• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Could WWE induct Rick "The Sign Guy" Achberger into the Hall of Fame?

Derf

O.M.G.
Over the past few years, the WWE has been trying to get closer with the fans in many ways. They created the term "WWE Universe", and they say they'll do anything for us, blah blah blah...

Watching RAW this past week then they gave the Angry Miz Girl a slammy, it got me thinking. They just used a legit fan to push a storyline, and it worked wonders. But as popular as that fan was, there is one fan just about everyone knows: Rick Achberger, aka The Sign Guy.

He's been to dozens of shows a year, about 8 WrestleManias, and the WWE has even made mention of him a few times. John Cena made it a point to talk to him when he was "fired", he was on Deal of no Deal a few years ago, and he even had a video posted on WWE.com promoting a Wrestlemania.

No doubt, the biggest WWE fan alive, and it's no secret either. Other people have been inducted into the HOF for less, do you think the WWE would show what the fans mean to them by actually inducting one into the HOF, and in comparison to the Celebrity Wing, do you think Rick deserves to be among some of those names?

Wtf? If Hunter doesn't want Goldberg in the HOF, because he wrestled for about 8 years which isn't really long enough to be inducted, then why would this guy get inducted? He goes to shows...who cares? Why taint the HOF by doing something stupid like this? It would be like inducting Hornswoggle in like 20 years. Terrible idea.

Wtf? If Hunter doesn't want Goldberg in the HOF, because he wrestled for about 8 years which isn't really long enough to be inducted, then why would this guy get inducted? He goes to shows...who cares? Why taint the HOF by doing something stupid like this? It would be like inducting Hornswoggle in like 20 years. Terrible idea.

They have Pete Rose in the HoF...just saying.

I'd think it'd be pretty cool if they wanted to interact with the fans more, but right now I'm not real sure on this idea...

They have Pete Rose in the HoF...just saying.

I'd think it'd be pretty cool if they wanted to interact with the fans more, but right now I'm not real sure on this idea...

haha that's true but he got inducted into the "celebrity wing" of the HOF, the sign guy isn't a celebrity he just won a game show. That's hardly enough to get inducted. At least Pete took an ass whoopin'.

Hall of Fame - No. However, I could see them doing something along the lines of this: The present him with an award for most active member of the WWE Universe. Then they show a quick clip of all his signs. While hes in the ring. A heel comes down and beats him up to show that he doesnt need the fans.

Note: When he went on Deal or No Deal, WWE actually sent Edge and Bobby Lashley to boo him and hold up signs. Also, in Batistas book he talks about how everyone knows him and he eats with the wrestlers after shows a lot. He also refuses to take free tickets and always pays for himself.

No way should the sign guy get inducted. The HOF has become alot more legitimate in recent years and thats the way it should stay.

Inducting this guy would be a slap in the face for the hard-working wrestlers who have contributed alot to WWE over the years and yet have never been deemed worthy of the hall of fame. Inducting a fan would be a terrible idea in my opinion.

I agree with Natural on this one. The Hall of Fame has become more prestigious than it ever has been over the past couple of years. They don't just induct superstars that have been retired for a few years, or superstars that have passed away, they induct people who are actually legends like Antonio Inoki.

Isn't that what the Hall of Fame is about? Becoming a Legend? The last time I checked, Pete Rose got chokeslammed on 3 seperate occasions by Kane and got inducted. Whether it's the celebrity wing or not, he's still in the WWE Hall of Fame and it's an incredibly stupid addition to something that should be granted to the highest of people.

While I do agree with the majority of the above posters with respect to NOT inducting the sign guy, I also think that it's worth pointing out that many posters also talk about the hall of fame being prestigious. While that's true to some extent, I think the hall of fame has become romanticized as something truly wonderful that only the top wrestlers deserve. Ideally, that would be true, but let's be honest...the hall of fame is as much about politics as it is anything else. Perhaps it would be if inductees were decided by folks who have been watching wrestling since the 50s. But it's a very political machine. So in the end, there are some great trailblazers that will never be inducted, and there will be plenty of folks who are inducted just because they have a good relationship with vince or they need a few more names to fill out the list that year.

No man, just no.

What has he done to be relevant other then to buy tickets to 20 shows, make a creative sign now and then, and wear the same clothing to every show? WWE wants to be mainstream and seen as "Sports Entertainment", and inducting a man who has never been acknowledged on camera by announcers at a WWE show(that I recall), let alone step foot into a ring should never step foot into the Hall of Fame.

It spits in the face of every wrestler who has carved out a mediocre, albeit long career within the WWE and haven't received the HOF recognition. A non-wrestler or someone not a celebrity involved in the angle should never be inducted into the HOF, and I even question the idea of celebrities who were brought in for one-offs. So no, it would kill the legitimacy of the HOF to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back