Countdown to Mosley vs Mayweather

The Roid Rage

Getting Noticed By Management
140eov8.jpg

Hello everyone good of you to drop in. We are just a matter of days away from the fight that has all the potential to become a Fight of the Year candidate. The show down This match between Sugar Shane Mosley and Floyd Money Mayweather has been long anticipated, a fight some thought would never happen. A fight many Boxing enthusiasts have wanted to see for years.

When these two warriors step in the ring on Saturday night history will be made one way or the other. If Shane Mosley can serve Floyd Mayweather the first defeat in his illustrious career, he will have dethroned arguably the top pound for pound fighter of the last decade and solidified his place in Boxing history as one of the greatest of all time. This victory would also warrant a super fight between Shane Mosley and the current and undisputed pound for pound king, Philippino God Manny Pacquiao in what would be one of the greatest fights since Hagler-Hearns. Mosley already holds 2 victories over a young Oscar De La Hoya that shot him into super-stardom. If he can beat the brakes off of Mayweather, that would put him back on the level he once was or catapult him into another orbit.

For Floyd Mayweather much hangs in the balance. A victory over Shane Mosley would give great credit to the claims of Floyd Mayweather being the best in the world, but the Pacquiao Express still looms in his future as well if he is to truly fulfill his claims. Mayweather is easily one of the most talented boxers of this generation, but his true grit and suspect chin still come in question as he has never faced an opponent as equipped to do him damage as Shane Mosley. Here Mayweather will be the smaller man unlike many of his biggest fights where he has been able to control smaller men in the ring. One still can not deny his defensive skills and boxing prowess however as he still remains undefeated.

I do have a fight prediction for this one, but I am not going to give it out yet. I want to know what you think, and how you see this fight going. I want to know where you think this fight stands in historical significance, and What you think will or will not happen as a result of either mans victory. After a few responses I will give my evaluation and fight prediction to which you can all respond as well.

I’m very, very excited for this fight.

Shane Mosley is an unsung great of the boxing World. I mean, RIGHT NOW he’s getting the praise he deserves, but that’s only because they’re trying to hype the fight. However, before then, when talking about Pound 4 Pound the Best Fighters in the World, a lot of people would forget about him. You’d bring up his name and someone would say, “Oh yeah, he’s good, too.” But never was he included with Mayweather, Pacquiao, Paul Williams, the Klitschko Brothers, etc. as the best in the World.

The fact is, Mosley, while he can get a little wild sometimes, is the only person who comes close to Mayweather’s speed in and around this weight class. And what’s amazing about Mosley is not only does he have that speed, but holy fuck he punches like a Heavyweight, and because of that, he actually FIGHTS, rather than being a counter puncher/defensive fighter, which someone of his speed would usually be. But not Mosley; no, he wants to fight, knock his opponent out, and give the people their money’s worth.

Floyd Mayweather, the poster boy of defensive fighting; he uses his speed and footwork to counter punches and look for openings throughout the fight. He does not like to brawl, and he will avoid it at all cost, especially against someone with the power of Shane Mosley. The guy is simply too fast and too smart to get caught up in brawls that he cannot win. And I don’t think he’ll make that mistake against Mosley. But what makes this fight so interesting, is that Mayweather, at some points in the fight, might not have a choice but to brawl a little bit. Mosley will put Mayweather in circumstances where he MUST exchange. Not many fighters can or have been able to accomplish that; I think Mosley has the speed and footwork to do so, which will make for a very interesting fight.

All in all, it’s a very hard one to predict. If you put a gun to my head and forced me to bet on this one, then I’d pick Mayweather by unanimous decision, but at the same time… I do think this will be his toughest fight since his the Oscar De La Hoya bout, and I do think it’s possible that Mosley could shock the World and pull off the upset. I certainly cannot wait to find out.

With the fight less than 5 days away I thought it would be good to get everyone up to speed. As a result what I decided to do was show you the HBO 24/7 Mayweather - Mosley. This series follows both fighters and gives insight to their everyday lives, personalities, training techniques, and helps draw the lines more clearly as to what is at stake in this monumental fight of the decade.

The videos are all on YouTube. There are 3 shows all in 3 parts. I have provided the links in order of show and part to make it easy. Give these a watch, and come back to tell us what you think about this fight, who's going to win, as well as how and why. Time is ticking away until this superfight comes underway, get your predictions in before Saturday May 1st when Sugar Shane Mosley and Floyd Money Mayweather clash for the first time to prove who is the real champion.

EP 1 pt.1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oqc0xQqRXg
EP 1 pt.2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKUQiVRW2Vo
EP 1 pt.3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nuu7anU738

EP 2 pt.1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAgJGhncv_k
EP 2 pt.2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFIFnPafG00&feature=related
EP 2 pt.3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tcdyNM61ds&feature=related

EP 3 pt.1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te4W_7MdRVA&feature=related
EP 3 pt.2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozLWnvbvREc&feature=related
EP 3 pt.3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRLYEV0hLn0&feature=related

Enjoy everyone.

Well this was well received wasn't it? I said I would give my fight prediction but I was waiting for other people to maybe say what they thought before I did just to see what you all thought first as the host of the thread. Now that no one has said anything but JMT and it's the day of the fight, it's time for me to lay it out as I see it going.

First of all I think it's going to go the distance, I'm pretty sure that is almost a certainty. I don't foresee either guy running out of gas down the stretch even though Mosley is older he's conditioned to go at the pace he likes for that amount of time or longer which is faster than what Mayweather likes to go. The reason this is important to go over is because if one of them ran out of gas down the stretch it would be more feasible that one would knock the other out, call it the Tommy Hearns Effect. Nonetheless I don't foresee any knockouts, maybe knockdowns if anything and I still don't think it to be very likely. Mosley would be the most likely to hit the canvas if at all only because of his own momentum behind his punches, he can lunge in sometimes and if you move right you can basically trip him and throw a jab to technically score a knockdown which I am sure Mayweather would try to do, but I still don't see that happening.

I'm pretty sure that Mosley is going to come out and fight Mayweather much like De La Hoya was doing for the first 5 rounds of their fight. He'll come out and be the aggressor cutting off the ring and catching Floyd either against the ropes, in the corners, or rushing forward pressing the exchanges. Mosley will use his jab to set up multiple hooks to which Mayweather will more than likely try to absorb on his arms or shoulders as Mosley walks him down. Now Floyd isn't one to be walked down so it's not just going to be as easy as that, Mosley is going to have to really be on his footwork to catch Mayweather the way he's going to want to, but he definitely has the footwork to do it. It's a matter of how Floyd reacts to the offense of Mosley that will be the best he's ever faced.

If Mayweather is going to win this fight he is really going to have to open up on Mosley and let his guard down a bit, this will draw Mosley in and allow Floyd the opportunity to do what he loves to do most, counter-punch. If Mayweather can land some meaningful counters he might be able to open up some bigger shots, but that's only if Mosley takes the bait. I wouldn't make that my total game plan but if Floyd lowers his guard just a bit Mosley will be confident he can get through it and Mayweather will be able to counter him if he goes for it. The Jab as always is going to be a big punch for Mayweather in this fight as well as Mosley, the guy who controls the jab territory is probably going to be the one who wins the fight.

Both of these guys have great jabs so once again, this comes down to who is going to be able to move the other man around the ring, that being the case, Mosley will be the one to do that. Mosley is the bigger and stronger fighter, every bit as fast as Mayweather maybe faster. They have different kinds of speed; Mayweather is quick with individual punches and you don't see him put together more than 2 or 3 as a result, Mosley is much quicker in flurries and so you see him put 4,5,6 or more together but he might not throw his jab as lighting fast as the punches in those flurries, he picks and chooses where to be faster or slower. Both of these guys are extremely cerebral in every way, it's going to be interesting to see who is the smarter fighter in this one. Mayweather consistently has come with the safety first, defense heavy game plan that lacks offense, where Mosley comes with heavy offense and is defensively on par.

In this case I think the bigger man is going to be the better man and I take Mosley by split decision handing Floyd Mayweather his first loss. Mosley is bigger, at least equal in speed, stamina, more powerful puncher, more experienced, battle tested, extremely smart in the ring, great footwork, great head and waist movement, all the ingredient for the recipe to beat Floyd Mayweather. Since Floyd is undefeated I think he is due for a loss and Mosley is the guy to deliver it to him.

Well, I got around to watching it earlier this afternoon, and while I can understand why people found it boring, I have to agree with Game_Rage's post in the Bar Room that the only thing I noticed about the fight was Floyd Mayweather's skill as a boxer, and Mosley's heart to actually keep fighting and finish the fight.

Floyd Mayweather's performance was brilliant and right now he is undoubtedly the best Mayweather we've ever seen. He NEEDS to fight Manny Pacquiao. It just has to happen, because Pacquiao is the only person who is fast enough to keep up with Mayweather (I thought Mosley would have been fast enough too, but I was clearly wrong on that one; however, no way Mayweather controls Manny for 10 straight rounds like he did Mosley).

But props to Mosley as well. Not only did he clearly win the first two rounds, but he actually caught Mayweather in the 2nd and had him dazed on the ropes. That was really, really impressive; however, all it did was wake up Mayweather and he didn't make another mistake for TEN straight rounds. It was straight up brilliant, but again... props to Mosley for actually hanging in there and continue fighting.

With all that said though, this fight to me proves my point that the Middleweight Division is by far the most superior division in Boxing. While I will not disrespect this fight by calling it "boring," it WAS one-sided and there was a bunch of inactivity. In the Middleweight Division, as the Super Six Tournament has showed us, there are evenly matched fighters all across the board, and because of that... there are nothing but great, exciting fights in the division (unless they involve Dirrell, of course, lol). Last night's fight between Mayweather and Mosley was a showing of brilliance from one hand and heart on the other, but it was not exciting, nor very competitive. And unfortunately, that's how every fight in the Welterweight Division is right now since nobody is anywhere close to being as good as Mayweather and Pac Man, and since those two have refused to fight each other up to this point.

well, after this fight i have to say that boxing is really in trouble. this fight was exciting.. for the first two rounds. after that, watching mayweather win every single round just wasn't exciting at all. this fight was supposed to be big, exciting, a close fight and... we got a boring inactive fight again. once pacquiao and mayweather is over, then what can either of them do? there's no one left. now that this fight is over, obviously that superfight is next. and even though its sad, i believe that will be the last majorly publicized fight in professional boxing. if not forever, then for a long time. at least until a fighter comes in and actually fights, not just someone that does what he needs to win then sits back and plays the defense card. the glory days of boxing are over after this next fight. sorry boxing fans, its the sad truth.

No, it's not yet over. There will be new and young boxers coming to make boxing even more exciting. There are young men who will follow the footsteps of great boxers. Since Mayweather has defeated Mosley, it's time for him to face Philippines' Manny Pacquaio. He should not try to avoid this fight or else he's not really the great boxer we thought him to be. The fight will be the next big thing in Boxing for which the fans are excited about. I, for one, is awaiting for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back