his detractors knew. And he felt like an alien. Hence the outfit and prothetics.

4) The mechanical animals title itself shows how controlled hollywood and media are. Thats the point of Omega, To show the heartlessness of the media and how they use you when your different, Made money off you, Then like a wet tabloid paper, Your thrown away, and treated like nothing. Like humans do animals most of the time.

This is one of the best album covers ever and says so much about Manson as a man, and as a band.

They are NOT a cliche, They are NOT a trend, They different, and always will be. Be shocked and amazed, But also respect and admire

I be working my necro magic all over the music section.

I found this awesome looking thread about album art in the depths of the music section, and I figured there's enough fresh meat round' these parts to let some of the newer folk have at this simple, yet complex thread.

Within the last two weeks I picked up a new CD from one of my favorite West Coast dub masters, Heyoka. One day soon, I'll post up a beautiful showcase of his work in the Dubstep thread; but today it's his mind bending artwork that will grab your attention.

First I'll go with the most recent Album cover, entitled Cosmic Boogie. Now with a name like Cosmic Boogie, you know your gonna get something trippy, and trippy is exactly what you get here. This album cover is kind of like taking mushrooms without actually taking mushrooms, anyway, here ya go.

Cosmic Boogie
430633.jpg

Now, I'll give you two for the price of one. Both of these album covers are a trip, especially the cover for the album Marklar, probably one of my all time favorite covers. The other cover for Whomp Gland/Pineal Dub is just a nice one to gaze upon, nothing like taking an evil looking picture and adding some fucking cemetery to the situation.

Marklar
00-Heyoka-Marklar-2010-FLAC.jpg

Whomp Gland/Pineal Dub
l_235ff7e5982b4199fb0cdbec17a713e4.jpg

screamadelica.jpg

For me, it has always been Primal Scream- Screamadelica

This cover perfectly represented the early 90s rock/dance/rave/house movement in England, which Primal Scream were a major part of.

It looks like something that would be printed on a pill, and the music itself just fits in well, the dancey pcyschodelic music mixed with guitaring.

I have been looking for a tshirt with this logo on, but am yet to find one

I'd have to say a trippy cover that I love is Seether's: Disclaimer II. It is like two psychadelic figures locked in almost a kiss, and their heads are branching out.

Another cover art I dig is Bloodhound Gang- Hefty Fine, its a grossly obese naked man squished inside a cardboard box. Its hilarious, and it fits the comedy personality of BHG. I dig the concept.

Then I like Andrew WK-I Get Wet where his face is all covered with blood, as graphic as it was at first, its so in your face and its just like his album, and I think it was the perfect way to catch people's attention. Damn record stores for putting a darker cellophane over the cd's lower half on the outside cover.

Pantera-Far Beyond Driven: this one was an anus being pierced by a drill bit...c'mon, that is true hardcore. Then the group changed it to the skull with the drill bit. That first one was way too awesome when I saw it originally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back